PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Druid Spell Recommendations?

aphoticConniver
2012-08-28, 03:16 PM
I'm playing a Spirit Shaman, and I'm looking for combat-oriented spells. I absolutely need one of 7th level, but any suggestions for the other levels are very welcome too.

Snowbluff
2012-08-28, 03:23 PM
Blinding Spittle is one of my personal faves. It's in the Spell Compendium.

Produce Flame is awesome. It's just good for lighting up rooms, or as a good ranged option. Low damage, but gets more uses as you level. (min/level duration, reduces remaining duration by one minute each time you throw one).

Storm Vermin
2012-08-28, 03:26 PM
Before anyone else posts it: Ta-dah! (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868802/Druid_Handbook_revived)
Although lots of spells for 7th level come from Book of Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness. Apart from that, you can't really go wrong with Summon's Nature Ally.
And yeah, Produce Flame is nice, although not that much at 13th(?) level.

aphoticConniver
2012-08-28, 03:33 PM
14th level, and with my bad memory, I forgot to mention a few... conditions. The conditions being that there's a "unusable spell list". Different dimensions and whatnot. So that's a no to any Summoning spell, any spell that creates ethereal effects, and any lightning spells.

The Redwolf
2012-08-28, 03:35 PM
Wait, no summoning? Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally is a class feature of the druid, did that get cut out from you?

aphoticConniver
2012-08-28, 03:38 PM
Wait, no summoning? Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally is a class feature of the druid, did that get cut out from you?

Well no, but for the duration we're in this alternate dimension (Dungeonland, if that rings any bells), none of it works. Also, I'm playing a 14th level Kobold Spirit Shaman. And thankfully, we'll be in our home dimension soon.

Darrin
2012-08-28, 04:32 PM
My general advice for treehuggers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12183941&postcount=4).

aphoticConniver
2012-08-28, 06:09 PM
My general advice for treehuggers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12183941&postcount=4).

You know, I was actually really considering Flesh to Salt, Mass. Thing was, I didn't know how actually effective it was, or the fact that it had no save or touch attack required. Thanks!

Darrin
2012-08-29, 06:42 AM
You know, I was actually really considering Flesh to Salt, Mass. Thing was, I didn't know how actually effective it was, or the fact that it had no save or touch attack required. Thanks!

The damage scales up slowly (1d6 per two CLs, max 10d6), so it doesn't dish out the DPS of a flamestrike, but the no-save untyped damage means whatever you roll sticks and makes it comparable to other spells that have easy Fort/Ref saves. To get the save-or-petrify effect, you have to reduce them by +50% of current HP, so it's not a first-turn encounter-ender, but late in the battle it can be devastating (particularly if you soften up your target with a bunch of blood-draining dire weasels). Mass version against a bunch of low-level mooks is just plain *nasty*.

At 15th level, firestorm takes over from flamestrike as your best blasty-spell, particularly against multiple opponents spread all over the place, but isn't so hot against energy resistance. Since fire tends to be the most popular energy type for druids, picking up Searing Spell might not be a bad idea.

Word of balance is situational, but nearly everything from the outer planes that wants to eff with you has a non-neutral alignment. Definitely worth keeping one handy on a scroll or skull talisman.

docnessuno
2012-08-29, 08:01 AM
My favorite are:
Lesser Vigor
Snake swiftness, mass
Blinding spittle
Moon bolt
Enhance Wild Shape
Owl's insight
Rejuvination coccoon
Panacea
Summon nature's ally VI (huge air elemental)
Word of balance

The Redwolf
2012-08-29, 09:40 AM
What level is Storm of Vengeance? That one's pretty neat, lightning and acid and all that raining down for a few turns.

aphoticConniver
2012-08-29, 10:15 AM
What level is Storm of Vengeance? That one's pretty neat, lightning and acid and all that raining down for a few turns.

Sadly, Storm is a 9th level spell. Also, just as a question on Fire Storm: Do the 10 ft cubes have to be contiguous?

EDIT: A 10 ft cube is equivalent to a 3d 5 ft square, correct?

The Redwolf
2012-08-29, 10:33 AM
EDIT: A 10 ft cube is equivalent to a 3d 5 ft square, correct?

Does it say 10 cubic feet or a ten foot cube? If the second then it would be ten feet on a side in all directions, if the first then it's around half a grid square in all directions.

aphoticConniver
2012-08-29, 10:38 AM
Does it say 10 cubic feet or a ten foot cube? If the second then it would be ten feet on a side in all directions, if the first then it's around half a grid square in all directions.

2 10ft cubes per level. So, essentially, I can affect almost an entire encounter with one spell?

The Redwolf
2012-08-29, 10:42 AM
2 10ft cubes per level. So, essentially, I can affect almost an entire encounter with one spell?

Yeah, pretty much. That's a lot of space.

Ketiara
2012-08-30, 01:04 AM
Murderous mist! Slowmoving but fairly big and reflex or permanently blinded.