PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Cliffkill Keep: Spitfire

Kesuke
2012-08-31, 04:18 PM
Known to most as nothing more than a stone skeleton among a lone cliff in Nogsol, it was home to swords and shields before undeath swept through in the night, leaving nothing but silence behind. It was Cliffkill Keep, but now it is an unavoidable mark of cold, eerie haunting that is just as forbidding in the day as it is when the moon shines.

Old, weathered slate roofing crowns the few short towers that rise from the limed-over masonry walls. Beyond that, nothing can be seen of the courtyard interior or the fortress itself, presuming it still mostly stands. The cliff itself is a monstrous thing, full of rocky outcroppings and jagged stone blades that twist and trail along the vertical rise in dizzying arrays. It must be some five hundred feet up before giving way to any actual soil. Surely either the gods themselves made such a pedestal for this keep to stand on, or respectable magical effort was brought forth long ago - perhaps by druids, who work the most adeptly with the natural world. With such a monumental place to rest, it would have to be no small feat of construction and effort to build a fortress here, and surely it was originally meant to guard something of importance, and it may yet still.

At the base of this great, circular cliff some five hundred feet high, a modest camp has been erected in the night. A gathering of strangers has arrived at the base of Cliffkill Keep, brought perhaps by its stark shadow against the night sky, or perhaps - more troubling - they know of the place, of its gruesome past and what horror befell it those forty years ago: the legends of the lich Ullusair and his murder of the military men and women who had held the fort as a bastion of security amid an unforgiving wilderness.

As the last vestiges of sunlight disappear amid the forests to the west, the travelers begin to inspect each other, and the cliff that denies any ease of access to the keep itself. It may be their only protection from the unnatural chill of the night in this place, and the beasts which may come prowling in the dark hours. It may be their only protection, but it may be far from safe.

raspberrybadger
2012-08-31, 07:38 PM
Amina looks around, sniffs the air, and sniffs the ground. This place has Amina a little on edge, and if there is anyone around, or here recently, Amina wants to know. A place like this is worth some caution.

Wisdom check for sniffing if anyone was here recently, with a +0 bonus, and a perception check if one is called for to see tracks or stuff around the area, at a +14 bonus. Anything nearby that could be smelled is automatic I think.

Starbuck_II
2012-08-31, 08:24 PM
"Why are you smelling all around?" Gracediana said with a one eye brow up thinking Amina looks suspicious. She pets her wolf Charles as she sits by the fire. "Why are you here, come for looting or site seeing? "

ELC
2012-08-31, 10:17 PM
Grahg wipes dirt and grime off his blade with a piece of cloth ripped from his tunic. The fire bolsters the bold gold gaze piercing through his metal shell as he makes passing glances at each other adventurer.

"I'm here to prove mother was a good woman," he replies to one petting her wolf, his voice surprisingly eloquent. "Father was a bad man, not mother."

shugyosha
2012-08-31, 10:49 PM
Jinna

She looks at the others and simply says "I am here because I'm suppose to be. That is the way of things."

raspberrybadger
2012-08-31, 11:03 PM
Amina replies "Why might a wolf smell the wind? When the prey in this keep is all too possibly dangerous, dangerous beyond easy reckoning, why indeed?"

TherianTheorist
2012-09-01, 05:17 PM
Noraver takes a moment to look at the group.

"I have come here for the challenge, I wanted something to test myself against." he says.

raspberrybadger
2012-09-02, 12:14 AM
Amina nods respectfully at the human's words.

Athaleon
2012-09-02, 02:31 AM
"Ullusair's sack of this fortress was nearly two generations ago, by human reckoning." mutters the Elf, Kalis. With undisguised bitterness, he continues "For me, it was yesterday. I was physician to these soldiers. Many of them were my friends, but even the worst of them didn't deserve this... It burns me to think of their corpses serving the wretch who murdered them."

The young human man, Kalis' apprentice, simply said with a shrug "Where he goes, I go." Apparently, he had decided that was all that needed to be said on the matter.

