PDA

View Full Version : One-Shot for the Moonshaes?

Palanan
2012-08-27, 02:09 PM
My seafaring campaign has taken an unexpected turn towards the Moonshaes, literally, and I'd like to run a one-shot session for local flavor.

Can anyone suggest a good mini-encounter that's appropriate for a small fourth-level party? Other than a low-level cleric, the party is entirely martial, and currently lacking in the ranged-attack department. Is there a good coastal encounter out there?

Diarmuid
2012-08-27, 02:57 PM
Mysteries of the Moonsea has a bunch of little 1 shot adventures, some of them are coastal in nature. They sort of run in a related manner so they could be run together, but I bet you could poach a few choice ones to help fill out some bare patches.

Palanan
2012-08-27, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestion; I often overlook the Moonsea book.

Unfortunately, it looks like most of the encounters are for characters well above my party's level, and the ones that are EL-appropriate (dwarven nutjob wizard; creepy urban warehouse) wouldn't really fit with the Moonshaes theme.

Right now the castaways include a halfling swashbuckler, a nature-y cleric, and a rogue/warblade--all fourth level--and two seamen, essentially first-level experts. What would be a good EL to challenge this group?

Diarmuid
2012-08-28, 09:06 AM
Using the SRD Encounter Calculator (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/) it jumps from "Easy" at an EL 3 to Very Hard at EL 4 (using 3 4th lvl PC's and 2 1st lvl PCs as the group).

I'd say it depends how hard you want this encounter to be.

Palanan
2012-08-28, 12:40 PM
Aha. I don't think I'd known about that feature. That's very useful, thanks.

Right now, I'm thinking of doing something light with a ghost...partly because it's easy to place on a deserted beach, and mainly because the party's just spent several days dealing with illusionary "ghosts" projected by a beguiler. That's just too much fun to pass up.

:smalltongue:

SamBurke
2012-08-28, 12:47 PM
Refluff... that warehouse sounds like it could be a pirate hideout, for example. Or a place where smugglers store their loot.

Palanan
2012-08-28, 01:39 PM
Well, the warehouse setup didn't feel right, and even relocated there's nothing about it that really says "Moonshaes." And I have some other ideas about pirates.

For now, I'm thinking about a ghost...possibly in sand dunes, possibly sea-cliffs; and an old, old bard, who's been trying to find it without success. Add PCs, stir gently. Still working it out.