PDA

View Full Version : Dust to Dust IC

Fouredged Sword
2012-08-30, 04:54 AM
You have all been trapped in a New York subway station for the past week. Everyone you know is dead and you are just now coming to terms. You have to put that past you though. Three of the scant few people who made it into the subway already committed suicide. To focus on the past is to die, that much is clear. You must move forward.

As for what direction forward is, well that may be death too. Food is running low and the whole group will die in a day or so without more. They where fair about it. Everyone drew straws. Yours came up short.

So now you gotta go outside, see about finding food or maybe weapons. It has been a few days since dustfall, but you are still probably going to die.

You have all gathered what items you think you will need and met at the turnstlyes. Just up the stairs is the surface. You can see the light filtering down from a bright sunny day above (god you miss the sun).

The crazy old man who lead you all down here during the first dustfall said he would meet you here before you left. All of you got hear a little earlier. Now you wait, and meet the people who will join you on your suicide run.

Odentin
2012-08-30, 05:42 AM
The Hell with drawing straws, Allison VOLUNTEERED. As soon as it became clear that some needed to leave, she was dressed and ready to go within the hour.

Now she stands with the others, a hooded "cloak" covering her clothing, with just her backpack and tonfa sitting over it. She almost bounces with excitement, waiting for the old man to arrive.

Komodo
2012-08-30, 08:20 AM
Rather visible in his fireman's coat, Ezekiel sits on an overturned trash can, contemplatively turning over his trusted axe in his hands, and occasionally glancing up the stairs. As eager as he is to get outside and find supplies, the vast and complete unknown that awaits him weighs down heavily. As for his companion, he was surprised to see her so eager for such a dire quest, although grateful to find some spark of enthusiasm where it was rarer than fresh water.

Checking again on the medkits, he mutters a silent prayer that they'll be enough for whatever dangers they're about to face. Hopefully the old guy would show up soon. He could hardly stand waiting much longer.

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-30, 06:33 PM
Hao had taken a seat farther back in the tunnel. He was happy to see something other than candle light, but he decided to keep his current work in the shadows. He kneeled down and looked down at his armor. He had spent a lifetime to gain his rank. Decades of fighting secret wars in places he knew nothing of. But now that he needed them, his command had abandoned him. Today was the day, that he took his life back. He took a knife from his waist and with a sharp shearing sound he scared the armor, peeling away the insignia on its front, the the unit insignia, then his rank. As he looked at his work the silver scars glimmered up at him. Only his name was left.
He looked with a sick feeling in his stomach, he was alone. Everything he had ever loved had left him. And with a small smirk he embraced his freedom. He looked forward to the trials ahead, seeing them as a test of his worthiness to hold his new found liberty. But he was well aware that if he failed, death would be his only option.

Destrude
2012-08-30, 09:25 PM
Steven sat next to the excited young woman, going over his gear and rifle one last time. Nothing wrong with being cautious, after all. Pull the bolt, punch out the locking pin, barrel comes free. Check for obstructions, check the mag well, and reassamble. Steven pauses for a moment, his thoughts wandering back to before.

She always did love to go shooting. Even bought her that little pink .22 rifle last Christmas. Jesus Christ, I can't deal with this right now. Gotta keep focused, do this job, save these poor people from dehy-

"For ****'s sake Ally, could you hold still? You're rocking the damn box I'm working on." His tone isn't exactly anger so much as irritability, something Allison would recognize from their time together.

Odentin
2012-08-30, 09:40 PM
Allison flashes the rather large man a huge grin, "Sorry Pops, I'm just excited to see the sun again."

She stands up, so as to give Steven a stable workspace, "I mean, I know we have a mission and all, but I just can't help but think about running free again..."

Destrude
2012-08-31, 01:25 AM
Steven looks like he might make a sharp comment at Allison's response for a moment, but takes a deep breath instead and smiles slightly.

"Yeah kid, me too. I haven't seen anything green since we first hit the city, and the subway's given me a nasty case 'o the cabin fever.". His expression falls as he continues. "But that ain't a license to go nuts out there. We don't even know if the Dust is still falling or not, or if it'll still kill us. So keep your cloak on, and don't go getting it ripped and coating your skinny ass in that ****." .

Steve swears softly to himself. "My kingdom for a damn gas mask, or a HazMat suit, or really anything but this plastic rain poncho and bandanna mask."

