PDA

View Full Version : trying to find byped horse human hybred?

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 11:40 AM
trying to find byped horse human hybred something like a horse version of a minotaur. what book would that be in? thanks

zagan
2012-08-28, 11:48 AM
In the miniature handbook p61, the Equiceph. Large Monstrous humanoid with 4HD + LA 2, often lawful evil. Nothing special about them, fluff wise they're supposed to be slavers living in the forest.
Why do you need creature like that ?

asuev
2012-08-28, 11:49 AM
Anthropomorphic horse - savage species.

That would be the only thing I can think of off hand.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 11:53 AM
In the miniature handbook p61, the Equiceph. Large Monstrous humanoid with 4HD + LA 2, often lawful evil. Nothing special about them, fluff wise they're supposed to be slavers living in the forest.
Why do you need creature like that ?

trying to find a way that my 20th paladins warhorse can hang out with the party in a more appropriate manner. he is kind of badass and i want him to be a bigger part of the campaign.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-08-28, 12:00 PM
A. . . werehorse?

Bitten by a bad tempered stallion in his youth, pursued by the Watch for a crime he didn't commit, Willy Byte makes his living as a paladin's steed, if you have a problem, and no one else can help, and you can find him, maybe you can hire Willy Byte

ahenobarbi
2012-08-28, 12:00 PM
You mean centaur?

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 12:06 PM
You mean centaur?

no, i really want him to be a byped. even a centaur cant go into taverns and dungeons.

eggs
2012-08-28, 12:06 PM
That's hilarious.

You might Polymorph Any Object it into an Equinal or something.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 12:11 PM
Lesser Planar Ally can get you an Equinal (BoED 173). Then all you have to do is fluff that it's the same spirit as your paladin mount, in biped form.

If you're playing Pathfinder, your paladin can even get the planar ally line with the right archetype.

Keep in mind though that Equinals are Large, so you might still have problems at some taverns.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 12:12 PM
That's hilarious.

You might Polymorph Any Object it into an Equinal or something.

hoping to find a magic item that would let him do it

ahenobarbi
2012-08-28, 12:13 PM
no, i really want him to be a byped. even a centaur cant go into taverns and dungeons.

Your palladin should teach 'em why racism is no good and centaurs should be let in :smallwink:

By the way wouldn't you have a problem riding biped creature?

Also you can just polymorph the mount when you want it to enter somewhere.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 12:18 PM
Your palladin should teach 'em why racism is no good and centaurs should be let in :smallwink:

By the way wouldn't you have a problem riding biped creature?

Also you can just polymorph the mount when you want it to enter somewhere.

i dont have access to polymorph spell im a paladin, no wizard in group. really has to be a magic item. thanks

Psyren
2012-08-28, 12:32 PM
If you're level 20 you can afford almost any item you want. I'm sure there's an item that duplicates planar ally or PAO.

Novawurmson
2012-08-28, 01:13 PM
A Pearl of Speech (http://blackmarches.wikidot.com/pearl-of-speech) turns your mount into Mister Ed...of course.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 02:19 PM
If you're level 20 you can afford almost any item you want. I'm sure there's an item that duplicates planar ally or PAO.

what is poa????? im scouring the books now looking for a magic item

Novawurmson
2012-08-28, 02:24 PM
what is poa????? im scouring the books now looking for a magic item

Polymorph Any Object.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 02:33 PM
Polymorph Any Object.

of course thanks. the search continues

Psyren
2012-08-28, 02:49 PM
Just buy a candle of invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation); with Gate, you have access to everything suggested so far.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 02:52 PM
Just buy a candle of invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation); with Gate, you have access to everything suggested so far.

how would that let my horse turn into a humanoid horse?

Psyren
2012-08-28, 03:00 PM
how would that let my horse turn into a humanoid horse?

