PDA

View Full Version : Build Questions

TopCheese
2012-08-28, 09:40 PM
Dragonborn Goliath: Rogue (FBF) 2/ Fighter 2/ ? / Warblade 1 (so far)

He was originally LG but turned LE after the incident...

Originally was just a Goliath that wanted to become more like an Earth Elemental. He allowed himself to go through a ritual that would turn him into an Earth Elemental... However he was tricked and he became a Dragonborn... He was not please... Turned to an Elder Evil who promised to change him back for his service and of course more power (free feats). Heart (Acid).

What I want to do is make a character based around the CW Feat: Damage Reduction. I know this won't be the best use of a character but it fits the concept. The character is pushing his body to become an Earth Elemental.

If I use 25pt buy or more the starting Con will be (17 + 4): 21
Str 16, Dex 08, Con 21, Int 12, Wis 08, Cha 08 (+1 to con at level 4)

I'll take 3 Flaws to gain 3 Feats of Damage Reduction + 1st level feat: DR 12/-

3rd level: DR 15/-
6th level: DR 18/-

I'll be taking 2 levels of Rogue (Fighter Bonus Feat) to gain 2 Fighter feats. Then 2 levels of Fighter for two more Fighter Bonus Feats. I'll use these 4 as feats to give my PC some stuff to use.

1: The ACF Rogue give Fighter bonus feats (as fighter) so that means at first and second level the Rogue gains a fighter bonus feat ... Correct?

2: I'm looking to get Blanket Immunity to mind effecting spells and such through the evil feats. I may drop one DR feat to help get Deformity Madness. Is there any other feats that give immunity to certain spell types or what not? I'll have Evasion but ... Not a good ref save.

3: I get 4 Fighter bonus Feats. I'm thinking of taking.. Power Attack, Imp Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, and Dungeon Crasher (Fighter 2). Eventually I'll take Knock Down.

4: What class should I take to round out my Initiator Level?

5: What are some good magic items that grant feats or other useful abilities? I know I want a Belt of Healing and the armbands that stop AoO but not sure what else...

So when I hit level 6 I will have around DR 18/- . immunity to mind effecting spells/effects, and a crap ton of HP.

My tactics will be to do some damage over a long amount of time. I won't try to get my AC to high since I can just focus my money on other places. I'll pick up a two handed weapon, perhaps reach and eventually combat reflexes and stand still (I will focus on one so I won't need multiple AoO).

I have more but I need to sleep

Thanks in advance playground!

gorfnab
2012-08-28, 09:56 PM
2 Levels of Barbarian with the following ACFs:
Whirling Frenzy (UA) or Goliath Racial Sub (RoS) - one or the other not both since they both replace normal rage
Spirit Lion Totem (CC) - replaces fast movement
City Brawler (Drg#349) - replaces barbarian armor/weapon proficiencies
Wolf Totem (UA) - replaces uncanny dodge

TopCheese
2012-08-29, 07:06 AM
I know this will sound... Odd...

For this character I'm not a fan of rage, other rages, or whirling frenzy. Sure I could refluff them and all but I just don't care that much for them. The rogue (fighter) and fighter leevels make sense but him going into a berserk or whirling state doesn't really fit him.

Plus he is Lawful which I think a Barbarian can't be. I will be looking into an ACF to replace rage if I decide to go NE and Barbarian.

What does city brawler do?

Pounce would be nice but Ill have manuevers that will help me be what I want to be. I'm not looking for a lot of attacks... More of the slow n steady type.

Gwendol
2012-08-29, 08:52 AM
He's a bit weak for a bull rusher/dungeoncrasher. I'd try and get his STR up to at least 18. That gives him a STR mod of 4+4 (from powerful build). Also, you will want Knockback with that string of feats. Really.

TopCheese
2012-08-29, 11:29 AM
He's a bit weak for a bull rusher/dungeoncrasher. I'd try and get his STR up to at least 18. That gives him a STR mod of 4+4 (from powerful build). Also, you will want Knockback with that string of feats. Really.

Well so far I have 3 + 4 (PB) + 4 (Imp Bull Rush): +11 which isn't that bad. Since I won't have to worry about armor I can focus that money into items that enhance my strength.

Bull rushing really won't be that focal to my attacks just an option. I may take a level of Swordsage to get the setting sun manuevers which will help my "tripping" (throwing).

skycycle blues
2012-08-29, 12:21 PM
You should be aware of that fact that you can't be an Evil Dragonborn unless your DM ignores some of the rules about Dragonborn(A sidebar on pg 15 of Races Of The Dragon). If you commit evil actions, Bahamut tears the template out of you, which is a process that lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Hit Dice, dealing 2d6 damage per round. So depending on how much HP you have, this might kill you dead.

There's always the possibility that your DM won't care about this, but it's good to know since s/he has a legitimate reason to veto your build. Of course if your game has already started and your DM hasn't made Bahamut kill you yet, you should be fine. Or s/he might be waiting to spring it on you.

Keld Denar
2012-08-29, 12:47 PM
Dragonborn also removes Powerful Build, 80% of the reason to be a Goliath. To quote a certain nameless Admiral "ITS A TRAP!"

Gwendol
2012-08-29, 12:58 PM
Well so far I have 3 + 4 (PB) + 4 (Imp Bull Rush): +11 which isn't that bad. Since I won't have to worry about armor I can focus that money into items that enhance my strength.

