PDA

View Full Version : A Sense of Adventure [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Roguenewb
2012-08-27, 08:17 PM
Two Weeks Before Midsummer
10 o'clock AM

The sun is high in the eastern sky. Today is the day! All your lives, for one reason or another, you've dreamed about finally setting out and seeing the world itself! You've taken the first step into the wide world beyond the tiny town of Ander's Knoll, first stop, Oakhurst! You've heard of this little town, some 30 miles away. Midday tomorrow, you should be there. You're first new place! You can't wait!

What a motley little group you are, a group of loose friends from town. Ilden, the boy who always helped cater to the few travelers, now a traveler himself! Lythe, on of the stranger girls in town, but she seems handy with the blade she carries. Darian, that bookish elf who studied with Ander's Knoll's wizard, who will he fare on the road? James, a simple farm boy with a knack for mischief, he's with you too, here's hoping he doesn't get himself into too much trouble! And perhaps strangest of all, Old Man Tralen, the local legend, who supposedly had a thousand adventures in his time, his cat and dog seem dedicated to following you on your trip! All you have spent weeks of planning together, making sure you had the right gear, enough food, even a mule! As much fun as it was to plan, you also felt a bit of fear, where you really gonna do this? What would it be like?

The sun in your eyes, your home at your back, and your adventures before you, you set off on the new road!

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-27, 10:40 PM
Shebb

The adventuring band having lived in Ander's Knoll for some time, everyone will likely know the animals' names.

On the afternoon when the adventurers had first met to plan their departure, Old Man Tralen's cat had stumbled in through the window halfway through the meeting. A bit odd, perhaps, but (likely) none thought too much of it. At each of the subsequent meetings, however, the group would find both Shebb and Simon, the great mastiff, waiting intently for their arrival – the former sitting patiently on the table, the latter on the floor (often licking himself). Judging by the look in his eye, one might even think that Shebb had been... listening to their plans.

But that would be absurd. Wouldn't it? These were just two more pets – and despite the prestige of their former owner, that's all they would ever be. Still, senile old Nan would occasionally tell stories from decades past – tales of Old Tralen's glory days, when he stood tall with a sword in hand... and his beloved cat by his side.

Today, at journey's start, the two had come trudging up just as the group was setting out. After a moment of silently staring at the four adventurers, Shebb leapt up onto Simon's back. The big gray mastiff, tail wagging and tongue hanging from his mouth, gave off a short, happy bark, and set off down the road.

Shebb has spent the journey so far curled up in a ball on the dog's back. Their presence is undeniably odd – as is the peculiar, padded saddle the dog wears, seemingly fitted perfectly to afford the cat a comfortable ride.

Now, having rested his fill, Shebb uncurls and rises in a deep stretch. Shaking his mane, he leaps to the ground and continues down the path alongside his long time companion.

PersonMan
2012-08-28, 02:37 AM
Lythe

Lythe has been fairly quiet during the meetings, and still is now. For everything related to food, she simply said that she wouldn't need to bring any. The shadows that follow her everywhere thicken now, as they always do when she walks, making it even easier to mistake her for a boy than it was before. Her weapon, the Black Cleaver, is strapped to her back, the handle sticking straight up in a way that would make it all but impossible to draw without dragging it over her head. The armor Lythe wears is dark, hardened leather and steel made together into a protective suit that covers her from below the neck to her shadow-encircled wrists. Her hands are free, but apart from that it's all covered by the leather, which is clearly made to deflect blows away from her center, rather than focusing on maximum mobility. When she arrived to set off, she seemed slightly winded, like someone who had just been exerting themselves without going into a full sweat, and more energetic than normal. Since then it's faded, though.

Lythe's gaze is on the road, but she doesn't seem to be concentrating on her surroundings but rather lost in thoughts. This happens fairly often, every now and then she seems to 'shut down'. When this occurs she becomes quite unaware of her surroundings. Of course, even without this she often misses things that seem fairly obvious to you all. Occasionally she seems to say things in this state, but never loud enough to hear. Whenever she does start talking her voice is a bit odd; it sounds lower than it normally is. Over the course of a sentence of two it starts to rise, gaining a more feminine tone.

Right now she seems to be mouthing something, her lips moving slowly. Every few steps the shadows around her ripple, like water disturbed by something dropped into it. Whether or not this is caused by her 'speech' is unclear. Occasionally she actually does speak in a low, sharp whisper, quiet enough that her words are all but impossible to make out. She does seem to be repeating something that sounds like 'iron', though.

Shebb:
Since Aberrant feats give a penalty to Handle Animal, I'd guess that Simon and you, being animals or very attuned to animals, notice that there's something...off about her. Something...wrong.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 06:24 AM
Ilden

The tall man whistles a jaunty tune, walking beside the mule, so as to feel the road beneath his feet. Finally! My travels begin! To walk the road and see the wonders of this world, I can think of no better thing. May my journey both honor and please you, my lord Fharlanghn. A gust of wind blows, and Ilden's robe part for a moment to show a studded leather jerkin underneath, and a dagger clearly meant for more than cutting meat. The pole he carries in his hand is stout oak, well-worn from its constant use over the years. The holy symbol of Fharlanghn hangs about his neck, as it does the mule's saddle. Ilden reaches into his pack, and pulls out a thick book. Brushing a few stray hairs out of his face, he flips through it, occasionally stopping at a page. "Well now, our journey has begun! Where shall we go first?

Knowledge (Geography), to find out about the area, and the locations of any towns, ruins, caves or other adventuresome areas: [roll0]
Knowledge (History), to do the same: [roll1]
Lore, to do the same: [roll2]

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 07:29 AM
Darian

Taking one last look around Ander's Knoll, Darian feels a sense almost like regret. He has chosen to abandon the only home that he has ever known in search of his past, as well as adventure. The question "Was it worth it?" will always remain in his mind, although he would always answer "Yes."

At long last, we are departing. With luck, I will be able to learn more of my past, as well as test my theories. I am making the right choice.

Looking around at his friends, Ildren, Lythe, Shebb, and James, knowing that he has chosen well, and that they would be able to handle whatever comes, he is content to walk in silence, content to remember the events that brought them all together, as well as the good times had in the village. At Ilden's question, he simply gestures down the road, as that is th eonly choice available.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 07:35 AM
Nightfall

Ilden's Memory
You remember vague rumors of an ancient ruin near the nearby town of Oakhurst. You can't remember anything more specific, but you distinctly recall hearing about a cult that disappeared from the area 300 years ago

The day passes easily enough. For eight hours you walk the Road. Heading into the east for almost twenty miles before the sun begins to set. The first day passed easily enough. But here it is, your first night away from Ander's Knoll on your great adventure, how will you pass it?

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 08:18 AM
Ilden

"I say we head to Oakhurst first. There are some ruins near there that might be interesting. There was a cult in that area a few hundred years ago. They might be connected. First though, I'll find a place to set up camp."

Survival, to find a good campsite, hidden from the road, out of the wind, and hopefully near a water source: [roll0]

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 09:36 AM
Darian
"As far as I know, Oakhurst is the only destination we have at this time. Once there, we can probably find something to do. As far as camping goes, picking a site does not really matter. We could just camp on the road, or nearby."

Once there, I can try to find records of the caravan I came from. I should have tried this years ago, but the road may have been dangerous.

PersonMan
2012-08-28, 10:19 AM
Lythe

As the end of the day nears, Lythe's mood seems to improve.

"I'll be fine with camping near the road," she says, clearing her throat beforehand to lessen the usual roughness in her first few words. With this said, she starts to pick leaves off of the nearest trees and bushes, not seeming to care which kind of plant she takes them from. She doesn't take too many from any specific one, spreading out her picking to keep from stripping a single plant too bare.

With the darkness here, it should be fine to stay with these people. We're in a good sized group, so that should deter any wild animals from trying to take our food. Maybe we should set up a watch? Be careful when painting reality tonight, there might be bandit attacks later. Only two options exist for us...me. Greatness or death.

"Maybe we should set up a watch? You know, to make sure nothing comes by looking to eat your food," Lythe says after a few moments' thought. She says 'your food' as if it's completely normal that she isn't carrying any with her at all.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 10:51 AM
Night

The sun sets behind the rolling hills to the west. As it sets, the sky to the west lights up in a beautiful display or oranges, reds and purple; truly a wonderful sunset. The sun fades from sky as Ilden makes a simply camp and starts a fire. The fresh sausage, cheese and bread you packed in Ander's Knoll tastes sweeter today than any day you can remember.

The night sky fills with stars, all twinkling down on your little party in your small campsite. The air smells like grass and flowers, and you keep hear chirps and buzzes from the grasslands around you.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 11:52 AM
Ilden
After dinner, Ilden beds down near Hawser. The mule is too well-trained to go anywhere.*yawn* A most pleasant beginning to our adventure.I'll take the last watch. Wake me an hour before dawn. We'll set out for Oakhurst an hour after daybreak.

The Journal of Ilden the Silver

The Year XXXX, two weeks before midsummer.
Weather: Balmy. The sun shone brightly, and the temperature was pleasant.

My companions and I set forth from Ander's Knoll today. I feel Fharlanghn has blessed our journey with an auspicious beginning. I'm a bit worried about the elven wizard with us, who goes by Darian. He seems a bit frail for the trials of the road. I've heard fearsome tales of the powers of mages, but it seems a simple housecat could easily cripple the fellow. Speaking of that, there is a housecat following us. For some reason, it is riding on a dog. They both belonged to Old Man Tralen, the local retired adventurer. I suppose they both acquired the taste for adventure from him! Lythe is the best blade of our group. There have always been strange rumors about her, but I suppose anything out of the strictly ordinary is bound to arise such things in a town as small and sleepy as Ander's Knoll. I suppose she has come if for no other reason than to live such provincial opinions behind. They say that her ancestors came from another plane, but I have little reason to believe such. If it is true though, that would be nothing to hold against her. After all, somewhere in my bloodline is a being from the celestial realms. James has said little. He has a penchant for getting himself into trouble, but nothing serious. We are heading to Oakhurst. I passed close once with Garren, but we did not go in. The stars shine brightly, and the sounds of the countryside lull me to sleep. May Fharlanghn bless our path and guide us.

PersonMan
2012-08-28, 12:12 PM
Lythe

Lythe lets the others eat, sweeping together a comfortable place to rest on the ground for herself. While she had chosen to go without food, she didn't want the others to realize precisely why at this point. Perhaps it was just shyness, but Lythe felt nervous about it somehow.

"I'll take first watch, then. Sleep well," Lythe says, her voice faltering slightly at the end. Clearly, she isn't used to saying those words.

Better to keep it a secret, secret. We can't be sure of how they'll feel about it yet. Us. Them. Always different. Only way it's ever been. Always. For ever.

Once the others seem to have settled down, she gathers together the leaves she's gathered and begins to eat them, stacking them or rolling them up until she's had her fill. Then she stands and, with a final look at the others, begins going through the first set of her forms, working the muscles she uses in each swing of the Black Cleaver.

After Lythe is done with those, she sits down and focuses entirely on her surroundings. Once she can't keep herself awake any longer, she wakes up the one who took second watch and begins to write in a small book she takes from inside her armor.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 12:34 PM
Shebb

Shebb passes much of the day dozing atop the dog's fitted saddle. Occasionally, something just off the road would catch his eye, and he would snap to ready attention. Nothing ever came of it, though, excepting a rustling in the bushes from some frightened animal about half way through the day.

At camp, Simon circles for a few moments before finding a spot to lay down – a spot which happens to be on the opposite side of the fire from the strange girl, Lythe.

Shebb's head disappears into one of Simon's packs, and reemerges with two small leather pouches. He bites at the chord sealing them, and the bags fall to the ground, opened with surprising ease, revealing two good sized piles of animal feed. Simon, now back on his feet and tail wagging wildly, stares intently at Shebb. Shebb seems almost to nod, and Simon digs in. Shebb himself takes a few bites at a time over the first half hour or so of camp.

As the last bits of daylight fall away, Simon curls up by the fire. Shebb, however, sits intently, staring out into the darkness.

Shebb remains awake through Lythe's watch, sitting across the fire from her. He will examine the strange girl intently, as he has for much of the day so far.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 12:47 PM
A Week and Six Days Before Midsummer
Dawn

The night passes, warm and clear. Throughout the night, the moon marches a stately waltz across the sky, the stars dancing around it. Bugs chirp and buzz, frogs croak, and you hear a single wolf howl around midnight, but nothing more comes of it. Unless you awaken earlier for another reason, you all wake with the dawn-light.

