PDA

View Full Version : PC and NPC level interpretation.

Ointhedwarf
2012-08-28, 07:32 AM
Hi I'm an aspiring DM and I'm wondering how a PC's and a NPC's level demonstrates his competence AND his position in a fantasy world similar to that of Faerun.

Concerning PCs one can easily comprehend their power by using the challenge ratings regardless of how each player has taken advantage of its leveling with powerful builds and such. For example that fact that 3 goblins are an easy encounter for 4 PCs means that a 1st level character is about as competent as 2 goblins (seeing it rather simplistically). But what about their role in the fantasy's society? I know this depends on how the DM handles his campaign and whether its high-powered and demanding but how do guys interpret levels? I haven't been in a high level campaign but I believe it should be something like this:
1st-3rd levels: common soldier/mercenary - you mainly do what you are told.
4th-7th levels: experienced adventurer, able warrior - your actions start to influence the world around you.
8th - 12th levels: powerful adventurer - you now affect the world, your decisions could directly affect whole cities.
12th onward I'm not sure...

Concerning NPCs, do you find comparing CRs too crude to measure an NPC's abilities? How would you scale an NPC's abilities in way similar to the one used above?
I'm mainly ask these questions to succeed in making a plausible world to fit my campaign into by using the correct builds for certain characters (like kings, elite warriors, advisors etc) even if they don't directly affect the PC's adventure.

Thanks!

Ointhedwarf
2012-08-28, 03:45 PM
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/587/roleplaying-games/dd-calibrating-your-expectations-2

I found this blog that is rather useful, it explains why almost any hero we know would probably be no more than a 5th level character. I find this jolt of reality a bit restricting though its well supported arguments convince me.