1) Gate in noble djinn.
2) Wish for PAO on your horse.
3) ???
4) Profit

Or just skip the middle-man, gate in an Equinal, and tell the DM it's your horse.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 03:03 PM
1) Gate in noble djinn.
2) Wish for PAO on your horse.
3) ???
4) Profit

Or just skip the middle-man, gate in an Equinal, and tell the DM it's your horse.

oh i see, my horse needs to be able to transform bacck and fourth depending on the situation. i dont think gating in a djinni is really an option five times an adventure. thanks though, good thinking outside the box.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 03:20 PM
oh i see, my horse needs to be able to transform bacck and fourth depending on the situation. i dont think gating in a djinni is really an option five times an adventure. thanks though, good thinking outside the box.

How about this then - Wish for a Skin of Proteus. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus) Smear it on your horse; now he can change form at will. He can't turn into an Equinal (outsider) but he could become the Equiceph previously mentioned (monstrous humanoid.) There you have it, bipedal horse.

IdleMuse
2012-08-28, 03:22 PM
Werehorse seems like it fits best, then? If you need it to change back and forth.

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 03:53 PM
Werehorse seems like it fits best, then? If you need it to change back and forth.

i want to keep my horse ive had him throught 19 level 2 cintinents and 3 gaming worlds. he is family.

is there a way to infect a horse with this form of lycanthropy? ill have to check that out.

satorian
2012-08-28, 04:01 PM
1) Craft a 3x day amulet (not ring, so the horse can wear it) of polymorph self. Shouldn't need PAO.

2) Or get a wizard to mindswitch your horse with one of the many good suggestions above.

3) Spell biped correctly, lest you end up with giant Bytopian foot.

4) If you want him to change back and forth, why does he have to be a half-horse in his bipedal form? Why not just a human?

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 04:18 PM
1) Craft a 3x day amulet (not ring, so the horse

4) If you want him to change back and forth, why does he have to be a half-horse in his bipedal form? Why not just a human?

because i already have a minotaur follower and thought it would be cool to keep his personality still a horse. really its just for fluff.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-28, 04:29 PM
Yea, give the horse a Pearl of Speech and Skin of the Proteus.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 04:31 PM
You could just buy a Skin of Proteus if you were worried about annoying a Noble Djinn with such a silly request :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2012-08-28, 04:55 PM
3) Spell biped correctly, lest you end up with giant Bytopian foot.

Why would it be giant? Bytopian feet should be fairly small, gnomish even.:smallbiggrin:

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 08:17 PM
Yea, give the horse a Pearl of Speech and Skin of the Proteus.

i am definitely going with Skin of Proteus, then he could become a horseman or a Pegasus in times when i need a flying mount. hell he could even become a giant sea horse for aquatic adventures. this is looking for since my Dm informed me we will be going epic perhaps as high as 30th level.

the only problem now is coming up with the cash, i have a cheap dm. right now i only have 5000 gp. so i have some saving to do unless i could sell my lands in Cormyr.

Psyren
2012-08-28, 09:02 PM
A Candle of Invocation is cheaper than the skin, so you don't have to save much.

But how are you a level 20 character with only 5000 gp? Did you bet badly on the stock market? :smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-28, 09:25 PM
You know level 20 Wealth By Level is 760,000 GP. DMG page 135. Point that out to the GM. Remind him that it describes 'value of equipment relevant to doing your primary job as an adventurer'. Total up the full price GP value of all of your gear and wealth that qualifies for that. Then hand him the difference. "The game expects me to have this much more money worth of useful equipment."

Also, you know the Candle of Invocation trick?

1. buy a candle of invocation that is lawful evil
2. burn it gate in an efreeti
3. Wish for <a magic item under 15k gp>
4. Wish for <a nonmagic item or mundane wealth under 25k gp>
5. Wish for a full, unused candle of invocation that is lawful evil
6. Repeat step 2-5

Thomasinx
2012-08-28, 09:48 PM
You know level 20 Wealth By Level is 760,000 GP. DMG page 135. Point that out to the GM. Remind him that it describes 'value of equipment relevant to doing your primary job as an adventurer'. Total up the full price GP value of all of your gear and wealth that qualifies for that. Then hand him the difference. "The game expects me to have this much more money worth of useful equipment."

