PDA

View Full Version : Eyadril, IC Thread The Plaza [approved general thread]

Elrihm
2012-09-01, 01:31 PM
As you step through the walls the separate the Beggars district from the Plaza, the sun beats down in the cloudless skies as the yell of the Town Crier fills the area, and the smell of humanity fills your nose. Various hawkers stand next to their carts, selling wares, while surly guards look on. The city is a dirty grey with cobbled streets, and stone buildings, brown providing relief in the form of wood supports. The area is a large square, with a fountain in the center, lined on all sides with taverns, inns, and assorted buildings. The appearance of another traveler in this chaotic city causes little speculation, other than what gold might be got. To each of the cardinal directions are gates, leading to different sections of the city.

The town crier represents both the openly advertised jobs, and the undercurrent that is easily accessible to any player. It is by no means the only quests to be found in the city, just the most accessible. Your character starts here, and will wander around with the rest of the city until you find a private thread.

Town Crier

An apprentice in the wizards guild says he needs help finding a lost pet
People have been disappearing from the Industrial district, and an individual would be willing to pay for some investigative work
A wealthy merchant has put out a job for protection from overly zealous competitors
The various guilds/temples/factions are looking for new apprentices/neophytes/brothers to come and join their ranks
Rumor has there has been some trouble on the Airship Dock, and the city guard would be willing to hire an outside hand to help
The alchemist guild has put out a job protecting one of their herbalists on a dangerous journey deep into the redwood forest to collect some rare mushrooms from a cave
Banditry has been ravaging the outlying district, and Lord Amand himself has offered up a bounty to anyone who brings him the head of their leader
'Fionn Bas seeks help from someone highly skilled with magic items for a ritual of great personal importance.'

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-02, 09:28 PM
Lyon strides into the town and looks around impressed at the large structures and bustling market place. It is far different than what he is used to, far warmer as well. Lyon scans the area for a guard or a map.

Assuming he finds a guard.
Lyon walks up to the guard confidently and speaks calmly, Hello, I am new to the city and need some directions. I am currently looking for the mage guild my former master was in. What district are the mage guilds in?

If he finds a map he attempts to locate where the mage guilds are located in the town.

OOC Question:
I asked if it was okay if my former master was a member of a guild in this city but could I have a name of a guild he could be a part of? Or should I decide that? As Lyon will attempt to join that guild.

Elrihm
2012-09-02, 10:05 PM
I'll take the general idea of a man powerful enough to be your mentor, put him in the context of the city, add time, and see what happens. Remember that your character knows a name, a description, probably some personality traits, feel free to play with that.

The guard barely spares you a glance, and nods in the direction of the Nobles district, before going back to looking bored.

ben-zayb
2012-09-03, 12:18 AM
A hulking cloaked figure paces briskly in the middle of the plaza, clearly headed towards the crier. After hearing of the missions set out by various groups, he decides to inquire about the different factions in the city. He lifts his cloak, revealing an orcish visage, and then asks the town crier. If he is not satisfied with the person's answers, he'll go around town to ask other locals.

@Elrihm
Alrighty! Sorry for the long delayed post. :smallfrown: I'm a complete sandbox noob. If you have some questions about some things, feel free to pm me (or check the sheet) :smallwink:

Anyway, should he roll some skill check of sorts for that (Knowledge or Diplomacy or Gather Info maybe)? Maybe I should just let the DM do the rolls (at least this time).

EDIT:(OOC) Dibs in advance on Dark Red(if that matters at all)

Elrihm
2012-09-03, 10:45 AM
The town crier hops down from his place on the fountain, and sits for a moment, pondering the question.

"There are a number of factions in the city, you see," the man says in a clipped accent, "Generally speaking, the most powerful in the Beggar's district are the One Eyes, Orcs like yourself. There are so many beyond the wall that feel unprotected or neglected by the city that they form bands to enforce their own justice. Like I said, the One Eye's have control all the way from the eastern edge of town right up to the city gates. On the western side of the river, there are two. In the southern half, the Scales are a group of kobold miners that work in the Tunnels during the day, extending them all the way down to the valley floor, and beyond. Lord Amand has plans to open a mine, and as such the kobolds don't have time to fight a bloody turf war. The north-western quarter of the Beggars district is held by the Free Peoples. They represent the mish-mash of people that don't like living under orcs, or kobolds, and generally want to be left alone. Each district has it's own feuds, but I think that should answer what you want to know at least. Now, if you'll excuse me."

With that, the creaky old man gets up on the fountain, and begins shouting in his booming voice again, relaying prices on goods, jobs, and all sorts of information.

You're going to have to roll for anything else.