Again, there is no hint of cloud on this fine day, and all you can see is the road, rolling grasslands, and an occasional copse of trees. At great distance in the north, you can see the barest hint of mountains on the horizon. You realize the road must have pointed more north than you thought, even on the clearest day in Ander's Knoll you can't see the Wyvernwatch Mountains, the only mountains those could possibly be...

The day is waiting, the sun is rising, and adventure is out there! What do you do?

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 12:57 PM
Shebb

As the group rises, they will find the two animals sitting calmly in front of both Simon's saddle and a few pieces of strong aged leather. Mild inspection will show that these seem to be bits of well-worn barding.

Simon barks happily as the others ready themselves. If no one comes to him, he grabs a piece of barding in his mouth, walks up to Ilden, and drops it at his feet. Staring expectantly up at the young priest, he sits. Tail still wagging, he barks once again and stares up, panting lightly.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 01:01 PM
Darian
Darian, upon being awakened from reverie, Stretches, and starts packing for the road again. He also pulls out some cold sausages, and passes them around for breakfast.

It seems to be a fine morning. Time to get moving again. With any luck, we can reach Oakhurst today.

"Everyone ready to go?"

Once everyone has indicated they are ready, he sets out for Oakhurst, but he falls back from the first position soon after, having little desire to lead the party.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 01:04 PM
Ilden

Ilden ***** his head and stares down at the strange dog. "Ummm, I suppose you want that saddle put on, huh?". Ilden bends down and puts the saddle on the dog, and tries to put the barding on as best he can. "Where did the old man find you two? As far as I know, he didn't have any magic or anything."

Seriously forum filter? Fine, he bends his head.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 01:11 PM
Shebb
Simon barks happily as Ilden moves to outfit him. He stands calmly, tail still wagging, until everything is in place.

Trotting over, Shebb circles around the dog, almost examining the gear. He bites down on a clasp on the saddle. Pulling, he tightens the strap, bringing it taught. He then turns to Ilden, meows once, and hops onto the back of the old mastiff.

The two are ready to set off, it seems.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 01:13 PM
Darian

Darian watches the animals, wondering about them. Something seems odd about them.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 02:03 PM
An hour after dawn

After morning preparations and a meal, you start off on the road again. After an hour of walking on the dry road, the road turns north. Now, marching almost due north, you feel the heat of the building day. About an hour before noon, you're sweating heavily, and you can see a small town in the distance, when you crest a hill. Seeing what can only be Oakhurst buoys your spirits, even as the day gets even hotter.

About an hour after noon, in the stifling heat of the early afternoon, you approach a small village. A lean, young-looking half elf woman leans against a small news board, taking advantage of the shade provided by the small awning above the structure.

"Hold up there, strangers" the woman says, with just the slightest hint of an accent, ever so slightly different from common in Ander's Knoll. "My name's Felosial, and I'm constable of Oakhurst. Now, you don't look like traders, but if you're god-fearing folk and you aren't up to no good, you're more than welcome in Oakhurst. But if you're looking for mischief, just turn the other way and march on back down the road. There's a town, some day's march back that way, maybe they'll take you in." She looks you over, seemingly trying to assess you. She frowns hard for a moment, then let's out a coarse laugh.

"So, now that I've put the fear of Pelor in ya, what brings youngfellows like you to Oakhurst? And outta the empty lands nonetheless." She says, a broad smiling making it almost difficult to imagine her intimidation earlier.

http://s19.postimage.org/8vqe5qr6r/oakhurst_map.jpg (http://postimage.org/) picture hosting (http://postimage.org/)

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 02:11 PM
Darian
Smiling, and glad to have reached the next town, Darian replies.
"I am Darian, and these are Ilden, Lythe. Adventure bring us here. We are from Andur's Knoll, the village down the road. We figured that heading down the road was a good way to start an adventurer. We also remember something about some ruins near here. Additionally, I am here to try to figure out about my past. I was part of a caravan that may have came through here twenty years ago. Do you know anything about it? Or know someone who does? It was a fairly large caravan of elves. It was destroyed on the road to Andur's Knoll."

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 02:11 PM
Ilden

"Well, I don't fear my god, but I'm not up to trouble anyways. I am Ilden, called the Silver, priest of Fharlanghn. We come from the town of Ander's Knoll, down in what you have called the empty lands. That is, of course, a bit of a misnomer, for there are few if any lands that are empty, simply ones that we don't yet know. I come for adventure, and my companions much the same, if of a bit different temperament and goal.

Starting one minute of Diplomacy: [roll0]

PersonMan
2012-08-28, 02:40 PM
Lythe

Lythe seems preoccupied with her thoughts both during the night and in the morning. She doesn't notice Sebb's attention. In the morning, with few preparations to make, she works through her morning exercises then sits down for a few minutes, seeming to slip into a sort of meditation.

Eating more of what she gathered yesterday after stepping away from the others, Lythe puts on her armor and goes off with the others down the road.

As they approach Oakhurst, Lythe seems a bit happier, although she doesn't seem to like the sun shining down on them. She nods as Darian introduces her, not saying anything herself. This girl reminder her of her sister, a bit...Just enough to make her angry.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 02:52 PM
An Hour After Noon

"Twenty years ago? Hmm, I would have been only 18 at the time, so I was a little too young to be paying much attention." Felosial says, furrowing her brow. "You know who might know? Garon, the barkeep at the Ol' Boar." She says with a slight uptick in her voice, and then she turns to Ilden.

"How are things in the Knoll these days? Not too many folks going that way anymore. A priest is always welcome inside this town, I don't know much about this Fharlanghn, but we stay right by Pelor and the Saint 'round Oakhurst, Garon tends to give a good price to those serving a god whole heartedly," She says, taking her hat off with one hand, and fanning a little air over her face. She wipes a hand across her forehead, and replaces the hat, seeming quite friendly to the party as a whole, and at ease in the hot sun.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 02:57 PM
Darian
"Thank you for the tip. I think that heading to the Ol' Boar is a good idea, in the interest of gathering information, I think that that is a good destination."
Seeing as the other question is directed towards Ilden, Darian ignores it.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 03:24 PM
Shebb

Simon slows his pace as they approach the town. As the party talks with Felosial, he sits, panting, his massive head swiveling from side to side so as to look at each speaker in turn.

When Felosial mentions the Ol' Boar, Shebb leaps to the ground and slinks calmly into town. Proceeding a few dozen feet in, he surveys the scene, taking stock of the number of people on the street, and examining any storefronts looking for a sign of Garon's tavern.

Although he stares eagerly after the cat, Simon remains sitting with the party until the others move in. When that happens, he follows close by Ilden's side. It seems like the dog has taken a liking to the young priest...

Rolls, if necessary:
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 03:31 PM
Ilden

"The village is quiet, as always. Thank you for help in pointing us the right way. Ilden leads Hawser into town, looking for the Ol' Boar. The dog following at his heels prompts the thought Where did that cat go? He turns to the dog. "So, I know somethings up with you and the cat. What is it? What are you?

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 03:31 PM
An hour after noon

Shebb
You slink away from the group, and easily find a building in Oakhurst with a sign painted with a symbol of a large, grizzled looking old boar. Inside the inn, a old, pudgy human is rearranging bottles of liquor behind the bar, while a single human man sits at one of the handful of tables, slowly eating a bowl of some sort of stew.

The inside of the Ol' Boar is cool, the heavy construction keeps out the heat of the day.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 03:32 PM
Darian
Darian follows the rest, looking for the Ol' Boar.

PersonMan
2012-08-28, 03:34 PM
Lythe moves to follow Ilden.

"I'd like to get out of the sun," she says. Oddly enough, despite being clothed primarily in black, she doesn't seem to have problems with the heat itself.

I hate this time of year...the sun is up far too long. She mentioned Pelor a few times there...I guess it wouldn't be very helpful for us if I make it too obvious that the sun makes the madness worse. Did you see the way she looked at us? It's obvious she's going to try and manipulate us! A small town like this probably has all sorts of things you can't get at yourself, but need outsiders for. Careful.

As the group reaches the 'Ol Boar, Lythe smiles slightly. Finally relief.

We can't ignore reality forever. You know it. The mantra. We need it to survive this world. To triumph! Leave all of this behind, they travel in the sun, they must be plotting against you.

Stepping into the building, Lythe takes a moment for her eyes to adjust to the light. They do so quickly, but the persisting thoughts keep her from concentrating.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 03:44 PM
An hour after noon

You easily find a building in Oakhurst with a sign painted with a symbol of a large, grizzled looking old boar. Inside the inn, a old, pudgy human is rearranging bottles of liquor behind the bar, while a single human man sits at one of the handful of tables, slowly eating a bowl of some sort of stew.

The inside of the Ol' Boar is cool, the heavy construction keeps out the heat of the day. The cat that's been following you is also in the middle of the floor of the common area.

"Hail and welcome to the Ol' Boar!" says the man behind the bar, his voice booming out a jolly welcome.

PersonMan
2012-08-28, 03:50 PM
Lythe

The cool inside the building loosens the ever-present tension for a moment, and Lythe smiles and nods in response to the man's greeting.

"Greetings! After a day of walking, it's nice to get out of the heat," she says, her voice still rough.

I don't know if he's perceptive enough to realize...Then again, I can't just say 'by the way, I'm a girl, my voice is just hoarse'. Sometimes I wonder why I even try to talk to people. Maybe madness is what this is, after all...

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 03:51 PM
Darian
"Hail. You would be Garon, right? Felosial referred me to you about an elven caravan that probably passed through here about 20 years ago. Do you remember anything about it? Or do you know anything about some ruins nearby?"

Anything interesting about the architecture of this place? (Never managed to use the skill before :) )[roll0]

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 03:51 PM
Ilden

Ilden stares down the dog, hoping for a reply, but it just pants and stares back.After a while, he gives up. Alright, lets find this bar and get out of this heat. When he spots the sign, he ties Hawser up to a post. Hawser, stay, guard.

Handle Animal: [roll0]

Ilden enters the bar with the others. Hello there! He notices Shebb. There's the cat. How did it know to come here?

packersfan
2012-08-28, 04:19 PM
James was always the most energenic on at those meeting the month before. Always making suggestions on where to go and telling stories of his dad's adventure. Man was he excited for it. Even though he just turned 17 the day before, James felt like he could take on the world. He spent the night before the start in the tavern, buying drinks, dancing, and telling anyone who will listen about the grand adventures he going to have. James doesn't remeber much after that and found himself waking up in a hay pill right outside the tavern. He raced back home, grabed his gear and mmet the rest of the group.

The walk out of town was mostly pain. James spent the whole time not really paying attention to anything except to his horrible headace from the night before. He feel asleep not to long after he finished eating and woke up the next morning refreshed and ready to go. He did take note that the dog and cat are acting alittle strange. He remains quite most of the day until Know when he asks Felosial Excuse me miss, but you won't happen to know if there is any jobs that would intrest us that are need to be done.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 04:39 PM
An hour after noon

James Most of the party heads off towards the Ol Boar, but you stay and speak with Felosial "Well, depends what exactly you're good at. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have known what people like you and your friends were after. After seeing Sir Bradford come through, my guess is you're adventurers." She says with a broad smile, looking away ever so slightly, "How'd do I do, adventurer huh? Well, Sir Bradford and those friends of his set out for the Sunless Citadel. Bad piece of work that place, but they insisted. They never came back, and while I'd hate for someone like you to not come back, it might be right up your ally."

Ol' Boar "Walk far in this heat today? Oh no, couldn't catch me hiking near midsummer! Haha!" What might have seemed a forced laugh from anyone else is a vibrant, happy affair from Garon. "You must be travelers, care for a drink? Now, an elf caravan twenty years past? You're not going easy on an old man's noggin. Can I think about it while I get you a drink? The ale's my own brew, and it's my pride and joy!" Garon's smile and broad manner is infectious, it's hard to keep from smiling when he meets your eyes.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 04:42 PM
"Well now, That sounds like a plan. It has been a bit of a trip. My thanks for the offer."

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 04:51 PM
Shebb

If Simon understands anything of Ilden's question, nothing shows it on the happy, lumbering dog's face. He trudges along to the entrance of the Ol' Boar, pausing at the doorway.

Hearing Simon's panting, Shebb turns his head. Although none of the others hear it, Shebb calls for Simon to come.

Take ten if possible, for a check of 15. If needed, here's a roll:

Handle Animal: [roll0]

Hopefully, Simon comes trotting up to Shebb's side. He sits calmly. If not, he sits inquisitively at the door, cocking his head to the right and wagging his tail.

