PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Stone Curse for a Rock Hard Oracle

Gorfnod
2012-08-29, 12:19 PM
2nd draft is up and is ready for full review. Please provide feedback on balance, fluff, and just whether or not you like it.
I have spoilered some of my thoughts so feel free to tear it apart.

Stone Scarred Curse

A stone scarred oracle may only cast oracle spells reliably while in direct contact with the earth or a large piece of worked stone. Clothing or armor does not hinder this connection but any time the oracle does not have direct connection to the earth, he must make a concentration check equal to 15 + double spell level in order to cast the spell. The oracle’s deep connection with stone provides him with the Stonecunning racial ability of dwarves. If the oracle already has the Stonecunning ability, he receives the Improved Stonecunning feat instead.

The idea basically started with what I thought would be a "good" negative aspect of a curse. The Stone oracle must maintain contact with the earth/stone to cast spells. I quickly realized that although a "typical" dungeon crawl would provide no problem for this, the more "modern" approach to D&D that places a lot of emphasis on flying, planar travel, seafaring expeditions, etc, would completely shut this guy down. In that vein I decided that a concentration check could potentially be a balancing factor in these situations.

Stonecunning seemed like the perfect choice for a 1st level bonus.

At 5th level, the stone scarred oracle can skillfully negotiate rocky terrain and passages. He can ignore difficult terrain created by rubble, broken ground, or steep stairs made of stone and can move through narrow passages of stone that require squeezing at his normal movement rate and without penalty. Areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect him.

If you are going to be stuck to the ground, you might as well be able to maneuver effectively. I felt that these were some flavorful choices for the character that didn't push the level 5 balance in any significant way.

At 10th level, he gains tremorsense out to a range of 30 feet.

Tremorsense at level 10 is a bit good but I did find some precedence for this, the Deep Earth sorc gets it at level 9, and tremorsense just feels like something that this curse needed.

At 15th level, the stone scarred oracle gains immunity to petrification and receives a +4 bonus on saving throws or to CMD to resist any attempt to push, pull, bull rush, or drag her, or to resist any other effect that would physically move her from her position (e.g., repel wood, reverse gravity, or being blown away by high winds). This does not protect her against being tripped, grappled, or overrun.

This is where I may have pushed the balance over the edge. I am never any good at judging my own work so I'm not really sure. Immunity to petrification is really just a flavor choice to me as it doesn't come up all that often and at level 15, you should be able to deal with it anyways. I feel that the rest of the bonuses fit well with the class but maybe should be knocked down to a +2.

Special: Direct contact with the earth can only be maintained in any natural outdoor or underground environments areas where the character has physical contact with the earth. It can also be maintained in large indoor areas that are primarily made of stone (castles, temples, etc.). Direct contact with the earth can only occur on the Material Plane, the Shadow Plane (when overlapping the material plane), and the Elemental Plane of Earth. It is the discretion of the DM on what other planes it may work.

I only included the special portion so that people didn't think that they could keep a rock in their pocket to negate the penalty, although TBH I have envisioned an oracle flying through the air on a massive boulder hurling less massive, but equally impressive boulders. I still feel that this is too wordy and if anyone and think of a better way to say this while still covering all the bases I would be grateful.

Thanks again for any input, and I look forward to what you guys have to say.

SamBurke
2012-08-29, 12:26 PM
I like it a lot... reminds me of that one wrestler that Theseus fought, before the Minotaur... very nice, my friend.

Gorfnod
2012-08-29, 02:11 PM
I like it a lot... reminds me of that one wrestler that Theseus fought, before the Minotaur... very nice, my friend.

Thank you for the kind words. I faintly remember a greek myth of someone being lifted off of the ground, losing their strength and being crushed to death. Could this be the wrestler you are mentioning?

Gorfnod
2012-08-30, 01:47 PM
Second draft is up and I have fleshed the curse out. Please provide any thoughts you have but as always I am really looking to see what you guys think about balance and flavor.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-08-30, 02:16 PM
I would supply a specific weight or size of stone that the Oracle can use to cast, just in case the party wants to set one up on their airship or something. A Small-sized boulder weighing at least 100 pounds, or a Medium-sized coffin or crate filled with 100 pounds of dirt would likely be sufficiently unwieldy but still workable in travel. Basically something the party can throw into a cart or haul long distances.

At the very least this cuts the oracle's carrying capacity as a penalty. There's also the prohibition that he has to stand on it, which would probably require a full-round action to unload if it's slung over his back. You could also specify that if he carries a big rock around and it breaks he can only cast if the largest piece still weighs at least 100 pounds.

Does sand count as earth? What about mud? Is there any issue with worked stone?

Wyntonian
2012-08-30, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I faintly remember a greek myth of someone being lifted off of the ground, losing their strength and being crushed to death. Could this be the wrestler you are mentioning?

That's the one.

Also, the 15th level ability is totally fine. You're perfectly balanced. Seriously, if other people get to tell gravity to GTFO, you can at least be a little better at not getting pushed around.

