PDA

View Full Version : SCP Rpg system?

Kikon9
2012-08-29, 06:33 PM
Having been somewhat burned out by DMing fantasy RPGs with my IRL group, I've been wanting to try and stretch my horror, or at least non-fantasy muscles for once. So I've been scrounging the internet for ideas, and I have a vague idea for a campaign based on the SCP Foundation. (http://www.scp-wiki.net/)

Of course, having only played fantasy RPGs before, I don't exactly know what system to use for a horror game, or what system would work for the amount of homebrewing that such a campaign would require.

Could any of the fine people of these forums recommend a system that would work well with a campaign based on this subject matter?

Aron Times
2012-08-29, 08:11 PM
New World of Darkness has rules for supernatural items and people. To be specific, the SCP Foundation would be a Hunter organization.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-29, 08:49 PM
New World of Darkness has rules for supernatural items and people. To be specific, the SCP Foundation would be a Hunter organization.
This reflects my thoughts exactly.

Edge of Dreams
2012-08-29, 11:03 PM
Whatever you choose, sanity and/or mental damage rules are a must. FATE and some of the FATE-based systems (Spirit of the Century, Dresden Files) might be a good place to look for ideas - they include separate physical, mental, and social damage tracks, but serious "wounds" (termed "consequences" in those systems) from any track apply to your performance in all three areas. It's a little hard to explain, but makes sense in play.

Teln
2012-08-29, 11:48 PM
If you want a look at the Foundation through the eyes of Class-D personnel, I'd advise checking out Paranoia.

Mono Vertigo
2012-08-30, 04:23 AM
And several SCPs can be perfectly replicated as Wonders from Genius: the Transgression. Even better, they could all be considered orphans, manes, or clockstoppers.
The fact that Geniuses are explicitly stated to only be able to build their inventions because they are crazy and go against the rules of reality (as opposed to being supported by obscure powers/entities) is a nice bonus on top of it all. There are little adjustments to make in light of that.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-30, 08:19 AM
If you want a look at the Foundation through the eyes of Class-D personnel, I'd advise checking out Paranoia.
Only instead of clones, you just have a new agent. :smalltongue:
Now, many artefacts are safe and even beneficial and many of the worst are *very* tightly secured.
Still, the worst aren't the worst for nothing, and there is always new ones to be contained . . .

Glimbur
2012-09-02, 07:15 AM
You might also consider Unknown Armies. It's an exploration of magic in the modern world. And by 'magic' I mean mostly doing things that don't make sense to get magic power. I haven't played it, but it seems like an ok system for playing... differently sane characters.

Dimers
2012-09-02, 09:48 AM
Shadowrun might be a good basis for elite operatives in that setting. It'd make a very different game from nWoD or Paranoia, though. So think about what kind of game you want to attach to the gameworld.

GURPS could fit a few different styles and you could fine-tune it for the sort of play you want. It'd take more startup work, but if that's the only way to get things exactly the way you want ...

Jack of Spades
2012-09-02, 01:40 PM
After spending way too long in that rabbit hole today, I can say this: InSpectres would work, and the everyone-tells-the-story bit of the mechanics would certainly fit for an adaptation of a collaborative writing project.

Analytica
2012-09-02, 06:28 PM
I now want stats for SCP-682 (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-682), for any kind of game system. :smallbiggrin:

Jack of Spades
2012-09-03, 04:34 AM
I now want stats for SCP-682 (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-682), for any kind of game system. :smallbiggrin:

Hm...

PunPun-esque stats, at will gains immunity to any single form of attack, at will increases any other stats it wants to, every language, regen something like 30 hp her round?

Yeah, definitely a cinematic, don't-roll-it's-not-worth-it monster.

Flickerdart
2012-09-03, 04:37 AM
Isn't it basically just the Tarrasque?

Silus
2012-09-03, 10:31 AM
Isn't it basically just the Tarrasque?

