PDA

View Full Version : What is this weapon ability worth? - PF Psi

Maquise
2012-08-29, 03:42 PM
I came up with an idea for a weapon enhancement for psionic classes, but am unsure how much it should cost.

Psychoresonant:

When in the hands of a wielder who is psionically focused, this weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of damage of the energy type the wielder is focused to. In addition to the normal extra damage, the wielder may choose to expend his psionic focus as a free action to deal an further 1d10 of energy damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add 2d10 points of extra damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add 3d10 points of extra damage.

Yitzi
2012-08-29, 04:04 PM
Looks to me like around a +1 equivalent. Maybe +2 for the ability to change energy types.

Siosilvar
2012-08-29, 04:46 PM
The MIC gives 1d6 energy damage of your choice, excluding sonic and including acid, at a +2 bonus with the Energy Aura ability. I'd say that this isn't any stronger than that, since 1d10 damage on a crit isn't exciting and it loses you the normal energy damage.

TuggyNE
2012-08-29, 05:17 PM
I came up with an idea for a weapon enhancement for psionic classes, but am unsure how much it should cost.

Psychoresonant:

When in the hands of a wielder who is psionically focused, this weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of damage of the energy type the wielder is focused to. On a critical hit, the wielder may choose to expend his psionic focus as a free action to deal an extra 1d10 of energy damage.

What do you mean by "damage of the energy type the wielder is focused to"? (I'm not familiar with any quirks of DSP's Psionics system.)

Also, I'd recommend making the critical damage wording more robust, something like this: "In addition to the normal extra damage, the wielder may choose to expend his psionic focus as a free action to deal an further 1d10 of energy damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add 2d10 points of extra damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add 3d10 points of extra damage."

Assuming you go with that modification, it would probably be a nice +2 ability: slightly stronger than a regular energy burst, but requiring psionic focus, which limits it a good bit. Otherwise it's probably in the grey area between +1 and +2.

Maquise
2012-08-29, 05:47 PM
Whenever a psionic character gains psionic focus, they choose between Fire, Cold, Electricity and Sonic energy. This determines the energy type of relevant powers, amongst other things.