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-03, 12:52 PM
Lyon nods somewhat offended by the guard and heads off to the nobles district. As Lyon heads to the district he thinks to himself, Maybe I can find someone slightly more helpful in the Nobel's District. I hope the Eldritch Circle is one of the guilds that is looking for new recruits. That will make this much simpler. If not, Lyon smiles, I believe I can persuade them to let me in

He enters the nobel's district and then attempts to once again find a map or another guard or someone else that might be able to help him locate the Eldritch Circle's headquarters.

Finished the backstory of Lyon, mentor is an old woman named Ur and her previous guild was called the "Eldritch Circle". The rest of it is on my character sheet.

Elrihm
2012-09-03, 01:19 PM
As Lyon heads to the Nobles district, he passes through the plaza, and nears the river. Large bridges span across the river at each district connecting the two halves of the city, and guarding each gate is a barbican, and several guards. As he approaches, Lyon is stopped by a guard with an outstretched hand.

"Halt, and present your pass to enter the Nobles quarter."

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-03, 01:33 PM
Lyon sighs,Okay I really should of seen this coming

I am a new resident to the city and was informed that the mages guild were located in this section of the city. If I wasn't misinformed where can I get a pass to enter this district?

Elrihm
2012-09-03, 01:49 PM
The guard will scratch his head, and say "Generally speaking, someone in the Nobles district will give you a pass. Various guild leaders, or prominent citizens in the other districts can as well. Once a month, the Mages guild holds a meeting in one of the local taverns for prospective students, where they pay the years tuition and get a pass."

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-03, 03:39 PM
The guard will scratch his head, and say "Generally speaking, someone in the Nobles district will give you a pass. Various guild leaders, or prominent citizens in the other districts can as well. Once a month, the Mages guild holds a meeting in one of the local taverns for prospective students, where they pay the years tuition and get a pass."

Lyon nods, Thank you, do you know the name of the tavern where the Eldritch Circle guild hosts it's meeting for new recruits?

If the guard doesn't know Lyon heads off to one of the local taverns.

Elrihm
2012-09-04, 11:12 AM
"The what? I know that the town crier will announce when the Mages come to the Plaza, but it takes a small fortune to join them. Only nobles, and wealthy adventurer's, can afford it. Now be off with you, if you don't have a pass to present," The guard says the words with a slight bitterness, and then motions you to move off.

After some searching, you find a small windowless tavern near the bridge. Above the door is a sign painted with the figure of a goblin's head.

radmelon
2012-09-04, 08:01 PM
A somewhat-short brown-haired male human wearing what appears to be a robe of some sort enters the plaza from elsewhere in the city, and walks over to a guard. "Pardon me sir, but I've been hearing about disappearances in the industrial district, and would like to offer my services in helping investigate. I have friends there, you see, and am somewhat worried about them."

DM-onlyWhat better way to cover my 'replacing' than by investigating it? Also, for all relevent disguise checks, assume I'm taking 10 (+32 bonus, assuming I've used studied mimic to get the guise).

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-04, 08:36 PM
"The what? I know that the town crier will announce when the Mages come to the Plaza, but it takes a small fortune to join them. Only nobles, and wealthy adventurer's, can afford it. Now be off with you, if you don't have a pass to present," The guard says the words with a slight bitterness, and then motions you to move off.

After some searching, you find a small windowless tavern near the bridge. Above the door is a sign painted with the figure of a goblin's head.

Lyon nods, I don't have a pass and will leave you to your work. Lyon then looks for a tavern.

Lyon shrugs as he looks at the tavern, Seems a bit shady, lets check if they know anything. It would be a tragedy though if Ur's guild was consumed by the turmoil in the city. Lyon enters the tavern or knocks if its locked or barred.

THEChanger
2012-09-05, 12:19 AM
In one of the many shadowed areas nearby the plaza, a grate in the ground slides up and out. A cloaked head pops out, and takes a quick look around. Satisfied that the coast is clear, a man, small, thin, and dressed in rags, hops out from beneath the grate and closes it shut. Slowly, Ezekiel makes his way out into the plaza, muttering softly to himself. He sits by the fountain where the crier shouts out his news, but one thing in particular catches the madman's attention. "Disappearances, you says? Industrial district? Who wants to find missing workers? Who cares about those who disappear in this city?"

ben-zayb
2012-09-05, 02:27 AM
"Hmm, alright then...", replies the orc in a guttural, almost like a humming, voice. He pulls back his cloak and left the crier, then looks for someone who seems to be of authority--a town guard, preferably one who's stationed alone or at least quite distant from the other guards.

