PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Foresight Diviner or Teleportation Conjurer?

RndmNumGen
2012-08-30, 01:08 AM
I'm making a Sylph Wizard for PFS, starting at level 2 due to GM credit. I want to go into Pathfinder Savant at 6th, but I'm torn on which school specialization to take.

On one hand, I really like the Foresight Diviner. Gaining an initiative bonus, the ability to always act in the surprise round and a chance to pre-roll any d20 roll is spectacular(what's that? I got a Nat 20 on Foresight? Maybe I'll cast Enervation and auto-crit...).

Sylphs have a racial archetype available though, the Wind Listener, which can spontaneously cast Divination spells. This is a nifty ability, since Divinations tend to be difficult to plan for but very useful to have. However, I don't want to specialize in Divinations if I can already spontaneously cast them, as that would basically be wasting my specialty slots.

In this case I would likely take the Teleportation Conjuration school, for the awesome short-distance Dim. Door. There are plenty of good conjuration spells to fill up my specialty slots with here, even if the school powers aren't quite as good.

So... yeah. I like both options. Does the Playground have any advice one way or the other to help me chose?

Corlindale
2012-08-30, 03:47 AM
I've played a Foresight wizard, and they're very cool. The Prescience power is indeed really useful, and the other stuff from the school is nice too (never surprised is an amazing power).

Prescience is best if you like to use spells that require d20 rolls, of course. It shines the most with direct attacks and CMB spells like Hydraulic Push (my Foresight wizard specialized in this - or was going to, before he prematurely died) or Telekinesis.

Main drawback is that you have to prepare so many divination spells. I got around it by taking heighten spell and preferred spell (Glitterdust) - that way I could always turn a divination spell into an appropriately heightened Glitterdust on the fly, if it turned out I wouldn't need it that day.

Teleportation is certainly a good spec too. One drawback may be that its powers are less front-loaded than Foresight's, however. You get all your prerolls from level 1, but the teleport power scales in power with your wizard level, which means you won't get much distance if you PRC out at 6th. And remember that while the teleport power is cool, it ends your turn when you use it (as Dimension Door), so you can't teleport out of threat range to cast a spell, or anything like that.

Teleportation is still a good choice because of the superior spell selection, though. And if you decide to go Wind Listener it may be the superior choice, for the reasons you mentioned.

Andvare
2012-08-30, 04:09 AM
It seems like you have pretty much all the pros and cons sorted out.

Divination does have the strongest school powers in the game, and by a far margin as well IMHO.
Conjuration is second, and with a better spell selection. Do remember. though, that every time you use a cleric spell, you are limiting yourself.

Wind Listener is weak IMHO. Wispy Form is very nice, but Spontaneous Divination is not. You lose Arcane Bond, which can be quite strong *cough*Ring-of-Continuation (http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz6b98?Infinite-time-stop-Infinite-shapechange-Infinite)*cough*, and gain spontaneous divination, which is on itself, not very useful. If you take Conjuration as a school, just keep a few spell slots open, for that eventuality that you might need some utility spell (like an important divination spell).

But, in the end, this is more a matter of preference.
The real question is, what fits your character's story the best? What will enhance your roleplaying experience, and thus your group's collected fun, the most?