Shebb jumps up onto the bar, laying down and purring softly.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 04:55 PM
An Hour and a Half After Noon

Ol' Boar
"Now that's a smart Elf! Let me get three mugs of Boar's Brew!" Garon disappears into the back, and returns with 4 simple glass mugs. He fills them from a barrel beneath the bar. When they are full and foaming, he places one in front of each of you, and takes a fourth for himself "How could I pass up the best ale in town? Now, you're looking for an old elven caravan? I recall a caravan of kiritury or something elves coming down from way up north around that time. I remember they also had a family that looked different from the rest, called 'em gray elves I think. They didn't stay long, and headed out on the new road if I remember my old history. That answer your question?"

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 05:05 PM
Shebb

As Garon sets down the tankards, Shebb rises quickly back to his feet. He walks up and paws at one of the mugs, then turns to stare at Garon. He meows expectantly and paws at the mug again.

Simon, in turn, dashes nimbly to the bar. He sits, staring up at Garon, and whines softly.

{OOC: whenever I do something like this with Simon, can we take it for granted that I'm taking 10 and having him 'Come' or 'Stay'?}

packersfan
2012-08-28, 05:44 PM
James

Oh, sorry miss were are my manners? How do you do? Maybe you can stop by later at the ol'Bear and we can talk about this Sunless Citadel and this Sir Bradford and his friends. What do you say?

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 05:49 PM

James "Maybe, if I get some spare time. I'm very busy you know," Felosial says, grinning widely. "Garon knows the story as well as I do..."

packersfan
2012-08-28, 06:01 PM
[B]James

Alright I'll see what he knows, and maybe I will see you later. Make sure you don't work to hard too. If you don't stop and look around abit, you might just miss the good things. James gives her a smile and bows. Have a good today Miss Felosial.

And with that James heads towards to Ol' Bear t meet up with the rest of the group.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 06:35 PM

Shortly after the ale is poured, James comes walking through the door. "Another traveler? Let me get you a glass, pull up a stool!" You can feel Garon's welcoming spirit pour out across the room. He grabs a pint glass from the shelf behind him, and pours it three quarters full of his ale. "And there you are! So, indulge an old gossip, if you'd be so kind, and tell me what brings four outsiders with not a trade good between them out of the south to Oakhurst?" Garon says. His approach is so disarming that you're half-way to answering before wondering if you actually wanted to tell him everything!

packersfan
2012-08-28, 06:49 PM
James sits down and picks up the mug Now this is my kind of place. then procedes to take a long sip, then sets the mug down. Now this is very good ale. Do you brew it yourself? But anyway you ask about our buisness in Oakhurst and its simple, we are looking for adventure.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 06:54 PM
Darian
"Thank you for the information. Hopefully, we will continue to head north, after we explore the ruins nearby. Good Ale."

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 06:56 PM
Ilden

Ilden sips on the beer, and finds it delicious. "Well, we're adventurers, and, ummm, looking to adventure." All the while, he is staring intently at the cat. He continues sipping on the beer. I haven't seen anybody else acknowledge the cat. Am I the only one that can see it? He pulls a loose thread off his robe and waves it infront of the cat. "Here kitty-kitty. Play with the string."

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 07:14 PM
Shebb

The barkeep seeming not to notice his cues, Shebb turns away, dejected.

For a moment, Ilden's plaything catches his eye, and Shebb ducks into a quick, predatory crouch. He bats at the string once, catching it between the pads of his left paw. Losing interest quickly, he let's it go, turns, and leaps down back onto Simon's back.

Once again he tucks his head into one of the pouches on the old hound's saddle. A moment later he emerges again, this time holding two small, stacked, clay bowls between his teeth. He bounds down to the ground, bends, and carefully sets down one of the two bowls.

He leaps back onto the bar, and sets down the second bowl. He moves towards Ilden, affectionately rubbing up against the young priest's arm. Circling around, he crouches, and reaches out with his right paw to push the bowl a few inches towards Ilden. He looks up to the silver-haired youth, holding his gaze, and blinks slowly.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 07:21 PM
Ilden

Ilden stares at the cat for a few moments, then picks up his beer and pours some into each bowl. "Ok, cat. Regardless of whether or not you're real, I'm sure you can understand me. So, you're going to tell me what's going on.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 07:29 PM
Two Hours After Noon

Is he, uh, talking to that cat? And before that...did that cat want ale? he says, with an aura of absolute confusion. He shakes his head and turns back to James. "I'm glad you like the ale, I brew it myself don't you know. I call it 'Boar's Brew'." Garon beams with pride.

"Did I hear them right Garon, are they more adventurers? Never saw any in my life, and now two sets in a month. Are they here to delve the old Sunless Citadel too?" says the man at the table.

"I was just about to suggest they go there, if they're feeling like brave souls. But then again, I've all but given up on Sir Bradford. What a loss, he paid with good coin, gold too!" says Garon to the other man in the cordial tone of men long acquainted to each other.

packersfan
2012-08-28, 08:16 PM
James

Raising his glass Well you've made the best ale I have ever had. James then returns to his glass, but then looks up when the conversation heads towards Sir Bradford and the Sunless Citadel Actually Sir, Miss Felosial told me that you could supply use with information on the Sunless Citadel and Sir Bradford.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 08:33 PM
Two Hours After Noon

"Miss Felosial? Ahh lad, you'd tickle her pink calling her miss like that!" Garon smiles knowingly, and gives James a more intense once-over with his eyes, as if trying to guess James's motivation, "I'm afraid the story of Sir Bradford is short and, probably, sad. He came from the north, a far away town he said was called Brindel, up aways in the Elsir vale..."

"Oh Valefolk be strange folk!" Says the man at the table, "Still believe in lords and ladies and all that old story stuff!"

"Aye. Sir Bradford claimed his family was a lordly one up in Brindel. He was a real religious sort, talking about how he was on a crusade to bring the light of Pelor to the darkest reaches of the world and all that. He probably would have made his way down your way, to the Knoll, but he couldn't resist the old 'Citadel." Garon steps out from behind the bar as he speaks. He throws his cloth rag over his shoulder, and settles down in a padded chair at one of the tables in the common room. He turns the chair out and face you all, and continues his story, with the practiced ease and familiarity of master storyteller.

"Now you see, back a long time ago, some five hundred years if you believe my grandfather, there was a big castle out to the west of here, on what we now call the old road. There are all kinds of old tales about who's fortress it was, some people say it was a tyrant king, others a dragon cult, and some people say a demon straight from the Nine Hells." He looks you each in the eye as he speaks, gauging your reaction, and trying to hold your interest. "But, thank the Sun and Saint, two centuries ago, something happened, again the stories argue whether it was an angel or a dragon or something wierder, and it caused the whole castle to sink deep into the earth... Garon trails off, playing up the impact of this part of the story.

"Now, this big event also turned a bunch of land into a plain of dead ash. These days it's supposedly only got some lowly goblins living in it's depths, and they're harmless. Each year they bring out a strange, magical fruit that can heal any illness, pretty soon in fact. They always show up soon after midsummer, as a matter of fact. Now, despite their only being goblins down there, ranchers who used to keep their animals close to the Ashen Plain always tell tales of strange beasts killing cattle round about this time... He slowly trails off...he shakes his head and stands up. "Well, that's all I know about that. It's gotta be dangerous though, in my whole life only two groups ever went down there, and I've never seen any of them again... Garon takes obvious pleasure at sharing his town's spooky story. He heads back behind the bar, letting the story hang in the air.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 08:36 PM
Shebb

As Ilden pours, Shebb circles nimbly around the now-full bowl. Purring, he settles and sits in front of the bowl, lapping gently at the ale.

On the floor below, Simon laps up the second bowl's contents in four great slurps. He lets out a great, happy bark, and sits panting.

Shebb is silent in the face of Ilden's interrogation, but does take a moment to pause and look directly in the priest's eyes before continuing to lap up his ale.

His bowl yet only half finished, Shebb is distracted by the talk of the Citadel, and of the missing adventurers. Pushing up off of his front paws, Shebb sits back, his bright eyes gleaming as he looks from speaker to speaker.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 08:55 PM
Ilden

Ilden's left eye twitches a bit. He gives up questioning the cat. He turns to Garon. That sounds precisely like something we'd be interested in. Strange ruins, likely danger, and an air of mystery. Do you suppose any of those ranchers you mentioned could tell us more about what we'r facing? He leans back into his chair. It seems those following Pelor are always getting up to some holy quest nonsense. They burn brightly and briefly, the noble fools.

Has the extra information provided by our friendly barkeep been beneficial enough to merit another roll on my knowledges?

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 08:57 PM
"They might, they might at that. But I wouldn't count on it too much. If they had any real news, I'd have heard it by now..." Garon replies.

You may make a Knowledge History check about the Sunless Citadel.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 09:03 PM
Darian
The ruins sound interesting. At a minimum, I will probably be able to learn more about magic. It is also possible that the demons that attacked the caravan came from there, so there may be information there as well. All in all, it sounds like a good plan to pay this citadel a visit. Of course, it could be dangerous, but with luck, we will survive where the others have not.

Leaning back in his seat, Darian eyes the odd cat, considering casting detect magic on it. However, a further thought occurs to him, and he turns to the barkeep

"How long would it take to get to these ruins?"

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 09:07 PM
"It shouldn't take fit men and lady, like you all very long at all. It's only about seven miles along the old road. Just, if you go out there...I like you, be careful..." Garon trails off, the thought of you all actually going out there seems to have broken his confidence a bit.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 09:10 PM
Darian
"Well, it sounds like we can make it in a couple of hours. Should we leave now, or wait until morning?"

If we leave now, we might as well get it over. If we leave tomorrow, I will have a chance to examine that cat.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-28, 09:16 PM
Ilden

"Lets start in the morning. Always best to have some daylight to work with. how much for a room and a stall for my mule, Garon? Ehh, we don't have much gold, but I can heal any minor hurts you might have, or maybe clean up some of your food for you.

Roguenewb
2012-08-28, 09:20 PM
"Ah, for listening to an old man talk, and giving me an afternoon's diversion, you can stay here on me. It's not like I'm full up anyway, and the stable's downright empty." Garon says like a father to his visiting children.

Archmage1
2012-08-28, 09:23 PM
Darian
"We would be going underground, and we would have at least 2 hours of light there after we arrive. Besides, there is plenty of light provided by stars. It would also have the added benefit of being cheaper."

packersfan
2012-08-28, 09:28 PM
I vote staying the night and heading out in the morning. We wouldn't be in any rush and we now have to to buy anything we forgot back at home and restock our food supplies.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-28, 09:48 PM
Shebb

At the talk of staying the night, Shebb crouches to finish his bowl of ale. When he is finished, he gently takes the bowl in his teeth and stands. He springs to the floor, shaking his mane as he lands. The cat picks up the dog's second bowl, leaps onto the mastiff's back, and puts both bowls back in the same saddle bag from which they had come.

Reaching his head into a second bag, Shebb fetches out a small leather purse. With the same intelligent grace with which he had tightened Simon's barding, Shebb undoes the tie on the purse, sticks his face into the bag, and comes out with two silver pieces in his teeth.

He leaps onto the bar, deposits the coins in front of their host, and turns to leap back onto Simon's back.

PersonMan
2012-08-29, 12:58 AM
Lythe

Lythe stays quiet during the conversation, still feeling a bit embarrassed about her earlier greeting. The shadows around her aren't as thick as they sometimes get, although the curtain of darkness around her is still present, as it always is. She doesn't drink at all, trying to subtly communicate this to the old man as he begins to pour ale for her. The last time she had drunk ale...well, that was best forgotten. They had a well here, that would have to do. Water was alright, even if it gave her headaches to swallow it.

As the barkeep mentions 'and lady' Lythe's mood improves a bit. It was always awkward when it came to correcting people about that. She had gotten used to it by now, but it wasn't exactly enjoyable to be mistaken for a young boy. This man seemed to have a good idea of people.

Doesn't that make him mad? Really, I wouldn't be surprised if he's as insane as these crusading fellows, spending all this time talking with other people. It's infectious. Madness madness. Madness. This talk about the Sunless Citadel is interesting. It sounds strange. Curing fruit, strange beasts.

Somehow, Lythe manages to completely miss Shebb's strange actions. As the question of staying the night arises, she goes again into her thoughts, the shadows around her growing a bit thicker.

Hmmm. It might be good to go now. Then again, with this damn sunlight...if we leave in the morning it won't be as bad. Of course, staying in this place of madness any longer than necessary might be a bad idea. Who knows what insanity these kind of people bring with them?

Lythe glances over to Ilden, considering him for a moment.

