PDA

View Full Version : Slender: He's always coming for you.

Sipex
2012-08-31, 02:43 PM
So, for those of you who haven't heard about it before, I've recently come across the game Slender. If you know the Slenderman mythos at all you've probably already guessed what this game is about.

Essentially, you're a young woman, plopped in the middle of a dark forest with a flashlight and the objective "Find all 8 notes". Sounds easy enough, except you're not alone.

As you slowly search for the eight notes the internet famous entity, Slenderman, stalks you. He could be anywhere, watching from the distance, around a corner or RIGHT BEHIND YOU OMG RUN!!!11!!!

Get all 8 notes, don't get caught.

Slender: The Game (http://www.parsecproductions.net/slender/)

edit: Also, it's free, that's important. Completely and utterly free to play.

Cespenar
2012-09-01, 12:36 AM
Also one might look up a video from youtube about this game and 11 drunk guys playing it. Edited the link out just in case, since there is some heavy swearing in it.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-09-01, 05:55 AM
Also relevant: 11 drunk guys play Slender. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXwkfSmYkf4)

Heaps of NSFW language in that vid, just as a heads up. Hilarious, but the sheer volume of slurs might be offputting.

Winthur
2012-09-01, 06:14 AM
screw you guys i just played scp containment breach .__________.

Cespenar
2012-09-01, 08:01 AM
Heaps of NSFW language in that vid, just as a heads up. Hilarious, but the sheer volume of slurs might be offputting.

Oh, right, true. Hmm. I'm editing it out, then, just in case.

Seharvepernfan
2012-09-02, 01:20 PM
Can you actually beat this game?

I've only seen one video of a guy getting all 8 pages, but the slenderman still got him. Granted, he stood still after getting the last one. Do you have to get to the fence?

Cobalt
2012-09-02, 06:43 PM
Pretty sure that victory does mean you get caught anyway but with eight pieces of paper in your pocket. A fitting ending, if I say so myself, for a Slender Man game.

I lost it when I heard of this game, which was almost immediately. I'm a huge Slender Man fanatic. I was sooo fanboying over all the direct Marble Hornets references (red tower, big ol' concrete tube thing, etc.) in Slender, too. Of course, I'm too much a coward to beat the game.* And the alt maps, *shiver*.

*I guess that means I might be wrong that losing happens when you win, but I think I remember the creator saying somewhere that the ending was on purpose that way. It'd be interesting if getting to the fence showed you jumping it and then looking back and SM is just chilling on the other side, the loser of that round.

Selpharia
2012-09-02, 07:01 PM
My roommate loves this game and I find it so terrifying it's hard to even watch someone play it. The single flashlight, the eerieness of the deserted location, and that horrible fog and static combine to create a terror that is absolute.

I also am terrified by that random occurrence where they shovre static at you and re-orient your vision upward. The only thing is I'm not very good at spotting Slenderman until he's right on top of me, so I don't get the sense that he's coming inexorably ever closer

Sipex
2012-09-04, 09:26 AM
The game has been updated so there's now a slightly satisfying ending to it. You also unlock bonus modes by getting all 8 notes.

My best is 2/8 notes so far, this is probably because I've only played once before getting caught :S

Maxios
2012-09-04, 04:01 PM
Didn't really scare me. I mean, I know all about the SM mythos, I played it all alone with the lights off but it just didn't make me want to crap my pants. Granted, I played it at 9 AM...

iyaerP
2012-09-07, 10:39 AM
I find the atmosphere and stalking to be scary, but the actual being caught is kind of a dissapointment really. And I can never get past the bathrooms, no matter what number of pages I am at.

Saithis Bladewing
2012-09-07, 12:10 PM
I think it's a really cool concept for a game but unfortunately I'm pretty much immune to scary games, I think. Played it at night and got zero reaction out of it... ah well.

Octopus Jack
2012-09-07, 12:24 PM
Been playing this a fair bit and I'm fairly sure Slenderman doesn't start stalking you until you've picked up the first note meaning you can run around and scout the map before you have to start being careful.

It makes it quite a lot easier when you know where the notes are and have already scouted the bathrooms.

Starbuck_II
2012-09-07, 01:12 PM
Been playing this a fair bit and I'm fairly sure Slenderman doesn't start stalking you until you've picked up the first note meaning you can run around and scout the map before you have to start being careful.

It makes it quite a lot easier when you know where the notes are and have already scouted the bathrooms.

This is true, and you can mark the rooms with the glow sticks (though you might get confused which are already taken then).

You seem to play relatives of the original stolen girl.

Sipex
2012-09-07, 01:29 PM
The rumours around being safe before picking up the first note aren't true actually. Slenderman stalks you from the start and, if you wait in one place too long, he eventually catches you.

