PDA

View Full Version : Okay, 40K and Megaman don't mix, even as a ruleset. What about the Star Wars RPG?

Eshkigal
2012-08-27, 09:39 PM
I've been trying to figure out a homebrew system for a Megaman game for a while, with a major hangup being damage. Then I thought about it, with some stories I heard about the 40k based systems, and realized they have a lot of what I was looking for. Servitors could be mechaniloids, DH rules for humans, bosses based off monsters from the warp and other things, a varied weapon system, armor of different tiers. From what little exposure I've had, the jobs fit well, too, and it would only take a little reworking to get everything in, I think. So, those of you with experience with the systems in question, do you think it could work?

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-27, 09:42 PM
I've only ever read Rogue Trader, but the Rogue Trader rules for combat seem to emphasize characters having limbs maimed and eyes burnt out and other gory stuff that wouldn't work well for megaman.

Dsurion
2012-08-27, 10:38 PM
What about Star Wars Saga? It's a hell of a lot less gritty than the 40K systems, but has lots of rules for Droids and various weapons.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-27, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the DH/RT/DW line is probably way too gritty for a Megaman game - almost all characters are extremely fragile in relation to their damage output, and there's heavy mechanical emphasis on crippling injuries both temporary and permanent.

king.com
2012-08-28, 07:53 AM
If megaman was about being brutally murdered and the characters desperately clawling at life from unimaginable horrors in the universe then I guess thats what your after but the game systems are about being extremely low powered. It doesnt really work too well when you start making them more powerful or trying to not have the gameplay about hiding and investigating eldrich horrors.

Eshkigal
2012-08-28, 08:10 AM
I do believe I see now. Thank you for helping change my opinion of this, though everyone being robots, some bodily maiming might happen (after all, let's say you're playing a maverick hunter in an X game, mav blows arm off, you have 5 more at home anyway).

I would like to know more about the Star Wars rpg then, as I haven't really had a chance to find the books. Anyone have a link where I could possibly get more details, please?

wadledo
2012-08-28, 09:55 AM
Do it in Savage Worlds.

I'm already making a Megaman Legends hack for it myself.

Raimun
2012-08-28, 12:15 PM
Either Mutants and Masterminds (craft your own powers) or Bang!, the card game, where Gregory Deck is Megaman.

YPU
2012-08-28, 01:27 PM
Do it in Savage Worlds.

Savage worlds has a free war-gaming skirmish variant of their rules called showdown. It has very flexible unit building system that might well have everything that you need. Also the system is based on a more pulpy heroic style of play that might well be more suited to your needs. And like I said, free, so check it out.

http://www.peginc.com/shop/savage-worlds-showdown/

YPU
2012-08-28, 01:28 PM
Do it in Savage Worlds.

Savage worlds has a free war-gaming skirmish variant of their rules called showdown. It has very flexible unit building system that might well have everything that you need. Also the system is based on a more pulpy heroic style of play that might well be more suited to your needs. And like I said, free, so check it out.

http://www.peginc.com/shop/savage-worlds-showdown/

Andrewmoreton
2012-08-28, 01:58 PM
Any Superhero game would be more suitable than either Star Wars or DArk Heresy actually having been designed for exactly this sort of game

Alejandro
2012-08-28, 02:32 PM
Yeah, the DH/RT/DW line is probably way too gritty for a Megaman game - almost all characters are extremely fragile in relation to their damage output, and there's heavy mechanical emphasis on crippling injuries both temporary and permanent.

Well, Megaman does hunt down his enemies, kill them, then wield and or wear parts of them while he hunts his next victim. Kind of like Leatherface :D

Raimun
2012-08-28, 03:10 PM
Well, Megaman does hunt down his enemies, kill them, then wield and or wear parts of them while he hunts his next victim. Kind of like Leatherface :D

"This just in! Megaman's a psycho!"