PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed

Drogon Malice
2012-08-30, 12:16 AM
Hi All i have a very odd question today, to be honest I'm actually surprised I've not seen it in any books and hours of searching online has left me with nothing.

Basicly i'm looking for a D20 Modern / Apoc weapon simply put, its a personal alarm aka whats nicked named "a rape alarm"

A personal alarm is a small hand-held electronic device with the functionality to emit a loud siren-like alarming sound. It is activated either by a button, or a tag that, when pulled, sets the siren off.

It is used to attract attention in order to scare off an assailant. The sound emitted can also have the effect of distracting, disorienting, or surprising the assailant.

The volume varies from model to model, with some models having 130 decibels. Some personal alarms are also outfitted with an LED light for normal lighting purposes or to help deter an assailant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_alarm

so basically what would the stats for a Personal Alarm be, and what happens if you enchant it with Magic?

i assume the basic device works the same as a grenade but without any explosive radius just a sonic radius.

can someone help me with this please once the foundation is done i have another question relating to it but i need to see one written up first before anything else. now I've got no experience at all making weapons and have no idea to stat something like this so i humbly ask if anyone can give me a hand with this i would be very grateful

Drogon Malice
2012-08-30, 12:24 AM
sorry to reply to my own thread here but i was wondering would it do the same as this but on a non lethal level?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soundBurst.htm

so it would be 1d8 non lethal damage, this way if you listen to it enough you'll eventually black out from it?

Kholai
2012-08-30, 04:30 AM
From a D20 Modern perspective, I don't think that an alarm that renders the person holding it unconscious and unable to escape or deal with their attackers would be a big hit in the marketplace and definitely would fail QC. As such, any remaining copies and be considered defective, near one of a kind and illegal.

Base DC of 7 before those modifiers for a basic rape alarm, makes a sound equivalent to a -15 to the DC of hearing it (just below gunfire), when activated that lasts for up to twenty minutes before the battery dies out.

Make it (non)lethal, and treat it like a field effect - aka throw it where you want it, until someone moves over and deactivates it they take 1D8 non-lethal damage per round within 10 ft with a fortitude for half. This version produces a sound equivalent to gunfire and because of the battery drain, only lasts up to 1 minute before needing recharging.

Drogon Malice
2012-08-30, 03:04 PM
ok so what if we remove the "unconsciousness factor" here and just make it a stun (in this case standing there screaming covering your ears) or auto run out of the field of damage

btw rape alarms are loud as hell i ought my girlfriend one, she decided to test it the minute i gave it to her it was loud, its like a horrid wobbling screeching and i'll tell ya its louder than gunfire. but i digress.

should the rape alarm only bring you to 0 hitpoints?

perhaps some kind of... fort vs stun effect and take non leathal damage untill the battery shuts off or turned off at 0 hitpoints you auto run from the field taking no further damage from it, its just a compulsive run from combat?

LordErebus12
2012-08-30, 03:15 PM
ALARM
School abjuration; Level bard 1, ranger 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, F/DF (a tiny bell and a piece of very fine silver wire)
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space
Duration 2 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

Alarm creates a subtle ward on an area you select. Once the spell effect is in place, it thereafter sounds a mental or audible alarm each time a creature of Tiny or larger size enters the warded area or touches it. A creature that speaks the password (determined by you at the time of casting) does not set off the alarm. You decide at the time of casting whether the alarm will be mental or audible in nature.

Mental Alarm: A mental alarm alerts you (and only you) so long as you remain within 1 mile of the warded area. You note a single mental “ping” that awakens you from normal sleep but does not otherwise disturb concentration. A silence spell has no effect on a mental alarm.

Audible Alarm: An audible alarm produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60 feet of the warded area can hear it clearly. Reduce the distance by 10 feet for each interposing closed door and by 20 feet for each substantial interposing wall.

In quiet conditions, the ringing can be heard faintly as far as 180 feet away. The sound lasts for 1 round. Creatures within a silence spell cannot hear the ringing.

Ethereal or astral creatures do not trigger the alarm.

Alarm can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Used in the creation, this would assist, Audible sound combined with the box.

Kholai
2012-08-30, 03:16 PM
ok so what if we remove the "unconsciousness factor" here and just make it a stun (in this case standing there screaming covering your ears) or auto run out of the field of damage

btw rape alarms are loud as hell i ought my girlfriend one, she decided to test it the minute i gave it to her it was loud, its like a horrid wobbling screeching and i'll tell ya its louder than gunfire. but i digress.

should the rape alarm only bring you to 0 hitpoints?

perhaps some kind of... fort vs stun effect and take non leathal damage untill the battery shuts off or turned off at 0 hitpoints you auto run from the field taking no further damage from it, its just a compulsive run from combat?

I checked the stats of gunfire when I set the DC, and gunfire is 160 decibels or more, the volume you supplied was 130, so a bit quieter than a gunshot, but since it takes place over a minute, then you have multiple opportunities to hear it. If your rape alarm exceeds 160 decibels then adjust the DC modifier accordingly.

I wasn't aware of Nonlethal actually taking off HP, but if you mean you get to Staggered and never unconscious, then that's still quite doable. Still highly unlikely for someone to sell one to you though, unless it was custom modded.

If you're going into automatic running then you're basically stepping into a mind control method, which says to me will save and mystic forces. A fortitude save or be staggered each round you're in the effect would be a possibility though. Give people a big enough reason not to stand in its field and you don't need to force them to run, they just will.