ELC
2012-09-03, 12:21 AM
Grahg chuckles heartily as he listens to the others.

"We are quite a group, aren't we?" He turns to Kalis. "Would you happen to know where Sir Ryzaen kept his quarters here?"

Starbuck_II
2012-09-03, 10:59 AM
Yes, we do seem a interesting bunch. Who is this Sir Ryzaen if I may ask? Also what are your names fellow travelers, My name is Gracediana, but you mat call me Grace. (she curtsies with her dress)
Gracediana said as she continued petting her wolf.

Kesuke
2012-09-03, 08:44 PM
Amina and the wolf, Charles, only make out the scent of the charcoals of the fire and the brown grass that surrounds them for hundreds of feet. Here and there the pungent stink of animal dung drifts on the wind. The sun continues its setting, leading further into darkness.

raspberrybadger
2012-09-04, 10:19 AM
Amina nods her head as Grace finishes speakin, then smiles and says Amina, Fire caste of Thakkon. Out here, just Amina will do. And I suppose this does make us a group.

shugyosha
2012-09-04, 10:34 AM
Jinna

The young druidess casts her gaze skyward and looks at the steep climb ahead. "I am Jinna mistress of storms. If we wait till tomorrow I have a spell readied for this cliff."

TherianTheorist
2012-09-05, 10:14 AM
Noraver looks at the sheer cliff above. "I am Noraver Seagold. I'm fine with this group, if you really can save me the climb, I guess I'll have to find a way to help you."

shugyosha
2012-09-05, 10:50 AM
Jinna

"If anyone else can think of a way up let's here it," she says regally.

"What is everyone's training?" she asks. "I am versed in the ways of wind and storms and other druidic magic."

Athaleon
2012-09-05, 11:03 AM
"Gideon and I are alchemists. As I mentioned, I'm also a physician by trade. My apprentice here specializes in explosives, whereas I myself go in for corrosives."

ELC
2012-09-05, 11:05 AM
Grahg stares at the fire, his eyes igniting with rage against injustice and indignity.

"He was my father," he grumbled, his tone thick with the malice for the so-called champion.

"No, he was never my father. He just made mother make me."

raspberrybadger
2012-09-05, 12:22 PM
Amina nods when Kalis speaks. She decides it's more politic for now to just ignore the angry one, but she reminds herself to listen to him later. When it sounds like he's done talking, she faces Jinna and speaks:

I'll try to answer both questions at once. That cliff top is beyond where I could just lift or throw us with my mind. It's also beyond where I could just directly blast things with my mind. It looks to be within range of a construct which could fly there. We could get a person up there that way, but not without some risk - the thing wouldn't have much time before it disappeared back into nothingness. If necessary, I could get all of us up there that way, but it's more of a last resort.

Starbuck_II
2012-09-05, 03:07 PM
We could always do it the old fashioned way. Someone have a rope? I could summon a bird to carry it to the top, tie it off, and we climb? Like a Blink dog could teleport rope up, Lantern Archon can, or someone ride a Dire bat up then ties it off.
Or we just keep riding my Dire bats but where is the fun in that.
Gracediana said with a smile. Oh, um, each of you has skill in riding, you don't want to fall off...

TherianTheorist
2012-09-06, 12:51 PM
"I am trained in the creation and wielding of sword shaped mental constructs."

"And as for the cliff..." Noraver looks through his backpack "I don't have nearly enough rope to reach all the way, and I'm afraid I lack riding skills."

shugyosha
2012-09-06, 01:48 PM
Jinna

"Yes, it look like it would take at least 10 such ropes to get up that high. So perhaps tomorrow then?"

raspberrybadger
2012-09-06, 07:11 PM
Amina is disappointed that the quick riding solution doesn't sound popular, but she accepts the apparent decision of the group, saying

"If the spell is safer than riding, then I suppose we wait for morning. Shall we set up here for the night then?"

shugyosha
2012-09-06, 09:41 PM
Jinna

"You'll walk up the wall like a gecko for a little over 10 minutes. That should be enough to get to the top."

