PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Druid?

CIDE
2012-09-01, 06:30 PM
Title pretty much says it. Is there a way to build an unarmed Druid? Doesn't have to break the game but I'd definitely like to make it effective still.

Any races, books, etc.

Snowbluff
2012-09-01, 06:34 PM
Dip Monk 1. Get around alignment.
Be something with a Wis bonus. Be good.

Luminous Armor + Wildshape Nat armor + Barkskin + Wis to AC= Lots of AC

Natural Attacks + Improved Unarmed Strike + Multiattack + 'Bite of' spells= lots of damage.

Frozen Wildshape can get you a Cryohydra form for max damage of awesome face pwning.

Versatile Spellcaster + Natural Spell = Scary Spell versatility while in wildshape.

Even better, the Wild Reaper Variant from Dragon Mag gets turn undead at 15. DMM druids are OP.

Additionally, there is a variant that lose Wildshape for Wis to AC, I believe.

God Imperror
2012-09-01, 06:52 PM
Be a daelkyr half blood for rapid strike?

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-09-01, 06:55 PM
I don't get the question. Most druids are unarmed, that is their forte. Do you seek to build a character that fights like a monk (in humanoid form) and has acces to druid spells?

Randomguy
2012-09-01, 06:57 PM
Completely unarmed (as in no wildshape) or punches people while in bear form unarmed?

Tvtyrant
2012-09-01, 07:17 PM
If you want to punch people really hard, you could grab Superior Unarmed Strike from Tome of Battle, and then get Giant Wildshape from the Master of Many Forms class. Then you can turn into a very large giant and punch them to death.

CIDE
2012-09-01, 08:46 PM
Unarmed damage/martial arts type of deal. Honestly, kind of made it a quest to find ways to play anything unarmed without homebrewing anything. I just like the style.

gorfnab
2012-09-01, 09:06 PM
Unarmored Body Warforged Monk 2/ Druid 3/ Landforged Walker 5/ Sacred Fist (Text trumps table) 10

The Redwolf
2012-09-02, 08:44 AM
Unarmored Body Warforged Monk 2/ Druid 3/ Landforged Walker 5/ Sacred Fist (Text trumps table) 10

He could also use a darkwood body (I think that's what it's called) as those are specifically made for warforged druids, then you keep some of the bonuses to armor and all that.

Urpriest
2012-09-02, 09:08 AM
He could also use a darkwood body (I think that's what it's called) as those are specifically made for warforged druids, then you keep some of the bonuses to armor and all that.

I think the point is not to retain Druid abilities, but to retain the Monk AC bonus.

That said, I agree with earlier posters: pretty much any melee character can fight unarmed with Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike, and anything natural attack-based gets extra benefit from not having to use their hands. Druid is not one of the more difficult classes to make fight unarmed by any means, and in fact at least having Improved Unarmed Strike is pretty basic optimization for a wildshape-focused Druid.

Rejakor
2012-09-02, 10:04 AM
For a non wildshaping druid, which I think is what you're after, you should probably check out the Shapeshift variant druid in PHBII. Fluff it as animalism, i.e. taking on the aspect of the beast without becoming the beast.

You lose your animal companion, so if you want one just be a druid and don't wildshape.

Monk 1 is a nice safe bet for picking up some decent AC later on and unarmed striking.

Some way to persist spells would be good, given that you're going to be relying on buffs (luminous armour and greater luminous armour, bite of the X, heart of X, primal X, Animal's X), but I don't really know what druids can do in that regard.

So it's very possible, but perhaps tell us what kind of power level your group normally plays at?

Rejakor
2012-09-02, 10:23 AM
Oh hey. You can trade away your wildshaping for monk AC bonus.

Check this out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58604). It's what happens if you trade away animal companion and wildshape to be a monkdruid, i.e. both variants in unearthed arcana.

9mm
2012-09-02, 10:27 AM
Oh hey. You can trade away your wildshaping for monk AC bonus.

Check this out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58604). It's what happens if you trade away animal companion and wildshape to be a monkdruid, i.e. both variants in unearthed arcana.

why on gods green earth would you trade two of the best druid abilities for what you can accomplish with two flaws, two feats, or a single level monk dip?

Rejakor
2012-09-02, 10:32 AM
Because you don't want to wildshape or have an animal companion? And yet want naturey flavour abilities and druid spells?

Also there is no way to get Wis to AC without wearing a monk's belt or dipping something, other than this.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-02, 11:08 AM
Just dip Monk 1 or wear the monk's belt. Gotta love it when the simplest solutions are also the strongest ones.

Rejakor
2012-09-02, 12:36 PM
If he doesn't want to wildshape, though, it might save him 13k.

Although wildshape is always fun for turning into birds or moles or whatever.

Oh, hey! Fist of the Forest. Good times.

Gwendol
2012-09-02, 01:09 PM
You could even make it work with Vow of Poverty.

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-02, 02:20 PM
Fists of the Forest PRC is fun. Only 3 levels long, so it won't hurt your casting too badly, and lot's of sexy features. CON to AC, a type of rage, and unarmed damage as if you took 8 levels of monk. Plus assorted goodies. It's from Complete Champion. Prerequisites are 3 feats and 4 BAB.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-09-02, 04:13 PM
I am pretty sure you are not supposed to post such info and links, Wise Green Bean. You might want to remove it. :smallsmile:

animewatcha
2012-09-02, 05:31 PM
If you don't mind losing 2 CLs and worshipping the moon. Can dip into moon-warded ranger for 'armor of the senses'. Functions like the monk's wis to ac except you can wear light armor and still have wis to ac. It with a monk's belt for 2 x wis to ac.

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-02, 06:21 PM
Thanks. Never looked at the posting rules. Inconvenient, but oh well, I get it. Seems odd with the out of print stuff.