PDA

View Full Version : Creating Caine [PF]

Da'Shain
2012-08-30, 09:38 PM
I'm starting a Pathfinder game soon, and I've only played PF once before (though I've played plenty of 3.5e). The breadth of options is actually quite refreshing, and I figured I'd revisit one of my old attempts at creating one of my favorite characters: Caine, from Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine series. If you haven't read them, I strongly recommend checking them out! But the gist of Caine is, he's considered "the best infighter alive" with knives or fists, he's fast as hell and very strong for his size (although probably not in the 18 STR range, but really, I felt I had to bump that up for this system), and he's got a reputation as a completely amoral assassin (of the stab you in the back variety) which he backs up with plenty of skill but is inflated due to his high Bluff and Intimidation.

A lot of what makes him badass is his training as a Monk, which are actually closer to self-buffing Psychic Warriors in this particular series, but sadly there's no Psionics in this campaign. I would be interested in how to make a similar character using PF Psionics, though, just for the possibility in the future!

Here I had a bit more free range than I did last time I tried planning out a build from level 1: we're starting at level 12. DM told me he'd be liberal with magic items but not to go too crazy; someone tell me if I did! Created using the Pathfinder SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/) and a 25 point buy.

CAINE
Barbarian (Urban) 2 / Monk (Martial Artist) 4 / Rogue (Thug) 6
CN Medium Human (Focused Study, Heart of the Slums, Favored Class Rogue)
Init +10 ; Senses Perception +16
==DEFENSE==
AC 26, touch 20, flat-footed 22 (+3 armor, +4 dex, +3 natural armor, +3 deflection, +3 monk bonus)
hp 93 (10d8+2d12+12)
Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +8
Defensive Abilities Improved Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge
==OFFENSE==
Spd 40 ft/x4
Melee Adamantine Kukri +2, +15/+10 1d4+7, 15-20/x2 Two-Weapon Primary (light Secondary), CM +3
Melee Adamantine Kukri +2, +15 1d4+7, 15-20/x2 Two-Weapon Secondary, CM +3
Melee Unarmed Strike +15/+10, 1d8+5, 20/x2 CM +1
Melee Unarmed Strike +14/+14/+9, 1d8+5, 20/x2 Flurry of Blows, CM +1
Ranged Cold Iron Thrown Dagger +2, +15/+10, 1d4+7 19-20/x2 Thrown, CM +2
Special Attacks Flurry of Blows, Sneak Attack (3d6), Stunning Fist 6/day (DC 19, stunned or fatigued), Intimidating Glare (Rage Power), Dazzling Display, Improved Grapple (+16), Strangler (3d6), Brutal Beating
==STATISTICS==
Str 20, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12
BAB +9, CMB +14, CMD +34
Special Abilities Rage 7 rounds/day OR Controlled Rage 7 rounds/day, Exploit Weakness
Rogue Talents Honeyed Words 2/day, Fast Stealth, Weapon Training, Strong Impression, Resiliency 1/day (Vest of the Cockroach)
Traits Fast-Talker, Reactionary
Feats Armor Proficiency (LIGHT), Combat Reflexes, Dazzling Display, Improved Critical (Kukri), Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Intimidating Prowess, Shield Proficiency, Skill Focus (Intimidate, Bluff), Strangler , Stunning Fist, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike, Kukri)
Skills Acrobatics +19, Bluff +23, Climb +19, Disguise +5, Escape Artist +9, Intimidate +27, Knowledge (history) +5, Knowledge (local) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +5, Knowledge (religion) +5, Perception +16, Ride +8, Sense Motive +15, Sleight of Hand +15, Stealth +21
Languages Common, Elven
SQ Fast Movement +10, Crowd Control, Frightening, Martial Arts Master, Pain Points
Magic Items Equipped Belt of Physical Might +2 (STR/DEX), Vest of the Cockroach, Boots of Speed, Amulet of Natural Armor +3, Ring of Protection +3 (R), Ring of Climbing, Improved (L), Bracers of Armor +3.

Brutal Beating: Whenever Caine deals sneak attack damage, he can choose to forgo 1d6 points of sneak attack damage to make the target sickened for 3 rounds. This ability does not stack with itself—only the most recent duration applies. This ability replaces rogues' trap sense.
Controlled Rage: When Caine rages, instead of making a normal rage he may apply a +4 morale bonus to his Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. He may apply the full bonus to one ability score or may split the bonus between several scores in increments of +2. When using a controlled rage, Caine gains no bonus on Will saves, takes no penalties to AC, and can still use Intelligence-, Dexterity-, and Charisma-based skills. This ability otherwise follows the normal rules for rage.
Crowd Control: Caine gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC when adjacent to two or more enemies. In addition, his movement is not impeded by crowds, and he gains +1 bonus on Intimidate checks to influence crowds. This ability replaces barbarians' fast movement.
Exploit Weakness:As a swift action, Caine can observe a creature or object to find its weak point by making a Wisdom check +4 against a DC of 10 + the object’s hardness or the target’s CR. If the check succeeds, Caine gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls until the end of his turn, and any attacks he makes until the end of his turn ignore the creature or object’s DR or hardness. Caine may instead use this ability as a swift action to analyze the movements and expressions of one creature within 30 feet, granting a +2 bonus on Sense Motive checks, Reflex saves and a dodge bonus to AC against that opponent until the start of his next turn. This ability replaces monks' ki pool.
Frightening: Whenever Caine successfully uses Intimidate to demoralize a creature, the duration of the shaken condition is increased by 1 round. In addition, if the target is shaken for 4 or more rounds, Caine can instead decide to make the target frightened for 1 round. This ability replaces rogues' trapfinding.
Intimidating Glare: While raging, Caine can make an Intimidate check against one adjacent foe as a move action. If Caine successfully demoralizes his opponent, the foe is shaken for 1d4+1 rounds, + 1 round for every 5 points by which Caine's check exceeds the DC.
Pain Points: Caine's advanced knowledge of humanoid anatomy grants a +1 bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls and increases the DC of his Stunning Fist by 1. This ability replaces monks' still mind.
I'm concerned he has survivability issues with his low AC, and I feel like there's gotta be a better way to divide up abilities, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with this. Are there any glaring problems that I'm just not seeing? Any suggestions as to prestige classes/changes in build that would better mirror what I'm going for?

Thanks in advance for reading!