PDA

View Full Version : The Twisted Dungeon of Chaos [IC1]

Joshua
2012-08-31, 02:52 AM
You stand besides a solid steel door, with no indications of what is behind it, set into a stone face at the base of a cliff. Various rumours from towns in the nearby area - the ones who don't tell you to stay well away - suggest that this is an entrance to the Twisted Dungeon of Chaos, home to untold riches. Nobody knows what is actually inside though, since everybody who has previously entered has perished inside or been driven mad.

Closer inspection reveals faint markings engraved on the door. A circular symbol in the middle of the door, with the a flame to the left, a drop of water to the right, stones to the bottom and the wind to the top. There are no other markings on the door at all, nor any handle or indication of how to open it.

Medic!
2012-08-31, 08:15 AM
Sigmund the Devoured

Sigmund speaks a loud prayer to Kord in a voice that sounds like gravel inside a steel bucket, Mighty Kord, may I find redemption beyond this door! He glances about himself at his new-found companions on this plunge into what is sure to be a dangerous adventure and his lips pull back into what he hopes is a reassuring grin. Stay sharp, stay wary. Take no uneccessary risks. I'll do my best to protect you all in this hunt for glory. Now we just have to enter...might these markers be some kind of elemental key? Or a diabolical trap?

Lexin
2012-08-31, 08:34 AM
Ander Kaitan

Ander yawns without even trying to hide it.
"Arr, shut up. If you are going to be so talkative all the way I guess we will eat you first when we run out of food... Maybe it will count as noble sacrifice..." He spares Sigmund an appraising look "...on the other hand you don't really look edible..."

Shaking his head he approaches the door thinking deeply what the symbols could mean. His face looks like he is trying to accomplish a really difficult task... and he gives up. He decides to poke the symbols though trying to find out if they can be moved. (starting from stones going clockwise)

Joshua
2012-08-31, 09:44 AM
The door is solid steel, and don't react in any way when you poke them.

Lexin
2012-08-31, 09:48 AM
Ander Kaitan

Ander stares at the door with his 'thinking face' on. Observing the reaction (no reaction actually).
A while later.
"Okay, did anyone bring a key?"

Medic!
2012-08-31, 10:17 AM
Sigmund the Devoured

Maybe you should try eating it he says with a smirk. Sigmund pulls his waterskin out and squirts the door with it. My best guess is that we have to expose the door to each element shown, or perhaps interact with each element somewhere near-by.

Joshua
2012-08-31, 10:35 AM
As the water from the waterskin splatters over the circle, the door fades out as if it was never there. Behind the gap left by the door is a stairway down into the darkness. The stairs and the walls appear to be made out of solid ice, and you don't dare move quickly across them for fear of losing your balance.

Lexin
2012-08-31, 10:43 AM
Ander Kaitan

"Nice! ... Wait a minute... water... ice... Why didn't you throw some earth there?!? Now we will freeze off our asses..."

"Still better than fire though..."

He looks in the darkness, and on the slippery floor...

"Want to go first?"

Daftendirekt
2012-08-31, 11:06 AM
A young, dark-haired gnome finally makes his presence known with a "Weeeeee!" as he runs through his larger companions and slides on his feet down the icy hallway. He holds his staff horizontally in both hands to keep himself balanced, and once he slows to a halt, he turns back to his friends and waves. "Come on in, smellies!"

Lexin
2012-08-31, 11:17 AM
Ander Kaitan

Now, as there is someone before him to break his fall Ander just shrugs and follows.

I really hope I can 'take 10' on balance check...
If not
[roll0]

Medic!
2012-08-31, 11:24 AM
Sigmund the Ice Skater

Sigmund moves into the doorway as soon as the orc goes down, and with a chuckle follows immediately after him, giving himself a little push-off with his boot as he skids out on to the ice.

[roll0]

Joshua
2012-08-31, 11:28 AM
Welkin goes charging in full-pelt, loses his footing on the icy floor and goes flying, eventually landing face first in front of a solid wooden door. Ander follows carefully and makes it safely to the bottom, before Sigmund slips and falls down the stairs as well

[roll0] non-lethal for Sigmund as well

Lexin
2012-08-31, 11:31 AM
Ander Kaitan

Short look of disregard later.
"Weaklings..."