He seems completely calm. I'll have to ask him how he deals with all of this some time. Even if it's madness.

packersfan
2012-08-29, 06:15 AM
Turing back around facing the bar Beside my interactions with Miss Felosial is strictly profess... Jmaes voice trails off at the sight of the cat and then on a lone tone. Did that cat just pay for the mead?

PersonMan
2012-08-29, 07:51 AM
Lythe

Lythe looks over at Sebb once James comments on his actions. Having completely missed the actual happening, all she sees is him with two coins on the table before him.

"Yes, I guess he just did," she says.

A cat? Really? No, he's probably some sort of shapeshifter come to spy on us. Perhaps he works for whatever lives in that strange sunken fortress...Yes! They sunk their own fortress, now they use this fruit and a false tale of its history to draw in people to prey upon! Strange. Perhaps this old man taught his cat some things over time...Or maybe it's been changed by some sort of magic. Stranger things have been given sentience by spells gone awry.

"I guess we should just be happy that the cat is paying. You know what they say about gifts and these sorts of things," Lythe continues after a moment, clearly attempting to cast the entire thing in a humorous light.

That was terrible. I need to stop doing these things before I drive someone else mad.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-29, 08:33 AM
Ilden

Truly relieved that everyone else can see the cat, and its strange behavior, Ilden speaks again. I have no problem with the darkness, but many of the fouler things in this world have trouble with the light, goblins among them. A daytime approach will perhaps allow us to explore unnoticed, at least on the surface. With that, Ilden steps out to see to Hawser and unpack the bags.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 10:15 AM
Darian
"Very well, it would seem that we are waiting until morning before heading out to the ruins. Garon, would this village have a library in it?"

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 11:16 AM
thee hours after noon

"A...library? Can't say that there is. The mayor has a couple shelves of books, and the merchant has some beautiful primers of the Sun and Saint for sale...will that help?" Garon asks.

"Either way, I start serving dinner around dusk, and that's when everyone shows up. I can let you stay out of the goodness of my heart, but I'd have to ask something for dinner." Garon continues in amiable tones.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 11:21 AM
Darian
"Well, I suppose I will ask the mayor if I might have a look at his books until dusk then. Where might I find him? And what are the chances of him agreeing to let me read the books? Thank you for your kind offer of lodging."

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 11:52 AM
An hour after noon

"Why, the mayor's place is just two places down, it's the nice house, with the big red door." Garon answers.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 12:17 PM
Darian
"Thank you for the directions."

With some luck, there may be something interesting/useful in one of the mayors books, otherwise, at least I will have something interesting to read.

Darian heads to the mayor's house, and knocks on the door.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 01:42 PM
Shebb

Shebb and Simon linger quietly around the Ol' Boar until the party decides to leave. If Garon shows them to their quarters now, the two will follow the party up, but will leave again shortly after. After they are shown to their room (or right after the tavern scene if Garon does not show them up right now), the two set back out onto Oakhurst's main street. They spend much of the afternoon taking in the sights and smells.

They actively listen for any talk of the disappeared adventurers or the citadel. As they go, Shebb sniffs around the town for signs of any distinctly non-human odors. If they discover anything of the sort, the two will investigate, but will most likely not stray far from the city walls.

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 01:48 PM
Three hours after noon

Darian A small halfling woman opens the red door into the house you believe is the mayor's. "Hello? Who are you? Whaddya want?" the woman snaps at you,

Shebb Wandering through town, you see the full map of Oakhurst (see above), and see a number of people going about their business. Some are crafting, some are trading, some are simply wasting time. You smell mainly humans. There is also a hint of elf and half-elf, a bit of halfling and gnome, and even a little bit of orc. You also notice one stranger smell, something like rotting compost and blood.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 01:50 PM
Darian
"I am something of a wandering scholar, looking for information in general. I heard that from Garon that you have most of the books in the village. Would you mind if I look through your books, to see if there is anything interesting in them?"

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 01:57 PM
Shebb

Catching the strange, mixed scent of blood and compost, Shebb hops to the ground, sniffing madly. The two attempt to follow the scent back to its source.

Survival to track the scent: [roll0]

Space Lawyer
2012-08-29, 01:58 PM
Ilden

After seeing to Hawser and moving the bags into the room, Ilden takes to the streets. He spends the afternoon talking to the locals, writing down their stories and taking sketches of them. He asks about the Sunless Citadel to everyone he he meets, and tries to get on good terms with anyone who seems knowledgeable or is just friendly.

Gather Information (untrained): [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

packersfan
2012-08-29, 02:10 PM
James places his stuff in his roomand changes into his normal clothes. he leaves his weapons and gear in the room, save for his dagger ( which he takes the time to make sure it is well hidden in his boot) and his coin pouch.
He the wonders the streets around town just to waste time until dusk.

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 02:21 PM
Five hours after noon

Darian "Those books is the mayors, get out of here outsider. Shoo, shoo!" The halfling woman says, pushing her hand at you.

Ilden You wander through the small town of Oakhurst. It's strange. It's so similar to home, and yet...different. The smells from the foodsellers are of fruit instead of baked goods, the road runs north/south instead of east/west, the well in the middle of town has three buckets instead of one..and so on. Its a delightful break from the life you've always lived. As you ask questions around town, you eventually find a middle aged, skinny human woman with a pockmarked face "The citadel? Aaahhh, what a strange ruin that is. I hiked to the edge of the cliff once, to see it. Very impressive. I'm proud to be the only woman to have seen the place in years. Only two groups ever went in, Belak so many years ago, and then those Sir Bradford-adventurers. None came back unfortunately. She begins speaking eagerly, but eventually fades towards a little bit of sadness.

Shebb It takes hours, but by dusk you've followed the strange blood and compost smell to two places. In one direction it flows down the old road out of town. Towards the Sunless Citadel. In the other direction, it centers around a cluster of broken tree sapling stumps outside the edge of town you passed through on your way into the city.

James You easily find people willing to chew the fat with you. They talk with you about all sorts of things, from weather, to your hometown, to how great (or dull) they think Oakhurst is. By dusk, you feel like you've met and spoke with half the town.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 02:29 PM
Darian
"My apologies, my lady, I did not mean to scare you."

Darian heads back to the tavern to wait for the others after his failure.

PersonMan
2012-08-29, 02:36 PM
Lythe

Lythe, unlike James, feels no need to use her time walking around the town. Instead, she stays inside and drills, working and resting her muscles. Eventually her efforts turn to the more complex techniques of her style (dubbed 'Madness Made Reality' by her). She works through most of them, focusing on Madness Is Clarity and Vision-Melting Strike. The pain coursing through her core as her muscles work is almost stronger than the unease at sharpening her insanity into a weapon.

She had yet to use any of her techniques on an actual person...how would they hold up? Lythe knew it was dangerous to use her madness like this, but it was the only way.

Greatness or Death. Those are my options. I choose Greatness. I can't let my fear hold me back. Madness.

After she works through each technique twice and the pain in her muscles fades to a pleasant burn, Lythe discards her armor, placing it not-so-neatly on her bed before going out. She goes shortly outside of the town, collecting enough leaves and stems for the night and the next morning.

Once back in the room, Lythe sits down and concentrates on her mind, focusing entirely on internal aspects of her style. With this came the inevitable attempt to draw borders between her sane mind and the madness. As it so often did, this caused Lythe to shudder at how difficult it was.

I wonder if Ilden has problems like these. He must, he's like me, not like my sister. I'll ask him tomorrow at breakfast about it. For now it would be too difficult to find him. Besides, I have to finish my meditations first. I doubt his method will be easy...More work. Ugh.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 02:39 PM
Shebb

Interesting...

Shebb and Simon both sniff around these strange sapling stumps, trying to determine whether it is the saplings themselves that smell, or the soil around them.

Shebb searches his memory of years spent in the wilds, trying to match this smell (and these saplings) with anything he has seen before.

Either way, contented at finding the source of his interest, Shebb hops back on Simon and the two trudge quickly back to town. They wait for the others at the Ol' Boar, and prepare for the day of adventure ahead of them.

Rolls:
Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

packersfan
2012-08-29, 03:30 PM
James

James casualy walks back to the tavern and takes a seat next to Darien. So, how many rations to you think we should take with us to the citadel?

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 03:58 PM
Darian
Well, there is the chance that we could be delayed, but I would say that this should not take more than a day or two. Of course, more food could be helpful, but I have no money
"Well, I would hope that the mule would be willing to carry the rations, but I would say that we should not need more than 2 per person, but I have been wrong before. Unfortunately, I am remarkably poor at this time, and have 5 silver left. Enough to pay for the tavern meal, but not enough for additional rations as well."

packersfan
2012-08-29, 04:41 PM
James

Well I was thinking four, It would cover both our travel days, plus two solid days of adventuring. If your low on money maybe I could spot you for the cost. then looking at Garon Hey Goran, what you say about me opening a tab for tonight?

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 04:51 PM
{OOC: Just killing time until everyone is ready to go. I'm all for letting the night pass and setting out right away. Let's get adventuring!}

As he returns to the Ol' Boar, Shebb stops for a moment to watch Lythe working through her training routine. After perhaps 20 seconds of this, he goes inside the tavern. Five minutes later, he comes back outside, sits, and continues staring at the strange young woman working with her deadly axe. Several minutes pass this way.

Caught up in her training and her inner dialogue as she is, she might not even notice it: but a new voice whispers quietly in her mind.

"What are you, child?"

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 04:54 PM
Darian
"James, it is only two hours out to the ruins. If we leave early, we should have plenty of time to explore it in a day. I think that 4 days worth of food each may be a bit... excessive. If we are in there for four days, that probably means that we are in a lot of trouble. Of course, you may have a point there. If we are in trouble, running out of food would make it worse. Perhaps we should see what the others thing"

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 04:58 PM
Week and Six Days Before Midsummer
An Hour After Dusk

Ol' Boar You spend your afternoons in various ways interacting with the small village of Oakhurst. By dusk, you have returned to the Ol' Boar, and it's almost a different place than it was this afternoon. More than two dozen people fill the chairs at the various tables in the Ol' Boar. A man sits on a stool at one end of the tavern, softly strumming a lute. Two barmaids in matching 'uniforms' criss-cross the room endlessly bringing drinks and food back and forth across the busy tavern, one is human, while the other is a half-elf, who could be Felosial's twin. Three chairs are still empty at the bar, and thus all of you end up before the bar, where old Garon is pouring drinks and taking orders constantly.

James asks to open a tab, and before Garon can answer, you feel a familiar voice from behind you, "First night in town, and already looking for a tab? My, my, James was it? Quite presumptuous." Says Constable Felosial in a tone of friendly ribbing. "Give the first round on me, Boar's Brew if you don't mind Garon," she continues, putting a handful of silver pieces on the bar.

packersfan
2012-08-29, 05:00 PM
James

Ya it might take two hour to get there, but it might take hours to get in, we have to set you a base camp, and we dont't know how big this thing is it could take a week to explore the whole ruin. Just want to be prepared.

packersfan
2012-08-29, 05:13 PM
James

Grining and turning aroundWell, you never know who might walk in that you will just have to buy a drink for. How about I buy round 2 and whatever they're serving and you can tell what you know about the Citadel. It's also good to see you manged to found some time to stop by.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 05:16 PM
Shebb

Simon sits by the others in the tavern, panting as always. His eyes follow Shebb, who has been moving lithely around the bar – batting at loose pieces of fabric here, perhaps chasing after a mouse there.

As Felosial enters, Simon stands, tail wagging, and barks once. In response to the bark, Shebb's ears perk up, and his eyes go to the newcomer. He runs to Simon, retrieves the two bowls, leaps back up and sets them down on the bar.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 05:20 PM
Darian
At Felosial's offer, Darian simply lifts his mug in appreciation

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 05:24 PM
"It's a quiet night out there. Not that it's usually anything else," Felosial says with a smile. "Still looking for more information on the citadel? Didn't Garon talk your ear off? No one who ever went in came out, so what can I tell you that Garon, with all his stories can't?"

The half-elven barmaid comes walking over. "Are these those adventurers you were telling me about? My my, what a surprise that you came in tonight," She says. "Has my sister been giving you a hard time in town?"

packersfan
2012-08-29, 06:26 PM
James

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else to know,but I guess not. then looking at her sister grinning. No, she has been a great help. James spends the rest of the night conversing with Felosial and the other locals in the tavern. He orders drinks for the whole party and a meal for him and Felosial. At the end of the night he sees here out of the bar and then goes to his room, prepares for the next day and then goes to bed.

