PDA

View Full Version : [OOC] Mother, I'm Here

Neon Knight
2012-08-29, 10:09 PM
Here is the OOC thread for my MnM2e game, about magical girls fighting an evil space ship.

Here's a copy of all the fluff and details established so far:

Well, gentlemen, I was looking into trying GMing after a long hiatus, and in a weird coincidence I was considering running an MnM2e Magical Girl Themed game. I'm not certain if it exactly what you are going for here, but I thought I would offer you a pitch and see what you think.

The game I was planning isn't 100% traditional magical girl fare. It has a somewhat futuristic and sci-fish bent rather than a magical or fantasy atmosphere, although it is soft science fiction/science fantasy as opposed to hard science fiction. It may also be a bit darker than you were hoping for.

The basic idea is that an alien ship has arrived in invisible orbit around the Earth, housing an AI called The Mother. It is a deranged and insane machine, hating all life and usually purging any inhabited planets that it finds. But every once in a while, specific individuals among a planet's population catch her eye, and become the focus of her obsession. These "Children" are pursued and abducted by a race of monsters spawned by The Mother, are brought up to a live a doomed eternity suffering The Mother's twisted affection.

They aren't without hope, however, as The Mother's approach triggers a strange force that flies to The Children's aid, granting them abilities and powers above and beyond normal humans to fight the darkness. The Mother is powerful, but she dare not use her full strength. Her "love" for her Children means that she will not dare risk any harm to them, and will withhold from destroying the Earth until they are safely within her holds. Her creatures are strange and fearsome, but ultimately they can be fought. It's not easy, and at times they will walk a razor's edge between life and a doom almost worse than death - but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

The players undertake the role of the "Children" of a certain city or community. They would all be in their teen years, and the game would focus on both their everyday real lives and the struggles therein as well as their nightly battles to keep themselves out of The Mother's hands and to keep their community safe.

In terms of abilities/powers, I was going to give fairly free reign up to the players in terms of concepts, while watching mechanics fairly closely. There would be a few changes I would make to MnM2e to better suit the experience I had in mind. So far, I have one other interested player who was thinking something along the lines of "Iron Man as a magical girl".

I have a short prose intro written up, if you care to read:
Above the Earth, an invisible threat looms like a silent harbinger of doom. Of massive size, the miles long vessel lurks in the orbit of the blue planet, utterly unseen by the humanity that dwells upon it. A massive spaceship, dreaded across the galaxy as a bringer of doom and a slayer of planets. An enigma, destroying without apparent purpose or cause, drifting from system to system, lingering only to annihilate any life it finds. A monstrosity, a twisted form of organic and inorganic matter fused into a cruel, calculating intelligence inhabiting a body the size of some land masses, wielding weapons that can devastate cities in a instant.

Those on the Earth are ignorant of her, and the threat she poses to them. Her power exceeds the collective strengths of all the weapons humanity has ever made. In an instant, she could erase them and all trace of them from the galaxy. And this she desires greatly.

Whirring electric eyes click and twist in mechanical sockets as the snap picture after picture of a species of unworthies, as malignant spheres of ocular flesh view the same without the curse of a photographic memory. Circuits seethe with hatred, as fiber optic nerves transmit the commands that will unseal the flames of the apocalypse, racing with their flesh and blood counterparts to see who can deliver the command first. The engine of extinction could be unleashed in an instant, purging the earth in hellfire. It would be unstoppable. There would be no chance of anyone on the Earth surviving.

And yet the destroyer stays her hand. Something keeps her from striking out at the teeming billions upon the surface of the planet below, something strange and inexplicable. For out of that multitude of souls that the ship’s hateful intelligence would sacrifice or slay in an instant, there were a few that were... different. From just looking at them, you wouldn’t see a difference between these people and their neighbors. They looked ordinary. Maybe a bit brighter or faster than usual, maybe a bit more talented than your average person, but not necessarily a real stand out.

The sinister satellite in orbit focuses more on more on them, following them through their daily lives. High in the sky, it watches them for days in hidden orbit, growing fixated, and then obsessed. Finally, a voice rumbles through corridors of metal and bone, and the numerous crawling things within the ship’s belly hear, and listen. “Bring them to me. Bring all of them to me. Find my children.”

Under the cover of darkness, numerous black specks descend from the the holds of the unseen ship and fall upon the earth. Writhing and twisting through the aching empty void of space, they fall to the earth to plant seeds, lay spores, and secret away eggs that will hatch the snatching beasts The Mother will use to gain her children. An army of loathsome things with no names begin their campaign of terror and their search for the Children - those luckless few humans that the great ship, The Mother, sees value in. So long as the Children remain on the Earth, humanity is safe. If they are taken up into The Mother, then the Earth will be destroyed, and the Children will come to wish they had been destroyed with it - facing the tortuous, sadistic mockery of affection that The Mother gives to her Children.

It is a war played out in the shadows of the night, as The Mother’s monsters begin taking and stealing people - and every person they snatch will bring them one step closer to the Children.

It isn't a 100% traditional magical girl scenario - there certainly aren't any cute talking animal characters to mentor you - but I feel it is amiable towards the five requirements at the beginning of the thread (except for possibly #3, depending on how you feel.) And it can be certainly changed, if you guys want. I might also be willing to run a different game for you if this is completely off the mark.

I get the hint.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Ed.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrew setting based on the modern world... but with killer spaceships, monsters, and magic.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

3-6. Need to take an inventory of interest and really see how many people I have gunning for it before I settle on a number.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

GitP Forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Power Level 8, 140 PP.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

N/A.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Not applicable, but in terms of concepts: I'm open to pretty much anything. The only real limitations are that most of your powers should be present after you transform. Passive, subtle, and small powers might be okay in regular form, but for the most part, your abilities should come into play after the stock transformation sequence.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Everyone should be human, teenage, with at least 50% of the case being female.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

N/A.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

N/A. But in general, be decent people, please.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

N/A.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

I'll do the majority of the rolls I need from you on my own. You guys should roll anything for any actions you want to do.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

I'll probably be changing the Toughness Save/damage track, because it often turns out to be a bit lethal in my experience. The changes will mostly be minor, still working on the details. I might also fiddle with the Fatigue track since by default it is very exploitable. Other than that, I will probably not change too much/anything, but reserve the right to change anything if problems arise.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A good background is nice, and it should be whatever length is necessary to do the character and the concept justice. In particular, linking background elements with other players is encouraged. Knowing each other, having friends in common, going to the same places, etc.

Backgrounds will probably be the primary criteria by which players are chosen.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Some fighty, some roleplay-ey/talky/drama-ey.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

I will tentatively allow most of the M&M books, but tread carefully. Any Ultimate Power shenanigans will be stomped out with extreme prejudice in the name of love and justice.

System: MnM 2
Player Count: 3-6.
Style of Play: Fight, then talk, then fight some more, then talk some more. Also, drama! Attempting for a balance of seriousness and light-heartedness/slice of life-ness.
Allowed Content: Anything MnM. Tentatively. Don't be a jerk and take no-save powers or stuff like that.

Character Creation: Power Level 8, PP 140. Bakcstory required, and make it good and detailed please. Details about family life/members/history appreciated, as well as about friends, hobbies, interests, likes/dislikes, beliefs, worldview, personality etc.

Other Notes: Have fun with it, please.

So here's a write-up for our cute animal mascots.

The Surians (note: all of the stuff in the spoiler are thing the characters will know IC)
Hailing from either Polaris or a star near it, the Surians are an advanced race who have decided to oppose the Mother's rampages across the stars. Once, one of their worlds was threatened just like the Earth is now. The Surians lost this planet and some of their own to the Mother, and ever since then have tried to stop her voyage of kidnapping and genocide.

To this end, the Surians have undertaken a campaign of infiltrating at risk planets, informing any Children they can identify, and granting them the powers necessary to defend themselves and others.

The Surians you have met on Earth have all used their advanced technology to take the form of Earth animals. They have true organic bodies closely conforming to the true pattern of Earth creatures. This disguise is nearly flawless, with even other animals of the same species mistaking them for the genuine article. This deception protects them from being targeted by the Mother and her creatures, as well as allowing them to go unnoticed by Earth's population.

These animal bodies are made with the same means that your powers are granted: by magic. Specifically, the Celestial Amulets. The Surians did not devise the amulets. They found one during their first contact with the Mother and copied it, and since then have been disseminating them across the galaxy to those in need. The Celestial Amulet appears to be a source or perhaps a focus for some kind of unknown, unexplained energy that can warp the fabric of reality. The skeptical Surians try not to refer to this as magic, but merely a type of energy and phenomena yet to be explained. The origin of the Celestial Amulet also appears to be unknown; it is theorized that they were created by some species that encountered or opposed the Mother.

The Celestial Amulet can be used by anyone of any species, but some individuals can use it more effectively than others. The individuals that the Mother selects as her Children tend to be more proficient at their use than normal, although there are exceptions.

Its effects also seem to differ from species to species. In Surians, it grants them the ability to periodically reshape their bodies into new forms, albeit with some unfortunate limitations that prevents them from turning into giant kaiju (trust me, they tried). In fact, for most of them, the ability is more useful for stealth and camouflage than it is for fighting. In humans, it seems to grant them the power to transform at will into a state in which they have access to mystical powers. The Celestial Amulet is used merely by clasping it in the hand or to the body, and focusing intently inward on one's own thoughts and emotions. Surians learned how to use the devices by observing the behavior of the Mother's monsters when they used their own counterparts to the Celestial Amulets.

The monsters of the mother are sometimes seen with objects that seem similar in form and function to the Celestial Amulets. These are referred to as Chthonic Stones, and they similarly grant those that wield them mystical powers. Chthonic Stones appear to be inimical and diametrically opposed to Celestial Amulets.

The Surians have taken great pains to learn human culture and to translate all of their knowledge into more easily understandable terms. They appear to be very knowledgeable about humanity in general, and draw from human culture in their explanation of things, as the name given above indicate. Obviously, Celestial Amulet is not the term for the mystic devices in their language, but rather one they choose to introduce the concept to humans.

There are three Surians that have contact you so far, each of whom has taken up the role of a local animal.

Akai is an Akita, a large spitz breed of dog native to Japan. Akai is a striking red color with distinctive "Urajiro" markings i.e., whitish coat on the sides of the muzzle, cheeks, jaw, neck, chest, body, tail and on the inside of the legs. Akai is the youngest of the Surians and has never fought in an anti-Mother operation before. She's energetic, forthright, and dependable. Akai is often the first Surian that a Child of the Mother meets, and is the most easily accessible and amiable of them. Unlike the others, she seems to take a real interest in the Children as people, and concerns herself with their "normal" lives. Akai lives in a suburban neighborhood as a stray, and is known for being friendly and harmless.