Daftendirekt
2012-08-31, 11:35 AM
As Welkin gets to his feet and brushes himself off, he notices the door in front of them. His face lights up with an excited expression and he shoves his hand into his haversack and pulls out a large disk which he instantly slaps onto the door's surface, where it sticks.

"Now the door won't make ANY noise when we open it! Sneaky, see?"

Using his Silent Portal DiskMoF165.

Lexin
2012-08-31, 11:42 AM
Ander Kaitan

"...Should have tried it before you tried to break it with your face..."

Medic!
2012-08-31, 12:06 PM
Sigmund

Great minds think alike, we were both trying to break our noses so we couldn't smell you, Sigmund whispers, followed by a quiet chuckle. He pats the gnome on the back and gives him a thumbs-up for the crafty thinking.

Joshua
2012-08-31, 05:06 PM
At the bottom of the stairs, you now notice that there is a corridor that leads off to the right, away from the door. You can't see very well in the darkness but it looks like there is a shadowy opening on the right hand side of this passage about 10-15' away...

Anyone with darkvision will see that the passage turns right after about 20' and that 10' down it there is another right hand turn

Lexin
2012-08-31, 05:22 PM
Ander Kaitan

"We just entered and there are already 3 ways to choose...

Any preference on which way we check first?

Daftendirekt
2012-08-31, 05:34 PM
Welkin plants his fists on his hips and kicks the Silenced door in front of him, which makes no sound at all. "Obviously we're going this way! Why else would I put my thingy on the door?!"

Joshua
2012-08-31, 05:53 PM
Welkin kicks the door, and there's a pop, some sparks and a billow of steam erupts from around the edges.

Lexin
2012-08-31, 05:56 PM
Ander Kaitan

"See what you did?! You broke the door!"

"And probably your thingy didn't help...

Medic!
2012-08-31, 05:56 PM
Sigmund the Martyr?

Sigmund interjects himself between the gnome and the door as quickly as he can, fearful that the smaller man might be injured. Your thingy looks dangerous, little one!

Daftendirekt
2012-08-31, 06:07 PM
"My thingy, my thingy!" Welkin cries out, prying it off the door and backing away fearfully while clutching it to his chest. "I swear it wasn't me! I'm tiny, I couldn't possibly have caused that!"

He glares around at the larger folk, certain it was one of them.

Epstein
2012-09-01, 10:38 PM
"I certainly picked an odd group to join this time," Ali thought to himself as his companions started their decent down the icy flight. Approaching the threshold, Ali had to agree with Ander's comment about using earth. Still, it could have been worse. Ali reached over into the bag on his back and pulled out a sunrod, slaming it into the ground to trigger the illumination.

"Come on then," Ali said as he turned back to face the other human in the group, "Let's not let these clowns get there and take all the goodies." With a smile on his face he started creeping his way down the stairs, trying to keep solid footing.

Balance check - [roll0]

Joshua
2012-09-02, 04:15 AM
Carefully making his way down, Ali gets about halfway down the stairs safely before slipping and sliding the rest of the way to join the others.

[roll0] non-lethal damage here

Epstein
2012-09-02, 07:57 AM
With the trouble of the stairs behind him, Ali propped himself up and stood with the others, his pride a little more injured then his buttocks. "Well, that could have been smoother."

Looking around, he could barley make out anything in the Darkness. The dim light from the reflection of his sunrod off the icy wasn't helping enough to navigate anymore in the area. Reaching around to his pack, he pulled out a wooden stick with a thick cloth wrap around one end, tied in a knot. Undoing the knot, the cloth fell off to reveal a fire without heat burning on the end. "Ahh! Now That's a little better," Ali commented out loud as he waited to hear their next course of action.

Lexin
2012-09-02, 08:02 AM
Ander Kaitan
"If it was smoother you would fall all the way..."

When the torch is lit.

"Arr, it was bright enough here." he says squinting his eyes. "Puny, almost blind humans..."

"Now... how about you go back up there and give your small human friend a kick... how long can we wait for him?"

Medic!
2012-09-02, 06:00 PM
Sigmund

Agreeing with Andar, Sigmund activates his Watch Lamp over his shoulder and walks a few feet down the cooridor to the right to investigate the shadowy opening as he says We can't wait forever, perhaps he lost his nerve. Let's see what's waiting down here since the door seems to have some....issues.