Also, you know the Candle of Invocation trick?

1. buy a candle of invocation that is lawful evil
2. burn it gate in an efreeti
3. Wish for <a magic item under 15k gp>
4. Wish for <a nonmagic item or mundane wealth under 25k gp>
5. Wish for a full, unused candle of lawful evil invocation
6. Repeat step 2-5

1.) The WBL is 'suggested', not required. If the DM is doing a good job despite the players being poor, that's perfectly fine. It just means he has to tone-down encounters. That said, 5k does seem a *bit* low...

2.) Why even suggest the candle of invocation trick? No DM would ever allow it, and suggesting it is generally a good way to get the DM angry at you.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-28, 09:53 PM
I was describing it because it was already suggested.

And the actual math of the system assumes that you have access to gear like that.

Useful equipment is often the primary source of useful abilities for many classes...

"Magic items are as much a part of your character's abilities as their class features. Moreso, in fact, since apart from exotic races and the occasional obscure feat, they're the only way non-casters can gain vital abilities like flight and immunity to those instant-death effects (summary here). The game isn't balanced around characters who have only half their abilities, so if you want to run a "low magic" campaign then make sure you use only non-caster NPCs as enemies (no monsters) so that everyone is penalised equally. Because without a magic sword, a level 100 fighter will lose to a level 2 allip every time."

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4189.0

And, if he owns land in Cormyr, that means he is in Faerun, which is absurdly high magic and there is absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER that he shouldn't be decked out in magical gear at level 20...

spiderfate
2012-08-28, 10:25 PM
i have plenty of magical gear my axe is a +7 cold iron and my armor is +6. i just dont have much cash. i was kidding about my dm being cheap.

my dm would never go for that candle trick, plus as a paladin i think that against my alignment.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-28, 10:36 PM
+7 Cold Iron Axe?

Wow, sell that and get something cheaper and better! A few wondrous items of greater magic weapon or magic vestment, and you are good...

1.) Make weapons out of iron, or something that is more useful to attack with than iron (like adamantine or green steel [which I like reflavoring to just being especially good steel, for example; it has the stats for it])
2.) Generally, make weapon a +1 something something weapon rather than a +3 weapon. The only use of a +3 weapon is if you have weapon augment crystals that work better with a +3 weapon. Making extremely magical weapons is very expensive
3.) Get access to Greater Magic Weapon. Spells of under level 3 are fairly easy to put into wondrous items (see eternal wands from EbCS or MIC, or drow house insignia from RoF or DotU), and Greater Magic Weapon is a spell that can make a +1 something something weapon a +3 something something (or higher!) weapon when you need it to be so.
4.) Make the 'somethings' that you get instead of +2 or +3, something that works on lots of things in the world, or dramatically improves your combat capability. Magebane, Smoking, Holy -- all good examples.
5.) Use Weapon Crystals to improve the versatility of weapons
6.) Use the cheap priced abilities, in general
7.) When possible, use reach weapons, or weapons that are very versatile in general. Morningstars, Greatswords, Guisarmes, Falchions, things like that.

So, a cost effective weapon? Say, a +1 Magebane Green Steel Guisarme, and a wondrous item of Greater Magic Weapon (say 1/day, of caster level to make it a +3 weapon, whatever) to go with it, along with a few weapon augment crystals. Maybe something which can be attached to the weapon itself.

