PDA

View Full Version : Need some conversion. 3.5 D&D to Pathfinder.

Metahuman1
2012-08-29, 04:42 PM
Ok, so, in the interests of maintaining my sanity with my current IRL group, I'm making plans to switch them over to Pathfinder when the current game is over.

But, there are things in 3.5 I'm rather attached too, particularly in the way of classes and Sub systems. I am specifically looking at Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum.

Does anyone know of a good set of conversion rules to both systems form 3.5 to Pathfiner out there? Barring that, can anyone help me to make a solid, smooth and fun to play conversion for the two sub systems?

theUnearther
2012-08-29, 07:01 PM
First, please note that I don't actually know Pathfinder.

That said, somebody asked about the Tome of Battle a while ago and the answer they got was that it's mostly all fine, just convert the Grapple/Trip/Disarm/etcetera maneuvers, which I understand are handled different in Pathfinder.
Also I guess the ones that run on skill checks will output smaller numbers, but not significantly so.

TopCheese
2012-08-29, 09:56 PM
I hate Paizo but some useful advice..

Anytime a manuever is given a bonus only allow it to be added to you CMB or CMD to that type of manuever

Binders will fit right in with Pathfinder for the most part since they also get at will stuff like Lightning bolt.

Shadowcaster/Truenamer... No Clue

Crusader/Warblade/Swordsage should be fine on terms of power/versitility. The fighter will still be jealous but at least the paladin should be fine.

If only pathfinder was you know balanced (like they said in the beginning) then you might have a problem but as is... Pathfinder and 3.5 is usable together.

ericgrau
2012-08-29, 10:42 PM
It's not terribly different. Classes are only a little more powerful but otherwise are similar. You might use ToB classes as is, except where PF made rules changes. Anyone with core classes like fighter or paladin can switch to the PF versions pretty easily. Anything low power might need a bump since even PF core is a little stronger.

But basically I don't think you'll have to do anything special to use 3.5 material in PF.

Novawurmson
2012-08-29, 10:44 PM
I'm working on a PF ToB update (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s7GQLBeyEP1FitOMikP_Kh8oRmKnzG_AKvaOPqjHqWk/edit). Got a good bit done and a good bit left to do.

The Redwolf
2012-08-29, 11:04 PM
I'm working on a PF ToB update (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s7GQLBeyEP1FitOMikP_Kh8oRmKnzG_AKvaOPqjHqWk/edit). Got a good bit done and a good bit left to do.

I was just reading through it and felt I should mention your second link at the very bottom does not work, it's just colored blue and underlined.

Novawurmson
2012-08-29, 11:16 PM
I was just reading through it and felt I should mention your second link at the very bottom does not work, it's just colored blue and underlined.

The Dancing Leaf Discipline link? That's the only one that was broken to me. Tell me if it's fixed now (and thank you for pointing it out :D).

The Redwolf
2012-08-29, 11:21 PM
That was it and yes it is.

grarrrg
2012-08-29, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know of a good set of conversion rules to both systems form 3.5 to Pathfiner out there? Barring that, can anyone help me to make a solid, smooth and fun to play conversion for the two sub systems?

Well, there are so many weird/odd/strange/different things that 3.5 dabbled with that you mainly have to convert on a case-by-case basis.

The quick and dirty rules are as such:
1/2 Bab Base classes get d6HD
3/4 Bab Base classes get d8HD
Full Bab Base classes get d10HD (sometimes d12HD)

PrC's are semi-exempt from this, but for the most part, if it has d4HD it becomes d6HD. If it has d6HD it "might" become d8HD. d8's and up should stay the same (mostly...).

Balance, Jump, and Tumble are condensed into Acrobatics (DEX)
Listen, Search, and Spot are condensed into Perception (WIS)
Decipher Script, Forgery, and Speak Language are condensed into Linguistics (INT)
Move Silently and Hide are condensed into Stealth (DEX)
Use Rope and Concentration are gone.

PrC's do NOT get a +2 Save bonus on their good saves. INSTEAD their first level is treated as 2 for the purposes of Save progression. This makes more sense if you think of Saves in the Fractional way. A Good Save gets +1/2 every level, a Poor Save gets +1/3. The first level of a PrC gets either +1 or +2/3's to each of its Saves, and +1/2 or +1/3 after that.

EDIT: added to the skills, see Novawurmson's post.

Novawurmson
2012-08-29, 11:37 PM
Move Silently and Hide are now Stealth.

Use Rope doesn't exist.

Concentration doesn't exist as a skill - you'll need to figure out what you're going to use instead for Diamond Mind (I recommend Autohypnosis or Sense Motive).

Metahuman1
2012-08-30, 06:19 PM
Ok, I think that about covered ToB. What about Incarnum? The book with all the soul melds stuff?

Novawurmson
2012-08-30, 07:57 PM
There have been a few threads about it on the Playground, but nobody has posted a big update. Mostly, I would say the same things for a quick update: Change all the skills, remember that most bonuses to attack rolls also apply to CMD and most bonuses/penalties to AC also apply to CMD and you've got most of what you need. A few minor things might also be nice to change (Azure Dodge should probably be updated to work like PF Dodge, etc.).

The last big thread was about completely revamping the book to come into line with PF design goals, which is probably waaaay more than you need just to play a Totemist in a 3.P game :D

jackissocool
2012-10-29, 12:13 AM
I use this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/294165-incarnum-pathfinder.html) for my pathfinder games. It still captures the feel of incarnum perfectly and totally meshes with the power level of pathfinder. Good choice, by the way! Pathfinder's got a lot of first and third party support, which it will for a while, and, while it's not perfect, balance is a big step up from 3.5 and there's a lot less bloat. Also, incarnun is an awesome system. Sadly, this guy doesn't do anything about the incarnum feats. I would look somewhere else for those, but most of them should be pretty easy to convert.

Metahuman1
2012-10-29, 09:42 AM
Oh, that is useful. Thanks! +)

Novawurmson
2012-10-29, 12:04 PM
Wow, pretty nice incarnum update. I'll have to dig through it for a while, but definitely bookmarked.

jackissocool
2012-11-06, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I really dig it. The guy did a great job converting the old classes and creating the fundamentalist, and over the next few pages they hashed out a cool idea for a necrocarnate base class.