View Full Version : Ring of Masters Touch, price check please

silverwolfer
2012-09-02, 02:05 AM
So was trying to figure out the price

Masters Touch is a level 1 spell 1x

No component so no cost there na

First Level caster strength 1x

Unlimited/continues use 2,000

So all together it comes out to 2,000 to make a Masters Touch Ring?

((The spells provides you the ability to be proficiency in the item your touching, and only that item ))

Compared to a mages hand which is 900, am I over valuing the price, or undervaluing it, due to the effects of the spell.

Mnemnosyne
2012-09-02, 05:35 AM
4,000 actually, following the pricing recommendations in the DMG. Note the modifiers for spell duration. Minute/level spell duration means multiply the cost by 2.

That said, it's one of those spells that works fine as a spell but would be excessive to put into an item, just like the commonly noted item of use-activated true strike which would effectively be a +20 bonus to hit on all attacks.

Such items are worth much more than the price suggestions imply, which is why the table is titled as 'estimating' values rather than giving hard rules for them. If the item sounds like it's worth way more than that, it probably is.

That said, I wouldn't price a ring of master's touch too particularly high. 10-15k would probably do it for me.

watchwood
2012-09-02, 07:12 AM
Just for proficiency of a single item? That seems pretty excessive. 4k gold seems plenty reasonable to me.

Glimbur
2012-09-02, 07:29 AM
Just for proficiency of a single item? That seems pretty excessive. 4k gold seems plenty reasonable to me.

You could compare it to other items that grant feats. The Ioun Stone that grants alertness is 10,000 but slotless. There is a fanged ring in some book that gives Improved Unarmed Strike. The Mobility armor enchantment costs like a +1 bonus, so minimum 3k.

I'd be ok with 4k and a ring slot in exchange for proficiency with any weapon you pick up. You could use... a flindbar, a net, a harpoon, a minotaur greathorn hammer, some monk weapons... I don't really see the danger to the game. (Exotic) Weapons just aren't that good. Even as a rogue using this to swing a great sword, you only add another d6 on average.

Boci
2012-09-02, 07:36 AM
You could compare it to other items that grant feats. The Ioun Stone that grants alertness is 10,000 but slotless. There is a fanged ring in some book that gives Improved Unarmed Strike. The Mobility armor enchantment costs like a +1 bonus, so minimum 3k.

I'd be ok with 4k and a ring slot in exchange for proficiency with any weapon you pick up. You could use... a flindbar, a net, a harpoon, a minotaur greathorn hammer, some monk weapons... I don't really see the danger to the game. (Exotic) Weapons just aren't that good. Even as a rogue using this to swing a great sword, you only add another d6 on average.

But this is proficiency with any item touched, giving it a bit more versatility than a single feat. You're effectively proficient with all exotic weapons, so I'd say 10k is reasonable, since I expect a player with such a ring to be using a number of weapons.

silverwolfer
2012-09-02, 11:52 AM
Hmm that is a tad steep, to be proficient in just one item , at any single one time.

If did 5 recharges per day, instead of use when ever you want. That would drop the price back down to 2,000?

and how do wondrous items get around the price thing?

Boci
2012-09-02, 12:09 PM
Hmm that is a tad steep, to be proficient in just one item , at any single one time.

How many times are you wielding multiple items simultaneously?

If did 5 recharges per day, instead of use when ever you want. That would drop the price back down to 2,000?

5 times per day is the same as at will/continuous. Charges per day divides the price by (5/charges per day), so for 5 charges you divide the price by (5/5), or 1.

Edit: So 800gp for 1/day, 1,600go for 2/day, 2,400gp for 3/day and 3,200gp for 4/day).

and how do wondrous items get around the price thing?

The prices are just guidelines, some items cost more than the formula would indicate, some items presumably cost less.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-02, 12:11 PM
A TWF build wielding exotic weapons? (Dragonsplit are quiet useful).

Boci
2012-09-02, 12:15 PM
A TWF build wielding exotic weapons? (Dragonsplit are quiet useful).

So make sure the two EW are the same kind. Never mind, misread the spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-02, 12:18 PM
I don't have my books at hand, why or how did you misread the spell?

Also another option is a double weapon (Double Kopesh is also pretty good, decent damage and trip weapon).

Boci
2012-09-02, 12:22 PM
I don't have my books at hand, why or how did you misread the spell?

At first glance I thought the wording of the spell made you proficient with the weapon held in one hand, allowing you to wield the same weapon in your offhand, but it specifically states that only the weapon in one hand at the time of the casting:

This spell does not grant proficiency for a kind or category of item
(such as short swords) but only for the one specific item held in your hand at the time the spell is cast (this short sword). Should you set that item down or otherwise lose your grip on it, the proficiency does not transfer to a different item of the same kind you might pick up. However, if you recover the original item before the spell’s effect runs out, you are still proficient with that specific weapon or shield for the duration.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-02, 12:25 PM
Then double weapons are the way to go in a TWF build..

silverwolfer
2012-09-02, 12:32 PM
lol, no to all of the above, I would have it only for one item in my hand at any time, I am not a super optimizer, but the idea that I can use any weapon , seems like a fun fact.

Are you sure? If continuous the price modification is x2... I don't see a part in the rules that say 5 per day = continous , as it would make the modifier x1 .

Boci
2012-09-02, 12:35 PM
Are you sure? If continuous the price modification is x2... I don't see a part in the rules that say 5 per day = continous , as it would make the modifier x1 .

It doesn't say it anywhere, but due to the formula a 5 use/day item divides the base price by 1, leaving you with the same price you had before.

silverwolfer
2012-09-02, 12:59 PM
Alright time for me to learn something

if a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

So if I did it the first post way

level one spell 1
level one caster 1
unlimted use 2,000
Becuase it has rounds 2,000

Equals 4,000 (2,000+2,000)x1x1

Now the new way

level one spell 1
level one caster 1
Uses per day divide by 5 on the number As we are doing 5 5/5= 1

As I don't fully know where am using for my gold counter I will use the place holder of 2,000 gp again .

1x1x1x2,000= 2,000

So for the sake of my future education, of not making my DM pissed off, can you show me where am going wrong lol.

Boci
2012-09-02, 01:02 PM
Alright time for me to learn something

So if I did it the first post way

level one spell 1
level one caster 1
unlimted use 2,000
Becuase it has rounds 2,000

Equals 4,000 (2,000+2,000)x1x1

Now the new way

level one spell 1
level one caster 1
Uses per day divide by 5 on the number As we are doing 5 5/5= 1

As I don't fully know where am using for my gold counter I will use the place holder of 2,000 gp again .

1x1x1x2,000= 2,000

So for the sake of my future education, of not making my DM pissed off, can you show me where am going wrong lol.

You divide the final result (4,000gp in this case) by 1. 2,000gp is unrelated to the price of the ring, its simply a step in the process. Only once you have done all the multiplications and you have the item's final price do you apply the modifier for charges/day.

silverwolfer
2012-09-02, 01:29 PM
Hmm, Okay think I saw where i went wrong. I thought continuous was a condition for something that was long going as a permanent like effect, not a spell that mearly has a duration.

This is a conditional that would apply no matter if, made an item that was one time use, or a 50 charged item?