PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural Poisons + Monks?

silverwolfer
2012-08-27, 10:54 PM
I know diamond body says, immune to all poisons, are super natural or magical poisons considered the same tier, or a completely different thing?

Logic
2012-08-27, 10:59 PM
It means all poisons.

Though, a DM could decide to "tailor" a poison to someone otherwise immune.

It isn't exactly playing fair, but since when are DMs fair? :smalltongue:

docnessuno
2012-08-27, 11:00 PM
I don't want to sound rude but the text is pretty clear:

... immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Compare to Purity of Body

... immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Edit: Swordsage'd
But i got quotes!!

Psyren
2012-08-27, 11:02 PM
"Poisons of all kinds" is pretty clear.

And why would you want to nerf the poor monk even MORE?

silverwolfer
2012-08-27, 11:09 PM
It is not as much nerf, just I have to fight some evil monks, which nerfs my own crossbow output.

docnessuno
2012-08-27, 11:12 PM
It is not as much nerf, just I have to fight some evil monks, which nerfs my own crossbow output.

Be glad you don't have to fight some evil Wizards.
Or Sorcerers
Or Bards
Or Adepts...

Alefiend
2012-08-27, 11:16 PM
There's an argument to be made for ravages from BoED being effective against evil monks. Ravages don't appear to be stopped by poison immunity, at least as far as the flavor text is concerned. I've never used them (and tend not to use poison unless it's a creature's natural attack), but you could look into this.

2xMachina
2012-08-28, 07:44 AM
Ravages aren't poison. Cause it's good! And Poison is evil!

LTwerewolf
2012-08-28, 09:05 AM
We've never played poison as evil. A druid doesn't condemn a poison dart frog or a snake, or even a fleshraker for having poison. It's natural.

Granted there are SOME poisons that would be inherently evil, like any poison from a devil's barb or something, but that's because of the source, not because of the poison itself.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 09:13 AM

Well, they can also go around snatching your bolts out of the air so it might be a good idea to find another way to attack.

2xMachina
2012-08-28, 10:04 AM
We've never played poison as evil. A druid doesn't condemn a poison dart frog or a snake, or even a fleshraker for having poison. It's natural.

Granted there are SOME poisons that would be inherently evil, like any poison from a devil's barb or something, but that's because of the source, not because of the poison itself.

It's lampooning Book of Exalted Deeds.

"Ravages! Exactly like poisons, but GOOD!"

Starbuck_II
2012-08-28, 10:11 AM
Well, they can also go around snatching your bolts out of the air so it might be a good idea to find another way to attack.

If you could pioson them, you poison the bolt so when they grab it out ofthre air, they get poisoned. Use contact poison.

TiaC
2012-08-28, 10:16 AM

Really? I don't see what's evil about using these poisons. After all, killing an evil outsider is probably not an evil act, and once it's dead why not harvest the poison?

LTwerewolf
2012-08-28, 10:21 AM
Really? I don't see what's evil about using these poisons. After all, killing an evil outsider is probably not an evil act, and once it's dead why not harvest the poison?

Same concept as using undead. Some things are just evil or perverse in of themselves, regardless of why they're used. One of those "the ends does not justify the means" things. It's just a personal viewpoint.

edit for clarification:
Just as undead are a perversion of life, demon/devil poison is a perversion of nature.

awa
2012-08-28, 04:59 PM
if i recall correctly their are some special magic drow poisons that ignore poison immunity

hex0
2012-08-28, 05:37 PM
Supernatural Poisons + Monks?

Contact poison all over you body + Grappling?