PDA

View Full Version : Rules for seafaring?

Ointhedwarf
2012-08-28, 02:40 PM
Are there rules anywhere rules concerning sea-travel speed, naval skirmishes, crew requirements and the like? I can use the tables in DMG II for some of these but I'd like to avoid making too many things up ;)

Tebryn
2012-08-28, 02:42 PM
Stormwrack has them I'm pretty sure

Mordenkainen
2012-08-28, 02:47 PM
The Seafarer's Handbook by Legends & Lairs is a really good book. It has rules for building ships, naval combat, and more. It's on Amazon, I think, and cheaper than Stormrack.

Venger
2012-08-28, 03:10 PM
Stormwrack has them I'm pretty sure

stormwrack is the best. there's some ship things in the DMG and the arms and equipment guide as well

nyjastul69
2012-08-29, 04:10 PM
Salt & Seadogs: the Pirates of Tellene (http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?products_id=285) is one that I've used and enjoyed. It's a 3rd party product produced by Kenzerco for their Kingdoms of Kalamar CS. Don't let the setting specific tag worry you, the crunch is pretty solid and it's very easy to re-fluff. I especially like the idea of ship templates. Good luck finding something that suits your game.

Ointhedwarf
2012-08-29, 04:58 PM
I've perused Stormwrack in it looks great! The other two are also good and I can get a lot of ideas from them, thanks a lot!

killem2
2012-08-29, 05:55 PM
Stormrack has lots of info of course.

I recently did a sea adventure. I created my own ship, a cross between a ironclad and a normal ship. Because I found all the ships in the books just to freaking small to host a good battle on the ship.

So what I did wasn made my own ship that was 130 ft long by 40 ft wide. it had three levels. deck, living area, storage.

I used that entire session as a segway between my homebrew module and the age of worms to diamond lake. I kept the players busy with gambling games and social interactions to learn more about the place they were going. I rolled every 15 mins for random encounter and they never got one, but I did have one mandatory encounter that would put the parties diplomacy skills/bluff/sense motive skills on the line.

Around the ship (which was marked just like a battle grid and it was 3d), I put shards of old wood splinters from a previous prject I had, and scattered 15-16 humans all over the place, and told the adventurers you have have come across what appears to be survivors of a ship attack they are screaming and yelling for help. They had to convince the captain of the ship to stop to help.

Turns out, they were sea wolves. And a huge battle commenced :)