PDA

View Full Version : Best Class Analogues for a WoW Campaign?

Hawk7915
2012-08-30, 10:51 PM
World of Warcraft, for anyone unfamiliar with the acronym. This is partly a thought exercise, but it's also what I'd probably suggest to my group if we were going to finally give 4E a shot. Clearly 4E is not World of Warcraft, but I think it replicates the system much more closely than 3.5 does (by largely avoiding Linear Warrior, Quadratic Wizard). The thing is, there isn't a 1 to 1 translation for every WoW class and race in 4E...so what's the best approximations? Or would homebrew be necessary for a campaign set in Azeroth?

My initial thoughts (as a total greenhorn to the system):

Races:
Alliance:
Human = Human
Gnome = Gnome
Dwarf = Dwarf (all easy enough)
Night Elf = Elf or possibly Drow
Draenei = Deva or Githzerai?
Worgen = Shifter

Horde:
Orc = Half-orc
Tauren = Minotaur
Forsaken = Revenant
Troll = Satyr (heavy refluffing required, but the racials seem to fit)
Blood Elf = Eladrin
Goblin = Goblin? (not thrilled here, suggestions?)

Neutral Races:
Ogre = Goliath
Ethereal = Shadar-kai
Pandaren = Wilden

Classes: This is where it gets harder.

- Warlock, Hunter, and Rogue are easy. They are pretty much just Warlock, Ranger, and Rogue (although Assassin would be allowable in Rogue's stead). Mage is pretty much just Wizard, although arguably a Sorcerer would fit just as well.

- Paladin, Warrior, and Druid require a little bit more creativity. I think Paladin can be represented by Paladin or Cleric (for Holy spec). Warrior could be a Fighter (Protection), Barbarian (Fury), or Warlord (Arms). Druid's feral and balance sides are kind of covered by the base Druid class; the Sentinel from HotFK can cover Restoration. Not perfect, but close enough.

- Monk can be done with Monk, possibly Warden for a tanking Monk. For healing, I actually wonder if Bard might be a good fit, or possibly Ardent?

- Death Knight and Priest are tougher still. Death Knight...I think maybe Hexblade or Blackguard would play like them? Not a fan of Blackguard's lack of elemental attacks and Hexblade's tendency to dump STR, however. Shadow Priests could easily be done as Invokers, but there really is no "cloth wearing uber ranged leader" archetype that I know of in 4E to represent Holy and Discipline priests.

- I have just no idea how one would represent Shamans in 4E. Shaman feels a bit off and would only cover Restoration Shamans at any rate.

In addition to the 11 classes found in game, a pen and paper campaign using 4E could use Artificer (to represent tinkerers and engineers), Rune Priest (dwarven priests are repeatedly called as such), and Seekers (to represent Troll Shadowhunters).

Thoughts on how to represent the trickier classes? Anything I missed? General suggestions on running a campaign set in the World of Warcraft?

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 11:11 PM
As someone that came from WoW to 4E, and I played a Shaman, I've been trying to build one ever since.

Things that define Shaman to me, in 4E terminology:
Chainmail armor and a light shield
Elemental ranged powers
Healing
Buffing
The ability to dual wield in melee

I think all but the last one can accomplished by the Bard, though Warlock pacts would make a good deal of thematic sense. Perhaps Tempest Fighter Bard hybrid, or Bardbarain with hybrid armor.

As someone that also played Draenei, mechanically I focused on their self healing "encounter" ability above the rest.

Honestly, I think a rather large amount of this would have to be home-brewed, but at least you have a plethora of options to draw from. I'd recommend asking each player want's from their character, their race/class/"build" combination, and go from there.

Mandrake
2012-08-31, 08:32 AM
I'd just like to add, on Tegu's example, that you cannot recreate a class from WoW in 4e completely. When you play a Shaman in WoW you specialize in a talent tree, which enables you to, for example, dual wield. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to. So, instead of just trying to copy-paste classes, please consider the few various modes in which a class can be played in WoW as different classes, and treat them separately. You won't get that much of versatility in DnD as that class (even with that spec) would have in WoW, but you'll, in my opinion, get the sensation and the looks of it (plus you won't be underpowered by all o' that jack-of-all-trades thing).

Good luck with your work! :)

NothingButCake
2012-08-31, 09:11 AM
Enh shamans seem like barbarians to me, channeling spirits to hack enemies apart.

theNater
2012-08-31, 12:42 PM
Wisdom-based Clerics feel a lot like WoWs healing Priests, with the Strength-based Clerics still representing holy Paladins.

