View Full Version : Help me choose some decent feats for a barbarian. (No shock trooper)

Dibble
2012-08-28, 08:26 PM
Need a bit of help with my character. Have no clue what feats to take. Am playing as a Barbarian, and the DM said no to shock trooper. Ok, so he did not say "no" perse, but rather said, that he would counter it with something that deal more damage than I could dish out in turn. :P And he means it. He recently killed off a level 4 party in a 4e game, though that was mostly due to really horrible rolls.

Right now the character is a human level 6 barbarian/level 1 champion of gwyn. He is from Rashemen. (for the feats of that region, has gone through the "tests" required for one.)

Ability scores/HP et cetera are as follows.

HP 79

19 str (+1 at level 4)
16 dex (+2 from gloves of dex)
15 con
11 int
13 wis
14 cha (bonus to all saves from champ of gwyn, reason for higher cha than wis)

Skills in Jump and Intimidate.
Cross-class into Balance and Tumble

Equipment
Masterwork Greatsword
Darkwood Greatclub (random loot)
+1 Breastplate
gloves of dexterity +2 (have not gotten ogre gauntlets...)

Other things.
Twisted Charge (skill trick)
Shaky (Flaw, for extra feat)

Feats
Power Attack
Wolf Berserker
Improved Trip
Knight of Stars
Leap Attack
Righteous Wrath

Based on that can anyone give me some suggestions. Again, no shock trooper. It'd get too easily countered with my DM. Hopefully that is enough info for some suggestions. Really do not know what else to take from this point on. Had thought about Jotunbrud, but it is regional, and first level only at that. So... kinda at a loss as to what to take should the party survive.

Also a quick note that my character is literally the ONLY melee attacker in the whole party. Have a scout archer, a ranger/rogue archer, a cleric, and a sorcerer. That kinda leaves a huge role for my character to cover to be honest, but players are free to choose what they want after all.

Flickerdart
2012-08-28, 08:52 PM
Put that high Charisma to good use - invest in Intimidate and then use Imperious Command, Intimidating Rage and the Never Outnumbered skill trick to scare everyone around you when you rage.

I also enjoy Reckless Rage, which gives you even more Strength at the cost of even more AC (which nobody cares about anyway), but the Imperious Command combo is better.

eggs
2012-08-28, 09:00 PM
I'm a sucker for the Intimidate combo Flickerdart mentioned, but an alternative could be Combat Reflexes to play up the tripping, followed by Robilar's Gambit when it becomes available.

docnessuno
2012-08-28, 10:09 PM
I love Mad Foam Rager [PHB2], can really save your ass sometimes.

shortround
2012-08-28, 10:47 PM
In addition to the Intimidating Rage + Imperious Command combo, throw Instantaneous Rage (from the same book) on top and now you can cower someone even when you're flatfooted.

Getting Dodge and Mobility (or Mobility enhancement on your +1 Breastplate) into Elusive Target can be pretty funny with your Improved Trip from Wolf Totem, too.

Dibble
2012-08-29, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The imperious command chain looks rather interesting. Jump at someone and go BOO, watch them wet their trousers. But so does Elusive target, yank someone by the arm as they swing at you, and leave the wanker face down on the ground. But I'd not rely on getting magic gear with mobility. DM is pretty stingy with magic gear, and neither cleric or sorcerer are interested in crafting magic items. (afraid of the exp loss) That and items do not seem as available in 3.5, so best to stick with feats. Will have to increase cha a little to get imperious command though.