Add in the Pathfinder's JubJub Bird's Adaptive Defense and you're getting close.

When first encountered, a jubjub bird has no energy resistance. When damaged by an attack that causes cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage, it gains resistance 30 to that energy type until the end of its next turn. If an attack causes more than one type of energy damage, the jubjub bird gains resistance 30 to all the types of energy damage dealt.

Edit: Thinking about it, would a Sphere of Annihilation kill 682? I mean, the thing is crazy stupid adaptable, but you're essentially flinging a 2ft-wide reality unwriting black hole at it.

Kazyan
2012-09-03, 07:50 PM
Edit: Thinking about it, would a Sphere of Annihilation kill 682? I mean, the thing is crazy stupid adaptable, but you're essentially flinging a 2ft-wide reality unwriting black hole at it.

The last time I checked, only one thing has has ever been able to destroy every part of SCP-682 before regeneration/immunity made the technique useless, and that's one of the other SCPs: a camera that makes the focus of the picture disappear. SCP-682 reformed in a smokestack of the Large Hadron Collider, or something along those lines. If you threw a Sphere of Annihilation at SCP-682, it would carve off some chunks for a while, but probably learn to take control of the sphere, while learning to pass through it harmlessly.

One of the best theories I've heard about SCP-682 is that it's not a lifeform or object in the conventional senses of the word; it's best described as a flaw in the universe. There's something wrong with reality that allows SCP-682 to exist, so you're not going to get rid of it. Ever.

Silus
2012-09-03, 10:50 PM
The last time I checked, only one thing has has ever been able to destroy every part of SCP-682 before regeneration/immunity made the technique useless, and that's one of the other SCPs: a camera that makes the focus of the picture disappear. SCP-682 reformed in a smokestack of the Large Hadron Collider, or something along those lines. If you threw a Sphere of Annihilation at SCP-682, it would carve off some chunks for a while, but probably learn to take control of the sphere, while learning to pass through it harmlessly.

One of the best theories I've heard about SCP-682 is that it's not a lifeform or object in the conventional senses of the word; it's best described as a flaw in the universe. There's something wrong with reality that allows SCP-682 to exist, so you're not going to get rid of it. Ever.

/Wish spell

Ravens_cry
2012-09-03, 11:06 PM
There was the liquid from the SCP (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-294) that could produce any liquid.
Since the liquid's production destroyed the test site, it is unknown if it would work or continue to work.

Jack of Spades
2012-09-03, 11:07 PM

So 682 has Jack Harkness syndrome, basically? :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2012-09-03, 11:20 PM
There was the liquid from the SCP (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-294) that could produce any liquid.
Since the liquid's production destroyed the test site, it is unknown if it would work or continue to work.
Even the things that destroy 682 don't destroy 682, so I doubt that it would work.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-03, 11:30 PM
Even the things that destroy 682 don't destroy 682, so I doubt that it would work.
Ah well, once you get the kind of power levels of some of the more powerful SCP, it becomes downright philosophical. I wouldn't wonder if there was an actual Irrepressible Force and an Immovable Object among the SCP.

Kazyan
2012-09-03, 11:33 PM
Ah well, once you get the kind of power levels of some of the more powerful SCP, it becomes downright philosophical. I wouldn't wonder if there was an actual Irrepressible Force and an Immovable Object among the SCP.

They are, and they're two parts of the same SCP. It's hard to tell when they'll connect, and the contengency plan is dimensional evacuation. (It is considered uncertain that it will work.)

Sebastian
2012-09-04, 06:02 PM
Add in the Pathfinder's JubJub Bird's Adaptive Defense and you're getting close.

the problems is that if it don't kill him there is the risk that scp-682 could , for example, learn to control the sphere before it can destroy him, or worse, reproduce its power.

And that would be bad.

anyway, I'd suggest gurps black ops and gurp warehose 23. Even if you don't use GURPS they would make great source material.