PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Third Party Publishers

Mordenkainen
2012-08-29, 05:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good third party (not WotC) books or publishers. I know that there are a lot out there but I'm only familiar with a few, and I've been looking for a way to enliven my D&D game. I'm not looking for any extremely powerful optimizations for characters, just a solid book with interesting content. I already have the Seafarer's Handbook by Legends & Lairs, which was a great book, and the entire 3.5-updated Wilderlands of High Fantasy Campaign Setting by Judges guild, but nothing else. Thanks!

Flickerdart
2012-08-29, 05:32 PM
If you're a psionics fan, Hyperconscious is worth checking out.

laeZ1
2012-08-29, 06:07 PM
Any of the Quintessentials have interesting, if a bit overpowering, content; along with more options for all of the classes the books were made for. The Book of Erotic Fantasy is also worth taking a look at.

Mordenkainen
2012-08-29, 06:32 PM
I'll have to look into Hyperconscious and the Quintessentials. I know I've seen the Quintessential Wizard on some forum or another. The Book of Erotic Fantasy is a no, though; I don't even want to go there.

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-29, 06:47 PM
I'm partial to Crossbreeding: Flesh and Blood, simply because statting out how wizards make owlbears is something that should've been done ages ago.

Manly Man
2012-08-29, 06:54 PM
A lot of stuff by Green Ronin is very decent as well.

eggs
2012-08-29, 07:03 PM
Green Ronin books are typically very good quality, as are Dreamscarred Press and the Pactmagic.com people.

Alderac has some very deep, very interesting support for early 3.0. AEG's books tend to take a bit of oversight (things like extra actions, supernatural spellcasting and attack-action casting sometimes creep in, but if you're comfortable with 3e, you can usually spot and ban/tweak those without too much trouble), but they produced enough interesting and generally high-quality material that I think most of their stuff is worth checking out.

Legends and Lairs is Fantasy Flight, right? I usually like their DM/monster/setting materials quite a bit, but I'm struggling to think of anything I've used on the players end. I use their Wildscape and X Lore books often.

Monte Cook's stuff is popular where I live, and it's fairly interesting as a whole, but most of his standalone materials are either balanced or on the weak end compared to the default 3e system (not a huge problem on its own). Just don't take him at his word that his alternate magic systems and all their trappings are compatible with 3e magic, because they're really not. (This is specifically a reference to Arcana Evolved's spell templates, which do nasty things when they leave AE's environment of generally weak spells.)

Necromancer Games also have some cool stuff on the DM's end - I'm a huge fan of their Tomes of Horror, especially.

Bastion Press has some fun stuff on the DM's end, especially their Into the X line (Green especially, for filling 3e's gap for a good "It's Jungle Outside"). But they're often more resources for ideas than actual implementation - the numbers on their monsters often seem arbitrary or inappropriate (on either the high or low end), so grabbing a monster or encounter from one of their books often involves some on-the-fly tweaking, which may be a turnoff.

Mongoose has a ton of stuff that has mostly failed to impress me. They've cranked out enough books that I'm sure there are some gems in there, but what I've seen has been either very dry (numbers as feats and class features) or very broken (Chaos Magicked Shapechange before the Sorcerer gets Alter Self).