From what I've seen, you're pretty safe if you keep on the move though.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-07, 01:36 PM
She's strolling through your forest, she's snatching yo' papers up! Trying to take 'em. So you better hide your slenderkids, hide your slenderwives, hide you slendermen, because she shinin' a flash light all up here.

Triscuitable
2012-09-07, 02:18 PM
She's strolling through your forest, she's snatching yo' papers up! Trying to take 'em. So you better hide your slenderkids, hide your slenderwives, hide you slendermen, because she shinin' a flash light all up here.

I'll make sure to put this in my signature later.

Seharvepernfan
2012-09-07, 04:13 PM
This is true, and you can mark the rooms with the glow sticks (though you might get confused which are already taken then).

You seem to play relatives of the original stolen girl.

Where are you getting this?

How do you activate glow sticks?

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-07, 04:38 PM
I'll make sure to put this in my signature later.

SWEET. <3

Sliver
2012-09-07, 10:21 PM
Dammit, I watched AlChestBreach's short play through Slender and you know what? I had a dream that I'm in that park and he's chasing me. Except that when I notice him from a distance and keep staring so he doesn't get closer to me, HE KEEPS COMING AFTER ME.

Damn slender, damn this game, damn the game, and damn my decision to do a let's play for this one as well sometime.

JoshL
2012-09-07, 11:57 PM
I think it's a really cool concept for a game but unfortunately I'm pretty much immune to scary games, I think. Played it at night and got zero reaction out of it... ah well.

Have you played through Fatal Frame 3? I'm pretty jaded myself, but there were a couple moment in that one that got me. And not just in the "jump scare" way that the dogs in Resident Evil 1 got me....

Starbuck_II
2012-09-08, 12:34 AM
Where are you getting this?

How do you activate glow sticks?

It was it one of the videos, the guy figured out the button to place a glow stick.

MLai
2012-09-08, 12:59 AM
How scary is this compared to Amnesia Dark Descent?
I bought that game on Steam and I still can't get back to continuing it. I haven't even seen the monster yet but the noises just started getting too scary. :smalleek:

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-08, 02:41 PM
Just watched a few videos of this on youtube. I will not be downloading it.

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 07:30 PM
Just watched a few videos of this on youtube. I will not be downloading it.

It's interesting, but also rather dull. Make of it what you will. I got pretty bored, so now I just play it listening to ambient music.

When I get really bored, crank out the GnR!

LoneStarNorth
2012-09-08, 09:24 PM
I was under the impression that this is basically just a demo, and that a more fleshed out game was in the works. I hope so. The game as-is would be a very good single level if interspersed amongst some puzzles or mystery elements. Like you have to use the pages for something after you find them.

Maxios
2012-09-08, 09:31 PM
It's interesting, but also rather dull. Make of it what you will. I got pretty bored, so now I just play it listening to ambient music.

When I get really bored, crank out the GnR!

"I don't want to set the world on fiiiiiiiiire I just want to start a flame in yo-Holycrapslenderman"

Sliver
2012-09-08, 11:01 PM
"I don't want to set the world on fiiiiiiiiire I just want to start a flame in yo-Holycrapslenderman"

Heh, not the GnR that came to my mind, 'cuz I believe it's GNR... But it oddly fits sometimes. Butcher Pete, Crazy He Calls Me, hehe... A Wonderful Guy. :smallbiggrin:

Saithis Bladewing
2012-09-10, 09:09 AM
Have you played through Fatal Frame 3? I'm pretty jaded myself, but there were a couple moment in that one that got me. And not just in the "jump scare" way that the dogs in Resident Evil 1 got me....

I've never even heard of it!

JoshL
2012-09-11, 10:08 PM
I've never even heard of it!

Project Zero in Europe. Fantastic stuff, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame) and scary in the way most horror games fail to be. Well, to me anyway.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-14, 04:29 PM
My 2 favorite Slender games (possible NSFW language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVLTdJIV4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7iqML-Gymk

Dante & Vergil
2012-09-14, 07:37 PM
I watched this version of Bane playing Slender. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXCdSMaNeE) (Yes, THAT bane.) There is probably NSFW language, but I can't remember at the top of my head. This video is definitely NSFW.* Only found this after watching a vid with 3 guys playing a different game with Slenderman chasing you down while you hunt for pages. (Which was an advertisement funny enough, so I was forcefully subjected to it! XD)

*Thanks YakYak!!

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-14, 07:56 PM
Tested, one F-bomb at start.

Sliver
2012-09-21, 11:04 AM
So yeah, I finally got to it myself. I invite you to my own LP of Slender (http://youtu.be/2-pfpcbrUwk).

