PDA

View Full Version : Warforged components?

Venger
2012-08-28, 08:36 AM
I've been looking through the lists of them, (there don't seem to be that many) a few in the explorer's handbook, a few in the campaign setting, and some in forge of war.

Something that I'm a little confused about is the difference between attached and embedded components.

I think that "attached" can be removed and replaced with other items in that slot as the situations call for it. Is "embedded" permanent and can never be taken out? that seems like sort of a bum deal.

I ask because I'm going to roll a renegade mastermaker in my next game in a couple of weeks, and wanted to take advantage of the few useful warforged items. unfortunately, all the ones I thought were real seem to stem from dragon magazine, so will likely be disallowed, so I don't really want to rely on them, as cool as spider legs or scorpion tail or HUD are.

Somatic cables seem pretty awesome, as do vanguard treads. they both seem to be embedded though, so does that mean my mastermaker can never use another torso or foot item, even if he finds/makes a better one? that seems like it's a bit much.

What's the difference and hw do they work?

phlidwsn
2012-08-28, 08:45 AM
Attaching or detaching a warforged component is a standard action that never provokes.

Embedded: Safe from damage on a botched saving throw, cannot be targeted directly, ie Sunder.

Attached: Vulnerable to both of the above.

Source, ECS page 268

edit: also, all components use only a mental activation, still uses the listed action, but is effectively Silent & Stilled, and does not provoke. There are also a few more components listed in Races of Eberron & Magic of Eberron

Venger
2012-08-28, 08:58 AM
Attaching or detaching a warforged component is a standard action that never provokes.

Embedded: Safe from damage on a botched saving throw, cannot be targeted directly, ie Sunder.

Attached: Vulnerable to both of the above.

Source, ECS page 268

edit: also, all components use only a mental activation, still uses the listed action, but is effectively Silent & Stilled, and does not provoke. There are also a few more components listed in Races of Eberron & Magic of Eberron
great! so it is is still possible to remove an embedded component and replace it with something different later on, then put an embedded component back in later?

Psyren
2012-08-28, 09:11 AM
Actually, there are more components in MoE and SoX. There are also ways to attach Warforged components to non-warforged creatures (I think FoE has a couple of these.)

EDIT: RoE has some as well.

The Redwolf
2012-08-28, 09:55 AM
I'm about to play a warforged and I hadn't heard of any of this, I saw the two books mentioned by the OP, what are the ones you guys abbreviated? I'd like to look into this.

Venger
2012-08-28, 09:55 AM
Actually, there are more components in MoE and SoX. There are also ways to attach Warforged components to non-warforged creatures (I think FoE has a couple of these.)

EDIT: RoE has some as well.

are you talking about the new-style warforged grafts? I liked the way wakeful mind looks. I know the construct apotheosis thing makes it so I don't sleep after 15, but immunity to stunning (which living constructs don't have) is good, and hard to come by. is it worth the -2 to all knowledges? I'm going to enter as an archivist, so it's a part of my character, but not a huge one.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 10:06 AM
I'm about to play a warforged and I hadn't heard of any of this, I saw the two books mentioned by the OP, what are the ones you guys abbreviated? I'd like to look into this.

Sorry, I'm usually too lazy to type the splat names out :smallredface: I was used to the "common abbreviations" forum sticky which appears to only be in General Roleplaying now.

SoX: Secrets of Xen'drik
MoE: Magic of Eberron
RoE: Races of Eberron
FoE: Faiths of Eberron

are you talking about the new-style warforged grafts? I liked the way wakeful mind looks. I know the construct apotheosis thing makes it so I don't sleep after 15, but immunity to stunning (which living constructs don't have) is good, and hard to come by. is it worth the -2 to all knowledges? I'm going to enter as an archivist, so it's a part of my character, but not a huge one.

Yes, those are the ones - but if you're going to be a RMM anyway, you won't need them, as they get a class feature that lets them embed as many components as they want.

The Redwolf
2012-08-28, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I'm usually too lazy to type the splat names out :smallredface: I was used to the "common abbreviations" forum sticky which appears to only be in General Roleplaying now.

SoX: Secrets of Xen'drik
MoE: Magic of Eberron
RoE: Races of Eberron
FoE: Faiths of Eberron

Everyone here really seems to, I just don't know enough yet to know what they all are. Thank you for listing them though, I'll look those up later on, you may have given me new ways to infuriate my DM. :smallsmile:

Venger
2012-08-28, 02:54 PM
Yes, those are the ones - but if you're going to be a RMM anyway, you won't need them, as they get a class feature that lets them embed as many components as they want.
thanks. what do you mean exactly?

generally, you are right, since the heart of steel's benefits are given by living construct, as are the powerful legs, however, while wakeful mind's forsaking of sleep is ultimately useless (but good in the term from 12-15) the immunity to stunning is something that the living construct type does not give.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 03:02 PM
thanks. what do you mean exactly?

Renegade Mastermaker 7 lets you use Warforged Components - thus you don't need to buy grafts.

Venger
2012-08-28, 03:09 PM
Renegade Mastermaker 7 lets you use Warforged Components - thus you don't need to buy grafts.

Right, I'm with you there. I was just saying that wakeful mind provides an immunity to stunning, which construct exemplar does not, so I was curious if that was worth it (agree I wouldn't take the construct grafter feat, I'd just suc it up and pay full price). I agree, the other few grafts don't really do anything.