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 06:55 PM
Week and Five Days Before Midsummer
Dawn

The night is festive at the Ol' Boar. Garon introduces you to almost everyone who comes in through the door. James and Felosial spend the night talking and hanging out at the bar. By midnight, the bar is basically empty. For Oakhursters, this is just a normal night, and they need to be up early and do the heavy work of the rural township. Adventurer's may be able to stay up later, but eventually, exhaustion will send you to bed.

The morning is as bright and clear as the day before. Dawn breaks over a distant set of low mountains, and the air is hot, and the dust is rising not long after. It's going to be a savagely hot day today, there's no doubt about that.

But today is also something special, the first day of *real* adventuring. Today you head into the heart of why you left Ander's Knoll, not just walking, today you truly become adventurers!

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 07:05 PM
Shebb

Shebb and Simon spend the night in one of the other adventurer's rooms – likely Ildan's, though James's will do if the priest went off to bed early. Simon sleeps at the foot of the bed, Simon on the floor. Any attempts to dismiss them are met with a short hiss and then disinterest. If the party member tries to pick Shebb up to get him out of the room, he will hiss again, but will not resist physically. In this case, Simon will follow them out of the room, and the two will sleep in the tavern proper, curled up together.

Both are gone when the adventurers wake, but the others will find them prepped and ready, sitting outside the door of the Ol' Boar. When the others come, Simon rises to face them, tail wagging. Shebb rises more slowly, and takes a moment to dip into a deep stretch before leaping into Simon's fitted saddle. The dog is, once again, wearing his barding.

Although the others would never know it, Shebb has not been so excited for quite some time. Certainly since the death of Old Man Tralen, some months ago. The prospect of once again setting off on a great adventure is a tantalizing thing. When they set off, Simon follows next to whoever is sitting at the front of the marching order.

{Simon is on alert (known trick), and will make noise to alert the party if he perceives anything out of the ordinary.}

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 07:11 PM
Darian
After a night spent with drinking, and some studying later, Darian has a bit of a headache in the morning, however, he bravely gets up, packs for the road again, and head's downstairs.
"Galon, it has been a pleasure. Hope to see you again."
That said, he heads outside, and waits for the others. When he leaves, he notices the saddle on the dog, with no-one but the cat to have put it there.
"You are not just a cat, are you?"

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 07:16 PM
Shebb

The strange cat meets Darian's eyes. Holding his gaze for a few moments, the cat meows once before curling into a ball on Simon's saddle.

packersfan
2012-08-29, 07:25 PM
James wakes up the next morning alot more excited than usual. He checks and repacks his pack atleast five times. He exits the tavern, but before he does he sakes Garon hand Garon, it has been a pleasure, hope to see you again. Now how much do I owe you? James pays and then leaves. when he comes out to and see darian and the animal pair he goes over scrathes Simon on the chin and Shebb behind the ear. The looking at Darian Looks like the other aren't up yet do you want to go to the market and get the food for use or wait for everyone else?

Space Lawyer
2012-08-29, 08:14 PM
Ilden

The previous night...
Ilden returns to the room, a bit exhausted from the day. He takes out his journal, to record the events of the day.

The Journal of Ilden the Silver
We arrived in Oakhurst today. It was rahter warm today. Even the law enforement of the town, a half-elf female by the name of Felosial, was taking shelter in the shade. She pointed us to the Ol" Boar bar, run by rather garrulous man called Garon. We're heading out to the place called the Sunless Citadel in the morning. The cat following us continues to act strange. He paid for his own drinks at the bar, and apparently enjoys ale as much as any of us. I swear I'll find what is going on with it and the dog. Lythe seem disquieted most of the day, but that might have just been the heat. I'll try to talk to her in the morning.

That morning
Ildan awakes to find the cat and its dog (he is rather sure this is how the relationship is working) in his room. He sigh, accepting that the strange behavior of the feline is likely to be a permanent feature of his life for the foreseeable future. After a bath, he he girds himself for the road. He takes the bags down to the stable, and saddles up Hawser. He walks out onto the road, and uses his dagger to inscribe the the holy symbol of Fharlanghn onto a post of the inn. Oh Fharlanghn, may all travelers know that they can find an honest and friendly man here, and may this inn offer refuge to those that would seek it, and allow all to walk the paths they choose. He gives his own silent thanks to Fharlanghn, asking his god to grant him the powers he would need for the day. He waits for the others to come out.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 08:17 PM
Darian
"It would make sense to gather what rations we can. I can afford one additional ration, and will purchase it. How about you?"

packersfan
2012-08-29, 08:37 PM
James

I have plenty of gold, so I should be able to buy 4 for me and three for you. What about you Ilden? Do you need to buy any rations?

packersfan
2012-08-29, 08:39 PM
James

I have plenty of gold, so I should be able to buy 4 for me and three for you. What about you Ilden? Do you need to buy any rations?

Space Lawyer
2012-08-29, 08:43 PM
Ilden

I have enough trail rations, but I suppose a bit of fresh food to take with us out of town would do well. Some hard cheese and preserved meat would keep for a while.

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 08:50 PM
An Hour After Dawn

The general trader is easily found. The store is run by a dull old man, who seems to have little interest in anything around him. He takes your order, goes in back, returns with some goods, wraps them quickly in a back, and hands them to you, all without saying a single extra syllable. Not the most interesting man you've ever met.

When you exit, Felosial is waiting for you. "So there's the big heroes, off on their way already. I thought I'd bring you a map..." she hands you a rolled tube of parchment, she looks furtive for a moment, "And...oh, hell...good luck!" She quickly leans forward and gives James a peck on the cheek and takes off at a half jog, holding a hand in front of her face.

http://s19.postimage.org/hf2xof9yb/overland_map.jpg

packersfan
2012-08-29, 09:00 PM
James

Alright I'll go grab the food rations. James goes to the market buys the rations and heads back to the inn.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 09:07 PM
Shebb

Knowing that he has ample stores of food already (what cat wouldn't when packing for the road?), Shebb is unconcerned with buying more. Besides, he could almost certainly find something to forage wherever they went.

Simon, however, does snap to attention when James says the word "food."

When the humans return with the food, Shebb rises and stares at them, impatient to hit the road.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-29, 09:16 PM
Ilden

Ilden climbs on top of Hawser. "Well, lets get going. I'd like to be there before nightfall. We can scout the area and figure out the best way to go in. This place has already taken two bands more experienced than us." Realizing this sounds a bit disheartening, he quickly adds "We're better though, of course. Plus, I'd say we have luck on our side." He urges Hawser to a walking pace, one the steadfast animal can keep up for the whole day without tiring.

packersfan
2012-08-29, 09:22 PM
taking the map James barely has the time to say "thank you when he recieves his parting gift and Felosial runs off. James stares after her with a blank expression and his face. the turning to the group, face reding. Well what are we wait for lets go! and starts walking down the old road.

Roguenewb
2012-08-29, 09:23 PM
Three Hours After Dawn

The Old Road, despite the amount of time since it was last in heavy use, is in surprisingly good maintenance. The cobblestones are few and far between, but the grass in the roadbed is relatively short, and it's still level and smooth. The road brings you within seeing distance of the Ashen Plain. At it's closest it's about 500 feet away, and you can see the desolation and dead gray ash that still lays across the plain. From there, the old road takes you through a land of low hills, the crests of many of which hold a small handful of trees.

Two hours after your party departed Oakhurst, you pass a small copse of trees, and round a hill.

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine.
At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several
broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine
widens and opens into something more akin to a
deep, but narrow, canyon. Two of the pillars stand
straight, but most of them lean against the sloped
earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently
fallen into the darkness-shrouded depths. A
few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of
the ravine.

packersfan
2012-08-29, 09:28 PM
James

Well I guess this is it. James walks to the edge and looks down.

Archmage1
2012-08-29, 09:29 PM
Darian
Looking around, Darian could not avoid a sense of foreboding at the grim surroundings.
This looks more worrysome than I thought it would. Still, it makes little difference. Looks like we will be heading in there. Hope the others have enough light.

"Looks like we are here. The citadel appears to be in that ravine. Climbing down should be... interesting. Anyone have rope?"

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 09:29 PM
Shebb

As they pass the Ashen Plain, Shebb's curiosity is aroused. He stares out at the seemingly burned field, and wonders what might have caused this – and how long ago.

Knowledge (Nature) to see if he can tell if a fire did this, and if so how long ago?

[roll0]

Arriving at the ravine, Shebb hops down from Simon's back, and approaches the canyon mouth. He tentatively sniffs at the edge before slowly peeking his head over to take a look into the earth.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-29, 09:36 PM
Shebb (cont.)

At the mention of rope, Shebb's head snaps back to look at the party – only for a moment – before fixing on Simon.

How had he not thought of this?

Shebb looks frantically from side to side on both canyon walls, hoping desperately to find some form of serviceable stairway down.

If he sees nothing of the sort:

The cat slowly walks up to the dog, and stands before him. Simon's (comparatively) massive head droops down to meet the cat's gaze, and Shebb rubs the dog's face with the side of his own.

Though the others hear nothing, he sends a few words into the dog's mind. Don't worry, Simon, this will be okay.

Handle Animal to prep Simon for the idea of being lowered on roe down into the canyon.

[roll1]

Space Lawyer
2012-08-29, 09:40 PM
Ilden

Ilden climbs down off of Hawser. He unpacks the rope from one of the saddlebags. I have a length, but unlikely enough to get us down and across the ravine. He peers down into the depths.

PersonMan
2012-08-30, 01:55 AM
Lythe

The night before

Caught up in her training and her inner dialogue as she is, she might not even notice it: but a new voice whispers quietly in her mind.

"What are you, child?"

Lythe would normally not have immediately noticed a whisper in her mind, probably attributing it to her Far Realm blood, but in her concentrated introspection she instantly senses a new presence in her mind.

I am...Well, it's a strange question. I think that's part of what I'm journeying to find out. I want to know what I am, I want to be something myself, not just my sister's shadow or the strange on in rumors.

Lythe doesn't open her eyes. To her it doesn't matter who or what this voice is - at least, not yet.

That morning (Ilden)

Lythe follows Ilden out of the Ol' Boar, waiting as he does his ritual and taking a few moments to collect her thoughts before she approaches him.

"H-hey, um. You see, I've noticed how you..."

What am I saying? Argg, this is ridiculous. Maybe I shouldn't have done this after all.

"Um. Let me start again, that didn't work out right. You see...how do you deal with it? Your blood? You don't seem to have problems with it, but you're just as touched as I am. How...how do you keep yourself you, and not be swallowed up by it? Lythe asks, looking up at the man's eyes hopefully. The shadows around her wrists circle more quickly.

Ahh, I'm risking madness doing this, I hope it's worth it...

Lythe seems a bit happier than she did on the road yesterday, although her mood gets worse as the sun climbs in the sky. As they pass the Ashen Plain she almost stares at it, awe easily readable on her face. After a few minutes she shudders and looks away from it, frowning.

As the group reaches the ravine, she looks down it. Like the others, she doesn't have any rope with her, but the thought of walking back to Oakhurst, buying some and then coming back here...maybe at night, but doing it now would ensure that they'd get the midday sun.

packersfan
2012-08-30, 06:19 AM
James

Pulling out his rope, but still lookng down the ravine I got 50ft right here.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-30, 06:35 AM
Ilden

Lythe
Ilden smiles. "Ah, so you do have a bit of the planes in you. Well, my ancestor was some celestial or another, and those generally aren't troubled beings, as a rule. It does color my existence though, in much the same way as it does yours. I've aged quite a bit slower than those around me, and occasionally I have urges to fly, or feel like I should be exercising some great celestial power that I just don't have. Once, some children in the village mocked because of my hair. They called me Old Man Ilden, and then they mocked me about how I always look clean, saying I was a prissy little know-it-all. I tried to dye my hair, and rubbed some dirt on my cheeks. The dye faded out in less than a day, and the dirt refused to stay on. I know it doesn't seem nearly as bad as what you have struggled with, but we all feel that same yearning to be normal sometimes. Thats the good thing about our chosen line of work though. We don't have to be normal. In fact normal will get us killed. We have to be better than that.

Roguenewb
2012-08-30, 11:51 AM
Three Hours Before Midday

The Area at the top of the ravine http://s19.postimage.org/ayykc2qsj/ravine_top.jpg

As you look around you immediately note a sturdy knotted rope tied to one of the leaning pillars. The rope hangs down into the darkness below. Judging by its good condition, the rope couldn't have been tied there any longer than two or three weeks ago. You can also see older and weathered hand- and footholds carved into the cliff face. You also discover that the pillars are worn down, and marked with strange graffiti in dwarven ruins. There are also what appear to be the worn down remains of hundreds of campfires. The newest seems to be about a month old.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-30, 12:30 PM
Ilden
Well, no sense in wasting time. We might as well see what lays at the bottom. I say we leave our supplies here, and just make a short foray. We can use this area as a base camp. He takes out some parchment and a piece of charcoal, and makes rubbings of of the graffiti.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-30, 02:10 PM
Shebb

Turning to face the party members once more, Shebb sits and ***** his head. His eyes narrow slightly at Ilden's suggestion that they get moving.

