PDA

View Full Version : Shinigami

arixe
2012-09-01, 04:55 AM
So Coming up with my own class. Wanted to build a decent spell list with out ripping off the cleric too much. I know its a stretch dose any one have tips on building a custom spell list.

Ashtagon
2012-09-01, 05:14 AM
So Coming up with my own class. Wanted to build a decent spell list with out ripping off the cleric too much. I know its a stretch dose any one have tips on building a custom spell list.

Read through teh PHB/SRD spell list in order, and check off those you think should be in the new spell list.

limejuicepowder
2012-09-01, 06:01 AM
I would recommend reading though the example witch character class in the DMG (pg 175). It's a great example of making a spell list with a specific flavor (rather then just scrolling down the normal cleric list and taking all of the best spells xD).

Boci
2012-09-01, 06:02 AM
Well firstly, how much of a caster do you want this to be? Generally, this is answered by the question what is the highest spell they can cast by level 20. Generally the answer is one of three, 4th, 6th or 9th. If you pick 4th, you do not need that many spells, since the class will have other features to use, but if it gets 6th, and especially for 9th level spells, you need to give a wide selection. The best thing to do is to decide what kind of things it embodies (necromantic spells, buffing spells, swift action spells). That will make compiling a list easier.

arixe
2012-09-01, 11:36 AM
Thanks every one you helped a bunch. now should i stick with only 4th lvl spells in the 4 list or should i toss in a 5 or 6 lvl spell.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-01, 12:42 PM
You should move this to the homebrew forum.

danzibr
2012-09-01, 01:14 PM
Shinigami of Soul Eater?

"Shinigami CHOP!"

Boci
2012-09-01, 04:45 PM
Thanks every one you helped a bunch. now should i stick with only 4th lvl spells in the 4 list or should i toss in a 5 or 6 lvl spell.

Depends on what other abilities you want the class to have. It it only gets 4th level spells, it needs solid basics (BAB, saves, skill points) and decent class features (you can get away with good class features and poor basics). What does you envision this class doing aside from spell casting?