PDA

View Full Version : Leadership feat question

JohnDaBarr
2012-08-31, 07:33 AM
Can a PC have NPC followers or hired NPC with out the Leadership feat??

And if yes how loyal can these followers be (ofc those you hired are loyal to your money)?

GenghisDon
2012-08-31, 07:36 AM
Not per RAW, but it certainly should/would/could be so

alternatively, the wretched social interaction rules allow for it, somewhat

Yora
2012-08-31, 07:53 AM
You can just hire and pay people.

Or you can have allies, but for those the DM decides when they are going to help or not and what they might demand in return.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-31, 08:00 AM
Let's put it this way:

People you employ are paid to do a certain job. They get paid a lot more if the job is dangerous (such as adventuring), but they're not going to give up their lives for you. Would you give up your life for your job? I didn't think so.

On the other hand, people who follow you because they believe in you are so much more loyal and dependable. Of course, you still pay them something because it's the right thing to do (probably), but they aren't following you for the money. They're ready to lay their lives down for the cause if necessary.

That's the difference between normal hirelings and cohorts/followers.

Urpriest
2012-08-31, 08:04 AM
Hirelings are another thing, even explicitly in the chapter with Leadership.

As for having loyal followers without the Leadership feat, it's certainly possible if it fits the story, but I would suggest that such things be limited. In the end, D&D is balanced around the idea that PCs have mostly their own resources to fall back on. If they can just throw loyal minions at a problem without paying them, you lose sight of the point of the game.

prufock
2012-08-31, 08:07 AM
You can certainly hire mercenaries or servants to help you out. Hirelings are in the Goods and Services section of the SRD/PHB.

"Followers" is sort of a strictly defined term for the Leadership feat, so no go (they don't get paid and don't gain XP).

However, there are other ways to temporarily gain allies. Enchantment spells, diplomacy/bluff skills, summons, etc.

ahenobarbi
2012-08-31, 08:13 AM

And if yes how loyal can these followers be (ofc those you hired are loyal to your money)?

I think you can have hirelings without Leadership. I don't think yo can have "followers" without leadership (or similar feat or class feature).

Hirelings are as loyal as your DM makes them. It probably depends who you hire (hired warrior shouldn't run from fight but hired mule-tender could).

Tyndmyr
2012-08-31, 08:24 AM

Yes, per stronghold builders guide/dmg 2.

It varies wildly, depending on situation and pay.

jackattack
2012-08-31, 05:46 PM
Hirelings are hirelings. At base pay, they owe you squat. I like to cut all of the various henches and hirelings in for a share of the loot -- one share for each party member, one share divided among the members of our entourage. That gives them a stake in the adventure, and at the very least keeps the mule-tender from taking off with all the horses.

Loyalty is going to be a matter of roleplaying. If you treat your people well, they will (more likely) be loyal. If you treat them like servants, they will (more likely) abandon you when the chips are down.

Before the follower/leadership rules existed, a DM gave my druid/ranger an ogre cohort. The ogre was impressed when my character beat him without killing him, and became a friend to the character and the party.