PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Question About Wizard Spellbooks

Mr Tumnus
2012-09-01, 05:32 PM
Could someone explain this to me?

Is this saying that it costs half when you have the other spellbook in front of you?

Replacing and Copying Spellbooks
A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If she already has a particular spell prepared, she can write it directly into a new book at a cost of 100 gp per page (as noted in Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, above). The process wipes the prepared spell from her mind, just as casting it would. If she does not have the spell prepared, she can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.

Duplicating an existing spellbook uses the same procedure as replacing it, but the task is much easier. The time requirement and cost per page are halved.

TuggyNE
2012-09-01, 05:41 PM
Could someone explain this to me?

Is this saying that it costs half when you have the other spellbook in front of you?

Yes. This is in addition to any cost you might need to pay for the privilege of using another wizard's spellbook, of course.

Mr Tumnus
2012-09-01, 05:43 PM
Sweet, we have looted a couple spellbooks and I've been paying a hundred per page. This saves me a good amount of money.

olentu
2012-09-01, 05:53 PM
Yes. This is in addition to any cost you might need to pay for the privilege of using another wizard's spellbook, of course.

I am pretty sure spells copied from another spellbook or scroll and/or writing new spells is the more specifically applicable rule in this case.

But then again perhaps one can duplicate a spell book for half price but it is an exact duplicate. And by that I mean that one must replicate the whole spellbook and the process does not convert the spell book into your spellbook as it is a perfect duplicate.

Sweet, we have looted a couple spellbooks and I've been paying a hundred per page. This saves me a good amount of money.

if you have complete arcane it would be cheaper to just use the rules for mastering a foreign spellbook.

TuggyNE
2012-09-01, 09:36 PM
I am pretty sure spells copied from another spellbook or scroll and/or writing new spells is the more specifically applicable rule in this case.

Generally, wizards charge you for access to their spellbook, although it's less than the cost of scrolls. So copying out of someone else's spellbook is 50gp per page + whatever they charge for access (standard being, I believe, 50gp/page as well).

In this case, however, you own the looted spellbooks, so you only have to pay for inks etc for the copying.

olentu
2012-09-01, 10:02 PM
Generally, wizards charge you for access to their spellbook, although it's less than the cost of scrolls. So copying out of someone else's spellbook is 50gp per page + whatever they charge for access (standard being, I believe, 50gp/page as well).

In this case, however, you own the looted spellbooks, so you only have to pay for inks etc for the copying.

Yes and as I said spells copied from another spellbook or scroll and/or writing new spells into a spellbok are the sections that are applicable to copying a new spell from another spellbook. I say this because I get the idea that the question was not about complete duplication of a spellbook but rather about how much it costs to copy a new spell from another spellbook into your spellbook.