PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Star Wars RPG system

Jeivar
2012-09-01, 02:22 PM
My friends and I have delved into this Star Wars system (http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Core-Rulebook-Star-Roleplaying/dp/078692876X) sporadically over many years and we've all gotten completely sick of it. The starship rules are a mess, most of the classes are worthless and we just overall feel it doesn't work.

What other options are there?
I'm not looking for any particular dice system or setting period or whatever. Just any good Star Wars system.

Hopeless
2012-09-01, 03:03 PM
My friends and I have delved into this Star Wars system (http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Core-Rulebook-Star-Roleplaying/dp/078692876X) sporadically over many years and we've all gotten completely sick of it. The starship rules are a mess, most of the classes are worthless and we just overall feel it doesn't work.

What other options are there?
I'm not looking for any particular dice system or setting period or whatever. Just any good Star Wars system.

The West End Games version perhaps?

Its still available on Amazon in various forms there is even the new beta one named edge of Empire but they've yet to reveal their starship combat system and of course Saga but the WEG is probably cheaper...

Have you thought about just using a system that has a starship combat system you like or just want to try out and just jury rig the rest?

The_Snark
2012-09-01, 03:03 PM
The good news: there are several Star Wars RPGs out there, and the general consensus is that the one you've been playing is the nadir of Star Wars RPG history. (Barring, I suppose, the non-revised core rulebook.)

West End Games's d6 Star Wars RPG, the one that precedes the game you played, comes pretty highly recommended. I've never played it myself, so I can't say much more about it. Star Wars Saga Edition is the one WotC published after the one you've been using. It still uses the d20 system, but has polished everything up: more streamlined rules, more interesting classes, better Force rules. Just more interesting in general, and I'd definitely recommend giving it a look.

The bad news: both are out of print. The d6 Star Wars games were published in the 90s; I have no idea how hard it'll be to find rulebooks or what the prices are like. The Saga Edition books are a lot more recent, but used copies can get pretty expensive.

Jeivar
2012-09-01, 04:15 PM
A couple of years ago I was in a bookstore and saw a KOTOR-era book that clearly had nothing to do with the system I'm familiar with. I only took a brief peek inside, but it featured among other things the Sentinel class from KOTOR, a Sith class that Bandon was apparently supposed to belong to, and write-ups for the KOTOR NPC's. Any idea which one that was?

Beleriphon
2012-09-01, 04:32 PM
A couple of years ago I was in a bookstore and saw a KOTOR-era book that clearly had nothing to do with the system I'm familiar with. I only took a brief peek inside, but it featured among other things the Sentinel class from KOTOR, a Sith class that Bandon was apparently supposed to belong to, and write-ups for the KOTOR NPC's. Any idea which one that was?

If the book was a 9x9 square it was Saga Edition. I highly recommend that one, it requires very little learning of new game mechanics from the RCR.

Alejandro
2012-09-01, 08:15 PM
I GM a Star Wars Saga Edition game. Every single one of my players likes to loves it, and everyone has been able to make a unique character with little hassle. No one is clearly overpowered, even the Jedi, and everyone can contribute to play. Easiest multiclassing rules I've ever seen.

One note: If you do use it, a suggested houserule: Don't let anyone take the Skill Focus: Use the Force feat until they reach the Jedi Knight or Force Adept prestige class, or its equivalent level if they don't take a prestige class for some reason.

Jeivar
2012-09-02, 02:19 PM
I've been taking a look at what I can find about Saga Edition and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Now how on earth do I get my hands on it? Amazon doesn't ship used copies to my country and drivethrurpg.com doesn't seem to have ANY Star Wars books. So where does that leave me?

RandomLunatic
2012-09-02, 02:53 PM
It has been discontinued, so it is a bit of a trick to get a hold o the books. If Amazon fails, E-Bay may be your best bet, although the prices have become quite high.

Getsugaru
2012-09-02, 06:39 PM
I GM a Star Wars Saga Edition game. Every single one of my players likes to loves it, and everyone has been able to make a unique character with little hassle. No one is clearly overpowered, even the Jedi, and everyone can contribute to play. Easiest multiclassing rules I've ever seen.

One note: If you do use it, a suggested houserule: Don't let anyone take the Skill Focus: Use the Force feat until they reach the Jedi Knight or Force Adept prestige class, or its equivalent level if they don't take a prestige class for some reason.
Clearly you've never played with anyone I know, as we all end up building characters who end up being very powerful. For example, a friend of mine happens to have a jedi who replaces almost every skill check with use the force checks. I myself, on the other hand, have a spynet agent who's stealth mod is well over +20 without the class skill bonus or the character level added on. She also has an ability that let her roll a stealth check, and whatever her stealth score is with that roll is used for the entire party! :smallbiggrin:

I've been taking a look at what I can find about Saga Edition and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Now how on earth do I get my hands on it? Amazon doesn't ship used copies to my country and drivethrurpg.com doesn't seem to have ANY Star Wars books. So where does that leave me?

It has been discontinued, so it is a bit of a trick to get a hold o the books. If Amazon fails, E-Bay may be your best bet, although the prices have become quite high.

Sorry man. I've looked all over for a pdf of it that's legal, but no one sells it. This is probably due to WotC not owning the license anymore. But do not despair! For the Core book can be found in hard copy version for $35 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Roleplaying-Rulebook-Edition/dp/0786943564/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346628293&sr=8-1&keywords=Star+Wars+Saga+Edition+Core+Rulebook)!

As for most of the supplements, I know that five of them are available on Paizo's site. Sorry that I can't be of more help...

Alejandro
2012-09-05, 01:22 PM
Fair enough. Our group just doesn't approve of or let people optimize too hard, and we enjoy it that way.

Seatbelt
2012-09-06, 01:32 PM
In Saga any idiot can optimize as long as theyunderstand some basic stuff and have a certain degree of literacy. It doesn't take a genius to understand how to stack 3 or 4 talents and a couple bonus feats.

While in 3.5 there is a pretty significant gap between what looks good and what is good, and what looks good but is really terrible.

Everyone can see that attacks that let you bypass or reduce damage threshold are good, and that stacking condition track effects is awesome. But not everyone realizes that greater weapon specialization is not as good as a Wall of X spell, or that wizards can still win encounters at ECL 1.

So I'd argue that optimizing in saga is not the same as optimizing in 3.5

hamishspence
2012-09-06, 03:40 PM
There's a new Star Wars RPG system being beta-tested at the moment- from Fantasy Flight Games.

Alefiend
2012-09-06, 10:04 PM
There's a new Star Wars RPG system being beta-tested at the moment- from Fantasy Flight Games.

Jedi Sentinel'd! :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2012-09-07, 01:49 AM
Except for WFRP and Torg, are there any major rules sets that have not been adapted to Star Wars?

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-09-07, 06:53 AM
Except for WFRP and Torg, are there any major rules sets that have not been adapted to Star Wars?
World of Darkness and FATAL?

Ashtagon
2012-09-07, 09:27 AM
... and FATAL?

"You do not know the power of the Dark Side."

:smalleek:

Jeivar
2012-09-07, 06:17 PM

Huh. Any idea when it will go public?

hamishspence
2012-09-07, 07:08 PM
Not sure. The beta-test was only announced this year, at Gen-Con- might be a while before testing's complete.