Upon approaching his target guard, he will fumble his pocket for a handful of silver pieces (~5), making sure that the guard alone can see what he is doing. Upon catching the guard's attention, he will politely ask him where the mage's guild might be located, the one who requested for help in finding a pet.

He will repeat this inquiry with other people of authority for about three more times (from guards/local officials in different stations), trying to see the consistency of their direction.

@Elrihm

Do you mind making the secret roll for Sense Motive and Diplomacy checks (unless in cases where I can take 10 based on my abilities)?
I'm feeling a bit paranoid making a roll here in the thread, though it's still cool otherwise. :smallredface:

Lexin
2012-09-05, 11:07 AM
A gnome walks through one of the gates. With a cold smile on his face he looks around, focusing from time to time on people that look worthy of his attention.

Appearance:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/Priestess_Riona/gnome-top-hat.jpg

Fash listens carefully to the town crier...
Maybe I will catch some work... hmm, did I have anything planned for today?

Elrihm

Fash already is a member of the sect I mentioned in the Background. Do they have a job for him?
Should I just go there and check?

He approaches the Town Crier and says in quiet, but clear voice:
"Two questions:
- Who should I contact to get more information about bandits?
- Is the Alchemists Guild looking for new members too? If yes, where is it?"

I could use this information later...

Elrihm
2012-09-06, 01:16 PM
Radmelon:
The guard will look at the robed man, and shrug his shoulders. "Ain't my jer-is-diction. Yoo'll haf to go to the District. I don't know nuffin."

Silva:
Lyon enters the establishment, and finds a private thread. PM incoming.

THEChanger:
Your...um, "fellow" overhears a robed man talking to a guard about the disappearances in the Industrial District.

ben-zayb:(paranoia is good)
Your character bribes his way into a Private thread. Pm Incoming.

Lexin:
I'm roleplaying as you having been sent away on a mission far away, and have just returned. Your more than a little paranoid guild often moves, and so you'll have to track them down.

The guard looks at your haughty expression, and pulls a sour face. "Talk to? No one, go kill the damn fool, and bring his head back. Anyone in the damn Beggars can talk about him, but that hasn't stopped him yet. And I don't know a damn thing about the Merchant's district. I don't get so much damn coin that I throw it away on fattening some apothecaries purse."

Lexin
2012-09-06, 01:22 PM
Elrihm
Okay, I will work with that.

One more proof that talking to people is useless... Fash thinks with a polite smile on his face and then replies.

"And where can I find him to just 'go and kill this fool'? Any general direction?"

Elrihm
2012-09-06, 01:38 PM
The guard shrugs, "The walls keep him out of the damn Plaza."

Lexin
2012-09-06, 01:45 PM
"Good then, thank you for your time, good sir."

...Useless...

Fash goes to the Plaza.

He tries to look around to find his guild.
Gather information? [roll0]
[roll1] hours.

(2nd try, maybe in different district)
[roll2]
[roll3]

If he still can't find them, he would focus on finding the bandits instead.

Would Urban tracking work? (I can use Gather info to track sb in the city)
Gather info [roll4]
[roll5]

radmelon
2012-09-06, 06:29 PM
"Thanks anyways, sir." The robed figure walks towards the industrial district.

THEChanger
2012-09-06, 08:06 PM
"The robed one knows where, then."

"Follow the robed one."

"Yes, yes. He will lead us to one who cares."

Ezekiel began to trundle behind the robed man, doing his best to appear inconspicuous. Of course, he wasn't particularly good at that, but he was simply one of many cloaked figures in the crowd. Of course, the mumbling to himself might give something away.

Elrihm
2012-09-07, 07:13 PM
You three find private threads. Pm coming when I get to a real computer.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-12, 10:01 AM
Guildmage Perkins makes his way with haste to the alchemist's guild, hoping to arrive before anyone else beats him to such a clearly fascinating opportunity. Fresh in the city, and already a chance to get on good terms with the magical guilds with pull? Such a chance was not to be passed on lightly.

His heart eager, he knocks upon the Alchemist's Guild's door.

jojolagger
2012-09-12, 12:58 PM
A lanky Half-elf in white armour enters the plaza, and walks up to the town crier. "Excuse me, But what would it take to get job request added to your list?"

bobthe6th
2012-09-12, 05:00 PM
A largish Kobald, mostly hidden beneath a traveler's cloak, walks into the city. A green pick bounces at his side, and he looks about in irritation.
Why must I be under the open sssky? Tunnelsss are near, perhapsss I can find brothersss there?

He looks for a guard. Once he finds a guard he asks for directions... although he forgets for a moment that most races favor common, and starts in with draconic.
Drath ona gree... Oh, yesss your race favoeresss common, my appologiesss. Which way to the tunnelsss?

gparali
2012-09-13, 04:23 PM
“Damn this place is huge. Like finding a needle in a haystack….” Fashmir mumbled to himself as he entered the plaza.

