PDA

View Full Version : Making a Drow/Fighter

noellesam
2012-08-29, 10:43 AM
My DM just said he wants to finish our campaign and start a new one pretty soon. He really likes to level up fast, give out lots of XP and treasure, and hand out special abilities. I figured this would be a good chance to try out being a drow and multiclassing.

I always play as a magic based character, and this time I want to be a fighter. However I don't want to be the standard Fighter class. I have looked into warblade and swordsage classes and those seem interesting but I am not sure how well they will fit into my race.

What do y'all suggest? Go crazy.

Diarmuid
2012-08-29, 10:51 AM
Why not decide what kind of character you want, and then figure out what crunch/fluff combos best fit with your vision?

There's no specific classes that "fit" better with Drow than with other races specifically. especially ToB classes as they didnt exist until fairly recently.

So what kind of "fighter" are you looking to build?

Postmodernist
2012-08-29, 11:02 AM
What materials are allowed? "Fighters" are a pretty broad group when read as "melee combatants." Further, they benefit greatly from the assorted splatbooks available. Knowing what's allowed by your campaign will help with the suggestions.

ericgrau
2012-08-29, 01:57 PM
A combat cleric helps get around the healing drawbacks, though relying mostly on between battle healing works too.

Or if not a cleric then I'd just make any normal fighter you want but with less need to worry about saves. Especially fort/will since these tend to be SR: yes. And you get a +2 bonus vs. will spells.

Like any elf hp is going to be a big issue so improved toughness or such helps. Your attack bonus is also behind from the LA and lack of melee abilities. Or if you go archer, damage tends to be low until high levels. You might exploit the int, dex and cha with a tripping combat reflexes reach weapon extra smiting (complete warrior) paladin. Then your cha helps your smiting attack bonus while your int/dex reduces some of the reach tripper MAD. Try a guisarme or spiked chain. Plus you get lay on hands self healing. That's a bit feat intensive though. Starting out with 2 fighter levels may help and also allows for a more gradual transition away from evil in your backstory.

Postmodernist
2012-08-30, 06:13 PM
If you are going to play an elf and are considering a ToB class, you could do far worse than Warblade into Eternal Blade. You can focus on whatever maneuvers you deem appropriate, although Diamond Mind and Shadow Hand are both pretty drow-y in character.