PDA

View Full Version : Clockwork Empires: from the creators of Dungeons of Dredmor

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-28, 02:29 PM
So, there's no thread about this yet, and I think there needs to be one. Gaslamp Games, makers of the hilarious Dungeons of Dredmor, have announced their latest game. It's called Clockwork Empires, and it is sort of like Steampunk Lovecraftian User-Friendly Dwarf Fortress. With Zeppelins.

Read the official press release Here. (http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/08/27/clockwork-empires-the-press-release/)

As well as that, PCgamer and the Escapist have articles on the game, here (http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-a-preview-of-gaslamp-games-lovecraft-laden-steampunk-city-builder/) and here (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119307-Clockwork-Empires-Brings-Steampunk-Elder-Gods-to-Your-Colony) respectively, and it looks like it's going to be pretty awesome. It has an interesting art style, an excellent premise, and being a sandbox type game, is more focused around letting the player drive the storyline.

So, discuss. Is this awesome? Is it not awesome? Am I a heretic for assuming it could in any way not be awesome?

Cogwheel
2012-08-28, 02:34 PM
As I said to myself when I first saw this: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Then I saw "Gaslamp is like Zynga, they're only good for cloning games" on one of the sites and it made me sad. But still, exciting.

Eldan
2012-08-28, 02:35 PM
Sounds awesome. Though with that title, I'm hoping for clockpunk instead of steampunk, which the world sorely needs more of.

Sila Prirode
2012-08-28, 03:31 PM
I already bought it. Well, not really, it isn't even for preorder yet, but in my heart I bought it.

houlio
2012-08-28, 03:59 PM
This is probably the first game I've been excited to hear about in years upon simply being announced.

factotum
2012-08-29, 02:01 AM
Dwarf Fortress without eye-meltingly ugly ASCII graphics? Where do I sign? :smallsmile:

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-29, 11:36 AM
Even better, apparently, since this game is supposed to have some procedural stuff for the buildings, so you can customise the appearance of factories and things if you want to.

No word yet on how succession games will be handled, bu tthey will be possible, and there will be support for them built in.

Zen Master
2012-08-31, 01:18 PM
Then I saw "Gaslamp is like Zynga, they're only good for cloning games" on one of the sites and it made me sad. But still, exciting.

Uh .... what is Dredmor a clone of?

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-31, 02:07 PM
Roguelikes, presumably. It's not a very strong argument.

In other news, I have ben trawling Gaslamp's forums looking for more information. Seems we're looking at a tentative release date of late 2013, subject to actually getting the game finished and working properly.

lord_khaine
2012-08-31, 02:22 PM
No always-online DRM requirement, unlike certain other games we don’t want to mention. You know who you are and your mothers are very disappointed.

Rofl, gotta love a company who are not scared of taking cheap shots at the competition :smallbiggrin:

Forbiddenwar
2012-08-31, 05:45 PM
Then I saw "Gaslamp is like Zynga, they're only good for cloning games" on one of the sites and it made me sad.

The most disturbing part of that phrase is the idea that Zynga is good for anything.

Oh and TB has a lovely little speech about "cloning games" along the lines of people don't want something new. God forbid any industry being forced to create something entirely new every time they want to make a product. etc. Good game companies know how to clone. Bad companies don't.

(Although in this case I'd have to say the speaker of that text must also consider Half Life to be a junky Doom Clone.)

I was trying to find your quote to give them what for, but the closest I could find is that "GL is good at cloning games" not "only good for cloning games" a completely different meaning.

Sila Prirode
2012-09-01, 06:13 AM
Also, it's not "cloning games" if you are doing something new with it. They didn't just take some roguelike, and gave him a new graphics and called it a day, they made a really funny, engaging, and good-all-around game.
The same they will be doing with Clockwork Empires I presume, it won't be just Dwarf Fortress 2, just in same genre. It's not their fault that there are not enough games in that genre to compare to, so they get called out for cloning.

Sophistemon
2012-09-02, 02:36 PM
I find it amusing that the first person to respond to this thread goes by the name of 'Cogwheel'.

I consider that to be an omen of positive things.

Destro, you already know that I'm very excited for the game.

I can't wait to see the succession games that come upon following its release.

I hope to be involved in at least one.

Cogwheel
2012-09-02, 03:11 PM
I find it amusing that the first person to respond to this thread goes by the name of 'Cogwheel'.

I consider that to be an omen of positive things.

Destro, you already know that I'm very excited for the game.

I can't wait to see the succession games that come upon following its release.

I hope to be involved in at least one.

I'm a massive and fairly obsessive Gaslamp fan, since before Dredmor was released. So, you know.

Aidan305
2012-09-02, 03:33 PM
It's… it's like they designed a game solely for me.

I wants it, precious.

Saithis Bladewing
2012-09-05, 12:50 PM
Honestly, for years and years and years I have been bitterly rejecting any hope or enthusiasm for games coming out. This is the first time in years I can legitimately say that I saw a game in development and responded with 'shut up and take my money'. Although I dearly hope they don't disappoint me, everything described so far makes it sound like one of the most amazing games I could ever hope for.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-05, 01:10 PM
Honestly, for years and years and years I have been bitterly rejecting any hope or enthusiasm for games coming out. This is the first time in years I can legitimately say that I saw a game in development and responded with 'shut up and take my money'. Although I dearly hope they don't disappoint me, everything described so far makes it sound like one of the most amazing games I could ever hope for.

They've got a pretty good track record with Dungeons of Dredmor, so 'Shut up and take my money' was also my reaction.

Aidan305
2012-09-05, 02:07 PM
They've got a pretty good track record with Dungeons of Dredmor, so 'Shut up and take my money' was also my reaction.

I was also of that opinion. Dredmor is probably the game I've spend the most time on (other than WoW) of all the games in my possession.