LordErebus12
2012-08-30, 03:51 PM
The idea basically started with what I thought would be a "good" negative aspect of a curse. The Stone oracle must maintain contact with the earth/stone to cast spells. I quickly realized that although a "typical" dungeon crawl would provide no problem for this, the more "modern" approach to D&D that places a lot of emphasis on flying, planar travel, seafaring expeditions, etc, would completely shut this guy down. In that vein I decided that a concentration check could potentially be a balancing factor in these situations.

Perhaps another Witch curse could be waterbound, the person must remain within 1 mile of the coast of a large body of water of lose the ability to cast spells. If within the water you gain freedom of movement, a swim speed, a bonus to swim checks, water breathing or at least hold breath (Con modifier x6), and maybe tremorsense at a late level.

Gorfnod
2012-08-30, 04:07 PM
I would supply a specific weight or size of stone that the Oracle can use to cast, just in case the party wants to set one up on their airship or something. A Small-sized boulder weighing at least 100 pounds, or a Medium-sized coffin or crate filled with 100 pounds of dirt would likely be sufficiently unwieldy but still workable in travel. Basically something the party can throw into a cart or haul long distances.

At the very least this cuts the oracle's carrying capacity as a penalty. There's also the prohibition that he has to stand on it, which would probably require a full-round action to unload if it's slung over his back. You could also specify that if he carries a big rock around and it breaks he can only cast if the largest piece still weighs at least 100 pounds.

The intent was that an oracle wouldn't be able to just carry a stone, even a large one, to overcome the curse. Since he can still cast even without the stone, albeit with a concentration check, I think that this isn't really needed. In the case of an airship where you can start to imagine entire fortifications of stone, I would say that it is possible because the special section says that contact can also be maintained in large indoor areas that are primarily made of stone. I'm not really sure what the weight required would be but it would be significant.

Does sand count as earth? What about mud? Is there any issue with worked stone?

I didn't want to list all possible terrain options in the special section but my rule of thumb would be that in any natural environment that you can maintain solid footing, you can maintain your direct connection with the earth. Sand, dirt, and stone would be fine. Water is right out. Mud and marshes are a hazy area but I would base it on how deep they are. If you can actually walk through them then I say ok. On that note, the bottom of the ocean would actually be ok as long as you can walk on it.

Also, the 15th level ability is totally fine. You're perfectly balanced. Seriously, if other people get to tell gravity to GTFO, you can at least be a little better at not getting pushed around.

Thanks for the confirmation. Like I said, I can never really tell where my stuff lies balance-wise. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Gorfnod
2012-08-30, 04:33 PM
Perhaps another Oracle curse could be waterbound, the person must remain within 1 mile of the coast of a large body of water of lose the ability to cast spells. If within the water you gain freedom of movement, a swim speed, a bonus to swim checks, water breathing or at least hold breath (Con modifier x6), and maybe tremorsense at a late level.

Fixed that for you and I think its a great idea.

On that note, let me present, in conjunction with LordErebus12,

Waterbound Curse

A waterbound oracle may only cast oracle spells reliably while submerged in water or within 1 mile of a large body of water. Any time the oracle does not have this connection to the water, he must make a concentration check equal to 15 + double spell level in order to cast the spell. The oracle’s deep connection with the waves provides him with a swim speed equal to his base land speed.

At 5th level, the wavebound oracle gains the aquatic subtype and the amphibious special quality, giving him the ability to breathe on both land and in water.

At 10th level, the wavebound oracle is permanently under the effects of Freedom of Movement but only for the purposes to move and attack normally while underwater.

At 15th level, the wavebound oracle can sense vibrations in water, granting them tremorsense 30 feet against creatures in contact with the same body of water.

LordErebus12
2012-08-30, 11:17 PM
Fixed that for you and I think its a great idea.

On that note, let me present, in conjunction with LordErebus12,

Waterbound Curse
Requirement: Waves Mystery

A waterbound oracle may only cast oracle spells reliably while submerged in water or within 1 mile of a large body of water. Any time the oracle does not have this connection to the water, he must make a concentration check equal to 15 + double spell level in order to cast the spell. The oracle’s deep connection with the waves provides him with a swim speed equal to his base land speed.

At 5th level, the wavebound oracle gains the aquatic subtype and the amphibious special quality, giving him the ability to breathe on both land and in water.

At 10th level, the wavebound oracle is permanently under the effects of Freedom of Movement but only for the purposes to move and attack normally while underwater.

At 15th level, the wavebound oracle can sense vibrations in water, granting them tremorsense 30 feet against creatures in contact with the same body of water.

pretty much like any other progression that ive seen before for water. works perfectly, except the need to take the water mystery... none of the other curses require anything like that at all. also, it fits as a build to take the water mystery, just dont make it a requirement. id hate it to be so bland and exclusive...

Gorfnod
2012-08-31, 08:58 AM
pretty much like any other progression that ive seen before for water. works perfectly, except the need to take the water mystery... none of the other curses require anything like that at all. also, it fits as a build to take the water mystery, just dont make it a requirement. id hate it to be so bland and exclusive...

I've removed the requirement for the Waves mystery and also removed the requirement for the Stone mystery from my original curse. It makes sense that oracles of these mysteries would take them anyways but if someone else wants to then why not.

My last concern is with the concentration check. I used the check required to cast defensively as the check that you must make to cast when not in contact with the earth but was wondering if you guys think that this is too easy or too difficult.