Fouredged Sword
2012-08-31, 05:17 AM
You all hear Berry before you see him. It looks like he decided to follow Jenkins (the old man) on his way to meet you. That explains why he got held up. Barry is talking loud and he is obviously upset. Once he rounds the final corner you can finally tell what he is saying.

"... food and water is well and good, but they will have that there as well. You can't just ignore that we need em! Someone will have to go, and if it isn't this lot then who?"

Jenkins looks at him sternly

"You could always go yourself" he snaps. Barry looks aghast. He spent the whole time in the hole complaining of his bad back and saying he would be no good running outside.

Jenkins ignores him and turns to the four of you. "Ok, good to see you lot look prepared. No such thing as paranoia I always say. My social worker always disagreed, but looks who survived. Anywho, are we ready to take a little stroll?"

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-31, 05:35 AM
Hao gave a little grin. Nothing like a bit of morbid humor to motivate the troops. He jumped to his feet. "After you."

Odentin
2012-08-31, 08:01 AM
Allison feigns innocence, almost looking taken aback by the statement, "Ouch. You make it sound as if I'm liable to just-" She cuts off her statement as the nutter and the gun freak approach, but whatever she was saying was probably EXACTLY what she's liable to do...

Another grin crosses her face at Jenkins' question, "Man, I've been ready for weeks..."

Komodo
2012-08-31, 08:21 AM
"Ah, sure, I'm ready," Ezekiel says, but his eyes shift toward the upset figure behind Jenkins. Curious, he addresses him, trying to sound compassionate: "What seems to be the problem, Barry? Is there something we should know?"

Fouredged Sword
2012-08-31, 04:05 PM
Barry looks suddenly at Ezekiel. He gets a little look of hope in his eyes.

"This old fool wants to go to the south side soup kitchen. I say that you should go to the station just up main. It is closer and there are likely guns there are well as emergency supplies. We need guns if we are going to survive out there. Who knows what society has become after the dustfall. It will be everyone for themselves, and we need to make sure that we are the ones with enough firepower to make sure we come out on top!"

Odentin
2012-08-31, 04:13 PM
Allison smirks, but shakes her head, "Sorry Barry. If everyone starves to death, then there's no one to hold a gun. Food's gonna be our first priority..."

She looks around at the others, a blush of embarrassment crossing her cheeks, "At least, that's my vote."

Komodo
2012-08-31, 07:03 PM
"You're right, of course," Ezekiel says to Allison, "But I can't say I wouldn't appreciate a little extra protection. It's true, we don't know what the world's become out there." Turning to Barry, he says "Thank you. We'll keep your advice in mind.

FistsFullofDice
2012-08-31, 09:49 PM
Hao stood in the shadows, listening to Barry's plea. "Why not both of them?" He started to slowly stroll over to them. "Food first of course. If something chases us and we must seek shelter food will be much more useful then weapons", Hao said as he played with the handles of his hunting knives. "But let's face it, it's not like we are slammed for time. Why not hit one after the other." Hao looks at Jenkins, "What is your call captain?"

Destrude
2012-09-01, 02:42 AM
Steve stands up and places a hand on Allison's shoulder. "Girl's got the right of it. These people need food and water, and they need it soon. I'll not have a single death on my hands, not if I can help it." He looks around the group before continuing, his face hard. "If we think we need weapons, and we survive the first little trek here, then fine. But the vitals come first, and that's all I'll say on the matter."

Fouredged Sword
2012-09-05, 08:07 PM
Barry scowls and looks ill content, but the old man nods. After words are said, it becomes the time for action. All that is left is to depart and see where the path shall take you.

The world of dustfall awaits you.

Odentin
2012-09-05, 08:18 PM
Allison smirks as the farewells finish. She pulls her oakleys from her pocket and turns towards the stairs, placing them over her eyes before hopping up onto the turnstile and dropping off gently on the other side. She marches silently towards the stairs, but her excitement and energy can not be contained, and the closer she gets to the daylight, the bigger her smile gets, until it splits into a grin at the base of the stairs, and she bounds up them 3 at a time.

At the top, she emits a sound, half-giggle, half-cackle, and greets the ruined city, "Hallo beauty. You miss me?"

FistsFullofDice
2012-09-06, 12:38 AM
Hao watched with admiration at Allison darting up the stairs. He wished he had that hunger for battle once again. He strolled up the stairs, removing a knife into his left hand. He recalled his many close encounters that are now cataloged deep in the history books and an expression he had once been told came to mind. 'There are old warriors and bold warriors', he thought as he looked up at Allison's shadow cast down upon him. 'But there are no old, bold warriors'.

