PDA

View Full Version : Creature types and subtypes Ladder?

HunterOfJello
2012-08-30, 09:06 PM
At some point a while back, I remember reading a sort of ladder for which types and subtypes trump one another. I thought it was in Savage Species, but I haven't been able to find the list in there.

Main Question: What creature types trump other ones and do you always keep a subtype, even when your creature type changes?

~~~~~

For instance, I'm going to be playing a Half-Fey Human Binder who has 5 levels in Knight of the Sacred Seal and will be constantly binding the Zceryll vestige.

1. Humans are Humanoid [Human]
2. Half-Fey Human becomes Fey instead of Humanoid, but I presume that it still keeps the [Human] subtype
3. Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 turns the character into an Outsider [Native]. The monk 20 Perfect Self class feature refers to the Outsider as being 'extraplanar', but I don't know if that would give the character the Extraplanar subtype, or what plane the Monk is supposed to be home to anyway.
4. Finally, binding Zceryll (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718) gives the Pseudonatural template from CA and turns the character into an Outsider again.

So, does Outsider trump Fey? Do I still keep Fey anyway? Are there any benefits to being an Outsider other than the fact that you're not a human and you get marital weapon proficiency? And finally, can I consider myself a Double Outsider, and would that give me any other good benefits or penalties?

Jack_Simth
2012-08-30, 09:10 PM
At some point a while back, I remember reading a sort of ladder for which types and subtypes trump one another. I thought it was in Savage Species, but I haven't been able to find the list in there.Savage Species, page 142 (to start). However, it is a 3.0 source, and is arguably overwritten by the section in the 3.5 monster manual that just says you apply templates in order.