PDA

View Full Version : Sanctified spells - healing "sacrifice"

ahenobarbi
2012-08-29, 05:19 AM
TL; DR / Question: What are efficient ways to heal ability damage for cleric about level 7?

Context:
I'm playing a cleric (currently level 7) and I'd like to start using sanctified spells (just Luminous Armor for now). I was wondering how should I handle ability damage.

Even with extends and CL pumping I'll have to cast the spell twice a day. So I'll have 2d2 str damage a day to heal. 1 point heals naturally (I can't give long-time care to myself and no other character can make DC 15 heal check reliably I think).

But how should I heal remaining 1-3 str damage? I could cast lesser restoration(s) but that seems a bit wasteful (because of radomness I'd have to prepare 3 of them to be sure I'm at full str).

Fable Wright
2012-08-29, 05:45 AM
Rod of Bodily Restoration can get the healing done consistently each day, and can also be used for healing other stat damage for other characters. It's in the MiC, I believe, and it's 3000gp IIRC. (Though, just preparing 2 Lesser Restorations would only have you suffering 1 point of Strength damage every 64 days or so, which isn't really something to be worried about.)

Analytica
2012-08-29, 05:46 AM
Note also the interesting clause, hidden away, that says any good cleric can cast Sanctified spells spontaneously, just like cure spells.

ahenobarbi
2012-08-29, 06:08 AM
Rod of Bodily Restoration can get the healing done consistently each day, and can also be used for healing other stat damage for other characters. It's in the MiC, I believe, and it's 3000gp IIRC.

Thanks, that's the item I need :smallbiggrin:

(Though, just preparing 2 Lesser Restorations would only have you suffering 1 point of Strength damage every 64 days or so, which isn't really something to be worried about.)

Good point, I'll use restorations till I can get the rod (currently the party is away from Magic Mart (tm)).

Note also the interesting clause, hidden away, that says any good cleric can cast Sanctified spells spontaneously, just like cure spells.

Yes, I know :smallsmile:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-29, 02:49 PM
You could cheap out a little if you buy an eternal wand of lesser restoration as cast by a paladin for 1200gp

Slipperychicken
2012-08-29, 03:31 PM
For Heal checks, you only need a +5 to Take 10. See if anyone else has 16 Wisdom (or +3 to Heal checks). If they do, then they can grab a Healing Kit (+2) and be fine. If no one has a Heal modifier, Aid Another can get the check high enough to Take 10.

If you don't need Strength, the damage isn't such a big deal and you can rely on natural healing and the occasional Restoration to fix you up.

Do you really need Luminous Armor on 24 hours every day? 15 hours is pretty much enough, considering sleep (8h) and spell-prep time (1h) add up to 9 hours.

ahenobarbi
2012-08-29, 03:48 PM
You could cheap out a little if you buy an eternal wand of lesser restoration as cast by a paladin for 1200gp

Ah... good for negotiations (I need to get all non-core stuff approved) "I want permanent item to heal my ability damage for 1200gp... to cheap? How about 3100gp?" :smallamused:

Thanks.

For Heal checks, you only need a +5 to Take 10. See if anyone else has 16 Wisdom (or +3 to Heal checks). If they do, then they can grab a Healing Kit (+2) and be fine. If no one has a Heal modifier, Aid Another can get the check high enough to Take 10.

I'll check with group if I can make that work (guys may have IC issues with that).

If you don't need Strength, the damage isn't such a big deal and you can rely on natural healing and the occasional Restoration to fix you up.

I need STR as I go into melee quite a bit.

Do you really need Luminous Armor on 24 hours every day? 15 hours is pretty much enough, considering sleep (8h) and spell-prep time (1h) add up to 9 hours.

DM likes to attack us in sleep (but ignores "spells cast 8h before preparation count for day's limit") so I'd rather have it 24/10 (we play in Faerun so it's tenday for characters).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-29, 03:51 PM

Eternal Wands can only hold arcane spells, and can only be used by arcane casters.

ahenobarbi
2012-08-29, 03:56 PM
Eternal Wands can only hold arcane spells, and can only be used by arcane casters.

Alternate spell source to make eternal wand of the spell. And my character can cast arcane spells (DM rulled spells cast via Anyspell are arcane) :smallbiggrin:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-29, 04:17 PM

Forgot about that restriction. Probably because we house-ruled it away.