PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Adding to a class spell list?

Douglas
2012-08-28, 10:10 PM
What ways are there to get spells known for a Sorcerer from other class spell lists? Divine spells, specifically, and not dependent on race. I just found a way to boost save DCs absurdly high, but it requires a specific race and Sorcerer, and some of the best spells it could apply to aren't on the sor/wiz list.:smallfrown:

This is for Pathfinder only, no 3.5 material allowed.

The Redwolf
2012-08-28, 10:15 PM
There's probably an archetype or bloodline that lets you get Cleric domains, have you checked those?

grarrrg
2012-08-28, 10:30 PM
What ways are there to get spells known for a Sorcerer from other class spell lists? Divine spells, specifically, and not dependent on race. I just found a way to boost save DCs absurdly high, but it requires a specific race and Sorcerer, and some of the best spells it could apply to aren't on the sor/wiz list.:smallfrown:

This is for Pathfinder only, no 3.5 material allowed.

Telling us what race you are may help, along with just what your DC boosting trick is.
It will let us know what we have to work with. It might even be something specific to your race.

As far as Pure Sorcerer? Not much.
Bloodlines sometimes have off-list spells as Bloodline spells, but this probably won't help you much.

Prestige Classes is where the action is:
Pathfinder Savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/pathfinder-savant) is probably the best choice. You lose 1 level of casting (BOO! HISS!), but every level after 1st lets you add ANY spell to your Spell List, at +1 level. So if (for some reason) you added 'Cure Light Wounds' to the Sorc list, it would be a 2nd level spell.
You can get up to 6 off-list spells this way (it's only a 7 level PrC).

Daivrat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/daivrat) is your next best choice. Starting at 2nd level you gain access to ANY spell of your choice, chosen fresh each day. If it is on your list (but not your Known obviously), then it is treated as +1 level. If it is NOT on your list, it is treated as +2 levels (ouch). There are also limits on what level of spell you can gain.

Lastly, but not leastly, we have Agent of the Grave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/agent-of-the-grave), if you are into Necromancy, then this is even better than Pathfinder Savant. If not, then it will probably be worthless to you. At 5th level, you can add a number of Necromany-school spells to your list equal to your INT mod. There is NO effective level increase.

Douglas
2012-08-28, 10:58 PM
It's for a competition, and I know at least one other person in it is a member here, so I'm a bit leery about revealing details right now. Here's what I think I can reveal without giving too much away: it's race specific (from an obscure race with very little special material), class specific, school specific, a portion of it comes from a bloodline, and diverting more than 3 levels from Sorcerer would start losing some of it. Basically I have feats, traits, magic items, and 3 class levels to work with in order to acquire spells.

Boo hiss on the lost caster level, certainly, but I might just have to take it for this. The sor/wiz list just doesn't seem to have any really excellent low level spells that fit, at least not compared to a few that other classes have (I have one cleric spell in particular in mind, and unfortunately it's not on any domain list).

It's not necromancy, and having to spend 5 levels on it would be a hard choice anyway.

Are there any other possibilities that either won't cost a caster level or won't have the spell level increase? Pathfinder Savant is looking reasonably good, but there's significant potential for possible improvement.

grarrrg
2012-08-28, 11:05 PM
Are there any other possibilities that either won't cost a caster level or won't have the spell level increase? Pathfinder Savant is looking reasonably good, but there's significant potential for possible improvement.

Not 1st party. 3rd party probably has something...

The few things I didn't bring up were because they don't fit your requirements.
Samsaran (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-samsaran) (race) has an alternate feature that can add any same type (Arcane/Divine) spells to your list, equal to 1+[main casting score]. If this happens to be your Mystery Race then BONUS! If not, oh well. Then again, most spells you are looking at are probably Divine only.

Unsanctioned Knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/unsanctioned-knowledge) lets a Paladin add spells, but only Cleric/Bard/Inquisitor/Oracle spells, and only to the Paladin's list.

That's about it.

Douglas
2012-08-28, 11:24 PM
I don't think anything 3rd party is on the allowed list for this, so that's a no go.

Yeah, neither Samsaran nor Unsanctioned Knowledge can match the build.

The vast majority of 1st party is allowed, though, so I have this faint hope of some ridiculously obscure thing doing it. I'll probably just have to accept Pathfinder Savant, though. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Oh, and to give an idea of how powerful this is, my save DCs for these spells will be 27 plus spell level. At character level 11.