PDA

View Full Version : So how exactly would you run One Piece?

Codemus
2012-08-28, 09:16 PM
As the title, how on earth could you run a game based on One Piece? The powers and abilities displayed in the manga/anime are widely disproportionate, so you would need some system flexible enough to handle a lot of different things.

And then it seems to me like you should be able to make your own powers and abilities rather than relying on the already displayed stuff, so it should be able to handle that too.

Just about the only systems I can think of are Mutants and Masterminds (it could handle it pretty well I think) and Heroes (but there isn’t much it can’t do, and has its own problems).

So what else could you run a One Piece game on? Perhaps it just needs to be a free form, I dunno.

EDIT: Oh, and I did try to search for something like this before I made the thread, but for some reason the search feature just gives me error messages. Sorry if this is old ground already well covered.

BudgetDM
2012-08-28, 10:41 PM
There is a d20 One Piece floating around somewhere. I haven't looked at it, mostly because I would list One Piece as the setting least suited for a d20 system. I could be selling it short, but there you go.

After Mutants & Masterminds, I'd recommend Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. I'm far from an expert on it, but it far less crunchy than Mutants & Masterminds while still allowing for most anything.

Doorhandle
2012-08-29, 01:02 AM
One piece d20. (http://badkarmagames.com/projects/one-piece-d20/) There we go!

If you don't mind something very (VERY) free form, Wushu or Risus could work as they are flexible enough to allow basically any power, so long as players can justify it.

Matticussama
2012-08-29, 01:23 AM
I play in a One Piece game that uses the BESM system. It has worked wonderfully thus far, with a few GM tweaks. Mutants & Masterminds would likewise work quite well; the only reason we went for BESM over M&M is that the GM of the One Piece game was more familiar with BESM.

Prime32
2012-08-30, 04:24 PM
I'd recommend a FATE-based system (eg. Dresden Files RPG, Spirit of the Century, etc.), which would allow you to come up with new uses for your abilities on-the-fly, and allow mundanes to remain balanced with Devil Fruit users.

I play in a One Piece game that uses the BESM system. It has worked wonderfully thus far, with a few GM tweaks. Mutants & Masterminds would likewise work quite well; the only reason we went for BESM over M&M is that the GM of the One Piece game was more familiar with BESM.M&M always works better than BESM. :smalltongue:

Doorhandle
2012-08-31, 02:59 AM
I would still plug one-piece d20 even if you don't use it, because it has a very good overview on the lore of the series.

Codemus
2012-09-01, 08:02 PM
I would still plug one-piece d20 even if you don't use it, because it has a very good overview on the lore of the series.

Bonus points for being free. :smallsmile:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got some stuff new stuff to look over.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-01, 08:18 PM
Anima Beyond Fantasy (ab)using the Ki dominion subsystem almost entirely .