PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Weapon Master Clarification

Zetapup
2012-08-28, 05:06 PM
Does the Psychic Weapon Master's weapon of choice have to be the same as their bonded weapon? At first, I'd think that was the case, but this line: "The psychic weapon master can form a special bond with a single melee weapon. The weapon must be the same type as her weapon of choice." implies that the bonded weapon is also a weapon of choice, but the weapon of choice doesn't have to be a bonded weapon. All the class features relating to weapons use the weapon of choice wording, instead of saying you can only use the class feature with the bonded weapon.

For example, I go into the psychic weapon master class and choose kukri as my weapon of choice. I form a special bond with one specific kukri which is made of crystal. Could I still use an iron kukri for, say, the improved critical class feature?

Most of the reason I'm asking is because I'm curious whether Psychic Weapon Master's critical range increase would work with Disciple of Dispater's critical range increase. Normally, people say they don't stack because you have to use different materials for each class' range increase. However, if my reading of this is correct, you could use an iron weapon and get around the problem entirely.

danzibr
2012-08-28, 05:35 PM
"To gain the special abilities of the psychic weapon master class, a character must use her weapon of choice. Once chosen, the weapon of choice cannot be changed. This does not mean that, if her weapon of choice is the longsword, she can use only the longsword she owned when she first became a psychic weapon master. The only material requirement for the class is a crystal version of her weapon. It means that she can use any standard crystal longsword and gain the benefits of the psychic weapon master. If she uses any other weapon, she can use none of the special abilities of the prestige class."

EDIT: I'm assuming the enhanced crit range counts as a special ability.

Another EDIT: ... Which is disappointing because I'm a big fan of of Psychic Weapon Master.

Zetapup
2012-08-28, 06:08 PM
Okay, thanks. I need to put more ranks in spot...

That's too bad, I was curious just how high a character's critical range could be :smallamused:

danzibr
2012-08-28, 07:30 PM
Yeah. I had no clue when I walked into the thread. I ended up writing a bunch of stuff down then ctrl+f'd "weapon of choice" and it led me to read the thing at the top. Bummer.

As a DM I'd allow it... some crystal-iron hybrid, but I'm also a lenient DM.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-29, 02:09 AM
Ask your DM if a crysteel weapon (ECS) would be able to apply both class features. It's crystal alloyed with steel, it'd have to work with both or neither.