Athaleon
2012-09-06, 10:51 PM
Kalis rummages around in his pack. "I think I've got an infusion that can help some of us float to the top of the cliff. I'll warn you though, the first time you use it can be disconcerting."

Gideon snorts "It turns you into a puff of gas. Not sure I'd want to try that by a windy cliff. And you're completely vulnerable while you're in that form... I think we should consider some other ideas first."

raspberrybadger
2012-09-07, 11:19 PM
Amina nods respectfully to Jinna, but her face looks a polite blank when Kalis explains his method. Trying to get things back on track, she says "If that's all the ways we've got to get up there, and no-one has a really pressing reason to risk a hasty method, then it sounds like we're waiting until we can use the gecko method."

Kesuke
2012-09-08, 08:30 PM
((It now seems as though you've all decided on waiting for a communal spider climb, yes? An 8 hour night awaits you!))

Athaleon
2012-09-09, 10:48 AM
"I have a potion that'll let you see in the dark, good as a Dwarf, all night. If you're on watch tonight, by all means take one."

shugyosha
2012-09-11, 12:58 PM
Jinna

The druidess bids the others a good-night and heads off to find some sleep.

OOC: Can we move along to the morning?

Starbuck_II
2012-09-11, 06:37 PM
Grace agrees, dismisses her eidolon wolf, and sleeps hoping they climb tomorrow.

TherianTheorist
2012-09-11, 06:49 PM
Noraver removes his armor and prepares for anything that might interrupt the groups rest.

Removing my armor to avoid the penalty for sleeping in it.
Resting for the night/Taking guard duty if needed.

raspberrybadger
2012-09-12, 11:28 AM
Amina bids the others good night, unrolls it's bedroll, unstraps it's shield, belt, and pack, curls up in a ball, and falls asleep.

Kesuke
2012-09-16, 03:32 PM
The night passes rather uneventfully. Those posted at watch can hear wolves howl in the distance, and a gloomy moon traces the sky on its ethereal course through the heavens. Aside from a scant few bugs sneaking into bedrolls or the rough grass itching at the face, there are no noteworthy interruptions to the sleep-watch cycle as morning breaks and the sun asserts its rule over the land once more. Packing up some effects from the camp, the group is ready to begin their ascent of the cliff.

Items available to take from the camp remains
(Take what you will and divide among yourselves as a team! Keep in mind you do not need to take everything. The weight listed is for the total of each entry.)

- Blank wizard's traveling spellbook (1 lb)
- 3 vials of ink and 1 inkpen
- scroll case
- 2 spare backpacks (4 lb)
- 2 waterskins (8 lb)
- Iron pot (4 lb)
- 4 loaves of bread (2 lb)
- 5 cans of trail rations (5 lb)
- 1 gallon of ale (8 lb)
- 200 feet of hemp rope (40 lb)
- whistle
- 4 torches (4 lb)
- 2 large tents (4 people per tent; 45 minutes; 100 lb.)
- compass (1/2 lb)
- 3 potions of cure moderate wounds

CLIMBING THE CLIFF
The base DC for the cliffs surrounding Cliffkill is 15 to move up to one-quarter your speed. Keep in mind that with a -5 to your check you can move up to half your speed. Other rules for any other method of gaining height against the cliff fall under the auspice of the method you choose to use. Please provide information in the OOC thread for what you choose to do.

shugyosha
2012-09-17, 11:04 AM
Jinna

Waking up she gathers the potions, compass, the ink, and scroll case. She hopes the others can carry the rest.

"Are we ready to climb?" she asks.

Athaleon
2012-09-17, 12:27 PM
Kalis and Gideon, between them, take the blank spellbook, food and water, and whistle.

"Might as well. If we aren't, why'd we bother coming up here?"

TherianTheorist
2012-09-17, 01:10 PM
Noraver takes a moment to restore his focus.
"It's not as if they built any stairs while we slept."