He entered the light. A flood to the senses. Smells, tastes. It was nice to be out...

Komodo
2012-09-06, 06:26 AM
Ezekiel raises two fingers to his forehead in a farewell salute to Barry, then heaves his pack of medkits and supplies over his back. Looking down at his axe, he considers how to carry it without looking too menacing, and settles for resting the head over his shoulder. As he heads up, he gives one last glance into the tunnels behind him. Leaving was conflicting for him; as important as his mission was, he didn't like leaving the small camp without a physician, even an improvised one like himself. Still, physician or no, they'd die without supplies, and he wouldn't dare let his own negligence be the cause of that.

Turning firmly toward the stairs, he notices the energetic girl already on her way up, and picks up his own pace so as not to lose sight of her. "Hold on," he calls to her. Hopefully, he thinks, we'll be able to get back with these medkits unused.

As he ascends, the light hitting him gives him a bit of hope. Perhaps there will be supplies aplenty at our destination. Perhaps there will be another camp of survivors we can join with. Maybe...just maybe, one of my buddies from the fire department will have survived... As the light hits his face, he squints and covers his unaccustomed eyes. Rubbing up against a handrail for direction, he goes to the top and moves his arm away, his eyes blinking furiously, his sight slowly becoming clearer...

Destrude
2012-09-07, 01:10 AM
Turning towards the stairs, Steven shrugs into his battered backpack, the weight of his remaining worldly possessions weighing heavily. He adjusts the improvised tarp that serves as his poncho and ties the bandanna over his face and neck. Gathering himself with a visible effort, he begins making his way up the stairs.

His footfalls nearly silent in the layer of dust and ash, Steven emerges into the light and squints against its glare as he scans his surroundings.

Jesus, it's like a whole 'nother world now. I feel like a damn stranger out here, like man doesn't belong anymore.

As they have quite often after the disaster started, his thoughts turn hard and sharp. I'll make a place for us, me and my girl and Allison and all the other survivors, if I have to carve it with my damn bare hands. She'll be safe, I'll find her, and we'll figure this whole mess out.

Seeing Ally's reaction to their emergence, he can't help but smile a little despite himself. Girl makes me believe it too. I do believe she'd climb straight into Heaven and punch God in his **** if you told her it couldn't be done, just outta spite and joy of it.

"Yeah girl, I'm sure the asphalt will be real pleased to meet your ass again, and that goes double for any crazy bastard with a rifle if you don't keep your head down."

Odentin
2012-09-07, 01:40 AM
"Like you, pops?"

Allison looks over her shoulder at Steven, grinning like a madwoman. She allows her eyes to adjust a bit to the light, aided by her sunglasses, and observes the state of the city. Suddenly, her face hardens, becoming infinitely more serious, "So, to the Soup Kitchen, then."

She pulls the GPS unit out of her pack, trying to see if it still works, and casting it aside if it doesn't, replacing it with her compass, and begins making her way towards their destination.

Fouredged Sword
2012-09-10, 04:26 PM
The light of the bright Summer day is literally blinding as you exit the subways. You have to stop for a moment and let your eyes adjust.

What you see when your eyes finally clear is striking. The streets are filled with car left where they stopped, many tangled in steel warping wrecks. The towering buildings feel so tall after being stuck bellow ground for such a long time. They have started to lean in a perilous looking fashion. You can look east and see the scar in the skyline that shows where the alien weapon leveled a section of the city and left a unnaturally round cape jutting in just inside Ellis Island. You can even see the lady out over the water. She seems even more alone than before.

It all seems so still. There is almost no sound, no motion, no life. A light stirring of dust blows along the ground, but nothing that looks like the remains of the massive duststorm that hit just weeks before.

The soup kitchen is west, near the old train station. The police station is north along the main avenue.

FistsFullofDice
2012-09-11, 08:37 PM
Hao took a minute to gain his bearings. The place was more foreign than he had thought it could be. He started moving west towards the soup kitchen. As Hao casually strolled along he started peaking into the cars along the street. Hopefully something of value would catch his eye.

Investigation and Wits or Int if looking in the cars would be worth doing

Destrude
2012-09-12, 02:13 AM
Steven grunts noncommitally at Ally's retort, shielding his eyes against the glare as he takes in his surroundings. It may not be the woods he's used to, but the hunter in him knows the city is just another kind of wilderness. One with at least one new kind of predator.

