PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Build critique?

GreenSerpent
2012-08-31, 02:47 PM
Hey all,

Any chance this build could be critiqued? I'm looking for it to be quite strong~

Race: TN Human (Lantanna), patron deity Shar
Base Stats: STR 13, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 15, WIS 8, CHA 17 (Lvlup bonuses go CHA, INT, CHA, CHA, CHA in that order)

Classes: Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Spellsinger 3/Sublime Chord 2/Shadow Adept 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsinger 2/Sublime Chord 1

Flaws: Murky-Eyed (wears glasses), Vulnerable.

Feats:
1st: Apprentice (soldier)
Human: Able Learner
FLAW: Skill Focus (perform)
FLAW: Combat Casting
3rd: Melodic Casting
6th: Improved Counterspell
9th: Shadow Weave Magic
12th: Extend Spell
15th: Mindsight
18th: Leadership

Bonus: Tenacious Magic, Pernicious Magic, Insidious Magic

Skills I'll leave out here, but he can fulfill all the pre-requisites easily.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

eggs
2012-08-31, 03:07 PM
I'm not seeing any special combos going on - am I missing something? I mean, most of your levels are giving you useful abilities, but it looks scattered - for instance, Abjurant Champion has a good framework and some bonuses to low-level Abjurations, but the Bard spell list doesn't give it much to work with; its big draw is running into the front lines and whacking things, but if you were doing that, you probably wouldn't be dinking around in Spellsinger. There's nothing wrong with that, but it seems a bit unfocused.

Sublime Chord 3 is a dead level; I'm sure you have something better to do with it, even if it's just Spellsinger 5.

I'm pretty sure one of the Complete Scoundrel magical locations lets you buy Skill Focus: Perform for a few gp and save the feat slot. I can't remember which off-hand, but it could be worth checking out.

Given the resources it looks like you're trying to invest in counterspelling/defensive casting, you might want to dip Sacred Exorcist and grab the Divine Defiance feat and Battlemagic Perception spell (it's a level 3 Wizard spell, which makes it awkward, but Extra Spell once you've gotten a Sublime Chord level should do the trick).

GreenSerpent
2012-08-31, 03:31 PM
Got the number of levels wrong (should have had all five levels of Spellsinger). Abjurant Champion was mainly added on for beefing out the character a bit.

Hmmm... I suppose I could always grab Lyric Thaumaturge for the last level.

EDIT: Slight re-imagining.

Bard 5/Mindbender 1/something 1/Spellsinger 2/Sublime Chord 2/Shadow Adept 1/fullprogressionclass x

Keld Denar
2012-08-31, 06:35 PM
Switch your Int and Cha level bumps. Skill Points are not retroactive. Doing it that way will set your DCs back by a point between 4 and 7, but evens out. The difference is, you'll never get those skill points back.

Have you considered Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils as a PrC? The prereqs are a but steep, but the class is worth it.

Tytalus
2012-09-01, 05:22 AM
You can't take your first level of Sublime Chord before 11, due to the skill requirements.