PDA

View Full Version : Best science project EVAR

pendell
2012-08-28, 10:31 AM
Teratogenic Effects of Pure Evil on Ursus Teddius Domesticus (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2245/pureevil.png)

Certainly beats "Effect of heat on solubility", which is what I had for 8th grade science fair.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

noparlpf
2012-08-28, 11:36 AM
Teratogenic Effects of Pure Evil on Ursus Teddius Domesticus (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2245/pureevil.png)

Certainly beats "Effect of heat on solubility", which is what I had for 8th grade science fair.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

What. That's excellent. That's the best thing I've seen all day.

Eldan
2012-08-28, 03:34 PM
I have an MSc in Biology. Can I apply as a minion?

pendell
2012-08-28, 04:01 PM
I have an MSc in Biology. Can I apply as a minion?

If I knew who the original author was, sure :). Still .. are you sure?

At the dosage of 1000ppm .. at 3 months 2 weeks, subject chewed through the steel bars of its cage, after which it killed and partially consumed two graduate students. Subject was then euthanized with a sustained burst of automatic weapons fire.

So the good news is that there are at least two openings for minions. The bad news is I don't know if they'll let you hold the gun.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Eldan
2012-08-28, 04:03 PM
If I knew who the original author was, sure :). Still .. are you sure?

So the good news is that there are at least two openings for minions. The bad news is I don't know if they'll let you hold the gun.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

I can make my own explosives, so that should help.

noparlpf
2012-08-28, 09:17 PM
I'm an undergrad Chem major. I should have a BS and an MS by the time I'm 21. Can I be a minion?

Traab
2012-08-28, 09:24 PM
Pfft, im my 8th grade science fair, I built a robotic arm that could pick up anything from an egg to a box of cereal, from 6 feet away. It was meant to be mounted on a wheelchair. Well... I thought it was pretty cool at least! The thing extended, opened and closed, all controlled by a joystick you could operate with one hand, it could tilt up, down, straight ahead, and at any angle in between. Makes me wonder why i never got into mechanical engineering now that i think about it.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-28, 11:20 PM
I hope whoever made that got a 100%. That is absolutely awesome.

Rawhide
2012-08-29, 01:15 AM
I hope this was for an art project. :smallwink:

noparlpf
2012-08-29, 05:46 AM
Pfft, im my 8th grade science fair, I built a robotic arm that could pick up anything from an egg to a box of cereal, from 6 feet away. It was meant to be mounted on a wheelchair. Well... I thought it was pretty cool at least! The thing extended, opened and closed, all controlled by a joystick you could operate with one hand, it could tilt up, down, straight ahead, and at any angle in between. Makes me wonder why i never got into mechanical engineering now that i think about it.

Neat. How did it work? Hydraulics would be simplest, I suppose.

Killer Angel
2012-08-29, 06:13 AM

It certainly rivals "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline"... :smalltongue:

Lensman
2012-09-03, 03:08 PM
It certainly rivals "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline"... :smalltongue:

Be warned - you're showing your age. Only us wrinklies remember the early days of Asimov.

Silverbit
2012-09-03, 03:31 PM
The horror, the horror. Someone applied the pseudonatural template to teddybears. :smalleek:

I think the "Pure Evil" and "toaster in the south of England" may be a referance to Time Bandits.

Awesome science project. I wanna join! :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2012-09-03, 06:24 PM
Neat. How did it work? Hydraulics would be simplest, I suppose.

It was actually electrically powered. Its been awhile, but iirc, I used two telescoping bits of metal, similar to a car radio antenna, with a bike clamp brake for the gripping portions. I got the motor from my fathers car shop, he had all sizes from small to large to work with, I cant remember how I hooked up the motor to the "arms" but it worked off a switch, three settings, forward, back, and stop. While the clamp hand took a LOT of finicky work to make it sensitive enough to grip fragile items without breaking them and heavy objects without dropping them. Flip the switch forward and it would slowly extend, flip it to neutral once its in place, grip the clamp control to hold the item, then flip the switch back to reverse. It had another clamp to hold it to the arm rest of a wheelchair, and one of those pivot hinges so you could adjust it to pick things up off a higher counter or the floor. In retrospect it was a bit too complicated, but not bad for a kid who did like 90% of the work himself.

Yeah I know last post I said joystick, but I thought about it more and remembered the controls were more complicated than that. I DO remember though that if you were dexterous enough, you could operate it one handed and it almost worked like power loader arms from the Alien movie. (no spinning the "hand" in circles though, thats for the 2.0 model. :p) The motor was a box shape you could rest your wrist and forearm on, the grip was on top of the box, the switch was alongside it, and you could tilt it up and down if you left the pivot hinge loose. I know thats the wrong term for that part, but I cant think of what its actually called.

noparlpf
2012-09-03, 06:32 PM
It was actually electrically powered. Its been awhile, but iirc, I used two telescoping bits of metal, similar to a car radio antenna, with a bike clamp brake for the gripping portions. I got the motor from my fathers car shop, he had all sizes from small to large to work with, I cant remember how I hooked up the motor to the "arms" but it worked off a switch, three settings, forward, back, and stop. While the clamp hand took a LOT of finicky work to make it sensitive enough to grip fragile items without breaking them and heavy objects without dropping them. Flip the switch forward and it would slowly extend, flip it to neutral once its in place, grip the clamp control to hold the item, then flip the switch back to reverse. It had another clamp to hold it to the arm rest of a wheelchair, and one of those pivot hinges so you could adjust it to pick things up off a higher counter or the floor. In retrospect it was a bit too complicated, but not bad for a kid who did like 90% of the work himself.

Yeah I know last post I said joystick, but I thought about it more and remembered the controls were more complicated than that. I DO remember though that if you were dexterous enough, you could operate it one handed and it almost worked like power loader arms from the Alien movie. (no spinning the "hand" in circles though, thats for the 2.0 model. :p) The motor was a box shape you could rest your wrist and forearm on, the grip was on top of the box, the switch was alongside it, and you could tilt it up and down if you left the pivot hinge loose. I know thats the wrong term for that part, but I cant think of what its actually called.

Wow, that's actually pretty complicated for a kid's project. Kudos. I would've been lazy and just done hydraulics operated by hand.

Killer Angel
2012-09-05, 05:03 AM
Be warned - you're showing your age. Only us wrinklies remember the early days of Asimov.

...and Doc Smith's Space Opera. :smallbiggrin:

Devmaar
2012-09-09, 03:18 PM
I once started a project to determine whether tea or coffee held it's heat better.

Coffee was getting better results but term ended before we got enough to be conclusive

Creed
2012-09-11, 06:57 PM
I have this terrible image in my head of a twelve year old in a lab coat being led away by the police, either for claiming to be "Doctor" Allison vons Lonsdale, who he imprisoned in his basement, or for exposing the rare, endangered, Canadian Teddius Domesticus to illegal levels of Pure Evil.
Either way, prison will not be kind to him.

In all seriousness, this fills my heart with joy.

Jonzac
2012-09-12, 03:58 PM
...and Doc Smith's Space Opera. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, the Lensmen series....I miss them.

Books where MEN were MEN and women nurses who needed saving. God I miss the 50's.

noparlpf
2012-09-12, 04:20 PM
Ah, the Lensmen series....I miss them.

Books where MEN were MEN and women nurses who needed saving. God I miss the 50's.

Reminds me of Heinlein and Burroughs.

Teddy
2012-09-12, 05:23 PM
I suddenly feel a bit threatened. What did they do to my brethren!? :smalleek::smallfrown:

Love it! :D