PDA

View Full Version : Worlds largest dungeon

Invader
2012-08-29, 07:52 PM
Does anyone know where to get a copy of the worlds largest dungeon with the maps for less than $125? I'd love to have it but at the price it seems kind of steep.

Also has anyone played it or even looked through it and what are your opinions?

Crasical
2012-08-29, 08:00 PM
I feel like the WLD really is a better experienced chopped up and used as multiple smaller dungeons than run as written, and with a lot of the more nonsense rules dispensed with, such as the ban on crowd control and summoning magic, and the lack of useful magical items. Our group has been running it for a good while now, and we're well on our way to getting sick of it. It might also just be our group, but we've been critically wounded and lost more PCs much more often by traps than monsters, as well, but it takes so long to run through the dungeon if the party stops to search each door, so it might make the experience more palatable if you just ask your DM to assume the player with trapfinding will take 10 on his roll at every door, and inform you if that check beats the trap's Search DC.

Invader
2012-08-29, 08:06 PM
I feel like the WLD really is a better experienced chopped up and used as multiple smaller dungeons than run as written, and with a lot of the more nonsense rules dispensed with, such as the ban on crowd control and summoning magic, and the lack of useful magical items. Our group has been running it for a good while now, and we're well on our way to getting sick of it. It might also just be our group, but we've been critically wounded and lost more PCs much more often by traps than monsters, as well, but it takes so long to run through the dungeon if the party stops to search each door, so it might make the experience more palatable if you just ask your DM to assume the player with trapfinding will take 10 on his roll at every door, and inform you if that check beats the trap's Search DC.

I've heard similar things from other people. If I ran I'm thinking I'd def make a few changes. I think the biggest complaint I've heard is the lack of vendors which should be easy enough to fix.

nyjastul69
2012-08-29, 11:36 PM
I'm on my second stint DM'ing(not straight through) this adventure and I'm less impressed than the first time. It seems to me, the more I read it, the less it makes any sense. I'd say if you can get it for 1/2 cover price, it may be worth it. I think your money would be better spent on $100+ worth of splat books, rather than 100+ worth of dungeon that needs heavy handed modification. YMMV

Agent 451
2012-08-30, 03:40 PM
I assume you are looking for a hardcover? If not, you can get the pdf (which has something like 50 more pages for some reason...) from places like DriveThruRPG, which has it on sale for $40 right now. (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/23425/World's-Largest-Dungeon,-The?it=1)

DrDeth
2012-08-30, 05:59 PM
Ebay has one right now going for $36.

Invader
2012-09-01, 09:08 PM
Ebay has one right now going for $36.

I've been watching eBay. I haven't seen one going for anywhere near that cheap unless there was a few days left on the auction.