At first glance most people wouldn’t give him a second’s notice. A gnome in black and brown clothes covered with mud stains, a beggar or vagabond they would think. Some of them would look more closely though, and they would see something different. They would see the massive scar on his face, the scar that took part of his lip leaving him with a permanent sneer. They might also notice his weapons, nothing fancy, but well-made and often used by the look of them. They might still think him a vagabond maybe but a dangerous one.

He stopped near the crier whose words caught his attention. Something about the Docks and the Guards wanting to ask for hired help.

“…..mmm…..I could use some extra funds…..don’t know how long I will stay…..and I could certainly use the City Guard’s favor……” Fashmir thought to himself and smiled.

He walked to a City Guard, the one with the most stained armor and clothes and logically the one most in need of gold.

“Excuse me Sir. I heard by the crier that the Watch might be searching to hire someone. Something about the docks. I am interested and I would like to speak to the one responsible. Can you direct me to them?” he asks him, all the while playing suggestively with a gold coin in his hand.

DM only

My character isn't any good with words and his scars don't help. :smallsmile:
Feel free to make the checks yourself if needed. I repeat the process if necessary.

Elrihm
2012-09-14, 12:08 PM
Sorry for the delay. Had to chew through the private threads.

Tryndmyr: The door opens and you find a private thread. PM incoming.

Jojolagger: The crier will bend down, and reply in a clipped accent "With whoever posted the job, ask around if you're not familiar with the city."

bobthe6th: The guard will gesture over to the western gate leading out from the plaza, and say "You from the Scales?"

gparali: You find a young guard in an ill-fitting uniform, playing nervously with the guisarm he holds in his hands. The guard wrinkles his nose at your scarred visage, but takes the gold coin out of your hand, and replies "Yeah, there has been some rough business down at the docks. The guard captains building is over there, he can tell you more."

He points you in the direction of one of the government buildings in the plaza, and stows the gold away.

gparali
2012-09-14, 12:24 PM
Fashmir leaves the guard and walks toward the government building. As he walks he touches self-consciously his scar. Out there, away from civilization, he sometimes forgets about it. Not in the cities though, everyone’s expression serves to remind him.

He puts on a determined face and enters the building asking for the Guard Captain to the first guard he sees. Politely of course.

jojolagger
2012-09-14, 12:50 PM
"I mean, say I have a job I want done, and would like you to advertise it for me. What do you charge?"
Responses Fionn, who is doing his best to remain calm. About to succeed, don't ruin it now.

bobthe6th
2012-09-14, 12:59 PM
bobthe6th: The guard will gesture over to the western gate leading out from the plaza, and say "You from the Scales?"

What are the "Ssscalesss?" The city clan? I am not asss of yet, no. Though I doubt they will not take in a Narac*.

*Narac, a kobald without a clan. Generally used for those who's clan is dead, rather then exiles.

Elrihm
2012-09-15, 07:45 PM
bobthe6th: The guard will squint at you, and then shrug his shoulders, "The tunnels will have work for you. As for the Scales, their the local kobold gang. Not sure clans mean much in the city."

JoJolagger: "Well, it has to be legal foremost, and it costs 5 copper a day. I'm the only official town crier for the city, so it's me or nothin' "

gparali: You walk in and find a private thread, PM incoming.

bobthe6th
2012-09-15, 11:06 PM
The kobald walks toward the tunnels.

No clans?!?! No Kobald people would fall that far from our ancestors... The guard must not understand what it means to be Kobald. Still... it is worrisome.

A few things... a) is it ok I keep making up draconic words/faking the language? The character is a nonnative common speaker,. so like many second languages he still would think in draconic.
b) isss thisss irritating? I was trying to make him properly raptilian, but it might just make it hard to read.
c)Are this worlds kobalds as clan like as RotD sugests? Or are they just another race with normal kingdoms and ect.?

Elrihm
2012-09-16, 12:30 AM
Your character enters the tunnels and finds a private thread. PM incoming.

jojolagger
2012-09-16, 03:22 PM
JoJolagger: "Well, it has to be legal foremost, and it costs 5 copper a day. I'm the only official town crier for the city, so it's me or nothin' "

"In that case, please inform the masses people that 'Fionn Bas seeks help from someone highly skilled with magic items for a ritual of great personal importance.' This should be enough to cover your fee. I don't suppose you could suggest an inn to say at while I wait?"
Says Fionn, tossing the town crier a gold piece.

Elrihm
2012-09-20, 01:00 PM
The old man will take the coin, and nod, before going back to tolling out his news.