The others will perceive a calm, slow voice in their minds – though from no perceptible source.

"You'll excuse me, but I fear you may not have noticed that neither Simon nor I are particularly adept at climbing. I don't suppose you were planning to leave us behind?"

packersfan
2012-08-30, 02:52 PM
James

looking around the group Does anyone else hear that?

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-30, 03:16 PM
Shebb

Shebb eyes the rogue. This time, the voice goes just to James. ""Of course they can hear me, child. Or do you think you're going mad?"

His gaze shifts from one party member to the other. When he 'speaks' again, they can all hear.

"You see, I'm not too excited about the prospect of staying up here. I suppose Simon and I could just go back to Oakhurst. There was a tabby there who smelled like she's coming on her time. Little fat, though. But I don't much like that idea. Nor should you, if you think it through. I think you'll find us rather useful, Simon and I."

Shebb stands again and trots slowly over to the edge of the chasm. He looks down, then glances back at the others.

"So the way I see it, there are two possibilities. If we wait 'til morning, I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something clever to get us down there. If we don't wait, though... his gaze snaps to his old friend, the hound. "You'll have to lower Simon by rope."

packersfan
2012-08-30, 03:55 PM
James

James spend a minute or two leaning againt the pillar in thought.Alright, I got it. Darian or Ilden need to go down first with a tourch to provide light. Since i have to take my bag because of my tools I'll go down second and take Shebb in my bag. Then we can send Simon down with the food and everyone else can come down after that. Does that sound good?

PersonMan
2012-08-30, 04:41 PM
Lythe

Lythe is a bit surprised as she hears the voice again. So it had been the cat that had spoken to her last night. As she listens to it and James, Lythe looks fairly wistfully down into the ravine. It was nice and dark in there, unlike the area around it.

"That sounds fine to me," she says once James finishes his explanation.

I wonder what's down there...It will be quite interesting to see. It can't be a coincidence that the cat has chosen now to speak. With his suggestion to stay under the sun...perhaps he really is the agent of something out to keep up from succeeding at our task.

Archmage1
2012-08-30, 04:44 PM
Darian
"Looks like that Lord Bradford made it here, and headed down. Odd that the goblins have not cut the rope, however. Ilden, the graffiti that you are diligently copying down is just goblin threats and warnings. It would seem that we will be dealing with goblins, or at least something that speaks goblin. Two questions exist: Will it be safe to leave Hawser here, and who will be first down the rope?"

And, of course the third question is can I make it down that rope. And the cat can talk. I wonder if the mule and dog can...

After informing the others of the goblins, Darin begins looking for something that he can use as a torch to drop down the ravine, so that whomever gets down first at least has light.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-30, 05:08 PM
Ilden
Ilden looks at Shebb.Thanks for dropping the act. He puts away the parchment. Hawser can stay here, or I can send him back to the inn. I can go down first, but I'll wait until I hit the bottom to light the torch. I can see without it, and I don't want to alert anything down there to our presence. Lythe, you come next, you're the best with a blade. Then James and Darian lower Simon down, and then they come afterwards.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-30, 05:17 PM
Shebb

Bemused at the seeming lack of surprise at his having 'spoken', Shebb sports something almost resembling a grin on his face.

This will be amusing...

"Excellent. I will try to calm Simon. I would certainly appreciate any efforts to help, there; I'm afraid the poor hound likely won't enjoy the idea of going down into the dark."

Taking 10 on Handle Animal, +5 = 15

As this isn't really a "trick," I'm not sure what DC we should be going for, but I would really appreciate some Aid Other attempts.

Archmage1
2012-08-30, 05:17 PM
Darian
"I wonder if Lythe can carry Shebb down? It would give us more power on the bottom, which could come in handy. I am unsure of how much help I will be in lowering Simon, but I am willing to try"

Archmage1
2012-08-30, 05:24 PM
Darian
Darian attempts to assist Shebb in calming down Simon for the rope trip down.[roll0]

packersfan
2012-08-30, 05:24 PM
James

walking over to Hawser Sounds like a plan to me I'll put the food onto Simon James takes out the food and plaes in the sacks simon is carring then setting down the bag. Shebb feel free to ride in here.

PersonMan
2012-08-30, 05:42 PM
Lythe

Lythe all but jumps at the suggestion that she be one of the first down. At the mention of carrying Simon, she considers the dog carefully.

"I...could carry him, if need be. It'd make things a bit difficult, but it could be doable."

Hmmm. If he's about a hundred or so, it could work. Then there's all that stuff he's carrying. It could get a bit tough on the way down. I hope it isn't very far, if I do end up hauling him down.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-30, 06:04 PM
Shebb

Shebb eyes the strange girl cautiously. She did seem to have a curious sort of strength msomehow greater than her frame might imply...

"Yes... Yes, that might be best. It doesn't look to be too far down before flattening out. Only 20... Perhaps 30 feet, from what I can tell."

Space Lawyer
2012-08-30, 07:04 PM
Ilden

If everyone's ready, I'll get going. With that, he grabs a torch and some flint and tender out of the saddlebags, and begins his climb down.

Taking 10 on the climb check.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-30, 07:19 PM
Shebb

On reflection, Shebb will be alright with Lythe carrying Simon down only if the two are also supported by ropes that two people at the top of the chasm are manning.

If everyone agrees to this, Shebb climbs in James's bag, and they proceed down in the order that had been suggested.

packersfan
2012-08-30, 07:39 PM
James

James gently puts on his bag and helps lower people down until its his tuwn and then he goes down.

Archmage1
2012-08-30, 08:25 PM
Darian
Darian also tries to help lower people down, before heading down on his turn.

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 12:46 PM
Three Hours Before Midday

You manage, using the rope as a counterbalance to scramble to the ground. At one moment, you come within a hair of falling, probably to your death, but you reach a ledge, 25 feet below the top of the ravine.

A sandy ledge overlooks a subterranean gulf of darkness to the west. The ledge is wide but rough. Sand, rocky debris, and the bones of small animals cover it. A roughly hewn stairwell zigs and zags down the side of the ledge, descending into darkness.

When Ilden takes a couple of steps to steady himself on the ground, there is a sudden screech, and a large rat charges out of the murk!

21 to hit, deals 3 damage, and give me a fort save, everyone roll initiative

Space Lawyer
2012-08-31, 01:29 PM
Ilden

Ahhrg, my leg!" Ilden holds his staff out in front, hoping to keep the rat at bay.

Taking the total defense action, AC will be 17 for the next round. Fort Save: [roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 02:31 PM
http://s19.postimage.org/5i769kzkz/battle_1_round_1.jpg

packersfan
2012-08-31, 02:37 PM
James
Full Round action

James moves towards the leadge and climbs down the rope.

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 02:41 PM
James scrambles down 20 feet, reaching the ground next to Ilden.

http://s19.postimage.org/gkc980tnn/battle_1_round_2.jpg

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-31, 03:44 PM
Shebb

The cat curses to himself, wishing that Simon had already made it down next to him.

Leaping out of James's bag, Shebb falls on to the ravenous rat. His own claws, small as they may be, look to draw blood.

Move action
Get out of bag

Standard action
Attaaack!

[roll0]
If that hits, it deals 1 damage :smallfrown:

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 03:45 PM
The dire rat hisses the cat claws into it.

http://s19.postimage.org/wmjds5iqr/battle_1_round_1pschebb.jpg

PersonMan
2012-08-31, 04:05 PM
Lythe

Lythe moves down the rope as fast as she can, letting Simon out of her arms just as her feet hit the ground. Reaching back, she grabs the Black Cleaver. Pulling it out with a single, swift motion, Lythe falls into a ready posture. Precisely how she managed to pull her weapon in such a manner doesn't seem apparent. If there wasn't a fight going on, it would be obvious that she had done so in a way that wasn't physically possible.

As she moves, the shadows around Lythe's wrists and ankles spread, until she is totally sheathed in a roiling black cloud. It twists until the shape resembles plate armor, bits of darkness drifting off from it to the side from time to time.

Actions:
Move Action

Moving down to the ledge.

Standard Action

Standard -> Move exchange. Drawing my weapon.

Free Action

Drop Simon.

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 04:12 PM
The original rat bites wildly at James, foam dripping from it's mouth

23 to hit James, 2 damage and a fort save

Even as the first rat's hissing and flailing starts, two more rats come springing out of the rubble, attacking Schebb and Simon.

20 to hit Schebb 4 damage and a fort save

10 to hit Simon 1 damage and a fort save

http://s19.postimage.org/abvis6lgj/battle_1_round_1rat.jpg

Archmage1
2012-08-31, 04:16 PM
Darian
As the last in the group on the rope, Darian has the furthest to go, and he is able to climb down the rope, and pull out his rapier on the way.
Make a move action to descend the rope, and standard action to draw the rapier.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-31, 04:35 PM
Ilden

Ilden continues trying to fend off the rat.

Total defense action. I'm assuming this brings us around to the next turn, unless I acted out of order.

packersfan
2012-08-31, 09:31 PM
James
Fullround action

James shift to his left away from rat one (as so that he does not recieve any attacks of oppertunity) and strikes at rat #3.

Rolls:

Attack; [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-31, 10:33 PM
Shebb

Shebb meowls in pain as the rat's bite tears the flesh in his side.

Shebb waits for Simon to attack.

If the dog attacks and kills the center rat, Shebb will attack the rat on the left, then carefully tuck himself behind James, hoping to avoid taking further blows.

If the dog attacks any other rat, or fails to kill the center rat, Shebb will attack the center rat, then tuck behind James in the same way.

edit: please add 2 to whatever rolls deserve a flanking bonus

Simon
Attack: [roll0]
If hit, free trip: [roll2]

Shebb
Full Round Attack
Claw: [roll3] Damage =1
Claw: [roll4] Damage =1
Bite: [roll5] Damage =1

5- foot step (avoiding AoOs) into James's starting square, ducking behind James.

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 11:26 PM
The third rat moves to bite Simon, however, as it approaches, Lythe snaps out, her arms stretching longer than seem possible, and slicing the beast in twain with her black cleaver.

James takes an easy step to his right, and drives his rapier directly through the throat of the dire rat, which gives a single moaning hiss and then drops dead.

Simon, defending the cat he travels with, grabs the central rat with his mouth, grabs a hold on the rats neck, and gives a rapid snap to the side, and you can all hear a sickening crack as the rat's neck snaps, killing it.

After a rushed twenty seconds of fighting and panic, it seems to be over. Three dead dire rats rest before you, and no more sounds fill the air but your own panting breathing.

Then you realize what just happened. You fought, and you won! No won could really fail to call you adventurers now!

You earn 60 experience points!

Archmage1
2012-08-31, 11:34 PM
Darian
Panting as he reached the bottom of the rope, Darian looks around, with his eyes wide, and sheaths his rapier.

Well, that was easy

"Those were some big rats, but they died quite easily. I wonder if they have anything useful nearby"

spot[roll0] listen[roll1] search [roll2]

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-01, 04:36 AM
Shebb

For several seconds after the melee ends, Shebb crouches low, still ready to pounce. Undistracted by further sounds of combat, Simon still tears into the rat he had killed. As Shebb approaches him, though, Simon calms visibly. The cat trots up, and the two lock eyes for a moment. Shebb ducks in, and rubs the side of his face against Simon's great muzzle.

Tucking to Simon's side, Shebb sits. Rearing up on his hind legs, he crosses his front paws and begins a strange series of melodic meowlings. As he does so, the wounds on his side begin to mend ever so slightly. After a few seconds of this, he settles back on to all fours and begins trotting around the platform, sniffing about and looking for signs of life other than the party or the rats.

For a time, Simon seems frantic. He sniffs around and eyes the cat furiously, some semblance of worry evident on his face, despite the beast's great, dumb demeanor. After it becomes clear that Shebb is unbothered, however, Simon calms. He turns, and it might seem for a moment that he was considering trotting back to Lythe; but the dog stops mid stride, and merely barks once.

Shebb casts Cure Minor Wounds twice on himself, healing two of the four damage he had taken in the fight.