Demonology Warlocks might be represented by (heavily refluffed) 4e Shaman, with the spirit companion being the demon.

Barbarian might be a good choice for a Death Knight, with a different power selection than the fury Warrior.

A melee Bard might be an interesting choice for a resto Shaman. Similarly, a Sorcerer or Wizard who who sticks mostly to cold, fire and lightning might work for an elemental Shaman.

Urpriest
2012-08-31, 02:24 PM
I like the idea of Barbarians for Enhancement Shaman. Fighter can cover the other types of Fighter (just because something is DPS in WoW doesn't mean it needs to be a Striker), or you could throw in Slayers and Berserkers and the like.

For a Death Knight, what about Essentials Clerics with the Death domain?

Tegu8788
2012-08-31, 04:14 PM
I think the Blackguard would make a pretty good Death Knight. Cold and necrotic damage in plate armor, what more do you want?

Badgerish
2012-09-01, 04:45 AM
Pure strength Cleric, Hybrid Cleric|Barbarian or Cleric|Ranger are options to make a decent Enhancement Shaman, with both magic and melee.

Weapons with 'Heavy Thrown' and elemental damage keywords (e.g. a Flaming Handaxe) are simple stand-ins for ranged blasts.

Personally, I would refluff the races into WoW races you you have planned, but have no restrictions on classes. If the players want to emulate a WoW class, leave it open for how they do that.

Guidelines are good, but not restrictions.

Hawk7915
2012-09-02, 11:44 PM
Fantastic advice everyone, thank you!

Pure strength Cleric, Hybrid Cleric|Barbarian or Cleric|Ranger are options to make a decent Enhancement Shaman, with both magic and melee.

Weapons with 'Heavy Thrown' and elemental damage keywords (e.g. a Flaming Handaxe) are simple stand-ins for ranged blasts.

Personally, I would refluff the races into WoW races you you have planned, but have no restrictions on classes. If the players want to emulate a WoW class, leave it open for how they do that.

Guidelines are good, but not restrictions.

This in particular stood out...I think I'll probably roll it that way. If they say "I want to build my Human Frost Mage", we'll do that, and if they want to be a D&D Shaman with no fluffing and no affiliation with WoW shamans, that's also fine.

Fecar
2012-09-05, 05:26 PM
I put some thought into this myself and considered running a 4E game in the WoW setting. Since the next expansion is not out, I have not considered the newest race and class.

General Campaign:
If you are going to do a campaign in the WoW setting, I would decide how serious the game is going to be. A very relaxed and a tabletop version of the MMO could mean that death is easy to overcome, opposite faction npcs could gank them, there could be very easy travel, battlegrounds, etc.

If you are going to play more serious and go through the lore then you could start with the lore of patch 1.1 and as the PC's completed quests, cleared dungeons and raids then the world would change. You could start with no Naxxramas or Ahn-Qiraj as vanilla started and include the undead, Qiraj and demon invasions events and the Cataclysm event.

Races:
For races, first I looked at what the races offered in WoW and how they differed. Unlike in D&D, WoW races are not really any more or less effective at being different classes, there are only some class restrictions. The main difference is appearance and racial abilities.

Since in WoW all races are equally good at being say warriors, this should be reflected in their racial statics. Each of the races gets a +2 to one ability score of their choice, an extra feat, +1 to Fort, Ref, Will and a racial ability. All races have speed 6 and there are no small restrictions for Gnomes and Goblins. Balance wise, this is the same as the essentials human with a new WoW based racial ability instead of Heroic Effort. Of course, if you do this then you will have to ignore all the racial feats in D&D.

Looking at what WoW races get for racial abilities:
Alliance:
Humans: Every Man for Himself - removes all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your character.
Dwarf: Stoneform - remove poison, disease, and bleed effects, +10% Armor for 8 seconds.
Gnome: Escape Artist - escape the effects of any immobilization or movement speed reduction effect.
Nightelf: Shadowmeld - activate to slip into the shadows, reducing the chance for enemies to detect your presence.
Draenei: Gift of the Naaru - heals the target for 20% of their total health over 15 sec.
Worgen: Darkflight - activates your true form, increasing movement speed by 40% for 10 sec.
Worgen: Two Forms - turn into your currently inactive form.