Kuma is a Japanese bobtail, a native breed of domestic cat. A mostly white calico, Kuma closely resembles the stereotypical image of the beckoning cat (maneki-neko), a type of good luck charm commonly taking the form of a ceramic statue at the entrance of a business. Unlike Akai, who handles most of the interactions with the Children, Kuma appears to be mostly concerned with looking for signs of the Mother's presence. Kuma is more businesslike and formal than Akai, although not unfriendly. His duties keep him out of contact with the Children more often than not, but he has taken the time to introduce himself to everyone that he can. Kuma has more experience than Akai does, having participated in a "successful" fight against the Mother, although from the details you can infer it was far from a flawless victory. Kuma has apparently been adopted by a local woman with a fondness for cats.

Tsurugi is a Japanese red fox who watches the edge of the city and the surrounding area. Unlike the other two, Tsurugi has made no real effort to talk with the Children. At best, he is taciturn and even a bit surly towards them. Tsurugi is utterly dedicated to the fight as a mission against the Mother, and views the Children as soldiers to be used in this mission, rather than as victims of the Mother's madness. Tsurugi is older and more experienced than either Kuma or Akai, and seems to serve as the group's tactician and commanding officer.

___

Meanwhile, I've been thinking some and brushing up on my knowledge of Japanese geography. After some consideration, I think the city of Yokohama is a good candidate for our game to be centered upon.

Yokohama is a major port city of 3.7 million people, and the capital of the Kanagawa Prefecture. It is located in the southern area of the Kanto region on the main island of Honshu. the city itself is long the coast of Tokyo Bay, and is south of Tokyo itself.

The climate around Yokohama is warm and humid in the summer, and chilly in the winter, although tending not drop below freezing. The city is a prominent port, with the local economy focused around shipping, biotechnology, and semiconductors. Nissan also has their headquarters there. It has a high speed rail line as well as its own metro service.

Kannai is the historic port district and government center, currently undergoing renovation, but still full old historic old buildings and warehouses. The nearby Yama****a Park along the waterfront has been a popular destination since the 1930s, noted for pleasing aesthetics. Near Yama****a Park is Yokohama Marine Tower, one of the largest light houses in the world.

Further inland is Yokohama Chinatown, the largest Chinatown in Japan and one of the largest in the world. East of Chinatown is the Motomachi, a small but fashionable shopping district. To the East of Motomachi is Yamate, or "the Bluff", an old foreign district with many old western style mansions, a Foreigner's cemetery, the Sacred Heart Cathedral (the seat of the bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Yokohama), and several international schools. Yamate overlooks the harbor, with another park that features an excellent view of the coastline, a rose garden, and a museum of Modern Literature.

Back towards the harbor side, the Minato Mirai 21 (literally meaning Port of the Future [in] the 21[st century]) is a major development area, the site of an urban renewal project and land reclamation effort. It is located between Kannai and the Yokohama Station, a major interchange station. A major business area, the Minato Mirai contains the Landmark Tower, Japan's tallest skyscraper, as well as the three Queens Square Towers, which contain a large shopping mall. It is also home to the Pacifico Yokohama convention center, the Intercontinental Hotel, the Cosmo Clock 21 Ferris wheel, and more. Next to Landmark Tower is the Yokohama Museum of Art. Due to the beautiful view, bay proximity, cruise ships docked at Ōsanbashi Pier, and the graceful Yokohama Bay Bridge, images of Minato Mirai 21 tend to be used as a symbol of today's Yokohama. Kishamichi Promenade is a particularly beautiful area, with an expansive view of the skyline.

Also notable is Sankei-en, a traditional Japanese garden located along the harbor side, near Kannai. Sankei-en contains many historically significant structures, which were taken from all across Japan and rebuilt there. 10 of these are considered Important Cultural Property by the Japanese government.

I think Yokohama is a good sight of the game for a few reasons. First, it has an international flavor to it, allowing me to mix exchange students and the like easily into the mix. The already established Western, Chinese, and Korean influences also mix up the aesthetics a little bit.

Yokohama is clearly a progressive and modern city, but with also remnants of the past scattered around in Kannai and Yamate. Past vs. future motifs are at least somewhat relevant, what with futuristic and technological nature of your adversary.

At the very least, it has giant landmarks to fight on/around and is close to the beach.

Players and Important NPCs

Jones Susumu 14 (Green Bean)
- Jones Misako, Sister (13)
- Jones Akiha, Mother (Early 30's)
- Inoue Kaori, Cousin (14)
- Hashimoto Noboru, Grandfather (Old)

Hoshino Yuki, 15 (Lykan)
- The Hoshinos, Absent Parents (Thirties?)
- Hoshino Nanami, Younger Sister (14?)
- Hoshino Miyu, Little Sister (13?)
- Nakamura Kaito, Uncle (Late Twenties/Early Thirties?)

Aoki Kimiko 16 (Vael)
- Aoki Jun, Father (Just Under the Hill)
- Aoki Noriko, Mother (Just Over It)
- Aoki Kaoru, Sister (14)

Morie Nashiko, 17 (Hawker)
- Morie Saburo, Father (Late Thirties/Forties?)

Proposed Connections:
Hashimoto Noboru (Green Bean) and Aoki Jun (Vael) have met through work before and are on amiable terms. Jun's company provides electronics and semi-conductors for Noboru's firm.

Aoki Kaoru (Vael) is friends with Inoue Kaori (Green Bean) and to a lesser degree Jones Misako (Green Bean) because of their families business deals. Kaoru and Kaori share a mutual interest in polite society, graces and manners, as well as both being in the Archery Club.

Hoshino Nanami (Lykan) is friends with Jones Misako (Green Bean) through their mutual interest in similar clubs. Misako is typically too responsible to accompany Nanami on her more "adventurous" forays, but otherwise they're together fairly often.

Inoue Kaori (Green Bean) and Hoshino Nanami (Lykan) are in the same class, but have a strong mutual dislike of one another, Nanami disdaining Kaori as "stuffy" and Kaori considering Nanami a hooligan.

Hoshino Nanami (Lykan) plays bass guitar, and has heard that Jones Susumu (Green Bean) is an excellent guitar player, but she's never asked Misako about him or approached him because she's also heard about his fights and is a little scared of him.

Morie Saburo (Hawker) and Nakamura Kaito (Lykan) are regulars at the same bar, and are kind-of sort-of drinking buddies.

___

Toughness saves now are 10+damage modifier.

Non-Lethal Table-
Fail: Bruised
Fail by 5 or More: Bruised x2
Fail by 10 or more: Staggered + Bruised
Fail by 15 or more: Unconscious

Lethal Table-
Fail: Injured + Bruised
Fail by 5 or more: Injured x2 + Bruised x2
Fail by 10 or more: Staggered + Injured + Bruised
Fail by 15 or more: Dying + Unconscious

Couple of things to note:
First, x2 basically means you get two of that condition. The reason for this is that otherwise, being able to hit the lower effects on the table will take some time with the new toughness saves, plus it does keep some scaling in. So it speeds up combat, and means that hitting harder or rolling a bit worse will still have a noticeable effect.

Second, if you fail by 10 or more and already have the Staggered condition, you simply receive an extra Injured or Bruised condition instead.

IC is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254399)

Dice Thread! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14219433#post14219433)

AmberVael
2012-08-31, 07:34 AM
Aoki Kimiko, the Adamant Angel
Character Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=433770)

Backstory
The Aoki family has a significant presence in Yokohama, and has a strong grip on the production of semiconductors, and many areas of their use. Aoki Jun, an experienced businessman, oversees and runs his businesses with a steady hand an eye towards the future, always pushing into new territory and leading the way to the cutting edge. Jun's wife, Noriko, assists in research and development, and is responsible for the creation of many of the latest designs and products that Jun now pushes in his business.

Late in the marriage of Jun and Noriko, they finally found time to consider children. Though many complications and difficulties arose, eventually they had their first daughter, Kimiko. Due to her congenital disability, raising her cost more of their time and money than they could have expected, but being capable people, they were able to raise her and keep their wealth hand fame intact. Nonetheless, Jun has been putting more trust in his business partners for day to day matters, and due to concerns of hereditary disabilities, when Noriko and Jun wanted a second child, they chose to adopt.

Despite countless (and ongoing) medical tests, the precise nature of Kimiko's disability is still unknown. Ultimately, however, as Kimiko has grown she has developed at least enough strength to walk and move herself without much need of assistance, and she seems to have entirely avoided learning disabilities. Indeed, as Kimiko grew, it became increasingly obvious that she had inherited the brilliance of her parents. Kimiko still attends school with those of her age in order to keep in touch with her peers, and to focus on certain activities which do not come as easily to her, but much of her schooling is tailored specifically to her, through collaborative effort of her parents, tutors brought in from universities, and the best the school has to offer.

Due to her extraordinary intelligence, and perhaps some subconscious guilt or pity, Kimiko is afforded a great amount of independence and leeway that others might not have. Her school, impressed by all she has accomplished, gives Kimiko a level of control over her studies and schedule that would not be seen as entirely appropriate for someone else. Her parents, happy for their daughter and having long ago decided to use their wealth to afford her whatever life she might wish.

In someone else, this might have inspired a hedonistic life of luxury, avoiding work and indulging in whatever their tastes turned to. Kimiko, however, turns her resources towards greater independence. There are always people worrying over her health, taking an interest in her studies, or trying to court the wealth of her parents through her. So, quietly and carefully, she has turned her intelligence to building her own life where she can't be disturbed. Her parents and teachers, convinced of her maturity and intelligence, have not pressed or guarded her closely enough to catch on.

And so, Kimiko has (and has done) a number of things that would shock those who think they know her. Who would guess that she actually has her own home, a carefully constructed hideout incorporating as much technology designed by herself as her mother. Oh, some people know it exists- arranging for construction would be hard otherwise- but with modern communication and access to certain assets of her father, no one knows it was made and arranged by Kimiko. Driving has also become a passion of Kimiko, though she is too young to do so legally yet. However, it gives her the ability to go where she wishes to go, to allow her a mobility not granted by her body. In truth, very quietly Kimiko has begun to enter illegal street races and compete in them- and though she knows it is not a good idea, the thrill is such that she continues to do so. To afford such things, Kimiko has gathered money and gifts across the years and invested them, gaining substantial returns.