After a moment's contemplation of the area, Steven sets off after the rest, keeping to the rear. His hunting rifle feels solid and comforting in his hands, even if the thought of using it on those poor twisted souls makes his stomach churn. Brushing morbid thoughts aside, he scans the buildings for signs of movement or the glint of rifle scopes.

Wits + Composure or Survival, both the same dice pool.

[roll0]

Komodo
2012-09-12, 09:09 AM
"Stick together, everyone," Ezekiel says, aware that he's being redundant, but too in awe to really care. The emptiness of the city feels otherworldly, and he forgets about not trying to look menacing, instead moving his axe in a defensive position in front of him.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he keeps track of his teammates and follows them to the soup kitchen, but his eyes are focused on the buildings around them. Some of them seem the worse for wear after the attack, but hopefully, they'll keep standing...

Checking buildings to see if any is in immediate danger of collapse or breaking. I'm guessing Wits+Investigation, and damaged buildings is one of my specialities.

[roll0]

Odentin
2012-09-12, 02:32 PM
Allison leads the way, keeping a few yards in front of the group, acting as a lookout. She also keeps her eyes out for any higher vantage points she might be able to use, if necessary.

Secret rolls, I presume?

Fouredged Sword
2012-09-17, 06:03 PM
Allison goes ahead first, walking up and over the cars in the way. It is no slower than weaving through them and she gets a good look at the road ahead and can see down among the cars, not just over them.

Following her is Ezekiel. He notes pavement is cracked and the radial pattern suggest the ground has sloped in the direction of the scar in the skyline. Whatever hit NYC did so in a way that has destabilized all the earth in the area. Everything was already at enough risk when a northeaster came through, now the next big storm is sure to wreck the city, if it doesn't fall down in a stiff wind.

Hao follows looking for goodies in the cars.

Investigation + wits
5 dice.
2 successes

A few cars are easily accessible and Hao manages to find a dufflebag full of cloths (crudely packed and looks to be for a early twenty something hipster's), a tire iron + carjack, plus a lighter (1/2 full) and half a pack of cigarettes.

Steven makes the rear. He keeps his eyes to the sky and watches the windows. The quiet of the bright day is getting more normal, almost peaceful.

Then you come across a problem. Allison see it first and stops.

There is a break in the cars up ahead. It looks like the traffic stopped here for a reason. A bad wreck locked down the road.

Past the road, in the clear street is what stopped you. A body is laying in the street, face down. You don't see any blood, and the body seems to be preserved with no animal damage. The sight brings to home the fact that a lot of people have died. It unnerves you as well.

Steven's neck hair stands on end, and an unfriendly shiver goes down his spine.

Komodo
2012-09-18, 09:16 AM
Ezekiel steps next to Allison and stares down at the body. He has just noticed the looming threat of the unstable buildings, and now there's this little reminder of what's happened to humanity. The last time he had seen a dead body was when he had been called to help deal with the suicides in the tunnel, and the uneasy feelings he thought had gone away begin rising back up in his gut. However, there's something not quite right about this one...

"What the...it's been what, a month? Two? I've lost count. This guy looks too good to have been out here that long..." He moves to take a step forward, but hesitates. "Guys, I want to take a closer look, if that's okay..." he asks, hoping more for support than permission.

Odentin
2012-09-18, 12:41 PM
Allison signals for the others to stop, staring out at the body, "Be careful. Remember the stories, of the dead that didn't stay dead."

She reaches back, drawing her tonfa over her head and spinning them into proper position.

Komodo
2012-09-21, 07:03 AM
"Perhaps," Ezekiel replies, "but from here, I can't even tell if he's really dead. I have a duty to make sure. Even if he is, maybe I can find out what killed him, and if there's a danger to us." Gripping his axe, he nods and walks over the wreckage into the clear part of the street, taking a look around him as he approaches the body.

Reaching it, he gently prods the body with the handle of his axe. "Sir? Are you alright? Can you hear me?

Priority list:
1: Look around, make sure the area's clear.
2: Talk to the guy, gently prod with axe handle.
3: If no response, check for signs of life.
4: If dead, check for cause of death.
I'm not sure what's going to happen, and you seem to be doing at least some of the rolls, Fouredged, so I'll let you handle that.

Destrude
2012-09-22, 03:49 AM
Steven shudders at the sensation crawling down his spine. "Eyes open, I think we're being watched." Bringing his rifle around, Steve begins scanning the surrounding buildings for any signs of movement.

Odentin
2012-09-22, 10:11 AM
"This is probably a trap, Zeke..." Allison advances with the medic, watching his back and trusting the others to watch them both...