PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a very particular sort of weapon (or feat)

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-31, 06:45 PM
Howdy

I'm building a character with very low strength, but a decent dex. It avoids combat wherever possible, but plans to use poison in those instances where it just can't get away.

The problem? How does this character manage to deliver injury poisons? Weapon Finesse is out, because this character is starting at level 1, and has no BAB.

I have an image, though of someone delivering poisons with a touch – perhaps there's a needle attached to the hem of her sleeve – or imbedded in a ring she wears – with which she can prick someone without issue.

Does anyone know of an item that would let this guy deliver injury poisons at melee range without worrying about his atrocious strength? Alternatively, is there some form of feat similar to Weapon Finesse but available without a point of BAB?

LeshLush
2012-08-31, 06:54 PM
Off the very top of my head, mouth darts are listed in Oriental Adventures as needles that you hide in your mouth and then spit at someone when you get within very close range, though that might not be what you are looking for. I haven't looked at it in a while, but this may be helpful: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854

Teh_das
2012-08-31, 07:08 PM
use thrown weapons. there's always the option of 5ft stepping away, then throwing a laced dagger or shuriken at them.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-31, 07:09 PM
I think that I found what I was looking for. Dragon Compendium has the Poison Ring, which lets you make a touch attack to deal 1 damage from a poisoned needle.

If anyone can think of another way to mitigate the low strength, I'd love to hear it!

Beelzebub1111
2012-08-31, 07:36 PM
Poison crossbow bolts are just as effective as a thrown weapon (Moreso if your strength is low)

Lonely Tylenol
2012-08-31, 08:28 PM
If you can swing it at level 1 with starting wealth (and you can't), a Feycraft light weapon uses your DEX modifier to hit as if you had Weapon Finesse (without actually requiring it), and does damage as if it were one die size smaller.

Alternatively, the Dragon Magazine Compendium has a Poison Ring (which is pretty much exactly what you're looking for) as a simple weapon. The attack would still use your STR score, but it would be made as a touch attack, meaning you only have to worry about touch AC.

If you could have a Feycraft poison ring made for you, however... :smalltongue: