PDA

View Full Version : Help with an L5R character [L5R 4th ed]

BadJuJu
2012-08-31, 09:18 AM
I recently had my Shosuro shugenja die in a game (opened a black scroll and became the walking horror of fu lang) so I need some ideas for a character. I have 105 insight and am thinking of a Hiruma Bushi, but it's not turning out like I had imagined. Any help would be appreciated.

houlio
2012-08-31, 02:35 PM
Do you mean you have 105 experience points to spend? Because even if you put all starting points on a rank 1 character into advantages, you should have more insight than that.

For actual advice, I'd recommend making sure you have some good rings, and upping your earth and fire is an easy enough place to start. I'm not sure about skills, being fairly inexperienced with the game myself. Being a bushi though, I can heartily recommend taking the advantage strength of earth as a standard option, since you get it extra cheap. Do you have access to any kata or ancestors?

BadJuJu
2012-08-31, 03:43 PM
Do you mean you have 105 experience points to spend? Because even if you put all starting points on a rank 1 character into advantages, you should have more insight than that.

For actual advice, I'd recommend making sure you have some good rings, and upping your earth and fire is an easy enough place to start. I'm not sure about skills, being fairly inexperienced with the game myself. Being a bushi though, I can heartily recommend taking the advantage strength of earth as a standard option, since you get it extra cheap. Do you have access to any kata or ancestors?

My Hiruma is actually from the Yogo family. Part of my back ground. No katas yet, but would like Strength of the crab or Veiled Menace. I have strength of the earth earmarked, cause its butch.

IdleMuse
2012-08-31, 05:49 PM
Describe what you want your Hiruma Bushi to be like? Because, oftentimes, the Hiruma Scout school actually works better for Hiruma characters.

Fenix_of_Doom
2012-09-01, 10:18 AM
For actual advice, I'd recommend making sure you have some good rings, and upping your earth and fire is an easy enough place to start.

I understand the use of a high earth ring(more HP basically), but what is the use of a high fire ring?

Beleriphon
2012-09-01, 06:55 PM
I understand the use of a high earth ring(more HP basically), but what is the use of a high fire ring?

Doesn't the fire ring control your melee attacks?

houlio
2012-09-02, 11:00 PM

Most bushi start with 3 agility anyways, so you only have to increase intelligence to get a fire of 3. It's a quick way to up your insight to start out, depending on your specific family and school. I don't have my books to look it up, but intelligence is also used in a lot of skills, and L5R emphasizes non-combat stuff quite a bit.

Fenix_of_Doom
2012-09-05, 04:18 AM
Most bushi start with 3 agility anyways, so you only have to increase intelligence to get a fire of 3. It's a quick way to up your insight to start out, depending on your specific family and school. I don't have my books to look it up, but intelligence is also used in a lot of skills, and L5R emphasizes non-combat stuff quite a bit.

The relative cheap insight is a good point, but skill wise I'd take awareness over intelligence as a bushi, most social skills are tied to awareness, it's useful for duelling and it's tied with reflexes, another useful trait.