Bull rushing really won't be that focal to my attacks just an option. I may take a level of Swordsage to get the setting sun manuevers which will help my "tripping" (throwing).

I get the feeling you haven't considered the consequence of a goliath dungeoncrasher with IBR and knock back. Also, 11 to the check isn't that impressive unless you will continue to fight medium or smaller creatures all your career?

skycycle blues
2012-08-29, 01:51 PM
Dragonborn also removes Powerful Build, 80% of the reason to be a Goliath. To quote a certain nameless Admiral "ITS A TRAP!"

This is not accurate. RotD explicitly mentions Powerful Build as being retained if you had it as a racial trait before hand.

TopCheese
2012-08-29, 02:33 PM
Not sure if there is a Tiamat version of dragon born but Ill refluff the template.

My DM loves refluff/good and interesting background. I'm good :)

About Bull Rush: Medium Op game and I'm not focusing my build around this. Yes I'm aware there are better things out there but this character isn't about this. Slow n steady damage from Warblade manuevers. +11 is good enough for me since I'm not that worried about bull rush. I may even get rid of this line and go with knock down and sadly take 2 levels of barbarian. Ill update my OP later.

Even if Bahamut cut out the template, with DR 15/- at level 6, that damage won't hurt. Unless it bypasses DR/- .

There are a few other things you guys got me thinking about. Might even just go with mongrekfolk without the dragonborn. (+4 con rocks).

gorfnab
2012-08-29, 05:46 PM
What does city brawler do?

Improved Unarmed Strike + Two Weapon Fighting when using Unarmed Strike at the cost of medium armor, shields, and martial weapon proficiencies.

Keld Denar
2012-08-29, 07:01 PM
This is not accurate. RotD explicitly mentions Powerful Build as being retained if you had it as a racial trait before hand.

Oopsee, I just reread it, and you are correct. I dunno why I thought that...

TuggyNE
2012-08-29, 08:00 PM
Even if Bahamut cut out the template, with DR 15/- at level 6, that damage won't hurt. Unless it bypasses DR/- .

Why would it not bypass DR? It's (presumably non-physical) damage from a superhuman source.

Zetapup
2012-08-29, 09:53 PM
Isn't the Damage Reduction feat from Complete Warrior epic? Epic feats require you to be 21st level or higher, or use kobold shenanigans. :smallconfused:

There are still non-epic feats that give you stacking damage reduction, for example Roll With It from Savage Species (although that's 3.0 and so you'd have to discuss that with your dm), but they tend to be slightly weaker than the Damage Reduction feat.

TopCheese
2012-08-29, 09:59 PM
Isn't the Damage Reduction feat from Complete Warrior epic? Epic feats require you to be 21st level or higher, or use kobold shenanigans. :smallconfused:

There are still non-epic feats that give you stacking damage reduction, for example Roll With It from Savage Species (although that's 3.0 and so you'd have to discuss that with your dm), but they tend to be slightly weaker than the Damage Reduction feat.

I was getting the feat through a website that is a feat database and it didn't have the [epic] tag. Is it an epic feat? Other feats that were epic had the [epic] tag.

Zetapup
2012-08-29, 10:21 PM
I don't have a physical copy (I'm also using a web version of Complete Warrior :smallsmile: ), but the web copy I'm looking at says it's epic. Personally, I'd allow it as a DM because DR 3/-, even if it stacks, isn't game-breaking. Hopefully someone who has a physical copy of the book can clarify this for us.

TopCheese
2012-08-30, 10:52 AM
I don't have a physical copy (I'm also using a web version of Complete Warrior :smallsmile: ), but the web copy I'm looking at says it's epic. Personally, I'd allow it as a DM because DR 3/-, even if it stacks, isn't game-breaking. Hopefully someone who has a physical copy of the book can clarify this for us.

DR 3/- seems like horrible feat... For an epic level feat that is...

One of the reasons I didn't question its lack of an epic tag.

Well.... Burn the thread, even though everything else was good.. Epic feats won't be allowed -_- and here I thought there was an actual feat that would be *awesoooome*

Zetapup
2012-08-30, 11:22 AM
Sorry if that ruins your build :smallfrown: . There's still the Roll With It feat, which is 3.0 but wasn't updated. Greater Resiliency from Complete Warrior increases your dr by 1, but I don't think it can be taken multiple times.

If you want a build with stuff like damage reduction, you could always go Crusader with Stone Power. Someone hits you, it goes to your delayed damage pool. You activate Stone Power and take a penalty to your attacks and get some temporary hp. At the end of your turn, the delayed damage hits the temporary hp (Which would go away in a turn anyway). Add in stuff like martial stance and the therapeutic mantle from Magic of Incarnum, and you can have the equivalent of a high dr character. However, you'll probably want to find some way to boost attacks if you want to hit at all with stone power.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-30, 11:43 AM
If your character goal is to become an Earth Elemental, why not try to get the Mineral Warrior template? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) Quite powerful and comes with an in-build DR 8/ Adamantine which at low levels is quite significant, not to mention tasty tasty +2 Str, +4 con -2 Int/cha/Wis.

TopCheese
2012-08-30, 05:24 PM
I forgot about the mineral warrior template.

I may be able to make this character with this.. Though not a Goliath

Perhaps a Feral-Kind Cyclops Mineral Warrior

Or to have some good background... Make an Air Goblin become a Mineral Warrior. I wonder if that is legal...