PDA

View Full Version : -1 LA Templates?

Trolouce
2012-09-01, 06:24 PM
i am building a character for the 4th time for a new campaign my DM will be starting in about a month or two. i am looking for -1 LA templates, this is for Pathfinder, my GM allows all Paizo, and PF compatible sources aswell as most 3.5 if it has not already been upgraded to PF by paizo or 3PP pathfinder compatible. the only one i have found so far is young, which is an interesting idea but i am cha focus and it gives -4 all but dex and reduces you by one size. so far i am making a samsaran oracle with advanced and crafty templates. the DM is letting us take an LA of 2 at lvl 1 and giving us our race's LA free.

TopCheese
2012-09-01, 07:01 PM
Xzart? Or something like that in 3.5 had a negative LA... I think..

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-01, 07:20 PM
Bet you could convince the DM that truenamer is worth negative LA...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-01, 08:10 PM
The only -LA template I know of is the Incarnate Cosnstruct from Savage Species.

CIDE
2012-09-01, 08:38 PM
Second the Incarnate Construct. Which doesn't help you at all since you've decided on a race. Template is added to any construct and turns them into a fleshy creature of the humanoid or giant type. Removes all of their construct traits (but technically not living construct subtype) as well as construct-based special abilities, natural armor, etc.

silverwolfer
2012-09-01, 08:43 PM
Necropolitan, you lose a level on creation

Most folks don't want to lose a level, therefore most designers do not make templates that have you lose levels.

tuesdayscoming
2012-09-02, 10:38 PM
I'm fairly certain Incarnum Construct is the one and only template in all of 3.5 that has a listed negative LA.

Mithril Leaf
2012-09-02, 11:23 PM
Young (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-young-cr-1) is only -4 to strength and constitution as far as I can tell if you're using the full template. I'm not well versed in PF so I'm not sure about the distinction between rebuild and quick rules.
As far as 3.5, the lesser variant arguable functions similarly to a -1 LA template, but that's fairly open to both debate and interpretation.

TuggyNE
2012-09-03, 12:16 AM
Necropolitan, you lose a level on creation

Most folks don't want to lose a level, therefore most designers do not make templates that have you lose levels.

I believe you have that backwards; negative LA would allow you to stick extra LA+ templates in, whereas Necropolitan acts like fractional LA or something similar. (And, in fact, it's quite common for templates and races to force you to give up levels.)

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 01:53 AM
I'm pretty sure Pathfinder does not use LA.

awa
2012-09-03, 06:45 PM
no it just use cr but their are some negative cr templates

zlefin
2012-09-03, 07:35 PM
is there a need for homebrew -1 LA templates?
As to actual templates; I don't know any taht haven't already been mentioned.
But I can homebrew some up with some thought.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-09-03, 08:23 PM
The problem with negative LA templates (which are almost universally hypothetical or homebrew, with one or two exceptions in the entirety of printed 3.5) is that it's incredibly difficult to make a template that has potent enough penalties to justify giving an extra class level (the most potent resource in D&D, pretty much) that can't be subverted by certain character types (e.g. -10 strength means nothing to a wizard) and doesn't make the character useless (one suggestion I saw gave a flat 50% failure rate to every action ever).