But the last and strangest secret passion of Kimiko's is being a magical girl. Someone else might have questioned it more, might have been less certain, but for Kimiko, it was another chance to take control of her life, to be who she wanted to be. Recruited by Akai, Kimiko has taken to this secret life with fervor, and though she has yet to fight, she is already preparing her skills and secret resources for the hidden battle against the Mother.
Description
Kimiko is a very small girl, both in terms of height and general build. She has difficulty building up muscle and fat alike, and so her features are slim and delicate. Occasionally she makes use of a cane to assist her while walking, and she uses a wheelchair at the worst of times. In most cases, however, she is capable of (and insists on) walking without support, though she moves slowly and with deliberation.

It is caution, patience, and efficiency that marks Kimiko more than anything else physically. She does not run, rush, or strongly exert herself. Her expressions are largely calm, other emotion showing on her face in only small ways. While she takes care of her appearance, her fine black hair is cut short, and her clothes are usually simple, and she rarely wears any form of jewelry or make up. Her warm brown eyes, however, always shine with interest and optimism.

As a magical girl, Kimiko wears a full suit of gleaming olive and black armor that shines with inner light. Her amulet's design is incorporated into the armor's gorget, which she taps to cause her armor to withdraw. Crackling energy hangs around her as she uses her powers, taking on shapes like that of circuitry. While in her magical girl form, Kimiko abandons much of her restraint, as her armor bolsters her strength and health significantly.
Personality and Relations
Kimiko is intelligent, capable, and even mature- and being held back by her lack of strength and crowded by the people around her causes her to act rather more rashly in order to get the independence she desires. Despite the facade of caution and calm she wears at all times, Kimiko is passionate and active, and makes constant effort to participate in all kinds of things, from clubs at her school, assist with the work of her parents, to her secret work and the infrequent races she takes part in.

There is still much for Kimiko to learn and accomplish, but in time Kimiko is confident that she'll take some major role in her the business of her parents. She has every desire to follow in their footsteps and find their approval, though she is just as desirous to ensure that her name is known independently of theirs- she will inherit and respect their legacy, but she wishes to add to it and expand it, rather than simply maintain it.

Kaoru, Kimiko's younger sister, is not nearly as watched over and coddled as Kimiko, nor are expectations quite as heavily placed upon her. Kimiko is somewhat jealous of the natural freedom Kaoru possesses, for she doesn't have to hide her comings and goings or wild whims as Kimiko might have to, while Kaoru feels that Kimiko has somewhat more attention and love from their parents. There is in truth a bit of rivalry and conflict between them because of this, but when it comes down to it, they enjoy each other's company as much as they fight.

To her teachers, Kimiko is pretty much someone who can do no wrong. She is not just a good student, but the star student, and in truth one of the reasons she has not skipped straight to university already is that having such a pupil reflects well on the school, and so they endeavor to keep her there. As Kimiko is never behind on her studies, any absences or lateness on her part go unmentioned, or are entirely excused by her health concerns.

More than the attention and regard of teachers though, Kimiko enjoys the friendship of her fellow students. She participates in the literature and computer clubs when she has the time and energy to do so, generally taking smaller roles as her capability to attend often depends on her energy.

Hawker
2012-08-31, 10:48 AM
Morie Nashiko, Living Ghost
Character Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=440179)

History:
Nashiko and her fraternal twin brother Masao were born in London, England as the children of respected diplomats. The two were close from birth and attended the same Japanese school in London, although Nashiko always achieved better marks. Masao was more of an artist; Nashiko was a pragmatic realist even at a young age. She seldom smiled or laughed; Masao was the only one who could get her to show teeth.

When their mother was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer the summer of Nashiko's 14th year, the family moved back to their home in Yokohama for treatment and support. After a long, painful period in limbo, the cancer spread to her spine and she passed away shortly thereafter. Nashiko and Masao were left with their father, who stopped working and lost motivation due to grief. The children were transferred to a school in the city and, although grief-stricken, persisted in their studies.

Two years later, several weeks before the twins' 17th birthday, Nashiko had her first interaction with the Mother's agents. She and her brother were walking home from school one evening when they were attacked. The beasts injured and incapacitated Masao, nearly killing him, and snatched Nashiko. They brought her to an abandoned pier and began preparing her to be presented to Mother. Somehow, perhaps because of their sibling link established in-utero, Masao knew exactly where to find them when he came to and struggled to get there. When he saw what was going on, although he did not understand it, he grasped the Cthonic stone from one of the monster's paws and, not being one of the Children himself, died instantly. His sacrifice was not in vain, however, as the stone lost its potency and, absorbing the purety of his life energy, became a form of Celestial Amulet, albeit one altered by his spirit and tainted by its previous form. The beasts retreated from it and left Nashiko to mourn her brother and retrieve it. As far as her grieving father knows, Masao fell off the pier and drowned before his body drifted out to sea.

Not long after obtaining her Amulet, Nashiko discovered her Magical Girl powers and sought to find out more about it. For the first time ever, she neglected her academics in favor of learning more about her significance as a protector of the planet. She eventually met Akai and learned more about Mother, the Surians, and her role as one of the Children.
Personality:
Morie Nashiko is soft-spoken and kindhearted but passionate and serious. Her teenage life has been fairly tragic thus far, and she constantly regrets that her brother died so that she may continue to live. She uses this energy and focuses it toward preventing the deaths and suffering of other people. She has seen death at least twice, and feels its cold touch every time she assumes her ghostly form as Magical Girl.

Although polite and attractive, she has a hard time opening up and making friends. Half of her family has perished as she watched, and she fears nothing more than the deaths of her remaining kin and kith. At school she does not participate actively or socially, but she almost never misses an assignment and, except this past year, always gets good marks. She spends a few hours daily alone after school at the spot where her brother died.

She loves her father Saburo more dearly than any other alive, and often has to take care of him when he neglects himself in grief. He is the only family she has left, so she tries hard to motivate him and keep him healthy, even in seemingly trivial things. She took up the piano after her brother's death, the favorite instrument of both her male relatives.

As a Magical Girl, Nashiko is not a fighter, per se. She does not like to do battle, but rather attempts to minimize the damage and death caused by them. She cannot heal others, but she can protect them well.
Appearance:
Nashiko is short and slight, with long, braided black hair and sad grey eyes on a pale face. She wears white almost exclusively when not in uniform for school, and even then she keeps her blouse and stockings stark. She seldom wears makeup, and when she does it is very subtle. Making Nashiko smile is difficult at best.

When in Magical Girl mode, Nashiko's clothes become a long, flowing white Kimono that hides her legs and feet. It is impossible to even see her legs move as she glides from place to place, fluctuating in and out of corporeality. Her black hair unbraids itself and sticks out, disheveled and constantly in motion like flickering shadows, and her eyes glaze over and shine like polished silver. Her Celestial amulet is a cracked, spherical red aventurine stone on a silver chain she wears on her forehead.

Green Bean
2012-08-31, 11:26 AM
Susumu Jones, the Token Guy
Character Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436166)

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-31, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up, NK. You're an obliging stalkee.

Lykan
2012-08-31, 01:02 PM
Hoshino Yuki, Starlight Princess
Character Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=433736)
Arondight's Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=434370)
Background
Yuki has always had trouble interacting with people, preferring the company of a pen and paper to anyone outside of her immediate family. Her generally shy disposition was only exacerbated by the knowledge that she felt she was born wrong as a result of being a transgirl, yet to be out to anyone but herself. These two things combined resulted in the girl being a borderline hikkikomori, leaving only to fill the obligatory amount of school time before rushing off home to her room to draw (or sew, a skill she picked up from being required to attend a stagecraft club). Around the time she started middle school, her parents moved abroad for job-related reasons and left the care of Yuki’s two younger sisters, Nanami and Miyu, to her. Oddly, it was a task she took to with great fervor, home-cooking meals (and managing to find methods to get fresh groceries without leaving the house), cleaning up the house, and comforting them when they missed their parents, primarily by giving them things she’s created under the guise of being gifts from their parents.

The creatures of the court matrix are characters that Yuki had drawn in the past that she decided to give life.

Yuki is afraid of coming out to anyone because, in addition to being fearful of harassment from those around her, she fears that bullies may attempt to harm her sisters for being related to her. She also fears that her uncle might find her unfit to take care of them and remove them from her care.

Since becoming a magical girl, she’s going outside as a girl more and more often, yet no one seems to have found her out.

Becoming a Magical Girl
The fateful day that Yuki received her celestial amulet was meaningful to the girl in more ways than one. In addition to marking the date that she joined the effort to combat the Mother, it was also the first day on which she could sneak out of her house dressed in girl clothes and enjoy some time out in the world as a member of her own gender. After waiting for Nanami and Miyu to be picked up by friends, she dressed up and headed out to Motomachi, her heart aflutter, for a day of sampling clothes and sweets. Unfortunately, the girl got so caught up in the excitement of it all she stayed out all the way until sundown, requiring her to get back home as soon as possible to avoid being caught by her sisters.

Despite her rush, she did pick up an odd detail about her return trip: a strange, stray dog with a silvery band in its mouth kept appearing to her, yipping and bouncing about in the alleyways she passed. The dog seemed to be trying its damndest to get her attention, but Yuki ignored it. Getting back home was more important than heeding the will of some random mutt. There was a decent chance the thing was probably a hallucination anyway, with the degree of exhaustion she experienced from her outing.

After sneaking back inside with neither girl inside, Yuki crept back to her room, only to find the dog laying on her bed within. Stifling a yelp, the girl tried the shoo the creature from her apartment, only for it to have it start talking to her, speaking of an evil alien entity threatening to destroy humanity and a squad of magical girls setting out to stop it and the monsters that wander the night kidnapping children and… It all kinda meshed together into this one weird blur in the bewildered girl’s head.

Before she fainted, anyway.

When she came to, the dog was still there, much to her surprise. After introducing herself as Akai, she apologized for giving the girl such a shock, and re-explained the conflict between Mother, the Surians, and ultimate fate of the world if the demented creature would have her way. After requesting that she take up arms against the monstrocity, the dog-creature offered the silver band to Yuki, looking up at her with hopeful eyes. A brief moment to look in the direction of her sister’s rooms was all the girl needed to snatch it up, before inspecting it in the light of the setting sun.

“When do I start?”
Appearance
Yuki’s attire tends to vary considerably depending on which gender she is currently presenting herself as, as well as if she is currently manifesting her Starlight Princess identity. In the matter of more consistent qualities, her build is tall, lithe, and lacking in curves, and her face is oval-shaped with sharp facial features. Her eyes are a dark brown, and her raven hair reaches down to her shoulders.

When presenting herself as male (which is, unfortunately, a lot of the time), Yuki will probably be wearing the navy blazer and slacks of her school uniform, with a white, collared shirt underneath. Her hair is liable to be tied back into a ponytail as to draw attention away from its length. In all likelihood, Yuki’s bound to look a bit gloomy and cold when dressed like this, an indicator of her generally unhappy state.