Cost to make?
Item similar to 12th level drow house insignia: 8200 gp
+2 equivalent green steel weapon: 9309 gp
Least Crystal of Acid Assault: 600 gp
Sudden Stunning: 2000 gp

What does that get you? A weapon that has a +1 enhancement bonus to hit and damage; counts as bane toward anything with spell like abilities that come from what are normally arcane spells, or that cast arcane spells normally, or that use invocations; that deals 1 extra point of slashing and 1 extra point of acid damage; and once a day, this thing that comes with it can be used to make any weapon you happen to touch (like this one) have a +3 enhancement to hit and damage for 12 hours, instead of +1; and it can be used, a number of times equal to the wielder's charisma bonus, to attempt to stun a successfully hit enemy... AND it is a reach weapon, and is useful for tripping, and you get strength and a half to damage, it being a two handed weapon, etc. etc. etc.

Total Price? About 2000 gp more than a plain, iron +3 weapon, with nothing special about it at all, no extra added abilities... of course, it only costs 2000 gp more because of 'sudden stunning' being added...

See what I did there?

Now take the price of a +7 Cold Iron Axe.

98,000 for up to +5 with the rest worth of misc enhancement for net +7. Actual straight +7 is 980,000 gp for just the +7. Double either of those for Cold Iron. A massively inefficient use of money; talk to a wizard who is focused in magic item creation, and barter it for half the gold value of the sword in custom magic gear, that is designed for efficiency in how it is used, to get the most bang for your buck.

And why is making a lot of Lawful Evil Efreeti upset with you -- like REALLY UPSET WITH YOU -- bad for your alignment?? Just kick their asses when they inevitably try to screw with you.

Psyren
2012-08-29, 02:20 AM
my dm would never go for that candle trick, plus as a paladin i think that against my alignment.

That's why I said call a noble djinn in my suggestion. All the benefits without the alignment problems.

And yes, I'd sell the axe to buy the Proteus (and have tons of change left over.)

Novawurmson
2012-08-29, 08:09 AM
If your DM might allow Pathfinder content, consider a magic item of Anthropomorphic Animal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/anthropomorphic-animal).

spiderfate
2012-08-29, 08:26 AM
+7 Cold Iron Axe?

Wow, sell that and get something cheaper and better! A few wondrous items of greater magic weapon or magic vestment, and you are good...

1.) Make weapons out of iron, or something that is more useful to attack with than iron (like adamantine or green steel [which I like reflavoring to just being especially good steel, for example; it has the stats for it])
2.) Generally, make weapon a +1 something something weapon rather than a +3 weapon. The only use of a +3 weapon is if you have weapon augment crystals that work better with a +3 weapon. Making extremely magical weapons is very expensive
3.) Get access to Greater Magic Weapon. Spells of under level 3 are fairly easy to put into wondrous items (see eternal wands from EbCS or MIC, or drow house insignia from RoF or DotU), and Greater Magic Weapon is a spell that can make a +1 something something weapon a +3 something something (or higher!) weapon when you need it to be so.
4.) Make the 'somethings' that you get instead of +2 or +3, something that works on lots of things in the world, or dramatically improves your combat capability. Magebane, Smoking, Holy -- all good examples.
5.) Use Weapon Crystals to improve the versatility of weapons
6.) Use the cheap priced abilities, in general
7.) When possible, use reach weapons, or weapons that are very versatile in general. Morningstars, Greatswords, Guisarmes, Falchions, things like that.

So, a cost effective weapon? Say, a +1 Magebane Green Steel Guisarme, and a wondrous item of Greater Magic Weapon (say 1/day, of caster level to make it a +3 weapon, whatever) to go with it, along with a few weapon augment crystals. Maybe something which can be attached to the weapon itself.

Cost to make?
Item similar to 12th level drow house insignia: 8200 gp
+2 equivalent green steel weapon: 9309 gp
Least Crystal of Acid Assault: 600 gp
Sudden Stunning: 2000 gp

What does that get you? A weapon that has a +1 enhancement bonus to hit and damage; counts as bane toward anything with spell like abilities that come from what are normally arcane spells, or that cast arcane spells normally, or that use invocations; that deals 1 extra point of slashing and 1 extra point of acid damage; and once a day, this thing that comes with it can be used to make any weapon you happen to touch (like this one) have a +3 enhancement to hit and damage for 12 hours, instead of +1; and it can be used, a number of times equal to the wielder's charisma bonus, to attempt to stun a successfully hit enemy... AND it is a reach weapon, and is useful for tripping, and you get strength and a half to damage, it being a two handed weapon, etc. etc. etc.