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-21, 01:23 PM
Aww, you didn't scream as much as the others...

Sliver
2012-09-22, 01:23 AM
I think horrible singing and mocking the sky a bit helped keep the terror within. :smalltongue:

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-22, 01:30 AM
For the record, that was an awesome song. However, my favorite game of Slender shall always be this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVLTdJIV4U)

NSFW language, but that's a given when playing Slender.

Sliver
2012-09-22, 01:35 AM
I enjoyed watching this LP of Slender (http://blip.tv/yugioh-the-abridged-series/marik-plays-slender-6359133) :smalltongue:

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-22, 01:47 AM
I... don't know what to say about that one...

That's one of the better done attempts at a comedy interperetation of this game.

Seharvepernfan
2012-10-09, 03:01 AM
**** (http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/312271_S/slender-the-arrival-announced.jpg) just (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/09/slender-arrival-2-1348426517.jpg) got real. (http://slenderarrival.com/)

RagingKrikkit
2012-10-09, 10:58 AM
Guess what I won't be buying.

Seharvepernfan
2012-10-10, 03:19 AM
Guess what I will be buying!

I haven't been this excited for a new game since Skyrim. It's about time a scary game came along that could potentially rival Deadspace.

Acanous
2012-10-11, 07:15 PM
I don't understand how people find this game hard. o.0
The level never changes. Only the positions of the pages. Scout the level and locate all 8 pages before picking any up. He won't catch you.
Then make a mad dash through all the pages. Start with the one in the bathroom if there's one there.

You might get really unlucky and find him around a corner, but honestly you've got really good odds of just beating it.

Like Tic-Tac-Toe. Once you know the secret, it takes a slip to lose.

Eurus
2012-10-11, 09:20 PM
The level never changes. Only the positions of the pages. Scout the level and locate all 8 pages before picking any up. He won't catch you.
Then make a mad dash through all the pages. Start with the one in the bathroom if there's one there.

You might get really unlucky and find him around a corner, but honestly you've got really good odds of just beating it.

I doubt many people replay once they've beat it the first time, though? It seems like it's more about the creepy vibe than the gameplay.

RagingKrikkit
2012-10-14, 12:07 PM

That thought occured to me, too. Only problem is that Captain Sparklez was so horrible at Slender that he:

1. Found Slenderman before picking up the first page.

2. Lost his flashlight battery and Slender got him.

Surrealistik
2012-10-14, 12:49 PM
I watched this version of Bane playing Slender. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXCdSMaNeE) (Yes, THAT bane.

Easily the best LP of this game posted to YT.

Arbane
2012-10-14, 01:47 PM
Project Zero in Europe. Fantastic stuff, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame) and scary in the way most horror games fail to be. Well, to me anyway.

I haven't played the third yet, but the first two Fatal Frame games are excellent.

To quote a guy on RPGnet about Fatal Frame 1:

"After a while, it got to be too much for me, and I had to play Metal Gear Solid to calm down. I decided to play a man killing heavily armed terrorists with my bare hands because a schoolgirl taking photos in an abandoned house was freaking me out."

Sliver
2012-10-15, 10:57 AM
On my best playthrough (5 pages) he started chasing me while I was in the bathroom before finding the first page... Can it be in the version I was playing (0.9.7) he's chasing you if you delay too much?

Sipex
2012-10-15, 12:30 PM
I believe how it works is that he's always chasing you, but his speed (and possibly other factors) are determined by how many pages you have. At first he starts out slow enough that most people won't see him until they start picking up pages.

Acanous
2012-10-15, 08:40 PM
I believe how it works is that he's always chasing you, but his speed (and possibly other factors) are determined by how many pages you have. At first he starts out slow enough that most people won't see him until they start picking up pages.

This is correct. He's always after you, but in the beginning you can outrun him easilly.

You can still outrun him up to (I think) the 3 page mark at normal speed, after which you need to sprint. After 5 or 6 pages he's faster than you sprinting.

Sliver
2012-10-16, 03:32 AM
Doesn't the music change depending on how many pages you have and his speed? Because that banging sound I always heard after the first page besides that one time that it took me a while to get it, where it started a bit before I even got it...

Seharvepernfan
2012-10-16, 11:45 AM
Yes, after enough time, he does start coming for you, even if you don't have the first page. Even if you never move from the starting point.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-17, 06:48 PM
So, for those of you who haven't heard about it before, I've recently come across the game Slender. If you know the Slenderman mythos at all you've probably already guessed what this game is about.

Trogdor? Does Trogdor chase you around, 'cause that'd be awesome!

But no, I haven't yet played the game, but it is on my to do list. I just discovered Team Fortress 2 a few weeks ago.