Yuki’s attire has a propensity to be a bit more varied when she presents herself as female (which is likely how she will introduce herself to the other Children, assuming the situation allows for it), although she seems to have a preference for frilly, pastel blouses and shorter pleated skirts, as well as darker, knee-high boots. Her hair has a greater chance of being lose while she’s dressed this way, although she may occasionally add a hair band to her outfit. While presenting herself this way she is also likely to be wearing a pair of rimmed glasses with fake lenses, in the hope that it would help disguise her appearance from people whom she might know. Her disposition seems considerably lighter when she is like this, although she’s prone to appearing a little jumpy and nervous, especially around people she doesn’t know very well.

Taking up her identity as the Starlight Princess shifts her appearance a bit more dramatically. In addition to lengthening her hair down to the small of her back, she also shrinks a few inches in height and appears to become much more curved, mainly thanks to having her body change to that of a biological girl. Her attire is rather magnificent in appearance, consisting of a long, frilly, brilliantly white dress (something akin to lolita in style). Her hands and feet become clad in a lustrous pair of silver gauntlets and boots, with a soft blue light flowing within the cracks in the armor. Her head is adorned with something akin to a sallet helmet, forged of the same shiny metal as her gauntlets and boots. The visor of her helm resembles that of a traditional knight helmet, although it appears to be made of a band of bluish light instead of metal. In her magical girl form, Yuki seems to be a bit more serenely happy and playful, to the point where she might occasionally indulge in acting with dramatic flair when performing great feats of magic or skill.
Personality
As mentioned above, her personality has a tendency to shift a little depending on how she’s presenting herself, although there is definitely an undercurrent of something more consistent concerning her behavior. Yuki is typically very quiet and standoffish with those she doesn’t know very well, preferring to be left alone if she can help it. Despite this, though, she’s a rather caring individual, and will often to do what she can to help people in need, even if she gets nothing in return. These two qualities tend to manifest in unison, as her preferred method of aiding others is through more subtle means (unless she’s in her magical girl form, as summoning a giant dragon to kill monsters lacks that delicate touch she would normally prefer to use).
Important Relationships
Mr. and Mrs. Hoshino
Yuki’s mother and father. An automotive designer and engineer for Nissan, respectively, working abroad while leaving Yuki in charge of taking care of her younger siblings. The two can be a little absentminded at times, but Yuki still has a great deal of respect for their intelligence and generosity.

Kaito Nakamura
Yuki’s maternal uncle. A boisterous man working as a local mechanic, and under instructions from his sister to occasionally check up on the Hoshino children. Yuki isn’t too fond of him, as he’s prone to acting like a bit of a pig and often tries to encourage Yuki to engage in more “manly” activities alongside him, rather than stay hidden away up in her room.

Nanami Hoshino
The elder of Yuki’s two younger sisters. A rather energetic and offbeat child that enjoys playing bass guitar in her room and searching the city for evidence of aliens, ghosts, and other paranormal entities with her friends. Is rather impetuous and stubborn, and views her elder “brother” as being overly-priggish and a bit of a wet blanket.

Miyu Hoshino
The younger of Yuki’s sisters. Miyu is quite quiet and shy, preferring to keep the company of birds in the park or the neighbor’s pets to most other people. She seems to be almost afraid of her eldest sibling, falsely taking the frown she is prone to wearing as a sign of perpetual irritation or anger. Because of this, the girl does her best to avoid Yuki whenever possible, sneaking around the house while her elder sister keeps herself cooped up in her room.

Neon Knight
2012-08-31, 02:33 PM
IC is here!
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254399)Post away, and ask me if you need more info to post.

Okay, now that everyone has posted in the OOC (including my stalker), a few orders of business! First, let's talk about the Toughness track. Fights in MnM can be kind of quick and viscous by default. Several games I have been in and DMed have just dealt with it, and several games have made some houserules to ease the effect. For this game, I want to go for a slightly more drawn style of fight, so I'm going to propose a set of changes that are already in use with another MnM game I'm in (that some of you might be familiar with):

Toughness saves now are 10+damage modifier.

Non-Lethal Table-
Fail: Bruised
Fail by 5 or More: Bruised x2
Fail by 10 or more: Staggered + Bruised
Fail by 15 or more: Unconscious

Lethal Table-
Fail: Injured + Bruised
Fail by 5 or more: Injured x2 + Bruised x2
Fail by 10 or more: Staggered + Injured + Bruised
Fail by 15 or more: Dying + Unconscious

Couple of things to note:
First, x2 basically means you get two of that condition. The reason for this is that otherwise, being able to hit the lower effects on the table will take some time with the new toughness saves, plus it does keep some scaling in. So it speeds up combat, and means that hitting harder or rolling a bit worse will still have a noticeable effect.

Second, if you fail by 10 or more and already have the Staggered condition, you simply receive an extra Injured or Bruised condition instead.

If this is acceptable, we'll use this instead of the standard Toughness damage tables.

___

Next, I'd like to propose a few connections between characters. For reference, here is a list of everyone and their important NPCs:

Players and Important NPCs

Jones Susumu 14 (Green Bean)
- Jones Misako, Sister (13)
- Jones Akiha, Mother (Early 30's)
- Inoue Kaori, Cousin (14)
- Hashimoto Noboru, Grandfather (Old)

Hoshino Yuki, 15 (Lykan)
- The Hoshinos, Absent Parents (Thirties?)
- Hoshino Nanami, Younger Sister (14?)
- Hoshino Miyu, Little Sister (13?)
- Nakamura Kaito, Uncle (Late Twenties/Early Thirties?)

Aoki Kimiko 16 (Vael)
- Aoki Jun, Father (Just Under the Hill)
- Aoki Noriko, Mother (Just Over It)
- Aoki Kaoru, Sister (14)

Morie Nashiko, 17 (Hawker)
- Morie Saburo, Father (Late Thirties/Forties?)

Proposed Connections:
Hashimoto Noboru (Green Bean) and Aoki Jun (Vael) have met through work before and are on amiable terms. Jun's company provides electronics and semi-conductors for Noboru's firm.

Aoki Kaoru (Vael) is friends with Inoue Kaori (Green Bean) and to a lesser degree Jones Misako (Green Bean) because of their families business deals. Kaoru and Kaori share a mutual interest in polite society, graces and manners, as well as both being in the Archery Club.

Hoshino Nanami (Lykan) is friends with Jones Misako (Green Bean) through their mutual interest in similar clubs. Misako is typically too responsible to accompany Nanami on her more "adventurous" forays, but otherwise they're together fairly often.

Inoue Kaori (Green Bean) and Hoshino Nanami (Lykan) are in the same class, but have a strong mutual dislike of one another, Nanami disdaining Kaori as "stuffy" and Kaori considering Nanami a hooligan.

Hoshino Nanami (Lykan) plays bass guitar, and has heard that Jones Susumu (Green Bean) is an excellent guitar player, but she's never asked Misako about him or approached him because she's also heard about his fights and is a little scared of him.

Morie Saburo (Hawker) and Nakamura Kaito (Lykan) are regulars at the same bar, and are kind-of sort-of drinking buddies.

Are these acceptable? Do you like them? These are just suggestions, and are by no means the only way we can go about it. Can you think of any others to suggest?
___

Also, I plan to have a guide up on common monsters of the Mother that you'll have likely encountered and defeated, hopefully before you guys actually end up fighting.

Green Bean
2012-08-31, 02:48 PM
The character interconnections you've got look great to me.

The changes to Toughness look like they'd get rid of a lot of the swingy-ness of damage powers, which sounds good to me. On the other hand, it does seem like it'd make non-Toughness based powers more powerful in comparison. I'm fine with whatever we go with, though.

AmberVael
2012-08-31, 02:59 PM
Non-toughness save powers are generally balanced via the higher cap on saves than DCs. Many of the worst offenders also have scaling failure charts like toughness does.

In any case, I'm fine with those changes. That whole quote does look strangely familiar somehow... :smalltongue:

Relationship suggestions make sense to me too.

Hawker
2012-08-31, 05:05 PM
That connection seems good, and yeah, daddy Morie is 41. As for the toughness saves, it seems pretty good. Nashi and Yuki should not have associated much yet, though. IC post soon, I just gotta cut some steel beams real quick first :D

Lykan
2012-08-31, 05:27 PM
The relationships and toughness save stuff look good to me! I imagined Nanami and Miyu to be a bit younger but it doesn't really matter. Also, I think Kaito would be about 29.

Poor little Miyu. Too shy to talk to anyone but ducks. :smallfrown:

Neon Knight
2012-09-01, 02:25 PM
Poor little Miyu. Too shy to talk to anyone but ducks. :smallfrown:

That's not true. Sometimes, she feels brave enough to talk to the koi! (Not the squirrels, though. They bite her fingers and steal all her bread crumbs.)

___

So, I wrote that Monster Guide I was talking about. I decided to write it as dialogue, since I was tired of writing encyclopedia entries, and thought that it might help to display some of the Surians' character. In the end I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not. Tell me if you like it, and if it is helpful in getting a picture of what exactly you've been beating the crap out of during the night.

The Surian's Field Guide to Monsters

Akai
Kuma
Tsurugi

Monster Overview

T: Alright, listen up. The Mother is not to be taken lightly, nor are her creatures. She has an army of monsters, each of which is specifically bred to hunt you down and destroy anything that gets in their way. If you underestimate them, it will be the last mistake you make.

A: What Tsurugi means is that you have to be careful, and know what you're going up against. The Mother has a large number of different engineered species at her command, and she has the ability to change them to adapt to new needs and circumstances. If you're observant and aware, you've got a good chance against whatever you end up fighting.

K: The Mother's creatures seem to be divided into a few broad breeds, each with their own characteristics suited to a specific purpose. These breeds are the Plain/Common, Recon, War, Support, and Hearth. We've observed the mother on several different planets and time and time again these patterns arise.

A: Another thing to keep in mind is that the Mother's creatures will not injure you. Because of your value to the Mother, she won't let them hurt you permanently. Most of them have the ability to "pull" their blows and inflict non-lethal attacks upon you, and they'll try to knock you out or disable you so they can transport you back to the Mother. You have to remember that this only applies to you, "the Children". If they find any other people, they might hurt or kill them, so you have to be careful and watch out for normal people.

K: So far, you're the only Children we know of, but if you meet any others, the same applies to them.

T: We do not need any martyrs. Remember that you do not need to sacrifice yourself, and to do so is dangerous for the whole planet. Fall back when you're overwhelmed, and keep yourselves from captivity whenever possible, but do not risk everyone for one person. The lives of many outweigh the lives of few, or the one, and you do not even need to fear death at their hands.

