PDA

View Full Version : Useful followers

ILM
2012-08-31, 08:16 AM
Leadership brings tons of followers, none of which are usable in a routine adventure due to, well, being weak. Usually I've seen them sort of handwaved as "oh, they're a bunch of level 1, 2, 3 or 4 warriors" with maybe the few higher levels statted up.

But I'm sure there are actually a number of ways to make a very low level character useful to a party of higher-level adventurers. By themselves - not with a hundred guys aiding each other on skill checks, or with all the teamwork feats you can think of.

Rules I'll be assuming here: PC races, templates and classes allowed without adjustment to the followers' levels (beyond the normal LAs of course), minimal gold though.

Here are a few examples:
- a Warblade 5 can, every two rounds, use White Raven Tactics on a PC. Two warblades can pretty much give him a second round every round. Mobility would help them stay alive in a fray.
- low-level Diplomancer can get +30-ish to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate
- a level 4 dedicated crafter can brew any poison published by WotC (see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242790))
- a Dragon Shaman 1 can heal all day long; a Binder 4 with Improved Binding and Sacred Healing can do it better

So basically, utility characters of level 5/6 or below who either stay home or stay away from trouble, and provide small, day-long (or infinite use) benefits to higher-level PCs.

Can you think of anything else that would be desirable and achievable with those little guys?

ahenobarbi
2012-08-31, 08:21 AM
Making money for PC
Crafting items (mundane and simple magical)
Circle magic
Providing entertainment

Roguenewb
2012-08-31, 10:19 AM
I believe the business rules in Dmg 2 have a benefit for followers working there. Regardless, if you have a lot of downtime the business rules can thrash wbl

Uncle Pine
2012-08-31, 12:48 PM
Chicken infested commoners can pretty much rule the world :smallcool:

Vizzerdrix
2012-08-31, 01:20 PM
The commoner Handbook (and a few related topics floating around) would be a good place to look for inspiration. Warforged Shapers could send wave after wave of Astral Constructs ahead of the party to soften up targets and spring traps (and make great craftsmen too).

Yora
2012-08-31, 02:16 PM
The general idea is that you can't hand pick followers with specific builds.
Making a call for psionic manifesters is a reasonable request to the GM, but getting only shapers with specific feats is not something to be expected.

I think followers are best used not on the front, but for support in the back. While you are in the battle doing the fighting, your followers are trusted assistants to take care about countess other things in the meantime.
You have found the villains lair and need reinforcements from the Duke while blocking the exit, then send a follower with a note. When you need a lookout to tell you when enemy reinforcements arrive, that's a follower job. Or have them build defenses and build bridges while you are dealing with more difficult things.

Followers are weak, but the best thing about them is that they are loyal. Unlike hired help, they don't run off when things get sour or it becomes difficult to pay them, and they won't betray you willingly. You can't be at several places at once, but followers can.

laeZ1
2012-08-31, 03:01 PM
I think followers are best used not on the front

An experpt from Zap Brannigan's Big Book of War.

Also, Fix'd.:smallbiggrin:

Which brings up an interesting point... If you pull a ZB and send wave after wave of your own men at them, until the killbots reach their kill limit and explode... you get a -2 to your leadership score.

But you don't lose your leadership feat.

How long does it take for the new cannon fodder recruits to follow you blindly?

Alabenson
2012-08-31, 03:39 PM
An experpt from Zap Brannigan's Big Book of War.

Also, Fix'd.:smallbiggrin:

Which brings up an interesting point... If you pull a ZB and send wave after wave of your own men at them, until the killbots reach their kill limit and explode... you get a -2 to your leadership score.

But you don't lose your leadership feat.

How long does it take for the new cannon fodder recruits to follow you blindly?

This is actually a standard tactic for Thrallherds, who have an ability similar to Leadership, except that A) sacrificing their follower analogues has no downside and B) their replacement followers arrive in 24 hours.

TRAP DETECTION SQUADRON ALPHA, MOVE OUT!

Loki_42
2012-08-31, 04:43 PM
Until you get to to high in levels, followers that use primarily touch attacks, like Warlocks, can remain somewhat useful for dealing damage. Also, seconding crafting and businesses.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-31, 04:48 PM
Artificers and Factotums oh my!

I do like the idea of an army of chicken infested commoners, who open chicken houses all across Eberron and remit 10% of their profits to you in return for protection.

Alabenson
2012-08-31, 04:51 PM
Artificers and Factotums oh my!

I do like the idea of an army of chicken infested commoners, who open chicken houses all across Eberron and remit 10% of their profits to you in return for protection.

Bonus points for doing this if your character was an officer during the Last War and said chicken houses use your character's likeness for marketing :smalltongue:.