PDA

View Full Version : [pf] purely for fun

pebcak_error
2012-08-29, 03:59 PM
I don't have a ton of experience with Pathfinder yet. I'm on my first character. He's a 4th level Ranger (PFS legal). He's quite fun to play, but its beginning to feel like its the same tactics over and over again every scenario.

I'm looking for ideas on potions or equipment or tactics that would just be fun to do.

Recently we had a situation where one of the other players had gone down a 30ft hole and got over run by giant rats. Normally I would have tried to be careful going down to get good position on the bottom. Till I realized falling was non lethal damage and even if I failed the acrobatics roll I could take max damage and still be standing when I hit the bottom. So I said screw it and jumped. Took out one of the little buggers when I hit the bottom. It may have not have been the best tactically, but it was fun!

Whats some crazy things you guys have trued just for the fun of it?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-29, 04:09 PM
I live a pretty safe/boring life IRL, so I lose a fair number of characters to risky behavior. I don't have any stories that don't come with "you had to be there" but I do find the game to be immensely more entertaining if you're willing to take chances that'd have you labled as mildly insane IRL.

pebcak_error
2012-08-29, 04:35 PM
Oh come on, story time :smallbiggrin:

Teryon
2012-08-29, 04:38 PM
Heh, my life isn't quite boring(hardly military action or anything), and I still find myself taking ridiculous stunts. Hell, until the current campaign I've actually been playing either

A. Cautious, slightly paranoid characters that survive by wits and a bit of luck

or

B. Someone with a power set that makes being cautious silly(non-D&D, so I won't mention names)

Now I'm playing a warforged in a pathfinder-converted Eberron game, and it's proving quite fun. Just the second campaign, while the group was trying to escape from Sharn after stealing a major artifact we didn't think House Tarkanan should really have, we ran into trouble. A bunch of city guards(hah!) and a mage hovering overhead(and over a rather long drop) providing artillery support from the rear.

I spent some money on a ring of jumping +5 and made acrobatics a class skill. I lept at him.

DM: If you miss, you're going to fall and die.
Me: Yeah, if I miss or don't come up with something on the way down.
DM: OK, roll it.

Unfortunately my dramatic takedown of a squishy mage was foiled by our own wizard returning fire and getting a crit. I had purchased a grappling hook and chain that could hold up to 400lbs, and I only weighed 350. Even if he ruled it snapped, I could at least control my fall and go through a wall or something.

That's the sort of thing I like to do. I don't know what you're being allowed to use and not allow to use, so I'm trying to be more general here.

What you can do depends on the nature of the environment you usually find yourself in. If you can get the height advantage, play sniper(get a weapon with true strike and nab a couple of the added-damage ranger spells), or swing in Errol-Flynn style and mix it up in melee.

Another height-advantage trick: Grab a potion bag(preferably a handy haversack), and rain down fiery\icy bombs from above. Or buy bags of marbles and toss them at opponents feet, non-magical grease spell-equivalent(though, your allies may suffer from this as well, depending).

Pick up Use Magic Device if your charisma's decent, toss some skill points in it and start wand-slinging.

Take abundant-ammunition as a spell, enchant it on a quiver and forever unload arrows into melee(additional fun, get 1 cold iron, 1 silver and 1 adamantine head, the spell will duplicate those as well since they're non-magical, just in case).

Take Knowledge: Engineering and start constructing traps, or use string to trip up melee-types.

Learn how to play an instrument really badly and get the DM to rule it as a distraction for enemy spellcasters :)

Purchase tanglefoot bags or tar bombs, lob them at spellcasters.

Bond with a rat as your companion and send it to bite at the sensitive bits on an enemy wizard\sorcerer\whatever.

Raise your social skills and convince the locals to take up arms against whoever's bothering you, or convince a kingdom you're a long-lost heir\descendent\what have you.

There's probably more, but thats all I've got for the moment.

Chained Birds
2012-08-29, 10:33 PM
I try to be the Straight-Man of my groups, even though I at times do some wild and very strange things. But my friend is a natural at the Wierd and inventive plays.

Last character he had that I played alongside, was a Cleric of Cayden who has his holy symbol imbedded into his neck as a show of faith and to prevent people from stealing it away. He also dressed like a Ninja Doctor and fancied jumping through windows as shortcuts.
I was a Half-Orc Barbarian who enjoyed his monotonous "Swing stick at baddy" approach, because I had stuff to back me up like DR and my cleric friend. Though I played the slightly dim-witted brawler, I would sometimes do something "Smart" like removing a 500lb trap from a dungeon to use as my guy's AoE for the next few battles (Had an automatic trap reset and would spew out a cone of acid every time it was opened).

My suggestions, do take everything that may not seem practical at first, and make it into part of your deadly arsenal.
- Guillotine Blade: Attach a rope to the end of it and you've got a swingable blade of death.
- Wonderous Figurine of a Large or Larger creature: Use it as a tool for assassinations. Know one will shout Assassin! when a whale falls from the sky.
- etc.