A: It won't necessarily come to that.

T: They should be prepared if it does.

Common Breeds

K: So, to return to the real subject, the first and most prolific pattern of monster you'll fight is the Common Breed. They're the most basic and simple of the Mother's creatures. They tend to have very average capabilities, often somewhat below yours. They're the cannon fodder of her forces, trying to make up for quality with quantity. They're pretty much animals, so don't expect tactics or strategy unless they're led by another breed.

A: They're pretty scrawny, and often look both organic and technological. Most of them go down very easily and don't hit too hard in return. You shouldn't worry too much about them, but don't let yourself get swarmed. You need to decide whether they can be safely ignored for a while or need to be prioritized first.

T: Defeat by many stings is still defeat. A boulder may outweigh a single grain of rice, but many grains may lift even a mountain.

K: And I thought you weren't paying attention when we went over Earth proverbs, Tsurugi.

Snarks

K: Snarks are the most common of the Mother's monsters, period. They're below average in almost every regard. Individually, they're not a threat at all. They almost always come in groups, though. Snarks have no special abilities on their own, but can develop them over time as they get older. They can evolve into more advanced breeds over a period of weeks, and more highly evolved and powerful creatures can teach or instill them with new abilities. Weak alone, but powerful in groups or with leadership and support. They usually have a melee attack, but sometimes they have a ranged attack instead.

A: Snarks are a bit like Earth hermit crabs. They look a bit like rubbery amoebas with numerous pseudo appendages, rudimentary organs, and body parts suspended in a kind of clear jelly or slime, along with some electronic components and circuitry. The thing is, once they land on Earth, they use materials from the environment to build or a shell, which is really more like a suit of armor or exoskeleton. It's kind of like Kimiko's transformation, where her armor protects her and lets her move more easily. The shells usually mimic an earth animal like a dog or cat, turning them from slow crawlers into relatively quick quadrupeds. Unshelled Snarks are basically helpless and harmless, so only worry about the shelled ones. Snarks can build their shells out of nearly anything, and during the day they tend to nestle or burrow in an environment similar to what their shell looks like, so they can blend in during the day while they sleep... or at night, when they sometimes wait in ambush.

T: Maintain discipline and purpose, and such fodder will not bother you. But become distracted or confused, and even these might be your downfall.

A: So as long as you don't become distracted by melodrama and remain optimistic, you'll be alright!

T: *growls*

Boojum

K: A-alright, let's continue! Next up is the Boojum! Boojums are much like Snarks, except actually dangerous on their own. Boojums apparently arise when the Mother realizes that her enemies are ignoring Snarks in favor of higher value targets. Then, she starts sneaking Boojums into Snark packs to take advantage of the fact that they'll likely get mistaken for another Snark. Boojums have all the capabilities of Snarks, but are tougher, faster, and most notably, hit much harder, just as hard as one of you could. Boojums don't require any special tactics. They're just a nasty surprise when you've been blowing through weak Snarks and suddenly take a much stronger hit than you were expecting. Boojums sometimes do use Snarks for cover, so hitting a Boojum led pack with an area attack to remove some bodies can be beneficial.

A: They way to tell between a normal Snark and a Boojum is to look at the joints of the shell. Boojums are black on the inside, and sometimes leak something that looks like motor oil from the joints. Snarks are clear on the inside, and you can see flashes of the inner jelly at the joints of the armor sometimes.

T: They are an enemy designed to take advantage of complacency. Do not let contempt rule you reason, and you will see through their deception.

Hearth Breeds

K: Hearth breeds are a defensive pattern designed to protect nests where the Mother's forces maintain sleeping quarters, spawning grounds, and prison chambers here on Earth. A nest is a major target, which will often have numerous creatures from many breeds present, resting, repairing, and refueling, as well as the more permanent garrison of Hearth breeds. Hearth Monsters also sometimes accompany other breeds into battle, to provide support and protection.

A: Hearth Monsters have more tricks up their sleeves in comparison to Common Monsters. They're more intelligent, can form basic battle plans, and often have abilities that allow them to disrupt enemies and protect allies. They're tough and sturdy, but often limited in mobility. They tend to have a mix of melee attacks and ranged attacks, and hit fairly hard.

Testudo

K: The Testudo is an adaptable species often found guarding a nest or accompanying a more important monster in the field. They're tough and rugged, resistant to most forms of attack. There are several varieties of Testudo, identifiable by color. Red Testudo are Snappers, and specialize in melee combat. They have a powerful charge, strong jaws that can bite or grab, and are very steady on their feet. Yellow Testudo, referred to as Strikers, have pores on their back through which they can shoot club or stick-like projectiles made of bone and metal. These rotate in flight, cracking the target with one of the ends for a rather painful hit. Blue Testudo specialize in protecting others, blocking hits from near and afar, and taking on punishment themselves. We call them Wardens. They're hard nuts to crack.

A: Testudo look a bit like Earth turtles. They've got four stocky legs supporting a large shelled body, although the Testudo's shell is more boxy than round. Most of the body is organic, although there are obvious metal plates and circuits on the shell, and the head is a round metal sphere filled with sensors. Testudo often have brightly colored lines along the side of their body, which display the color of their type. Testudo are tough, but have no mobility other than their own feet, and they aren't particularly speedy on those.

T: They are dangerous when you are forced to go through them, but trivial when you can go around them. Do not be afraid to avoid them if that is the superior tactic.

Bufo

K: Oh, ugh, these things. Bufo are a nasty surprise, and a bit unusual for a Hearth Breed. Still, they're typically only deployed to defend more powerful creatures or to defend nests. Bufo are powerful jumpers, capable of leaping great distances and eights. They leap into battle bearing other, less mobile creatures, granting them a degree of mobility. Bufo have large pores on their back, leading to membranous sacs within their body. Smaller creatures like snarks crawl into these sacks to be carried, while larger or stronger creatures just cling to the Bufo's back. Bufo can also swallow smaller monsters and spit them out to project them great distances. Bufo are used to rapidly reinforce a threatened location or to respond to an unexpected attack. Sometimes, they're also used to defensively ambush incoming enemies, with another creature spotting for a Bufo to land right on top of the unsuspecting enemy, disgorging a small horde to engage them rapidly. They're decent fighters in their own right, too, hitting hard up close and capable of giving a decent chase.

A: Bufo resemble Earth toads, if Earth toads were giant cyborg monstrosities larger than trucks. Their limbs are mainly mechanical, and capable of switching between a quadruped jumping posture and a bipedal fighting posture. Their skin is tough and leathery, and usually dull and dark in color. They have no eyes or sensory organs, depending upon other Breeds to sense and direct for them. They're almost like a steed, or a living vehicle, rather than a creature in their own right.

T: They may be senseless, but they're still a threat. Deal with them swiftly, or better yet, deal with those that control and see for them, and watch as they become blind and helpless.

Recon Breeds

K: The primary purpose of the Recon Breed is to find Children, learn the lay of the land, and site new nests to allow other monsters to be created and supported. Don't think of them as mere scouts, though. Recon Breeds are the frontline of the Mother's army, and are tough, capable fighters. They often operate alone or in smaller groups than other Breeds, and are individually smarter and tougher. They have great senses, good mobility, camouflage and stealth abilities, and round it out by being just as tough and powerful as most other types, if not more so. Many of them can also burrow, fly, swim, or leap great distances, allowing them to pursue you much better than a common Snark could.

A: You'll often encounter a Recon Breed leading a group composed of other Breeds. Recon Breeds are among the most organic of the Mother's creatures in appearance. They will display very little cybernetics or metal body parts, instead being made of tissue, bone, and chitin. Their lack of artificial augmentation doesn't make them any less dangerous, though.

T: Their most dangerous capability is their intelligence. They can plan attacks and ambushes, counteract your own plans, and know when to retreat and fall back. They almost never attack futilely or alone, gathering as many of their fellow monsters as they can before engaging you. The will follow you great distances merely to observe you, and can make deductions based on what they observe. Almost all of them can read human writing and understand human speech, and many can use human tools and devices. They are priority targets.

Clawed/Pistol Snarks

K: Clawed Snarks, also called Pistol Snarks, are evolved forms of Snark that have come under the influence of the Recon Breed. Clawed Snarks change physically, losing their old shell and growing a new organic one somewhat like a lobster's. The most distinguishing feature between a Clawed Snark and a Common One is that one of the limbs has turned into a large pincer, arranged in two parts. One part is a broad, immobile "anvil" pincer, while the other is a "hammer" pincer, capable of moving backward into a 90 degree position relative to the anvil pincer. The claw then closes extremely fast, snapping together and producing a very loud noise, an intense light, and a large pressure wave. This pistol claw can come in several different types, producing a deafening and stunning version, a ranged attack version, a stunning version, an area of effect version, and even a potent bomb version that produces a pressure blast so powerful it destroys the Snark and almost everything around it.

A: Pistol Snarks can't make melee attacks with their pistol claw, but they usually have a smaller claw for close encounters. They can only use their claw in short bursts, as the muscles in the claw cannot take too much strain, and the claw itself can get too hot from successive uses. Pistol Snarks look a bit like a crayfish the size of a large dog, with an odd, hunched posture halfway between biped and quadruped.

K: They're also pretty fast an mobile, capable of swimming at great speeds and jumping impressive distances. They're only a bit smarter than normal Snarks, though.

T: They are much more dangerous than a typical Snark, although much more uncommon. Use caution

Clawed Seeker

K: Like bigger, meaner, fully bipedal Pistol Snarks, although these are purpose bred monsters, not adapted or grown up Snarks. Seeker Claws can be used for a powerful melee attack as well as having the functionality of nearly all varieties of pistol claw, making them versatile and adaptable. They're faster than Pistol Snarks in every regard, and much smarter. Some of their limbs have human-like hands, allowing them to manipulate objects and tools like a human would.

A: They may seem intimidating, but ultimately they're not a match for you one on one. Just keep it up, and they'll surely fold.

T: Dangerous enemies, and you must not make the mistake of thinking of them as simple beasts. They have much low cunning and even some cleverness.

War Breeds

K: War Breeds are meant for combat, specifically, for fighting things that are not Children. War Breeds are meant for destruction and death, and have a great amount of lethal weaponry. Many also have non-lethal or stun options for their war gear, but typically they are used when collateral damage and subtlety are not a concern. You're unlikely to see them. If you do, one thing to keep in mind is that War Breeds tend to focus on area and ranged attacks, and lots of them. Don't engage them in environments where stray shots could do harm to innocents.

