PDA

View Full Version : Aid on a build Concept "Jake"

Ordrath
2012-08-27, 10:30 PM
My gf is getting into D&D finally(3.5) since a mutual friend is running a campaign. Since I know the system I'd help her buiuld a character concept she liked. She requested a build/character along the line of Jake from "Adventure Time". I am pretty much at a loss on how to build that.

We are allowed basicly all source books excluding ToB ToM. Starting lvl 5 with 9K gold to spend as we want. Any help on how to make a 'Jake' character would be most appreciated.

Tahujdt
2012-08-27, 10:37 PM
Well, if I remember correctly, Jake didn't always have his stretchy powers. Maybe have him gain one ability per level, or have a bunch of stretchy skills to spend points on. Enlarge, natural weaponry, evasion, etc.

Ordrath
2012-08-27, 10:42 PM
Hmm that's not a bad idea, you mean sort of like Monster level from Savage species?

Manly Man
2012-08-28, 12:19 AM
Couple levels as a mix of Rogue and Psychic Warrior might get it started, it looks like to me. Without Tome of Battle (some levels as a Swordsage would be excellent help with that, unfortunately), many of the things that would make him all the more customizable would be limited. Perhaps you could simulate him with a Tashalatora build? I haven't looked too deeply into them, nor am I a downright avid fan of Adventure Time, but if I'm thinking properly, there are some powers from the Psychic Warrior that would simulate Jake's abilities.

Of course, if I don't seem to know what on Earth I'm talking about, then ignore my words.

Arcanist
2012-08-28, 12:40 AM
Changeling Egotist (or one with the Change Shape ACF might fit the bill).

Wings of Peace
2012-08-28, 04:28 AM
A changeling Warshaper build sounds close to what she wants. I'm not certain how to get Dog form in there but I'm sure there's a way.

Edit: Wildshape Ranger 5 would let her do all her Warshaper stuff as a Dog but she wouldn't have any Warshaper levels to start with.

Reize
2012-08-28, 04:44 AM
You could use the Savage Species progression for Hound Archon from the Monster Manual. Jake doesn't strike me as the lawful type, but mechanically it should do what you want. Turn into any large or small canine, regardless of HD, and you qualify for Warshaper straight away for arm stretchy goodness.

Wings of Peace
2012-08-28, 05:02 AM
You could use the Savage Species progression for Hound Archon from the Monster Manual. Jake doesn't strike me as the lawful type, but mechanically it should do what you want. Turn into any large or small canine, regardless of HD, and you qualify for Warshaper straight away for arm stretchy goodness.

What would the BaB progression be on a Hound Archon? Because Warshaper requires BaB 4.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-28, 05:05 AM
Definitely a situation to use Masterof Many Forms in

That's Wildshape Ranger 5 / MoMF X

Wings of Peace
2012-08-28, 05:08 AM
Definitely a situation to use Masterof Many Forms in

That's Wildshape Ranger 5 / MoMF X

I'd say that this depends on the rest of the group. MoMF is pretty subpar in terms of what you give up vs. what you gain. Plus they start at level 5 so she wouldn't be Jake at the start.

Reize
2012-08-28, 05:08 AM
What would the BaB progression be on a Hound Archon? Because Warshaper requires BaB 4.

They're outsiders with 6 RHD and 5 LA. If she's allowed to jump ship on the progression, she could have 4 HD and 4 BAB at ECL 5 (Hound archons start out with change shape). Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to go into warshaper until ECL 11 without some sort of LA buyoff.

Wings of Peace
2012-08-28, 05:11 AM
They're outsiders with 6 RHD and 5 LA. If she's allowed to jump ship on the progression, she could have 4 HD and 4 BAB at ECL 5 (Hound archons start out with change shape). Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to go into warshaper until ECL 11 without some sort of LA buyoff.

That'd mean she could take Warshaper at level 6 right? Or am I misreading you? I'm pretty bad when it comes to the Savage Progression rules so this is interesting to me.

Reize
2012-08-28, 06:09 AM
That'd mean she could take Warshaper at level 6 right? Or am I misreading you? I'm pretty bad when it comes to the Savage Progression rules so this is interesting to me.

Well, it specifically says that when using the monster progression, the player can't multiclass until he finishes it, meaning that normally she could take her first level of warshaper as her 12th level at earliest. I could have sworn there was an adaptation section that said a DM might allow someone to multiclass before finishing their monster progression, but it might just have to be houseruled.

If you have DM permission then yes, one could conceivably be a Hound Archon 5/Warshaper X

Manly Man
2012-08-28, 02:24 PM
Also, as another alternative to the Hound Archon's LA, there's a homebrewed monster class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7987311&postcount=89) for them right here on this site.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-28, 03:32 PM
I'd say that this depends on the rest of the group. MoMF is pretty subpar in terms of what you give up vs. what you gain. Plus they start at level 5 so she wouldn't be Jake at the start.

Master of Many Forms is a damn powerful class that increases a lot in strength over time. The main reasons it's normally avoided is that Druids lose spellcasting progression and they never get the spell-like abilities of the things they turn in to (as opposed to Planar Shephard).

A Ranger 5 will have Endurance as a class feature, and there are many ways to pick up Alertness on the side. (Even SotAO + Obtain Familiar). Wildshape Ranger gets Wildshape at level 5, so that's taken care of.

The key ability that occured to me that is important (other than the TONS of forms gained) is the fact that she'd gain an extra use of Wildshape per day every single level. Wildshape Ranger 5/MoMF 5 is 6 uses per day. By that time she'd also be able to use a move action to turn into any:

Tiny, Small, Medium, or Large
Animal, Humanoid, Giant, Monstrous Humanoid, Fey, or Vermin

Would that take time to research and get everything under her belt? Yes. Is it awesome as hell? Hell yes.
~

If she decides to go with something like Warshaper, then she should start as a Changeling so she can use the abilities all the time.