PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Character Idea

tbonejc
2012-09-01, 12:40 PM
I thought of a character idea and I was wondering if anyone would recommend it and how it can be done.

In a nutshell I would like a druid that can caste haste so he can be a swiftblade. He'll then be a tripper that could trip his opponents then cast entangle while they're prone then his melee buds will do the rest.

What are your thoughts? If I can somehow have him worship the time or transmutation domains that could work I think. I just don't know how to justify it.

Edit: I was hoping to do it mid-lvl and not take wiz/sorc lvls.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-01, 12:45 PM
Swiftblade only advances arcane classes so you'll need a houserule there.

Randomguy
2012-09-01, 01:12 PM
You could make a Wu-Jen swiftblade. It's not a druid, but a Wu-Jen can have a very natury theme, especially if they pick the wood element.

You could take Arcane Disciple (plant domain), which gives you entangle, and some other plant domain spells.

tbonejc
2012-09-01, 01:37 PM
Swiftblade only advances arcane classes so you'll need a houserule there.

I forgot about that point. Thanks.

You could make a Wu-Jen swiftblade. It's not a druid, but a Wu-Jen can have a very natury theme, especially if they pick the wood element.

You could take Arcane Disciple (plant domain), which gives you entangle, and some other plant domain spells.

I like that idea.

I'll probably take a lvl of fighter first so I can get martial weapon proficiency and use the bonus feat for exotic wpn: spiked chain.

Randomguy
2012-09-01, 10:04 PM
Well, the typical swiftblade build (I think) is Caster 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5, since it keeps 9th level spells and gets almost all the swiftblade features, as well as 4 attacks in a full attack. Adding in a fighter level means that you lose another caster level, which is bad.

If you play any type of elf (there are some types with int bonuses, which is always nice) then you get martial weapon proficiency with a few weapons for free, which lets you qualify for Swiftblade. Being an elf also opens up the Elven Generalist ACF. Then, you can trade scribe scroll (or your level 5 bonus feat) for a fighter bonus feat, like EWP spiked chain.

The downside to this is that now you need to spend both level 5 and 6 casting just haste, instead of just wizard level 5.

If you do decide to take a fighter level, then you might as well take the 10th level of swiftblade, since you've lost 9th level spells anyway.