A: War Breeds are the most technological of the Mother's Army. They are often an organic brain slaved to an entirely mechanical body bristling with guns, lasers, cannons, rockets, and other dangerous weapons. They will still target you with only nonlethal attacks, but they are often instructed to attack other targets first with their deadliest weaponry. They're pretty tough and quick too. They're pretty unimaginative and simple, though. Snarks are often more clever.

T: You are unlikely to see any, but if you do, tell us immediately and fall back. The Mother typically prefers stealth, leaving the whole society in the dark as the Children are kidnapped one by one. The appearance of a War Breed marks an escalation, potentially a very dangerous one. For now, though, we will discuss other topics.

Mystic Breeds

K: To tell you the truth, this whole "magic" thing is a bit strange and new to us. We don't really understand it. Mystic Breeds are those creatures of the Mother that can use magic. Thus, we don't really understand them all that well either. We know they have strange powers, and typically act as support role, boosting and healing other monsters while also launching strange and powerful attacks that work through mechanisms we don't understand. They can do blatantly paranormal things we can't explain, and in general are just beyond our current understanding. They're a headache.

A: Target them first, as they'll add a lot to the power of any force attacking you. Luckily, they're easy to spot. Their bodies appear to be built at least partially out of what we would call "solid light." It appears to be simple luminescence, but it acts like a solid and has a definite shape. This "hard light" often comprises a portion of the Mystic's body, much like how cybernetic limbs are common among other types. They tend to have little technological parts to them, and are more alien than some other breeds which might mimic Earth animals more closely. They're also extremely intelligent, rivaling the Recon Breed in brainpower.

T: We cannot tell you much about Mystics Breeds, as they seem to change with every invasion the Mother performs. As you identify Mystic Breeds, we might be able to analyze them and come up with recommendations for you, but for now, we are flying blind. Exercise extreme caution around them for the time being. You will certainly see them soon.

Chthonic Stones

K: Chthonic Stones are the Mother's counterpart to the Celestial Amulets. They are either the source of mystical power, or a focus for existing mystical power - we're not sure which. Chthonic Stones can be used by an intelligent creature, although if you are not a Child or a Monster of the Mother... you won't survive the process.

*silence*

T: Destroy any Chthonic Stone you come across. Do not try to use them. The risk is too great.

A: ...much like a Celestial Amulet, the Chthonic Stone has a different effect depending on the species that uses it. For many Monsters, it augments their existing abilities and grants them new mystical ones, but slowly eats away at them while they use it. Even so, a Monster with a Chthonic Stone is dangerous. Typically, only the more intelligent Recon and Mystic species will have one.

T: That, or a Dark Child.

Dark Children

K: Yes, it is possible that you might encounter a Dark Child. Either an alien that the Mother has sent down from her ship, or a human she has captured and indoctrinated.

T: They will be the most dangerous enemies that you face. We cannot speculate as to what their powers might be, but they will likely exceed all but the most powerful of Mother's Monsters, and with a twisted and tortured intellect commanding it. You must show no mercy with them. They are lost.

A:...that isn't necessarily true. It might be possible to help them.

T: Akai has tried this before. She has failed. Do not let your compassion destroy your sense. There is too much at risk, and a Dark Child is too dangerous to risk it.

K: We don't really know whether they can be helped or not. We've never really had a shot. I say we leave it up to these humans. It's their planet, and their lives. We're here to help them, but ultimately, it is they who will decide what risks they will take.

The monsters described above are just some of the ones you'll end up facing. So that's something to look forward to: more freaks wanting to smack you in the face.

Hawker
2012-09-01, 03:46 PM
That's so cool, never second-guess yourself when making information more fun to read. Would I be correct in assuming that the Common and Hearth breeds would be (or have proven to be) more vulnerable to psychic attacks like possession or mental blast than the Recon and Mystics?

Also, Nashiko's face at that awkward silence.

Lykan
2012-09-01, 07:42 PM
Ack, stupid squirrels. Leave Miyu alone. :smallfrown:

Yay monsters! Monster stuff is always cool to read. Especially in this format. Also, I knew there were going to be dark magical girls... Time to wait for that dramatic moment where we find that we're fighting friends and family. :smalleek:

Also also: Yay! More freaks!

Neon Knight
2012-09-02, 10:04 PM
That's so cool, never second-guess yourself when making information more fun to read. Would I be correct in assuming that the Common and Hearth breeds would be (or have proven to be) more vulnerable to psychic attacks like possession or mental blast than the Recon and Mystics?

Generally, although there is potential for variation in species and specific individuals.

Neon Knight
2012-09-09, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna give Lykan a bit more time to reply in case she wants to, and then proceed tomorrow.

Green Bean
2012-09-10, 05:52 PM
There's been a death in my family, and I have to drive out for the funeral. I'll be gone a week or so. My internet access will be spotty at best, so while I will probably be able to check in occasionally, I'm probably not going to be able to post. Feel free to NPC me.

Hawker
2012-09-11, 12:19 PM
Condolences, Bean. Drive safe.

Neon Knight
2012-09-11, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. You have my condolences, and I wish you well.

___

I'm sorry I was a bit late with that post. Things just didn't shape out the way I wanted them to. To make up for it, I'm pushing us along rather swiftly, but don't worry, you'll get in-depth time with each-other and your NPCs.

By the way, for the most part I plan to do as much of the rolling myself as possible to keep things speedy, but I will post them in a dice rolling thread I will create so you guys can see the process. However, in MnM, there are just times when I need input from you the players about rolling. For example, when to use Hero point re-rolls. Obviously, if you roll a 1 on a Toughness save at an important point in a fight, you might want to re-roll that and I would ask you about it, but there are other times when it might not be so obvious. If you could create a list of conditions where you would want me to use a hero-point re-roll or ask you if you want to use a hero point re-roll, that might be beneficial to the process. Just a suggestion, not a mandate.

Lykan
2012-09-13, 04:45 AM
I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to post. I'm suffering the repercussions of poor time management at a school that assigns a lot of course work. Assuming all goes well today and I'm not unconscious when I get home I'll post something tonight.

Neon Knight
2012-09-15, 12:58 PM
Seems we've hit a bit of slowdown. I know what Green Bean and Amber's situation is, and Lykan seems like she's hard pressed. How about you, Hawker? You need more information before you can reply? Currently dealing with RL as well?

Hawker
2012-09-15, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I just got a new job and have been pretty busy. Give me a bit, I should have something posted this evening.

Neon Knight
2012-09-19, 12:03 PM
I'll presume Hawker is still tangled up in real life. We'll advance a little bit and give him a mite bit more time before proceeding.

Lykan
2012-09-19, 11:21 PM
I kinda want to have Yuki call Nashiko "Ghostbutt" but I think the whole thing where students treat their upperclassmen with respect would probably keep her from doing so.

Neon Knight
2012-09-23, 09:51 PM
Hey, everyone. I've been busy and occupied the last few days, and I assume some of you have been too, judging by the lack of response. My last post was slightly vague, so if you want me to elaborate on some point to give you more material to post with, I can do so. Here's hoping that you are all doing well and that we can get moving forward soon.

Lykan
2012-09-23, 09:57 PM
Hey, everyone. I've been busy and occupied the last few days, and I assume some of you have been too, judging by the lack of response. My last post was slightly vague, so if you want me to elaborate on some point to give you more material to post with, I can do so. Here's hoping that you are all doing well and that we can get moving forward soon.

Ah yeah, I've been a bit busy but I really should have had time to post. Since it's a point that's been brought up, though, I don't suppose it can be elaborated on that Aron's seeing anything in the way of structures and the like around the nest, or is it all pretty much underground?

Hawker
2012-09-23, 11:29 PM
I kinda want to have Yuki call Nashiko "Ghostbutt" but I think the whole thing where students treat their upperclassmen with respect would probably keep her from doing so.

Remember that in case Nashiko ever ends up reading Yuki's mind when she's fighting that urge...

Lykan
2012-09-24, 12:11 AM
Remember that in case Nashiko ever ends up reading Yuki's mind when she's fighting that urge...

Ooh, I should think of internal nicknames for her to give all the characters, then! Akai can be "Hachiko", Kuma can be "Fuzzball", Tsurugi can be "Commander Buttface", Kimiko can be "RDJ" or "The Demonica", and Susumu can be "Short Stuff." Or "Metal Smurf." Or "Gimiln, Master of the Musical Axe."

Actually, Yuki may call him those anyway. >.>

Neon Knight
2012-09-24, 06:32 PM
Ah yeah, I've been a bit busy but I really should have had time to post. Since it's a point that's been brought up, though, I don't suppose it can be elaborated on that Aron's seeing anything in the way of structures and the like around the nest, or is it all pretty much underground?

There are not any structures of buildings per-say. Perhaps thickets and growths of unusual foliage, but otherwise it appears to be entirely underground and inside the hills.

Neon Knight
2012-10-02, 01:14 PM
Yay posts.

Hope this pace works out for everyone. It isn't the quickest, but most of us seem to have plenty of other concerns to occupy our time. I think it will work out will so long as everyone stays interested and committed.

I'm sensing that we're about ready to start the actual attack, but would like some IC posts to that effect before just saying "you guys fight now rawr."

Neon Knight
2012-10-07, 09:56 PM
So, hey, looks like we had a bit of an inadvertent hiatus there. Hope everyone is doing alright.

Lykan
2012-10-08, 09:36 PM
My internet's been gone since Saturday morning. I'm posting from school right now. I'm doing my best to chew on the internet-giving people to make sure it comes back soon but that's mainly why I haven't posted. Sorry. .-.

Neon Knight
2012-10-10, 01:02 PM
Ah, I see. Well, that can't be helped. Sorry to hear that, it certainly doesn't sound very fun for you.

Neon Knight
2012-10-14, 05:42 AM
I was hoping Lykan would post; seems like she's still occupied. I'll post later today to move us along.

Lykan
2012-10-14, 11:56 AM
I can post! I just need to catch up on everything, sorry. x.x

Neon Knight
2012-10-16, 05:40 AM
Sorry for the lack of post; last two days have been a little busy, and last night my internet crapped out on me. Today I should get the post up.

Hawker
2012-10-22, 12:03 AM
How do you mean "unguarded?" As in we can get to them without a problem, or it's only undefended once we get to it? I'm posting under the assumption that we can get to the entrance Nashiko saw before, but the edit button is always there if this is a problem.

Neon Knight
2012-10-24, 08:52 PM
In the sense of, you can reach the hole without any enemies imposing themselves between you.