If his Scent ability allows him to pick up on anything out of the ordinary, he will investigate. If not, he searches the ground for anything noteworthy.

Spot and Survival checks, if necessary, to find tracks or other signs of life here recently:

Survival:[roll]1d20+6

Space Lawyer
2012-09-01, 06:35 AM
Ilden

"I apologize for my rather lacking capabilities in hand-to-hand combat. I suppose I should have bought a crossbow before we left. Ilden murmurs a quick prayer and runs his hands over the bite on his leg. The wounds begins to close, leaving just a scab. Strangely, he also seems less sweaty and grimy. "Does anyone else require attention?"

Spontaneously converting and casting cure minor wounds twice. 2 out of 3 damage healed.

packersfan
2012-09-01, 07:05 AM
James

I could use alittle bit og healing Showing his leg were the rat bit him.

Space Lawyer
2012-09-01, 08:17 AM
Ilden

This should help a bit. as Ilden waves his hand over James' bite.

Healing 1 damage. Out of 0-level spells.

Roguenewb
2012-09-01, 11:57 AM
Your search of the ledge discovers footprints not made by your party. The footprints head down the stairs. Extraordinarily large rat prints are likewise abundant. The search also reveals an old ring of stones that contains (and is covered by) the accumulated ash of hundreds of fires, though no fire has been lit here for a few years. The ashes hide roughhewn spear tips of goblin manufacture and small animal bones from past meals.

A set of half-crumbling switchback stairs lead into the depths.

Archmage1
2012-09-01, 12:56 PM
Darian
Looking around at the group, and seeing that they appeared all right, Darian takes a step forward, and looks down over the staircase

Long way to fall. Still, should be... informative. Who knows what is down there.

"Well, looks like we have a somewhat risky path down. Hopefully, it is safe to use. If not, we may need more rope."

Knowledge Architecture check on the stairs:[roll0]
spot check as well[roll1] listen[roll2]

Roguenewb
2012-09-01, 12:56 PM
The stairs look old, and worn, but stable.

you do not see or hear anything else in the depths.

Space Lawyer
2012-09-01, 01:01 PM
Ilden

Lythe, how about you go first this time? These ruins seem to be somewhat more dangerous to beginners such as ourselves than I was expecting.

PersonMan
2012-09-01, 01:20 PM
Lythe

Lythe nods at Ilden, her mind still clouded by a haze of strange thoughts. She felt great, but at the same time she was frightened by where this surge of confidence and vitality seemed to come from.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-01, 03:17 PM
Shebb

Not feeling terrifically worried about the signs of goblins and rats, Shebb and Simon fall into line with the others as they begin descending the stairs. Both of them will take up positions near the rear, if no one else has any other preference. Simon will take the rear guard, and Shebb will trott a few feet in front of him.

If anything approaches the group from behind, the animals' Scent ability should give the party a heads up.

Simon is on alert, and will make noise to tell the party if he perceives anything out of the ordinary.

packersfan
2012-09-01, 04:36 PM
James

James falls in line with the rest of the group, taking position in front of simon and shhebb and pulls out his croosbow.

Space Lawyer
2012-09-01, 06:55 PM
Ilden

Ilden takes up a position in the middle of the group. I'm not letting any more rats sneak up on me.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 12:12 PM
Two Hours Before Midday

After killing off the three strange rats, you advance across the ledge, and start down the ancient staircase, now crumbling with age.

At the edge of sight, a fortress top emerges from the darkness. The subterranean citadel, though impressive, seems long forgotten, if the lightless windows,cracked crenellations, and leaning towers are any indication. All is quiet, though a cold breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot.

The stair widens into a smaller ledge, but this ledge appears deserted, and you continue on down into the ravine, the light above becoming narrower, and narrower, as defined by the edges of the ravine.

The narrow stairs empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into
the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding cavern floor. The floor stretches away to the north and south, and it is apparently
composed of a layer of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth. To the west looms the surviving structure of what must
be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard.

packersfan
2012-09-02, 12:22 PM
James

James looks around the courtyard and then looks back and the party Alright, I'll move a head and siliently cheack to see if there is anything inside the door that might surprise us. James then stealthly moves across the courtyard and opens the door quitly and just enought so he can see inside the room without anyone else in the room noticing.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 12:53 PM
As James crosses the ground, suddenly, the floor gives way!

reflex save

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 01:12 PM
James deftly steps out of the way, reacting almost before the floor truly falls away. Once the movement stops, you can see that a trapdoor pit-trap was left behind in this place. In the darkness of the pit bottom, you can see a handful of goblin corpses in various states of decline, and in one corner, hissing, a live Dire Rat.

packersfan
2012-09-02, 01:44 PM
James
Full round action

James walks over to the hole, aims his crossbow, and shoots.

Roll:s

[roll2]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 01:45 PM
James shot falls wide.

packersfan
2012-09-02, 02:01 PM
James
Full round action

James reloads and shots again

Rolls

damage: [roll1]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 02:05 PM
A skewering arrow from James's crossbow strikes the rat in one eye, and the creature perishes.

Fun fact, it was still flat-footed, so you could still get SA die, not that you needed them

You also all gain 25 experience points!

Space Lawyer
2012-09-02, 02:36 PM
Ilden

Great shot! I'll have to learn that trick, though I'm not near as nimble as you. Ilden walks forward, poking at the ground with his quarterstaff before putting his foot down.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 02:37 PM
A one foot wide beam crosses the edge of the pit, allowing access to the door and the tower hulk behind it.

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 02:41 PM
Darian

Darian looks around his companions in front of him(he is near James in the order) at the view in front of him, almost not hearing James's comment about scouting ahead.

Incredible. This place must have once been a sight to see. I wonder why it collapsed into the earth. Did they choose a poor spot to build, or did some magical effect cause it. Better be careful, though. These ruins are probably not uninhabited

However, his thoughts are interrupted by the triggering of the pit trap, and Darian looks up in time to see James's heroic fight with the dire rat, as well as his dodge.

"How did you know that trap was going off? Impressive dodge. Nice shot as well. Do you think we should climb down there and see if those goblins have anything valuable, or should we just continue on?"

packersfan
2012-09-02, 02:54 PM
James

Looking at Ilden Well alot of practice sure did help. then at Darian My father told me all about traps and as I felt the ground shift alittle I knew I hit a pit fall. then turning to the rest of the group Maybe we should set up camp here so we can leave the supplies we don't want too take with us and I can go down and retrive my bolts and search the bodys. What does everyone think?

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 02:56 PM
"Well, I can see where searching the bodies is a plan, but didn't we leave most of our supplies with the mule on the surface?"

packersfan
2012-09-02, 03:13 PM
James

[COLOR="DarkOrange"Well I have my bedroll with me and I brought the food down with Simon.[/COLOR]

OOC:
There is a post were i said i was packing the food in with Simon and no one said different so I'mm assuming that its still in there.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 03:15 PM
As the magnificent sight of the subterranean citadel comes into view, Shebb smiles to himself. Truly, this was an adventure worth leaving home for.

As the trap door is sprung, both Shebb and Simon fall into a shallow crouch, ready for action. When the situation is resolved so easily, though, Shebb feels a mild ache of disappointment.

"Must we set up camp already? The day is still young, and we do not know how far we have yet to explore. I would hate to waste the day here, and might regret it even more tomorrow."

Again, Shebb searches the ground for signs of life. If he finds tracks, he will attempt to discern how long ago they were left, by what, and by how many.

Search: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 03:21 PM
Schebb You find a number of goblin footprints. Some seem as fresh as three days old. You see a single human sized boot print, about 2 weeks old

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 03:37 PM
Shebb

Having prowled around the room for a bit, Shebb returns to the group, settles back on his haunches, and begins licking his paw.

"Besides, when we do settle down, I'd prefer if it was in a more out of the way spot. Looks like a few goblins have passed through recently. Nasty sorts, those. Not the kinds of fellows you want standing over you in the middle of the night, breathing all heavy."

Shebb looks down into the pit. If no one else is going to do it, and if it looks like Shebb would be able to climb back out, he will leap down to search the corpses.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 03:39 PM
Schebb finds three dead goblins, two broken crossbow bolts and a dead rat. The goblins have a number of pouches and bags.

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 03:40 PM
Darian
"James, Schebb is right. If you are carrying enough stuff for it to be an issue, just cache it somewhere near the entrance. If not, we should probably get on with exploring the area."

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 03:44 PM
Pulling at the bags' draw strings, he attempts to open the bags, stick his head inside, and loot around to see what can be seen. He pulls the pouches off carefully with his teeth, and brings them back up. When he's made it back up top, he tells the others what he found and was unable to bring up

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 03:46 PM
Schebb Most of the bags are full of worthless things. Bits of arrowheads, scraps of twine, bread, and rancid meat. However, the most recently dead goblin has 4 gp and 23 sp in a pouch of fine human manufacture.

packersfan
2012-09-02, 03:56 PM
James
When I said set up I meant just remove what we don't want to take in the citadel with use, while I search the bodies and then we can be on the way.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 04:08 PM
Shebb

Shebb emerges from the pit a bundle of twine and the pouch of gold held firmly in his mouth. He deposits the pouch on the ground in front of the others.

"Well, looks like we have some coin to show for our efforts so far!"

He leaps up onto Simon's back, and deposits the twine in one of the saddle pouches. Still sitting up there, he begins licking furiously, trying to get the smell of rotted goblin off his pelt. Rubbing his right paw up behind his ear, Shebb's eyes meet James's. "I've nothing I wish to leave behind, myself. We could probably clear a safe spot in the pit to hide anything of yours you don't want to carry, though."

packersfan
2012-09-02, 04:23 PM
James

Well let's just get going.

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 04:25 PM
Darian
"Fair enough. Do you want to scout ahead a bit, or should we just follow you"

Space Lawyer
2012-09-02, 04:49 PM
Ilden

Ilden picks up the coin pouch. I'll carry this until we get back to the surface. I promise everybody their fair share. I'm still more comfortable with our stealthier and more combat-capable companions scouting ahead.

packersfan
2012-09-02, 04:52 PM
James
No point in it right now, If anything in that room they have already heard. James walks up to the door and opens it.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 04:55 PM
This circular area is cobbled with cracked granite,
upon which sprawl four goblins, all apparently slain
in combat. One stands with its back against the
western wall, the killing spear still skewering it and
holding it upright. Three wooden doors lead off
from this the area. Above, a hollow tower of loose
masonry reaches 30 feet, but the intervening floors
and stairs are gone, except for a couple of crumbled
ledges.

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 05:01 PM
Darian

[i]It looks like whomever came here first killed goblins for us. But they left behind loot. Odd. So... 4 ways to go. Up, and the three doors. I wonder if anyone can climb the tower safely? Might be a good view from up there.[i]
knowledge engineering[roll0]

"Interesting. We should search the bodies, then decide on a route. I wonder if the tower would be safe to climb for someone."

search[roll1]

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 05:04 PM
Shebb

Shebb tucks between James's legs, staring into the room. Pausing for a moment, he scans for signs of movement, and sniffs the air for any indicators of life.

If he senses nothing, he will cautiously enter the room, calling for Simon to follow him. He will approach the goblins slowly, searching the ground for a clue as to what might have killed these goblins.

Although he is further away now, the others will still "hear" him just as clearly as when he is standing beside them. "How long do you think they've been dead?"

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 05:04 PM
Darian Looking up makes it clear that there is nothing above you. The empty shell of the tower extends to an open roof. Each goblin has a shortsword. When you search, you feel your senses tingling for a secret door to the due south.

http://s19.postimage.org/qsmte9543/tower.jpg

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 05:07 PM
Shebb

Shebb tucks between James's legs, staring into the room. Pausing for a moment, he scans for signs of movement, and sniffs the air for any indicators of life.

If he senses nothing, he will cautiously enter the room, calling for Simon to follow him. He will approach the goblins slowly, searching the ground for a clue as to what might have killed these goblins.

Although he is further away now, the others will still "hear" him just as clearly as when he is standing beside them. "How long do you think they've been dead?"

Same info as Darian.

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 05:07 PM
Darian
"I think that there is a secret door in the south part of the room. Can anyone else find it?"
Search again?[roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 05:08 PM
Darian looks more dedicatedly, and finds nothing new.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 05:09 PM
Shebb

The cat's curiosity is piqued at the mention of a secret door. He follows close to Darian, sniffing eagerly at everything the other searches.

Search to Aid Another: [roll0]

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 05:14 PM
Darian
"I found a secret door. I wonder what it is hiding?"
Darian opens the door

Space Lawyer
2012-09-02, 05:15 PM
Ilden

Ilden begins poking at the walls with his quarterstaff, holding it as far ut in front of himself as possible.