Total Price? About 2000 gp more than a plain, iron +3 weapon, with nothing special about it at all, no extra added abilities... of course, it only costs 2000 gp more because of 'sudden stunning' being added...

See what I did there?

Now take the price of a +7 Cold Iron Axe.

98,000 for up to +5 with the rest worth of misc enhancement for net +7. Actual straight +7 is 980,000 gp for just the +7. Double either of those for Cold Iron. A massively inefficient use of money; talk to a wizard who is focused in magic item creation, and barter it for half the gold value of the sword in custom magic gear, that is designed for efficiency in how it is used, to get the most bang for your buck.

And why is making a lot of Lawful Evil Efreeti upset with you -- like REALLY UPSET WITH YOU -- bad for your alignment?? Just kick their asses when they inevitably try to screw with you.

thats a good idea, i wonder why King Arthur never hocked Excalibur for smaller more economic magic items?

Psyren
2012-08-29, 08:31 AM
thats a good idea, i wonder why King Arthur never hocked Excalibur for smaller more economic magic items?

That's easy, he didn't need money to talk to his horse :smalltongue:

spiderfate
2012-08-29, 08:33 AM
If your DM might allow Pathfinder content, consider a magic item of Anthropomorphic Animal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/anthropomorphic-animal).

thats the money right there, i just email it to my dm asking if he would allow it

spiderfate
2012-08-29, 08:44 AM
That's easy, he didn't need money to talk to his horse :smalltongue:

my axe is an artifact and symbol of the church of Lathander. it has benefits that go beyond its value. in our game world their are no magic item hock shops or magic item corner stores. to sell a magic item you must first find some one who wants and can afford it then you usually on get half price.

Psyren
2012-08-29, 08:48 AM
my axe is an artifact and symbol of the church of Lathander. it has benefits that go beyond its value. in our game world their are no magic item hock shops or magic item corner stores. to sell a magic item you must first find some one who wants and can afford it then you usually on get half price.

Okay okay, it was just a suggestion.

The point is that for a level 20 character you're seriously broke. You should know a couple of ways how to do this now, so it's in your DM's court if he wants to allow any of the options given. If he's unwilling to let you just buy a solution, you could instead ask him for a quest of some kind to acquire one of these items.

2xMachina
2012-08-29, 08:53 AM
Bite your horse, and claim it's now a Were-human.

Problem solved :smallwink:

spiderfate
2012-08-29, 09:35 AM
Okay okay, it was just a suggestion.

The point is that for a level 20 character you're seriously broke. You should know a couple of ways how to do this now, so it's in your DM's court if he wants to allow any of the options given. If he's unwilling to let you just buy a solution, you could instead ask him for a quest of some kind to acquire one of these items.

that's the kind of thing my dm loves. he hates player thinking they can just run down the magic item super store and buy off the rack. thanks for your help boss.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-29, 10:47 AM
Fyi I wasn't assuming you could go buy off the rack. I was assuming you could talk to a specialist, not pay in gold, and commission a custom item from this fantastically powerful individual.

spiderfate
2012-08-30, 09:10 AM
Fyi I wasn't assuming you could go buy off the rack. I was assuming you could talk to a specialist, not pay in gold, and commission a custom item from this fantastically powerful individual.

well alright then. i am gonna go talk to Blackstaff, he owes me a favor.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-30, 09:39 AM
Yea, giving your high end gear as a barter to a powerful individual, as a barter for more efficient and useful in your situation (but easier / cheaper / less stressfull to make magically) gear, plus this item for your horse, would be useful...