Neon Knight
2012-10-26, 01:11 PM
Post is up! Hope you're all doing well and can reply soon. :smallsmile:

Neon Knight
2012-10-28, 10:29 PM
"If we're family, I'm pretty sure these guys collectively represent that one cousin you have that never leaves the house and looks at lewd anime fanart of little girls."

I promise that if the alien utters the words "waifu", "moe", or "kawaii", you may nuke the site from orbit.

Neon Knight
2012-10-31, 11:32 AM
Gonna give Hawker and Vael a poke.

Neon Knight
2012-11-04, 11:34 AM
Post coming soon, sorry for the delay.

Neon Knight
2012-11-04, 06:55 PM
Post is up. Hopefully, I can get the next one out quicker.

Also, I just realized that Susumu gets called short stuff, when he has a full inch on Kimiko in terms of height.

Lykan
2012-11-04, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but there's like a four inch difference in the average height of girls and boys in Japan. Kimiko is two inches below the national average, but Susumu is five below. So I think he fits better for the title of "short stuff."

He also seems like he'd be more likely to react to the nickname. :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2012-11-07, 08:13 PM
I'm not short, I'm just little-boned.

Neon Knight
2012-11-13, 03:19 PM
Aron, get up into the air. Don't let the snappers get too close. Take out the things that can actually reach you before you get back to your fun, okay? I don't want you getting too hurt.

Yuki sounds less like Arondight's liege and more like his mom. Next she'll be reminding him to wear a scarf before going out to smite evil when it starts getting cold.

Lykan
2012-11-13, 03:25 PM
Yuki sounds less like Arondight's liege and more like his mom. Next she'll be reminding him to wear a scarf before going out to smite evil when it starts getting cold.

Well they are her creations. <.< She cares about them.

And don't go fooling around with that. Space alien metal dragon colds are terrible. You end up sneezing lightning everywhere.

Neon Knight
2012-11-14, 05:03 PM
Post is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

AmberVael
2012-11-14, 05:08 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

I think I'll post when it's Kimiko's turn, and not before then, because posting just for initiative leads to rather empty posts.

Green Bean
2012-11-14, 06:51 PM
I'll be doing likewise; it doesn't make sense to react until my character can react.

Neon Knight
2012-11-14, 07:06 PM
That's fine. I do have a dice thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14219433#post14219433) here if you would like to put your rolls in a separate thread. Up to you, though.

Neon Knight
2012-11-15, 08:06 PM
Looks like Hawker gets to go before Monstery Dude.

Lykan
2012-11-16, 06:09 AM
I'll do the same as everyone else because of peer pressure it's a good idea.

Neon Knight
2012-11-16, 07:44 AM
Yuki also goes before Monstery Dude.

Hawker
2012-11-17, 08:28 PM
So we're waiting on me, then... I won't be able to get my post in until tomorrow night, I think. Sorry about that.

Neon Knight
2012-11-18, 05:59 AM
Okay. Thanks for letting us know.

Hawker
2012-11-20, 12:21 AM
Again, whoops. I'll throw something up before I go to bed tonight, for real this time. Been busy, sorry.

Neon Knight
2012-11-20, 07:55 AM
Well, we're headed for Thanksgiving anyway, so a slowdown was expected. still, if you could get that done ASAP, I would appreciate it.

Hawker
2012-11-23, 09:41 PM
So I'm totally a liar twice right there. I hope I can pull the real-life-problems card and make everything alright again. Posting now, sorry about the massive delay.

Natural 18 on my initiative, natural 19 on my power check... The virtual dice seem to be on my side for once O.o

Lykan
2012-11-24, 07:48 AM
"You will learn, Children... one way or another."

"Learn this."

Behold Yuki, master of the comeback.

Neon Knight
2012-11-24, 11:35 AM
Behold Yuki, master of the comeback.

Awww, she's so cute. I just want to pinch her cheeks and tell that if she tries real hard, she can be a real badass someday with really clever comebacks!

Neon Knight
2012-11-27, 05:43 PM
It is now Nashiko/Hawker and Yuki/Lykan's turn.

Oh, and Nashiko/Hawker? I was going to give out a small save bonus to Nashiko's allies for her Mind Reading/call out the next attack thing, but the way the rolls turned out, the bonus didn't change the result any, and I forgot to put it in. If you do it again, I settled on a +3 bonus to the Ref save (which still didn't help Yuki, who rolled a 4. And then a 1 on her Acrobatics check against the Trip check) so another action in a similar vein would reap a similar bonus. That was a bit of an off the cuff ruling, so if you plan on doing that regularly, we should probably work out something more considered and formal.

Also, I made a ruling that you can use the Acrobatics skill against the Trip power, as well as against normal trip attempts. I don't think that is much of a stretch, since the Trip power refers you to the trip section, which states that you can use Acrobatics to oppose the trip. The Trip power section itself only mentions a STR or DEX check, but it is prohibitively expensive to buy attributes to the level you would need to protect against Trip Power uses. So I decided you can use the skill as well, otherwise I'd be tripping you guys trivially all game long. Just letting you know, in case you guys ever take a look at the Trip Power.

Hawker
2012-11-28, 01:39 PM
The people who wrote that power must have been tripping on something... XD

As for the mind reading, I was only really expecting the generic +2 circumstance/aid another bonus. Nashiko does have the Teamwork feat three times, so her Aid Another should be at +5, but she wasn't strictly using the Aid action.

Neon Knight
2012-11-28, 07:48 PM
+2 it is.

Also, I didn't mean to pick on Yuki, I swear!

Lykan
2012-11-29, 12:24 AM
Her new title is going to be the Starlight Punchingbag if this keeps up.

Neon Knight
2012-11-29, 11:13 AM
Look on the bright-side: being picked on by seemingly everything in the universe is now something she has in common with Miyu!

Lykan
2012-11-29, 11:39 AM
dfdsfjldjfasdf .-.

Can I reach into the computer and hug her yet? :smallfrown:

Hawker
2012-11-29, 03:11 PM
Nashiko's solution to all problems: Mind Reading. Kind of a one-trick pony, that one... Rolls weren't so great this time, either.

Neon Knight
2012-12-04, 03:34 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been a bit busy, and very distracted. In completely totally not at all related news to my absence of posting, if you are into shooters, Planetside 2 is very, very fun.

Also, I continue to have absurdly good luck with my dice rolls for the monster.

This fight has so far gone quite the opposite of how I expected; I thought the monster would fare worse against 4 attackers all focused on him, but he's gotten quite lucky, and the players have been distinctly unlucky. It's made me rethink my approach to mechanics, really, along with some other things. Amber and I have been talking about it some. When I wrote this encounter back when recruiting was finishing up, I had a lesser understanding of the mechanics than I do now, and am learning more as time goes on, so hopefully future fights won't have the character of this one.

Neon Knight
2012-12-13, 07:34 AM
I'll post later today after I'm through with my final. Sorry for the wait, and thank you for your patience.

Neon Knight
2012-12-20, 12:50 PM
I'm anticipating some slowdown because of the holidays, so I'll simply wish you all a merry set of celebrations, whichever set you practice.

Lykan
2012-12-27, 10:10 PM
Am I really cut out for this?

I can't tell if this is internal or external dialogue. Can you clarify, Mr Hawker person?

I'll post soon. I just kinda want to know this first.

Neon Knight
2012-12-28, 11:23 AM
I'll be in New Mexico until the 2nd, so we're on a bit of a hiatus anyway. Hope you all had a good holiday, and I hope you have a happy New Years.

Neon Knight
2013-01-03, 10:45 AM
I just noticed that Hawker's last activity was on the 23rd of December. I've sent a PM, and I think we should wait a day or two more before we start thinking about moving on without him.

Neon Knight
2013-01-05, 07:39 PM
For now, I guess I'll NPC Nashiko and try to keep things moving along. I'll figure out how we'll handle this in the long term a bit later.

Lykan
2013-01-05, 07:44 PM
Okie dokie. I'm sorry I'm so slow in getting to post. I'm just packing to go across the country at the moment.

Neon Knight
2013-01-10, 03:58 PM
Alright, I'm sorry it took me this long to get something up. I've been rather distracted and kinda have a mild case of writer's block, as much as that can apply to PbP, anyway. I meant to post way before this.

Hawker seems to be gone. In light of this, I will be keeping Nashiko around, but as a bit of a more NPC like character. Her skill set will allow her to be useful to you guys even if I avoid having her accompany you guys on sorties.

The question I have for you guys is do you want to try and recurit 1-2 new players, or just press on as The Three Amigos?

Lykan
2013-01-10, 04:13 PM
I'm in favor of recruiting, but I'm fine either way.

Neon Knight
2013-01-17, 07:34 PM
I'm gonna wait a bit longer for Lykan to post.

Neon Knight
2013-01-18, 09:43 PM
I'm working on a post, but it might take me until tomorrow to get it up.

Neon Knight
2013-01-26, 09:25 PM
I'm working on (and having trouble with) a post; I will hopefully get it up either tonight or tomorrow.

Neon Knight
2013-01-28, 09:57 PM
Uggggh, I am terrible. But I did manage to get a post up.

Lykan
2013-02-08, 05:00 AM
Paging Dr. Bean. You're needed in the Kicking Alien Ass with Face Melting Rock ward.

Green Bean
2013-02-08, 04:17 PM
Oh geez, sorry to be the holdup. I've had such terrible luck with Initiative in the past that it didn't even occur to me that I had to start things off.

Lykan
2013-02-08, 06:30 PM
It's cool! I'm sorry it took so long to poke you into action.:smallbiggrin:

Neon Knight
2013-02-09, 06:40 PM
Well, that's embarrassing. I completely forgot that Susumu was going first too.

Also, as a note, your DC is actually 18, not 23. Your sheet is still using 15 + PL for toughness saves, not 10 + PL which is what our houserules are. Although I'm looking at revising that, because experience in this game and others has led me to the opinion that altering the toughness save results table is enough, and hitting the DC too is a bit of overkill.

But for right now, 10 + 8 = 18.

Neon Knight
2013-02-12, 08:44 PM
I'll try to get a post up either tomorrow or on Thursday.

Neon Knight
2013-02-15, 12:41 PM
A single day late is better than never, I suppose. Or better than a number of days that is larger than 1 day.

Neon Knight
2013-03-02, 08:56 PM
Okay, I should have stepped in way before now to try and get us going again. I'm dispatching PMs to see what everyone is up to and seeing if we can't get this train rolling yet again.

Lykan
2013-03-02, 09:00 PM
Bridget's here and ready to kick butt! =O

... I'm Bridget. Hi.

AmberVael
2013-03-02, 09:01 PM
I'm still here too! But of course, it isn't Kimiko's turn and even if it was her turn she's dazed so yeah. :smallfrown:

Green Bean
2013-03-02, 09:56 PM
This one was my bad - I should've double checked to see if my IC post went through properly.