Ilden follows behind Darian into the secret door.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 05:16 PM
This pocket chamber is damp and cold. The skeletons
of three long-dead archers slump against
rubble-filled arrow slits along the east and south
wall.

reflex save Darian

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 05:18 PM
When Darian opens, the door, a tiny needle shoots out of the knob, trying to stab into his hand, and the last possible second, he jerks his hand away, avoiding it's puncture.

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 05:20 PM
Darian
"Nasty. I wonder if there is anything of value in here. Or more traps."
searchy rolls search[roll0] spot[roll1] listen[roll2]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 05:22 PM
As Darian begins to search, the three skeletons suddenly have spots of red fire appear in their eyes, in a surprising movement, they stand.

http://s19.postimage.org/7snbe5xr7/battle_2.jpg

packersfan
2012-09-02, 07:00 PM
James
Full Round action

JAmes moves into position so he can get a clear shot and #2 and shots

Rolls:

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 07:19 PM
James arrow right through the skeleton's rib cage. It appears completely unfazed by the attack.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 08:19 PM
The cat takes a quick step back, and the dog whose been following you quickly steps forward, and attacks the skeleton around the edge of the door. Normally, it would be a difficult attack, but Simon proves a trusty beast, and snags the femur of the Skeleton's left leg. The dog pulls with all it's strength, but the skeleton's leg slips through, and the skeleton yet stands.

The three skeletons all turn their claws on Darian.

15, 8 and 3 to hit. For 4, 4, and 2 damage for each that hits.

Only one of the skeletons manages to hit him before he tucks his head low and moves past Simon, and clear across the tower.

Ilden holds out his holy symbol. He feels the holy power of the Dweller Beyond the Horizon rushing through him to crash into the skeletons. Walk no more! Your journey ends here!

The light that originates in the holy symbol of Ilden fills you all with a strange kind of hope. The light fills the room without blinding, and all three skeletons seem to be stricken in great pain, and all three cower against the inner walls of the side room.

http://s19.postimage.org/hotgax9ur/Battle_two_round_1_ilden.jpg

The party rallies against the cowering undead, and they are destroyed easily.

You all receive 60 experience points

Space Lawyer
2012-09-02, 08:31 PM
Ilden

Walking forward, with his holy symbol held out, Ilden takes his quarterstaff and begins vigorously smashing the skeletons. When he is finished, he gives a little huff. Someone clearly hasn't been doing their job right. I'm going to have a talk with the local priests when we get back to town.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 08:39 PM
Simon continues tearing into the skeletons, until all three have stopped their unnatural movement.

Good boy. Shebb calls for Simon to return to his side, and he nuzzles the dog with the side of his face. He sits at the dogs feet, and Simon plops down, lying on his stomach, and begins licking the cat.

Shebb, whose head-fur is rapidly dampening under the weight of the dog's tongue, squints one eye to avoid getting saliva in it.

"A useful trick, that." Only the young priest hears him.

He pulls away from Simon's slobbery embrace, and leaps back onto the dog's saddle. When he speaks again, everyone can hear him.

"Well, that was exciting. I suppose we should grab the loot and move on." He leaps down and begins inspecting the goblin corpses. "Would one of you mind letting that goblin down off the wall?"

Once the corpses have been looted (we can store the weapons on Simon's pack, if you like), he stares around at the others. "Well, which way next? I, personally, am a fan of the left door."

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 08:54 PM
Darian
"Well, thanks to Ilden, that was an easy battle.(hands Ildens quarterstaff back). I think it is time to search that room to see what is in there. Hopefully, something interesting."

take 20 on search 27

packersfan
2012-09-02, 08:57 PM
James

James makes his way over to the goblin and the spear. I've got a better idea. James rips the spear out of the wall and bars the door that leads out of the citadel. So noone can come in behind us. James then goes and searches the room.

Rolls:

Search: [roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 08:57 PM
Among the skeletons, you find 33 sp, 21 gp, and 3 incredibly well made bolts, for a medium sized crossbow.

Roguenewb
2012-09-02, 08:59 PM
When James pulls the spear free of the goblin's body, it slides down the wall revealing deep set and impressive runes in the draconic language.

Those who can read draconic see the name Ashardalon

packersfan
2012-09-02, 09:00 PM
James

Picking up the BoltsI'll take these. James then heads to the door to his left and turns to face the group Shall we?

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 09:03 PM
Darian
"Hold up James, that writing on the wall... Draconic. It says Ashardalon."
knowledge checks on Ashardalon
arcana [roll0]
dungeoneering [roll1]
planes [roll2]
history [roll3]
local [roll4]
nobility [roll5]

Archmage1
2012-09-02, 09:09 PM
More Darian

Tracing his fingers over the runes, Darian provides more information about Ashardalon.

"Ashardalon was a red dragon that trafficked with some powerful demons. He had some sort of bond with a Balor. He was active some 400 years ago. I wonder how old these ruins are? And why would someone carve that name onto the wall."

Architecture check: how old are the ruins[roll0]. also history check, for the same information[roll1]

After looking around a bit, Darian remembers some stuff that Garon said about the ruins.

"The ruins sank around 200 years ago, and were build around 500 years ago. So, the question is: When were those runes written? and by whom? This is more interesting than I thought it would be."

Space Lawyer
2012-09-02, 09:11 PM
Ilden

Ilden bends down to pick up the coins. If only there were some more convenient way of denoting and transporting wealth. Or better, yet, a place where one could keep their wealth, rather than a coin sack or locked chest. Then the places where we keep wealth could just vouch that the money is there, and merchants would have such an easier time of it. Hmmm, yes... At the mention of the name Ashardalon. Huh, rings a bell...

Lore: [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]
Knowledge (History): [roll2]
Knowledge (Planes): [roll3]

Archmage1
2012-09-03, 09:37 AM
Darian
Looking up from the wall, Darian shrugs before talking.
"Well, I doubt that we will be able to answer those questions just standing here. Shall we continue? We might as well start with the left-most door, unless anyone has any other suggestions."
Darian heads over to each door, and tries to observe anything unusual about them

first door search[roll0] spot[roll1] listen[roll2]
2nd door search[roll3] spot[roll4] listen[roll5]
3rd door search[roll6] spot[roll7] listen[roll8]

packersfan
2012-09-03, 09:55 AM
James

I'll scout head, just make sure I can get alitle bit of light from the torch so I can see. With that james waits for Darian to tell him the door is clear of traps and the opens the door.

Roguenewb
2012-09-03, 08:43 PM
Darian finds nothing unusual about the two unopened doors.

Roguenewb
2012-09-03, 08:50 PM

Roguenewb
2012-09-03, 08:52 PM

packersfan
2012-09-03, 09:11 PM
James

Alright guys, hang back alittle I'll scout a head. And with that James stealthly opens the door and surveys the hallway

Rolls:

Move Silently to open door: [roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-09-03, 09:12 PM
Which door?

3 is the room you can in on, so it's north or south door.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-03, 09:23 PM
Shebb

Crouched on the dog's back, Simon eyes the goblin corpses curiously as James goes to scout. He wondered...

"A question," the others will hear. "If we meet the goblins – or whatever has been picking them off – do we kill them on the spot?" The cat yawns, and turns his attention to the opening door.

Roguenewb
2012-09-03, 09:24 PM
Which door?

3 is the room you can in on, so it's north or south door.

Roguenewb
2012-09-04, 09:53 AM
A Week and Five Days Before Midsummer
Two Hours Before Noon

You open the door to the south.

The masonry walls of this 20-foot
wide hall are in poor repair. The far
end is especially bad, as it has
completely collapsed, filling the
southern section with rubble. The
western wall is in much better shape
than the other walls, and it holds a
stone door with a rearing dragon
carved in relief upon it. The door
contains a single keyhole, which is
situated in the rearing dragon's open
mouth.

packersfan
2012-09-04, 02:17 PM
JAmes

James waves the rest of the group forward and tests the door to see if it is lock. If it isn't then he opens the door, if its is not he tries picking the lock.

Rolls:

Will take ten on the open lock so 16
If James cannot take ten: [roll0]

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-04, 03:14 PM
Shebb

Shebb, once again riding on Simon's back, trudge carefully into the room behind James. He sniffs at the air while his eyes dart around the room – both senses looking for any signs of life.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on Shebb's question (whether or not the group will kill goblins or other sentient "baddies" on sight)?

Roguenewb
2012-09-04, 03:29 PM
The large, metal door has the head of a dragon in the center where a handle might otherwise be. There appears to be no mechanism to interact with in order to unlock the door. There must be something you aren't seeing...

packersfan
2012-09-04, 03:44 PM
James

James seaches the hall way looking for any kind of mechanism that would open the door. as for shebb's question james answers If they arent hostile then we could try to work something out, but if they attack for then no mercy.

Rolls

Search: [roll0]

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-04, 04:07 PM
Shebb

Provided that he can't sense anything living in the room, Shebb will continue in and sniff at the ground. Perhaps, if there is a secret lever to open the door, he could find footprints near the switch?

Roguenewb
2012-09-04, 04:09 PM
You find nothing else of note in the room.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-04, 04:14 PM
Shebb

Losing interest quickly, Shebb yawns and jumps back onto Simon's back. The mastiff trots around the room, continuing to sniff. Circling around, the dog comes to Ilden's side, and he licks the priest's hand.

"Well," the cat muses, "this seems to be a dead end, at least for the moment. As thrilling as this room is, I think our time might be better served elsewhere. Perhaps if we double back and take the other door, we'll find something a bit more... interesting?"

packersfan
2012-09-04, 04:18 PM
James

James does one last check over of the door, but realizing that Shebb might be right he frowns and turns Your probably right, lets go check the other door. James then goes into the next room and opens that door.

Archmage1
2012-09-04, 06:17 PM
Darian
After observing the others failing to find any way to open the door, Darian makes a mental note of the room for later, and heads for the exit, intending to be among the last pass through the door on the right.

Roguenewb
2012-09-04, 07:47 PM
You open the door to a long hallway. For 45 feet, this halway extends until it meets a door. 35 feet down the hallway are a pair of doors, one on each side of the east-west hallway (thus, one on the north side, and one on the south side).

packersfan
2012-09-04, 08:14 PM
James

Keeping with the plan James sneaks down the hall and listens to the southern door inorder see if he can hear anything in the other room
Rolls:

Move silently:[roll0]
lsiten:[roll1]

Roguenewb
2012-09-04, 08:20 PM
You hear nothing from beyond the door to the south.

packersfan
2012-09-04, 08:29 PM
James

James then turn to the door on the opposite side (northern door) and listens to that. If nothing is heard and moves to the door at the far end of the hall and listens to that door.

Rolls for north door:

Listen: [roll0]

Rolls for west door if need:

Move silently: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Space Lawyer
2012-09-04, 08:57 PM
Ilden

Ilden sketches a bit in his journal, drawing a map as best he can. I always vote for heading north. I'd suggest we head that way first. Ilden pokes around the north door with quarterstaff, trying to see if there are any hidden pressure plates or other devious traps.

Archmage1
2012-09-04, 09:01 PM
Darian
Seeing Ilden follow James down the hallway, Darian also follows, figuring stealth has been lost in any event. Darian also investigates the doors for traps.

search on both doors, north first[roll1][roll0] BLACKJACK! (I can do that, right?)

"James, did you hear or see anything near the doors?"

Roguenewb
2012-09-05, 08:48 AM
You all diligently search the corridor for traps or oddities of any sort. Except for old wooden doors and ancient stone work, you find nothing of interest.

Archmage1
2012-09-05, 09:18 AM
Darian
"Well, then. If there are no traps, or unpleasant surprises, perhaps we should continue? The longer we just stand here, the higher the chances of something going wrong for us."

Space Lawyer
2012-09-05, 09:29 AM
Ilden

"I agree. Forward we go!" With that, Ilden opens the north door (with his staff, if possible) then quickly steps back.

packersfan
2012-09-05, 10:17 AM
James

James takes up a position behind Ilden with his crossbow and readies an action tto fire if anything hostile ison the other side

Archmage1
2012-09-05, 10:22 AM
Darian
Darian draws his bow, and, his arms trembling from the strain, holds it ready for a hostile encounter

PersonMan
2012-09-05, 12:45 PM
Lythe

Lythe preps the Black Cleaver, ready to swing at anything that could come at them from the other side.

Roguenewb
2012-09-05, 05:05 PM
You open the old wooded door to the northern room, inside is a 20x20 square room with no other doors. This ruined chamber stands empty of all but a litter of rocky debris.