Move action: Gain Psionic focus.

raspberrybadger
2012-09-17, 11:09 PM
Amina refocuses, properly stows everything, checks it's belt of alchemical projectiles, straps on it's shield. That part is swift and businesslike. That done, it cheerfully greets everyone and announces it's readiness to move when everyone is ready. If there are any to spare, it will take a potion to stash in it's pack, and a loaf of bread to eat.

Starbuck_II
2012-09-18, 01:16 PM
Grace stretches as she packs her stuff up.
Yawning, "So shall we get to the climbin'?"

Kesuke
2012-09-20, 03:33 PM
((The potions and any food items have already been claimed by others, Jinna and Kalis, but should be free to divvy up.))

shugyosha
2012-09-20, 03:58 PM
Jinna

"Wasn't there one more..." she mutters to herself.

"Well that's six of us, so we should have a little more than 10 minute each for this spell."

The mistress of storms begins to hum and weave her fingers in the air as wisps of magic snake out like smoke from a candle. The tendrils begin to take ahold of everyone there until they seem to disappear.

"That's that. Shall we go?"

Starbuck_II
2012-09-21, 08:25 PM
Grace answers, "Ready when you are. No time like the present."

Athaleon
2012-09-21, 11:28 PM
"Let's get moving, before the spell wears off. I'd rather not be caught somewhere awkward when it does."

Kalis and Gideon are already climbing, gingerly testing their newly-enhanced grip.

Let's just get going, and say everyone starts climbing. Waiting too long for one inactive person seems to have the nasty effect of killing games before they even really start.

shugyosha
2012-09-22, 09:48 AM
Jinna

She follows the two up the cliff.

I agree. Can we just move to any spots of difficulty in the climb?

raspberrybadger
2012-09-22, 06:55 PM
Amina starts up as well, careful not to be right next to anyone or underneath anyone.

TherianTheorist
2012-09-23, 02:11 PM
Noraver begins walking up the sheer cliff, joining the group in committing this insult to gravity.

Starbuck_II
2012-09-24, 10:38 AM
Grace does her best to climb as fast as she can, "So, anyone have any idea what we will find up there?"

Kesuke
2012-09-26, 02:50 PM
The climb is made scores easier than what it would no doubt be without the aid of magic. The group briskly clambors upwards over the jutting rocks and loose soil of the cliff face, finding only small scrubby plants, worms, and ants living in the crevices. It's roughly three minutes of full, dedicated climbing, a few seconds given or taken as they readjust and continue rising.

Finally they crest the top, coming to view a large, broken-down courtyard wall of overly large brick, rubble strewing the pocked areas where the wall has been broken through. These gaps in the perimeter lead into a large, overgrown courtyard, with cobblestone laid into the ground. What looks like a large, stagnant fountain can just barely be made out amid the shrubbery and toppled statues.

Several skeletal remains are strewn about the immediate vicinity, looking as if they still bear some of their old clothing and belongings.

((Map incoming.))

shugyosha
2012-09-26, 07:22 PM
Jinna

"Well Grace I think this answers your question," she says as she surveys the area.

[roll0] perception

Athaleon
2012-09-28, 11:24 PM
Kalis and Gideon quietly draw their bows, take cover behind some rubble, and take a good look all around themselves.

Perception (Kal): [roll0]
Perception (Gideon): [roll1]

raspberrybadger
2012-09-29, 11:43 AM
Once it's up the cliff, Amina stands well away from the cliff edge and tries to get a feel for the tactical setup of the courtyard and rubble. It's especially wary of the dead. Either they, or what killed them, may have deadly power still. It considers spending a bare morsel of power to probe them, but feels even more exposed than it is already at the notion of revealing such a capability early and using up what may be needed in a fight, over what probably is no real threat. It does wish that it knew what the real threats were though.

Starbuck_II
2012-10-01, 09:37 AM
We might as well find a way in, Grace said as she cut of a few shrubberys away from the fountain.

TherianTheorist
2012-10-01, 04:37 PM
Noraver summons his mind blade, a longsword shaped red beam of light.
Ready for what lies ahead.

Form mind blade: one handed, slashing.