Neon Knight
2013-03-04, 01:02 PM
It's also my fault for not taking a look at things and PMing sooner.

Neon Knight
2013-03-06, 08:02 AM
From the 13th to the 19th I will be attending my brother's Naval graduation, and will not be able to post.

Neon Knight
2013-03-19, 01:14 PM
So, hey. I'm back from Chicago, and I had a lot of fun (and a lot of beer), and am looking towards maybe reviving the game. Yeah, recently it seems we're reviving the game a little more often than we are just playing it, but if everyone is game, I'd be happy to get us rolling again.

I've been considering maybe closing this fight out a bit prematurely, since you guys have gotten it pretty much done and only lucky dice rolls are keeping the monsters alive. We could progress to some new material which might help us pick up some speed. It's up to you guys, of course, and if you want to finish this out I'll happily roll dice until my wrists hurt. Or type until my wrists hurt. Either way.

Lykan
2013-03-19, 01:52 PM
I'm up for playing! Let's roll! =O

AmberVael
2013-03-19, 02:24 PM
So long as I get a chance to post again, I'm up for anything. :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2013-03-19, 03:57 PM
I'm also easy about skipping or continuing. So, I'll get all RPG up in here and trust in random chance. 1 means I'm all for skipping, 2 means let's keep this battle going!

[roll0]

Neon Knight
2013-03-19, 08:52 PM
Alright, we'll finish the fight, hand out tasty PP candy, and then proceed onward.

Neon Knight
2013-03-25, 09:24 PM
If Yuki steals the precious thing, Cali will be sad, because stealing isn't very chivalrous.

Lykan
2013-03-25, 09:36 PM
Don't worry. She'll return it when she's dead.

Neon Knight
2013-03-31, 05:51 AM
Sorry about the delay, I'll try and get a post up this evening.

Lykan
2013-04-06, 04:02 PM
*rolls a 1*

I think there might be something to that "Yuki is the universe's punching bag" thing.

Neon Knight
2013-04-06, 04:28 PM
Now, now. We know that's not true, because she doesn't get picked on by squirrels.

...Miyu, on the other hand, might be some sort of cosmic chew-toy.

Lykan
2013-04-06, 04:33 PM
I wanna go into the game and hug heeeeer :smallfrown:

Maybe we can get her a dog to chase away all the jerk squirrels.

Lykan
2013-04-15, 01:51 PM
So if Yuki fails a certain amount of attack rolls in a row, does she get a prize? Like one of those supermarket stamp things?

I think she would want a prize.
like hugging miyu

Neon Knight
2013-04-16, 06:35 PM
Pooooooooor Yuki. Maybe the whole family has bad luck. It even extends to Cali.

Still, the dice finally let the Mystic die. I cannot tell you how happy I am.

Green Bean
2013-04-16, 07:06 PM
Non-lethal, though. So unconscious! :smalltongue:

Lykan
2013-04-16, 07:20 PM
I think I'm gonna let Yuki cave its head in while it's unconscious, just to ease her frustration.

AmberVael
2013-04-20, 10:23 AM
Given the OOC part of your post, Neon, I'm assuming my mop up post isn't too presumptuous about the situation- just let me know if it is.

Neon Knight
2013-04-21, 03:48 PM
I'll try and get a post up tomorrow, or if not tomorrow, then on Monday.

Neon Knight
2013-04-29, 09:56 AM
Well, that was inconvenient. I'll get a post up soon, although my freetime is a bit more strained than it was before the site went down. I'm kicking myself for not getting the post in sooner.

Neon Knight
2013-04-30, 01:05 PM
Okay, I hate to do this right after a ten day gap in-between IC posts, but I think I need a 2-3 day hiatus. Hence the short post that doesn't move thing much along. I'm drowning in concerns, and need some time to review people's NPCs and get ready for the next segment.

I also understand Lykan is pretty swamped and stressed right now, so maybe this will give her a chance to get into a better situation too.

Lykan
2013-05-04, 01:54 AM
Well, I am no longer in school. In that I had to withdraw from it.

More time for posting, though! =O

Neon Knight
2013-05-04, 06:42 PM
Well, I got a post up, and even sort of on schedule! I am just as surprised as you are.

Neon Knight
2013-05-07, 11:09 AM
Some things I should mention: the next combat will be handled rather differently. We'll do initiative by side (i.e. you'll all act on the highest initiative rolled out of all your group), and I will be changing the Toughness DCs and tables again. They'll go back to DC 15 + modifiers (instead of DC 10 + modifiers) and I'm going to play around with the table a bit.

Also remember you have points to spend. Please inform me of what you spend your points on so I can be aware of the changes.

Green Bean
2013-05-07, 09:06 PM
Well, I'll spend a point on Power Attack for starters. After that, I'm not so sure. Can I buy off my Normal Identity drawback and just keep the "requires Celestial Amulet" thing, or will that conflict for plot reasons? The rest I'm not so sure about - I'm considering picking up a Dazzle or Stun, but my main array is looking overloaded as it is. Maybe a few more skills/feats? Teammates, what's your view?

Lykan
2013-05-08, 05:30 PM
So my computer kinda exploded finally and I am on an iPad. If my posting is slow that is why.

Also, I'm mulling over what to give Yuki. And how many pints did we get? Forgive me for asking, but its proving kinda hard to check due to my technological problems.

Neon Knight
2013-05-08, 05:36 PM
You guys got 6 PP for last night's shenanigans.

Neon Knight
2013-05-12, 03:29 PM
While I strongly dislike the fact that I have to tell you guys that I won't be able to post more than I am able to tell you that I can, I nonetheless have to admit that it may be a while before I get another post up. Finals, Mother's Day. I'm working on it, though, I promise!

Lykan
2013-05-13, 12:03 AM
No problem! I hope everything goes well!

Lykan
2013-05-18, 03:22 AM
Woohoo! Computer's back! :smallbiggrin:

I figure I should ask now if it's actually a school day in game or not. Might not want to have Yuki being a recluse should that be the case. >.>

AmberVael
2013-05-18, 10:48 AM
Ah- I had asked that question earlier. Probably should have done it in the OOC.

Yes, it's a school day. No lazing for our heroes.

Green Bean
2013-05-18, 02:32 PM
Do we know where the Surians live, or how to contact them in an emergency?

Neon Knight
2013-05-19, 12:06 AM
Woohoo! Computer's back! :smallbiggrin:

I figure I should ask now if it's actually a school day in game or not. Might not want to have Yuki being a recluse should that be the case. >.>

Yes, it is a school day.

Do we know where the Surians live, or how to contact them in an emergency?

You can contact them in an emergency, although you aren't certain as to where they actually "live." If you go to one of several locations, some of which are located quite close to your homes, and perform a specific actions, the Surians have promised that they will show up, which implies that they have some remote means of monitoring those locations.

Lykan
2013-05-25, 06:48 PM

So I posted a few days ago but apparently the post is not there. I'll get it up again.

Neon Knight
2013-06-12, 11:21 AM
I will be leaving tomorrow for Chicago, staying for a few days, and then will be heading to New Mexico for about a week after that. During this time, I'll be online less, but should hopefully be around.

Neon Knight
2013-06-22, 06:43 PM
Kimiko's lap is a number 1 destination for cats.

Neon Knight
2013-07-03, 09:50 AM
Sorry for the slight delay in posting.

Neon Knight
2013-08-15, 02:55 PM
A whole month without a post in the OOC, eh? Sorry for the delay in posting, I'll try and get something up soon.

Lykan
2013-08-15, 03:01 PM
Wait, shoot. I forgot I needed to make a toucan joke somewhere today.

"What do you call half a toucan?"
"A onecan?"
"No. A dead toucan."

Kuma, that was dark.

Neon Knight
2013-08-21, 10:31 PM
Gonna try and get a post up tomorrow, sorry for the delays. The first week of school has been a little crazy.

Neon Knight
2013-09-17, 01:19 PM
Aha! 4 days short of a month without an OOC post! Things are improving!

We do seem to be stalled, though. I'll see what I can do about that.

Lykan
2013-09-17, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry. I couldn't think of anything to say. :smalleek:

Neon Knight
2013-09-18, 07:12 PM
No problem. We're really at a scene transition that I maybe handled with slightly less than perfect grace; currently, I'm thinking we should just jump cut to a new scene, perhaps a little media-in-res. Probably a little minor skirmish with the Mother's monsters and then probably some Mossy time. Thoughts? Objections?

Lykan
2013-09-19, 02:44 AM
Woohoo Mossy time! :smallbiggrin:

Hopefully Yuki's luck will be a bit better this time around.

Neon Knight
2013-10-07, 09:20 PM
A note: I'm probably putting the game, at least in terms of major posts from me, on hiatus for a while. I'm in the midst of mid-terms and not coping with the workload too well.

Lykan
2013-10-07, 09:30 PM
Okie dokie! Good luck on the midterms!

Neon Knight
2013-10-22, 02:09 PM
Alright, midterms are well and done and I've picked up the pieces enough that I think things can move forward, now.

This game is pretty remarkable; I've just noticed that it has been in progress for over a year now. While it hasn't been the fastest mover, I think we can all appreciate the accomplishment of lasting so long and sticking with it.

So, do you all want to enact the plans currently under discussion IC? Is that the consensus?

AmberVael
2013-10-22, 03:31 PM
Sounds good to me. As a note, Kimiko doesn't have a set course of action simply because she is absolutely terrible at stealth. Has something to do with being in a glowing suit of armor, apparently. I think she'll sit back provide backup as necessary, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Lykan
2013-10-22, 07:20 PM
Works for me as well!

Green Bean
2013-10-23, 08:15 AM
Let's rock this, metaphorically and also possibly literally!

Neon Knight
2013-10-23, 04:29 PM
Sounds good to me. As a note, Kimiko doesn't have a set course of action simply because she is absolutely terrible at stealth. Has something to do with being in a glowing suit of armor, apparently. I think she'll sit back provide backup as necessary, unless someone has a better suggestion.

She would be stealthy at a robot dance party. Tactical Rave Action!

Neon Knight
2013-11-08, 05:57 PM
This is the game that never says die.

Neon Knight
2013-11-12, 03:33 PM
Made an edit in response to a question.

Lykan
2013-12-02, 04:47 AM
*comes in riding on a majestic slowpoke*

I AM HERE TO POST

Neon Knight
2013-12-15, 07:27 PM
*also comes in riding on a slowpoke*

AND I AM HERE TO JOUST WITH YE!

More seriously, I'm just coming down form finals and lots of work; I'll try and post soon.