PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting and shields. [PF]

Andvare
2012-09-01, 06:50 AM
The rules states that you need a free hand to cast spells with somatic components.
And the interpretation of the light shield seems to be that it isn't a free hand, even though you can hold items in it. This is still not definitively clarified I think?
You can, however, switch an object from your other hand to your shield hand (with a light shield). This includes a weapon, though you cannot use that weapon when held this way. This does not take any action, so sayeth James Jacobs:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/layOnHandsWithALightShield&page=1#24

But you can still not cast spells with a somatic component, while holding a heavy/tower shield and a weapon, nor can you use lay on hands.
Yes, bloody stupid, but there you go.

You can use a hand with which you carry a buckler and cast somatic component spells at the same time, you do, however, lose the AC bonus from the shield.

What all this means, is that you can have a mithral light shield, and still cast arcane spells with somatic components, provided you are only holding one other object at the time.
In fact, I see no reason to use the buckler, unless that one lbs a light shield (½ lbs with mithral) weighs more than a buckler does, is enough to crush you beneath its mighty weight. Oh and a light shield does cost an astonishing four gold more. You can also get a quickdraw version of a light shield, no such luck for a buckler. Yes, this means that for 50 gold extra, you can get a light shield that you can don quicker than you could ever don a buckler. This does increase the armour check penalty by one, and the weight by one.
Am I missing something here?

Now if you don't agree with James Jakobs, you can always use a shield spike, and be armed while carrying a light shield and still have one hand free.
And if you don't agree with James Jakobs, a cleric can't really use a shield in any meaningful way, neither can a paladin that wants to cast spells or use lay on hands, nor can a bard.
The rules for spellcasting and shields are bloody bonkers IMHO. You can easily circumvent them as someone who is probably not meant to use a shield (wizard sorcerer), but they completely blocks a big part of a class that is somewhat of a synonym with shield use (paladin).
Utter stupidity, from a moronic rule holdover from 3.X.

If you put a shield spike on a light shield, it is now also a light martial weapon, and the spikes can be enchanted as such. As a spellcaster you are probably not proficient with it though.
Duelling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons#TOC-Dueling) is a nice weapon enchantment, cost 14000 gp, but gives you a +4 enhancement bonus on initiative, as well as +2 on feint and disarm (offensive and defensive).
Guardian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons#TOC-Guardian) is also very nice, gives your the opportunity to turn your shield spike weapon into a resistance item, that stacks with your other resistance items.
Both of these are probably better on a shield spike than a melee weapon, because both needs the weapon to be wielded, and you almost always wield your shield. Or you could get the quickdraw version and the quickdraw feat, which lets you don the shield as a free action.

The Allying (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons#TOC-Allying) could potentially also be useful, though it is probably not worth it.

Any other tricks out there?

ahenobarbi
2012-09-01, 07:14 AM
Are you asking about shield tricks like casting Magic Weapon, Greater on Defending shield spikes to get cheap extra AC?

sdream
2012-09-01, 07:15 AM
I would say that if you are carrying your shield normally, you are no more wielding a shield spike than when you are carrying a sword in it's sheath.

You have to give up your shields AC benefit to use it as a weapon, and only then are you wielding the spike.

The same for double weapons (again, 2 separate sets of enchantments) to get the benefits of both sets of enchantments, you actually have to wield it as a double weapon, with all the to-hit and hand occupying effects thereof.

Andvare
2012-09-01, 08:00 AM
Are you asking about shield tricks like casting Magic Weapon, Greater on Defending shield spikes to get cheap extra AC?

Yes, but for Pathfinder.

grarrrg
2012-09-01, 02:19 PM
You want to talk shields? How about Wizards in Armor!

Armored Kilt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor), Haramaki, and Silken Ceremonial Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/eastern-armor-and-shields) are all Light Armors with with 0 Armor Check penalty, and 0% Spell Failure. Granted, they only give +1 AC, but this can be enchanted. (By the by, the Armored Kilt is the worst of the bunch, it has a Max Dex of +6, while the others have no limit, and it's the heaviest).

Now what are the penalties for Non-Proficiency with Armor again?

Nonproficient with Armor Worn: A character who wears armor... with which he is not proficient takes the armor's... armor check penalty on attack rolls as well as on all Dex- and Str-based ability and skill checks. The penalty for non-proficiency with armor stacks with the penalty for shields.

So for NOT being proficient with armor I get... NO Penalty because the ACP is already 0.

Psyren
2012-09-01, 02:30 PM
1) As a free action, swap your weapon to your shield hand.
2) Cast spell using now-empty weapon hand for somatics.
3) As a free action, put weapon back.

There you go, casting cleric.

Andvare
2012-09-01, 02:38 PM
1) As a free action, swap your weapon to your shield hand.
2) Cast spell using now-empty weapon hand for somatics.
3) As a free action, put weapon back.

There you go, casting cleric.

Only with a light shield.

I did write this you know?

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-01, 05:38 PM
Only with a light shield.

I did write this you know?

Actually, a light shield already leaves your hand free for spellcasting by default.

Andvare
2012-09-01, 05:58 PM
Actually, a light shield already leaves your hand free for spellcasting by default.

That is a matter of interpretation.
A light shield does not leave a hand free, as the entry states that you actually grasp the shield, but can use it for holding objects. A free hand would, presumably, also allow you to use a weapon, but it doesn't in this case.
Now, some (i.e. you :smallbiggrin: ) say that that is enough, but the 3.5 FAQ says this:

The light shield doesn’t give you a free hand for spellcasting, but
since you can hold an item in the same hand that holds the light shield, you could switch your weapon to that hand to free up a hand for spellcasting. (You can’t use the weapon while it’s held in the same hand as your shield, of course.) The rules don’t state what type of action is required to switch hands on a weapon, but it seems reasonable to assume that it’s the equivalent of drawing a weapon (a move action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity).

And as PF is supposedly backwards compatible, this ruling stands, sorta, until it is specifically changed.
AFAIK it hasn't been changed yet, except for that last part (again only -ish, it isn't an official book/errata/FAQ ruling, but a post on the Paizo forum).

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-01, 06:01 PM
Well, FAQ was not RAW even in 3.5 and it's already clarified in the PF forums. I really don't think this is an issue.

Andvare
2012-09-01, 06:14 PM
Well, FAQ was not RAW even in 3.5 and it's already clarified in the PF forums. I really don't think this is an issue.

No, and RAW is completely unclear on the issue.
JJ has said both that you have to switch your weapons, and that you can use the hand. That is not a clarification.

It is an issue, one that have crept into the future:

http://community.wizards.com/dndnext/go/thread/view/75882/29334455/MeleeShield_Cleric_Spell_Casting_%28Impossible%29