Horde:
Orc: Blood Fury - activate to increase attack power and spell damage by an amount based on level/class for 15 seconds.
Troll: Berserking - activate to increase attack and casting speed by 20% for 10 seconds.
Tauren: War Stomp - activate to stun opponents - Stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds.
Forsaken: Will of the Forsaken - removes any Charm, Fear and Sleep effect.
Bloodelf: Arcane Torrent - activate to silence all enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds.
Goblin: Rocket Jump - activates your rocket belt to jump forward.

What I would do for racial abilities is as follows. I tried to make this balanced while keeping the feel of the WoW racial abilities. For example the Human vs Gnome racial abilities: since the Human racial removes more deadly effects, I have this as a roll to save but the Gnome is an automatic success. Same goes for the Dwarf. This may require some more balancing.
Alliance:
Humans: Every Man for Himself - Encounter, no action, roll at start of turn saving throws for any save ends stun, daze, slow, immobilize, dominate.
Dwarf: Stoneform - Encounter, no action, at start of turn, remove all poison and disease effects. Until end of your next turn, gain a +2 bonus to AC.
Gnome: Escape Artist - Encounter, no action, at start of turn, remove all slow and immobilizing effects.
Nightelf: Shadowmeld - Encounter, minor action, you become hidden. Any movement requires you to make a stealth check to stay hidden.
Draenei: Gift of the Naaru - Encounter, minor action, you or one ally within 10 can spend a healing surge.
Worgen: Darkflight - Encounter, minor action, until end of your next turn your movement speed is 8.
Worgen: Two Forms - At Will, minor action, turn into your currently inactive form.

Horde:
Orc: Blood Fury - Encounter, minor action, until end of your next turn, gain +2 damage on all attacks. Increase to +4 at level 11 and +6 at level 21.
Troll: Berserking - Encounter, minor action, use one of your at-will attack powers.
Tauren: War Stomp - Encounter, minor action, highest stat +2 vs fort, close burst 1, each creature is dazed. Increase attack roll to +4 at level 11 and +6 at level 21.
Forsaken: Will of the Forsaken - Encounter, no action, roll at start of turn saving throws for any save ends stun, daze or dominate.
Bloodelf: Arcane Torrent - Encounter, immediate interrupt, target casts a spell, highest stat + 2vs ref, close burst 2, one enemy, enemy does not cast the spell and their action was used but spell is not expended. Increase to +4 at level 11 and +6 at level 21.
Goblin: Rocket Jump - Encounter, move action, teleport 5 squares.

Classes
Some of the classes vary a great deal on how they play depending on spec and for those, I have listed each spec and the associated D&D class I think fits well.

Warrior, Arms = Fighter(Slayer), Fury = Fighter(Weapon Master){Tempest Technique}, Prot = Fighter(Knight)
Death Knight = Paladin(Blackguard) or Warlock(Hexblade)??
Paladin, Holy = Cleric(Templar){Strenth cleric, Battle Cleric's Lore}, Prot = Paladin, Ret = Paladin
Shaman, Elemental = Sorcerer??, Resto = Shaman, Enchanment = Barbarian
Hunter = Ranger
Rogue = Rogue
Druid, Resto = Druid(Sentinel), Feral = Druid{Primal Swarm Aspect}, Balance = Druid{Primal Wrath Aspect}
Priest, Shadow = Invoker, Holy/Disc = Cleric(Templar){wisdom cleric}
Warlock = Warlock
Mage = Wizard or Sorcerer

It may also be worth thinking about what version of WoW you are tying to emulate since some of the classes had some large changes from vranilla WoW to Cata. For example, if I wanted to make a vanilla WoW Paladin in D&D, it would be a Cleric no matter the spec - the spec would only determine what powers I selected.

Some of those will require quite of bit of refluffing to make them fit thematically and I wouldnt say no to any player who had a decent build to emulate a WoW class. Also, I want to keep this simple so I did not include any hybrids/multiclasses. A hybrid Fighter|Cleric could feel a lot like a WoW Prot or Ret Paladin depending on power selection and I think this could work decently.

The most important thing about selecting a class and powers when making the character is to first think about what spells/abilities/features in WoW really give the feel to the class/spec and go from there.

PS

If you are going to start buffing the classes to give them powers or features to make them feel more like their WoW counterpart, like say a pet ghoul for a (unholy DK) Blackguard, I would not be afraid to do so, remembering that the PC's are not fighting each other or other PC's so they dont need to be perfectly balanced. Maybe one custom feature or power each to really drive home that spec as not to go overboard and totally unbalance them.

Knivesthebrutal
2017-11-09, 10:43 AM
I've found the wow pen and paper rpg to be very faithful to the game at large.